Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think you're inadvertently agreeing with my point.

There are a lot of people who associate a certain gravitas to a media outlet, and this the writers they have.
    Because of this, the likes of Jones, Francis, etc should be called out whenever it's warranted.

Otherwise how does the average Joe KNOW that they are just pay packet leeching contrarians.

If one doesn’t question a journalist because of the paper he writes for then they have a problem. Just because joe Duffy works for RTÉ doesn’t make him reputable like the team on RTE investigates / prime time are. Most people can separate the individual from the organisation, people didn’t have an issue with the daily mirror / NOTW they had a problem with piers Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They're losing 0-17 to Harlequins after 22 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Clegg wrote: »
    They're losing 0-17 to Harlequins after 22 minutes.

Harlequins lucky not to have got a yellow before Sarries scored but all sympathy is gone as a) it’s Sarries and b] Lozowski jumped into a tackle and rolled to score.

34-14 Harlequins

Dombrandt has been excellent. Best forward on the pitch. Would like to know what Jones doesn't fancy about his game.

• Advertisement

41-14 Harlequins. Saracens pushing to keep the ball in play and get a try. Their player throws a speculative offload, it's intercepted and Harlequins run over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That must be tasty for Quins fans in the stadium.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That must be tasty for everybody but sarries fans.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Some performance by Quins, really shows the gap between the Premiership and the championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Marcus Smith was unplayable. Fantastic watch.

• Advertisement

The veil is slipping big time at Sarries. Jackson Wray stood down by Luke Pearce as captain with 2 mins left as he felt their communication had broken down. He was right too. Talk about being put in your place.

razorblunt wrote: »
    The veil is slipping big time at Sarries. Jackson Wray stood down by Luke Pearce as captain with 2 mins left as he felt their communication had broken down. He was right too. Talk about being put in your place.

Brutal stuff by Wray. Refusing to talk to Pearce and just chatting back to him when Pearce asked if he wanted to work with him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/eu95lc/luke_pearce_relegates_wray_from_being_captain_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The place must be in complete disarray. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to steady the ship in the coming weeks. I don't care if they have a rake of stars to come back after the 6N...if the place is toxic, they can't just flick a switch to fix that. It needs to be addressed now.

It was a heavily weakened side but there's not a hope in hell that selection has 40 put on them by Quins a month ago. It still had multiple capped players throughout. I expected it to be a relatively close contest.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bookies only had 2 points between them before the game.

You'd have to question how a player can be mentally with nothing to play for before a game.

Buer wrote: »
    The place must be in complete disarray. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to steady the ship in the coming weeks. I don't care if they have a rake of stars to come back after the 6N...if the place is toxic, they can't just flick a switch to fix that. It needs to be addressed now.

It was a heavily weakened side but there's not a hope in hell that selection has 40 put on them by Quins a month ago. It still had multiple capped players throughout. I expected it to be a relatively close contest.

Wasn't even a full strength Quins team either. Missing Chisolm, Campagnaro, Sinckler, Marler, Ibitoye.

Brutal stuff by Wray. Refusing to talk to Pearce and just chatting back to him when Pearce asked if he wanted to work with him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/eu95lc/luke_pearce_relegates_wray_from_being_captain_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Lost his head big time.
    Pearce was well able for him and Sarries in general, they were a bit boisterous in the first half but he slapped them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Love this comment underneath:
    "At this point it's just a discriminatory witch hunt conspiracy against anyone named Wray."

-Stephen Jones, probably.

---

I must say I've really warmed to Pearce as a ref over the last year or so.

His performances have been top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

razorblunt wrote: »
    Lost his head big time.
    Pearce was well able for him and Sarries in general, they were a bit boisterous in the first half but he slapped them down.

Luke Pearce is a brilliant ref. I felt he should have been given more responsibility at the World Cup, he is always calm and collected and I’ve never seen him have a bad game. His demeanour is positive and he listens and talks well with players

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Feed me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Bookies only had 2 points between them before the game.

You'd have to question how a player can be mentally with nothing to play for before a game.

I think a lot of these players do have something to play for and that's a transfer at the end of the season. You imagine most if not all are in the shop window or being walked out so they'll need to show that they'd be good acquisitions otherwise they'll find it hard to find a club next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think a lot of these players do have something to play for and that's a transfer at the end of the season. You imagine most if not all are in the shop window or being walked out so they'll need to show that they'd be good acquisitions otherwise they'll find it hard to find a club next year.

I imagine once they agree a deal elsewhere they'll phone it in or do the minimum while still at Saracens.

Stolen from Reddit, gave me a good laugh anyhow

ggC6vXH.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That Vahaamahina meme is going to get a new lease of life.

Reports on Saracens forum on a number of their players and who is interested in them:

Ben Spencer (Bath and Exeter); Alex Lozowski (Gloucester and Sale); Nick Isiekwe (Harlequins); Max Malins (Exeter); Nick Tompkins (Ospreys); Matt Gallagher (Munster); Rhys Carre (Cardiff); George Kruis (Japan); Jack Singleton (Leicester).

Spencer to Bath would make a lot of sense for them. It's a significant weakness for them. Based on the above, it would appear that Saracens are hoping to retain the majority of their big name stars and it's the guys who just a tier below that who are potentially on their way out. The majority of the above are still capped internationals with a lot of quality.

If they offloaded the above along with Liam Williams, I could very easily see them being under the salary cap. They could absorb a lot of the above too without damaging their starting team too much also although Spencer would be a big loss given Wigglesworth is on the verge of retirement. It would definitely hurt them for the test windows though. I would imagine a number of academy guys will be seeing a lot of game time next season to blood them for the return to the top flight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »
    Reports on Saracens forum on a number of their players and who is interested in them:

Ben Spencer (Bath and Exeter); Alex Lozowski (Gloucester and Sale); Nick Isiekwe (Harlequins); Max Malins (Exeter); Nick Tompkins (Ospreys); Matt Gallagher (Munster); Rhys Carre (Cardiff); George Kruis (Japan); Jack Singleton (Leicester).

Spencer to Bath would make a lot of sense for them. It's a significant weakness for them. Based on the above, it would appear that Saracens are hoping to retain the majority of their big name stars and it's the guys who just a tier below that who are potentially on their way out. The majority of the above are still capped internationals with a lot of quality.

If they offloaded the above along with Liam Williams, I could very easily see them being under the salary cap. They could absorb a lot of the above too without damaging their starting team too much also although Spencer would be a big loss given Wigglesworth is on the verge of retirement. It would definitely hurt them for the test windows though. I would imagine a number of academy guys will be seeing a lot of game time next season to blood them for the return to the top flight.

Reportedly they will have to spend two seasons in the Championship, if they cannot prove compliance with the salary cap for this season. Can't see the big stars staying around for that.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Reportedly they will have to spend two seasons in the Championship, if they cannot prove compliance with the salary cap for this season. Can't see the big stars staying around for that.

Fair point. It's all very quiet on that front though. It was discussed a lot initially but mainly on social media and I haven't seen any official comment on it or it gain much traction in the print media.

If they're going to be gone for 2 years, I would have expected it to be a lot more pointedly discussed at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I always thought that the IRFU funding multiple teams was a little iffy too. No way would someone be allowed to bankroll competing football teams.
    Often, say Leinster players are rested on orders from up high - this could benefit their opponents say Munster who are also run by the IRFU.
    The optics are not good imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I always thought that the IRFU funding multiple teams was a little iffy too. No way would someone be allowed to bankroll competing football teams.
    Often, say Leinster players are rested on orders from up high - this could benefit their opponents say Munster who are also run by the IRFU.
    The optics are not good imo

I think this came up before (possibly when Altrad tried to buy Gloucester?) and as far as I can recall, World Rugby's response was essentially that it's a different scenario as the IRFU are the union and have much more of a vested interest in growing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zzippy wrote: »

I don't believe this will be the case. The rules were not written for this scenario and it would be punishing them twice over for the same offence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't believe this will be the case. The rules were not written for this scenario and it would be punishing them twice over for the same offence.

Considering they've been over the cap for 5 of the last 6 seasons, I don't think too many people would shed a tear about that. You're probably right on the first point, PRL will find a way around the regulation that states teams must show compliance with the cap for the previous two seasons in order to be promoted. Sarries are too big a draw wrt TV etc to be allowed languish in the Championship for two years.

Advertisement