Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The media reporting obviously plays a part in this as we've heard numerous accounts of what was going on throughout the ordeal, and I'm sure PRL were thinking more from a legal standpoint in terms of making statements etc, but it's just one big mess.
    Just on that. PRL said that they had legal letters from Saracens preventing them from releasing the report. Obviously details of player remuneration should remain confidential, but threats didn't help clarify things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

So hold on......and another 70 points deducted??
    Am I reading those reports right? They hardly get carried into Div 1 do they hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And give up their first born

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

* Saracens deducted 105 points for breaches to the Salary Cap regulations

Apparently so :pac::pac::pac:

It's relegation. 70 points is just a number to ensure they are relegated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I think that part of it is tit for tat stuff. Wray came out with his statement again this week, always says that he was only helping players, looking after them etc....... but always makes PRL look silly. They have the power to keep sanctioning them. One minute they say sorry and then accept the punishment and the next are shouting innocent..... if they accept the punishment then they should just be silent and move on. The media are loving this, fills lots of pages and social media. Sarries need to make plans for the championship and move on. Otherwise they will be down a few more levels if they keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Once it was announced that they were being relegated their results should have been expunged. It's inherently unfair on everyone from earlier in the season. It's a nonsense of a situation.

I'm not sure about that I mean what is supposed to happen for the rest of the season?

If results wont count why would teams bother playing sarries any further

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that I mean what is supposed to happen for the rest of the season?

Well , Yes..

Use the 5M fine to cover any lost gate receipts for the other clubs and give all the players a weekend off.

Any games already complete just get removed from the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Well , Yes..

Use the 5M fine to cover any lost gate receipts for the other clubs and give all the players a weekend off.

so what?.. Sarries squad of players just don't play for 7/8 months?

a little OTT tbh

it is the club rather than players to be punished in my view

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

a little OTT tbh

So? - All the games they play for the rest of the year are little more than training sessions or to be used to build a highlight reel for their next contract.

The games are all utterly pointless now

But those teams that played Saracens in the first 9 or 10 rounds of the league will rightly be a bit hacked off that everyone else gets to get 5 points and a Points Diff bump for free..

Other than the Euro QF , Farrell et al probably won't pull on a Saracens jersey again this season..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So? - All the games they play for the rest of the year are little more than training sessions or to be used to build a highlight reel for their next contract.

But those teams that played Saracens in the first 9 or 10 rounds of the league will rightly be a bit hacked off that everyone else gets to get 5 points and a Points Diff bump for free..

Other than the Euro QF , Farrell et al probably won't pull on a Saracens jersey again this season..

Farrell and the rest of the players will want to play. SO I very much doubt they will all be sitting up for the rest of the season

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Farrell and the rest of the players will want to play. SO I very much doubt they will all be sitting up for the rest of the season

Perhaps , but they won't play between now and the QF as they'll be with England.

If they lose the QF (which hopefully they will) then at that point there will be about a half dozen league games left , if their Internationals suit up twice in that run of game I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Perhaps , but they won't play between now and the QF as they'll be with England.

If they lose the QF (which hopefully they will) then at that point there will be about a half dozen league games left , if their Internationals suit up twice in that run of game I'd be surprised.

Any of the players heading away on the English summer tour will have to play. Other not so much. But Saracens have already pissed off enough fans. Sending out a weak side in front of season ticket holders would be cause them even more hassle. I expect to see them sparingly, but at home a fair amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well , Yes..

This is what should have happened.

It makes a mockery of this year's League even more than would have already happened.

a little OTT tbh

This is the key to the stupidity of the whole situation.

The money was already shared out to the other clubs. Exeter gave their allocation to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's no precedent to give teams points for games they lost, and I don't think it'd really work.

Melbourne Storm when they breached the cap were not allowed to earn any points for games played, but teams weren't given walkovers and still had to earn points (as there'd be TBP wins up for grabs etc) and could still lose if Storm decided to show up.

There's also the element of national team players, you can't just tell a big cohort of players they're not allowed play for the season, and it'd completely kill Saracens off financially if they had to pay players but got no revenue for ticket sales and potentially losing sponsorship money for the season depending on contracts.

Even if you gave points back to teams, I'm sure there'd also be complaints from teams who played Sarries that teams who haven't already have to play one less game than the rest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I’m not sure that Nigel Wrey is going to take all this lying down yet, I would be surprised if his solicitors didn’t see an opportunity in the PRL rules (Which look weak) to launch a legal challlenge against the decision that has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I’m not sure that Nigel Wrey is going to take all this lying down yet, I would be surprised if his solicitors didn’t see an opportunity in the PRL rules (Which look weak) to launch a legal challlenge against the decision that has been made.

Action for what? They had the chance to appeal the deduction and relegation and accepted it. Not much he can personally take action for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you don't use appeal systems in place first, legal challenges tend not to be looked kindly upon. Doubt he would get anywhere.

Action for what? They had the chance to appeal the deduction and relegation and accepted it. Not much he can personally take action for.

He wouldn’t be the first to take legal action where there is very little chance of winning.

It appears from the outside that the rules which govern the permership are not the most stringent, it’s entirely possible that they could look for a way out of the automatic relegation that has been sanctioned.

• Advertisement

He wouldn’t be the first to take legal action where there is very little chance of winning.

It appears from the outside that the rules which govern the permership are not the most stringent, it’s entirely possible that they could look for a way out of the automatic relegation that has been sanctioned.

He's no longer involved with the club in an official capacity. They've also legally accepted the sanction when they were given a window to appeal. They can't revoke the acceptance, it's not how it works. Even where appeals go the whole way to CAS, they require exhausting the appeals system. Saracens didn't appeal.

So all it leaves is him taking a personal action. But he hasn't been sanctioned as an individual so he's got nothing there either.

He's no longer involved with the club in an official capacity. They've also legally accepted the sanction when they were given a window to appeal. They can't revoke the acceptance, it's not how it works. Even where appeals go the whole way to CAS, they require exhausting the appeals system. Saracens didn't appeal.

So all it leaves is him taking a personal action. But he hasn't been sanctioned as an individual so he's got nothing there either.

TheY accepted the points deduction, the relegation is what I’m talking about and the procedure through which that was reached, and if you think Nigel Wrey is not involved with Sarries your very naive

TheY accepted the points deduction, the relegation is what I’m talking about and the procedure through which that was reached, and if you think Nigel Wrey is not involved with Sarries your very naive

They accepted the relegation. In fact, they chose the relegation from other options.

They don't have a legal leg to stand on if they have not appealed through the PRL system first.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They accepted the relegation. In fact, they chose the relegation from other options.

They don't have a legal leg to stand on if they have not appealed through the PRL system first.

“They don’t have legal leg to stand on”

Is that professional opinion as a legally qualified expert who is knowledgable about the rules and regulations of the PRL or just your opinion?

Being given a choice of losing your left or your right testicle doesn’t mean you have to accept either.

I said he's no longer there in an official capacity so he has no footing from a Saracens perspective. Hes of course still involved but his role doesn't carry any weight with the league.

Is that professional opinion as a legally qualified expert who is knowledgable about the rules and regulations of the PRL or just your opinion?

It's probably on the accepted and widely known basis that CAS accept appeals only where you've appealed through the official channels. They accepted the sanction, game over.

You can't plead guilty in a trial to an offence, be convicted and appeal the conviction. Very similar to this.

Being given a choice of losing your left or your right testicle doesn’t mean you have to accept either.

The rules and regulations of the PRL are irrelevant. They signed up to them and had the ability to appeal their judgement through systems in place in those rules and regulations. If there is something legally wrong with the rules such a point can generally only be argued after you have appealed it through the systems in place. You can not just run off to the courts the first time something you don't like happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's no chance Wray tries to bring this to court, he then runs the risk of a court saying he has to open the books, which was the whole reason they chose to accept the relegation, to stop any further investigation.

There's no chance Wray tries to bring this to court, he then runs the risk of a court saying he has to open the books, which was the whole reason they chose to accept the relegation, to stop any further investigation.

My suspicion is that within their accounts lies a series of other, more serious issues and consequences for those running the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

My suspicion is that within their accounts lies a series of other, more serious issues and consequences for those running the club.

The money was just resting in their accounts? ;)

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    The money was just resting in their accounts? ;)

Nigel Wray has two arses.

Advertisement