Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

duploelabs wrote: »
    Explain why it's bias? What did the Trump instigated investigation/report into voter fraud find?

Pat Kenny is complaining about Trump not wearing a mask, protestors carrying guns and a few other things. He is telling his phone in American guest that trump is wrong on everything. Twitter not mentioned. Different story

I don't know what the report found. Who carried it out? Im only referring to twitter fact checking his posts

Twitter needs to suspend him... what he do if couldn’t vent ? Press conferences at the White House at 3am

I don't think they can by law. He's a unique user at this point. He can say what he want and its deemed information that the public must have access to. He can't block anyone either. It went to court a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is complaining about Trump not wearing a mask, protestors carrying guns and a few other things. He is telling his phone in American guest that trump is wrong on everything. Twitter not mentioned. Different story

I don't know what the report found. Who carried it out? Im only referring to twitter fact checking his posts

Trump is suggesting that mail-in voter fraud is a thing. His own investigation found to the contrary. Twitter labeled his tweet as misleading

I don't think they can by law. He's a unique user at this point. He can say what he want and its deemed information that the public must have access to. He can't block anyone either. It went to court a while back.

What happened to the opinion that twitter, FB, YouTube etc can ban anyone they choosy as they are a private business.

They have the power to ban him of they choose but as with all businesses they are watching their bottom line. Keep an eye on twitter stock as this spat inevitably develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

What law could insist that a private social media platform couldn't ban a user who is breaching it's Ts & Cs?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe include the context of your own posts, we can't debate with you if you're having your own little vent the rest of us aren't privvy to. For reference, this is the tweet about Postal Fraud

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265255835124539392?

It's up to Trump to prove his accusation - that's literally how these sort of things work. It's not on Twitter to disprove it. Otherwise I could accuse you of being a lizard alien and it's on you to prove it. Burden of proof is always with the person making the claim.

If you follow the link on the Tweet flagging the fact checking, it takes you here:
    https://twitter.com/i/events/1265330601034256384

The sources are quoted: "Fact checking" isn't hard. You just need bodies to chase sources. It's not magic, or something arcane. Just requires patience and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know what the report found. Who carried it out?

The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity was created by Trump, to investigate his claims that millions of illegal immigrants voted illegally and that was why he lost the popular vote to Hilary.

They didn't find anything. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

As for Twitter's fact checking, it's a summary of different news organisations. It's not opinion, or the ramblings of an egotisitical, petty man-child, it's facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

And yet he still has

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrFan/status/1262793642256879616

What happened to the opinion that twitter, FB, YouTube etc can ban anyone they choosy as they are a private business

I'd have to look it up but the rules changed for Trump as he's a public official and he choose to use twitter to speak to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People are accusing Jack Dorsey of murder to test if Trump is receiving preferential treatment"

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/dorsey-trump-scarborough-twitter-murder/

He is receiving preferential treatment, his lies and dangerous tweets about covid-19 are allowed to remain while Brazil's leader and Maduro I think in Venezuela have had their misleading tweets deleted. As always with Trump he is receiving preferential treatment but it isn't enough for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

What happened to the opinion that twitter, FB, YouTube etc can ban anyone they choosy as they are a private business.

They have the power to ban him of they choose but as with all businesses they are watching their bottom line. Keep an eye on twitter stock as this spat inevitably develops.

I think the it's better to keep him there and fact check the tweets. A good way for people to learn.

Penn wrote: »
    The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity was created by Trump, to investigate his claims that millions of illegal immigrants voted illegally and that was why he lost the popular vote to Hilary.

They didn't find anything. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

As for Twitter's fact checking, it's a summary of different news organisations. It's not opinion, or the ramblings of an egotisitical, petty man-child, it's facts.

In that case because it's been investigated and by Trump's "side" and found to be not happening Trump is full of it. No argument

I still wouldn't take what twitter or any other private company as gospel

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe include the context of your own posts, we can't debate with you if you're having your own little vent the rest of us aren't privvy to. For reference, this is the tweet about Postal Fraud

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265255835124539392?

It's up to Trump to prove his accusation - that's literally how these sort of things work. It's not on Twitter to disprove it. Otherwise I could accuse you of being a lizard alien and it's on you to prove it. Burden of proof is always with the person making the claim.

If you follow the link on the Tweet flagging the fact checking, it takes you here:

The sources are quoted: "Fact checking" isn't hard. You just need bodies to chase sources. It's not magic, or something arcane. Just requires patience and time.

Why?
    Other posters understood straight away. If you aren't sure just ask

Why?
    Other posters understood straight away. If you aren't sure just ask

TBF to pixelburp I found it a bit confusing too.

In that case because it's been investigated and by Trump's "side" and found to be not happening Trump is full of it. No argument

And Twitter aren't saying "This is our opinion", it's a combination of news sources, and noted as such.

So which would you consider more trustworthy (not gospel, just more trustworthy); Multiple verified, attributable news sources, or Trump's tweet with no back-up data?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tbf, you entered a discussion regarding Twitter, had a pop at that in terms of bias and then tagged on a bit about pat Kenny having a whinge on newstalk, finishing with talk about bias

So it's not exactly clear that you are no longer talking about the ongoing discussion, that you have veered off into your own bug bear.

Looked more like pat Kenny was whinging about the Twitter fact checking thing also tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As said, if you follow the actual "Fact check" link, it takes you to a page that outlines the sources disproving Trump's claim. It's not Twitter's gospel, it's the press' investigations, Twitter is just pulling a Snopes here and collating the information for the browser to decide. Not a question of gospels. You already quoted the link so I presume you ignored it. Here it is again:

One doesn't have to like Twitter to see the quantifiable effort they're making to at least challenge easily-verifiable lies spouted by the President. As also mentioned, by any accounts Trump should be banned for his Scarborough comments but is shielded by his status and the blowback Twitter would receive.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    TBF to pixelburp I found it a bit confusing too.

Same here, the switch to talking about Pat Kenny on the radio made no sense to anyone who wasn't listening to Pat Kenny on the radio.

pixelburp wrote: »
    As said, if you follow the actual "Fact check" link, it takes you to a page that outlines the sources disproving Trump's claim. It's not Twitter's gospel, it's the press' investigations, Twitter is just pulling a Snopes here and collating the information for the browser to decide. Not a question of gospels. You already quoted the link so I presume you ignored it. Here it is again:

One doesn't have to like Twitter to see the quantifiable effort they're making to at least challenge easily-verifiable lies spouted by the President. As also mentioned, by any accounts Trump should be banned for his Scarborough comments but is shielded by his status and the blowback Twitter would receive.

Yep it's good. And he often tweets false claims. E.g.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1262364231288197123

So this one is easily proven to be false.

Is the plan going forward that they fact check any false tweet now, or is it just now and again?

Penn wrote: »
    Same here, the switch to talking about Pat Kenny on the radio made no sense to anyone who wasn't listening to Pat Kenny on the radio.

Yep exactly. Ah looks like it was not clear to a good few of us. No harm, lesson learnt I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why do people automatically take Twitter fact check as actual fact?

Is it anti Trumpism? People complaining about how twitter conduct themselves regularly yet once they go against Trump suddenly their word is golden.

Now that's not to say what Trump is saying isn't bullsh1t just interesting that twitter staff are suddenly all knowing

The fact check says there Trump said this without evidence. Unless someone can provide evidence for Trumps claims Twitter is indeed correct that he made the voter fraud claim without evidence.

Twitter are not all knowing. They have managed the basic principle of obvious lie is obvious lie which is not quite the same thing as all knowing.

Their fact check was just a link to the news story about said tweet. So people can make up their minds after reading that.

Is the plan going forward that they fact check any false tweet now, or is it just now and again?

I imagine it'll just be used for things that are of national importance, such as the virus and the election. It's their way of keeping him on Twitter, letting him say whatever he wants, and still claim they're doing something.

In fairness, this isn't the worst of ways they could deal with it. It's better than just flagging the tweet as "potentially false" or anything. But he's still allowed to say whatever he wants (even if it's clearly false, defamatory or whatever), it'll still get through to his voters many of whom won't check or trust the fact-checking and it won't really change anything other than making it look like Twitter are doing something.

He should be banned from Twitter for some of the things he's said, particularly the Scarborough thing. Twitter previously said they wouldn't ban world leaders because their tweets are of national importance etc, but they still said they could be banned for extreme things. Accusing someone of murder just because he complains about him on TV... how the f*ck does that not get him banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It could be just lip service for the outrage about the Joe Scarborough claim, if it's just a one-off or change in policy remains to be seen

It could be just lip service for the outrage about the Joe Scarborough claim, if it's just a one-off or change in policy remains to be seen

Oh, it's 100% lip service: without sounding completely smart arsed, I doubt Twitter's "fact check" department is large enough that it could dedicate resources to chase up on every tweet of Trump's. There's simply too much exaggeration, lies and vulgar conspiracy theorising for a sane company to be able to deal with. It's not even comparable with other politicians' own accounts - sure, dissembling and exaggeration is par for the course on these self-inflating accounts but Trump takes it to the Nth degree.

Looks like I did confuse others. My bad.

Looks like I did confuse others. My bad I

I just listened to that Pat Kenny segment. It's up as podcast now for anyone interested.

Tillman, who was happy to be referred to as a Trump supporter, really couldn't answer any of the questions could he? He seems a bit bias in favour of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Roanmore wrote: »
    Was he slagging Biden about wearing a mask?

Yes

I just listened to that Pat Kenny segment. It's up as podcast now for anyone interested.

Tillman, who was happy to be referred to as a Trump supporter, really couldn't answer any of the questions could he? He seems a bit bias in favour of Trump.

If you bring on a supporter of whoever then obviously you can expect biased answers. But shouldn't Pat Kenny who is a media man and who's show is broadcasting throughout Ireland at least pretend to be neutral ? Or have we just given up on a fair media?

Or have we just given up on a fair media?

You always want to discuss the media, I've told you in the past that I agree media is bias. We may need to move on from this as we agree media is bias.

You are bias / I am bias. People are bias.

But we do have access to lots of verifiable facts we can discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"People are accusing Jack Dorsey of murder to test if Trump is receiving preferential treatment"

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/dorsey-trump-scarborough-twitter-murder/

Even better they have now started a rumour that Trump killed an intern because he got her pregnant and was going to the press :D

https://twitter.com/weaselx86/status/1265378076088627200?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement