Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Cody montana

peddlelies wrote: »
    What do people expect the reaction of twitter fact checking to to be when the person in charge of it regularly tweets out stuff like this?

It's just a bad road to go down man, things work better if people are left to make up their own minds. Everyone has political bias, I don't like the idea that everything should be policed and to put pure blind faith into so called "fact checks". At what point does opinion bleed over?

https://twitter.com/yoyoel/status/823312771416588288

https://twitter.com/yoyoel/status/890812999874691073

When he posts facts which are incorrect, which he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was Memorial Day on Monday, so obviously there were a lot of pleas for folks to be sensible and stay at home. Advice ignored apparently in the Ozarks, where a number of viral videos have surfaced showing CoVid Pool Parties in full swing. Now, obviously you can't put one incident at the feet of Trump - personal responsibility is always an important aspect regardless - but in terms of setting a mood or narrative that downplays the severity of the overall crisis, it's hard not to draw a cognitive link between this kind of brazen ignorance and the example set by national leadership.

(And obviously with viral video, some healthy scepticism as to the source applies here but there are a number of varying videos knocking about all pertaining to the same time & place).

https://twitter.com/scottpasmoretv/status/1264394565861232640

https://twitter.com/maxbaker_15/status/1264386140720771076

So many Karen journos around .

Trump is awful we can agree, but we see this in plenty of red and blue states so blaming Trump for this is a little lazy.

Young people just aren't designed for this sort of isolation. Look at Ireland, we have adopted a more cautious approach than Trump and you will see examples of young people ignoring social distancing. Bank holiday weekend coming also so expect Karen's everywhere. Do we blame Leo for the upcoming breaches?

I don't think young people should be doing this as they are in so many nations, but blaming the leader who I assume many loath I don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What do people expect the reaction of twitter fact checking to to be when the person in charge of it regularly tweets out stuff like this?

It's just a bad road to go down man, things work better if people are left to make up their own minds. Everyone has political bias, I don't like the idea that everything should be policed and to put pure blind faith into so called "fact checks". At what point does opinion bleed over?

You're saying that like opinions shouldn't be based on facts, and instead should just be blind ignorance.

Either way, people can decide whether to check out the facts or not, and even then can still choose to ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Yeah I think you don't understand the world 'fact' very well. Like Paris is the capital of France or Brazil won the world Cup in 1970.

Political persuasion shouldn't come into it at all.

Trump is now into an area where he's making up murders. I'm not sure what you believe but I think anyone doing such a thing should be pulled up on it. And politics doesn't come into it. Accuracy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Blueshoe wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Nc7xhIUIL3o

One of the best press conference moments so far. Obviously not as popular as the Trump bad usual story

Eh. As usual, her defense was a bunch of easily-refuted hot air.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/06/mcenanys-slippery-defense-saying-coronavirus-will-not-come-here/

some quotes from the article:
    “I guess I would turn the question back on the media and ask similar questions: Does Vox want to take back that they proclaimed that the coronavirus would not be a deadly pandemic?”

Except Vox already did. Though a Jan. 31 tweet stated that it would not be a deadly pandemic, the website deleted the tweet on March 24 because it acknowledged it was wrong.

“Does The Washington Post want to take back that they told Americans to get a grip, the flu is bigger than the coronavirus?”

Except this story was from the next day, Feb. 1, and the flu was indeed a much bigger problem in the United States at that point. McEnany also omitted two very important words from the end of the headline: “for now.”

“Does The Washington Post likewise want to take back that our brains are causing us to exaggerate the threat of the coronavirus?”

This perspective piece from a retired Harvard University instructor was from the same time — Jan. 31 — and it was about how our brains do indeed make certain things seem scarier than they are. It did not say the coronavirus was not a threat, though. “The two coronavirus contagions are upon us, both the disease and our fear,” wrote David Ropeik. “The disease is new. The fear, however, is not. Both need to be understood, because both are dangerous.”
    --

So, Kayley's organized, had her binder ready for her rejoinders and read from it. Too bad she or her assistants aren't bright enough to follow through though.

Oh, all the articles she mentions, were published before she gave her little 'trump won't allow it' nonsense news on Faux News. She failed to mention that in the presser.

Thanks for playing, though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Igotadose wrote: »
    Eh. As usual, her defense was a bunch of easily-refuted hot air.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/06/mcenanys-slippery-defense-saying-coronavirus-will-not-come-here/

some quotes from the article:
    “I guess I would turn the question back on the media and ask similar questions: Does Vox want to take back that they proclaimed that the coronavirus would not be a deadly pandemic?”

Except Vox already did. Though a Jan. 31 tweet stated that it would not be a deadly pandemic, the website deleted the tweet on March 24 because it acknowledged it was wrong.

“Does The Washington Post want to take back that they told Americans to get a grip, the flu is bigger than the coronavirus?”

Except this story was from the next day, Feb. 1, and the flu was indeed a much bigger problem in the United States at that point. McEnany also omitted two very important words from the end of the headline: “for now.”

“Does The Washington Post likewise want to take back that our brains are causing us to exaggerate the threat of the coronavirus?”

This perspective piece from a retired Harvard University instructor was from the same time — Jan. 31 — and it was about how our brains do indeed make certain things seem scarier than they are. It did not say the coronavirus was not a threat, though. “The two coronavirus contagions are upon us, both the disease and our fear,” wrote David Ropeik. “The disease is new. The fear, however, is not. Both need to be understood, because both are dangerous.”
    --

So, Kayley's organized, had her binder ready for her rejoinders and read from it. Too bad she or her assistants aren't bright enough to follow through though.

Oh, all the articles she mentions, were published before she gave her little 'trump won't allow it' nonsense news on Faux News. She failed to mention that in the presser.

Thanks for playing, though.

The heel of the hunt: everyone else is allowed to make statements then retract or change them.

Trump must be 100% able to predict the future, never change his mind or opinion .

Seems fair. Your game is rigged

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The heel of the hunt: everyone else is allowed to make statements then retract or change them.

Trump must be 100% able to predict the future, never change his mind or opinion .

He never changes his mind and constantly spouts rubbish. Most of the rest of us engage our brains before utterances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean when it has an obvious lie. The above seems to be opinion based which twitter has let Trump go nuts with for years so presumably I expect them to react the same and do nothing.

Plus you are entirely misrepresenting what they did. They linked a story. It isn't blind faith. They linked a story. People can still make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Oh, so has he retracted anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

No he doesn't. He just has to admit he is wrong when he gets it wrong. He doesn't, he just claims he said something different a few months back and that he was never wrong. We are merely holding him to his standard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump was asked the other day if , with hindsight he'd do anything different in regards to how they handled the Pandemic thus far. His response was "No , everything was perfect , I'd change nothing".

100,000 and counting are dead and he'd do absolutely NOTHING differently?? Nothing at all??!

He is incapable of admitting a mistake or even recognizing opportunities for improvement in anything he says or does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After all her talk against voting by mail, it turns out Kayleigh has been doing the same as Trump (and his family) and consistently voted that way for years.

Going down the same lines as the UK, 'one rule for thee, another for me'.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1265681785905610752?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Trump was asked the other day if , with hindsight he'd do anything different in regards to how they handled the Pandemic thus far. His response was "No , everything was perfect , I'd change nothing".

100,000 and counting are dead and he'd do absolutely NOTHING differently?? Nothing at all??!

He is incapable of admitting a mistake or even recognizing opportunities for improvement in anything he says or does.

Our deaths per million is worse.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And??

Do you hear any of our leaders saying that the Irish response was "Perfect and they'd change nothing"??

This isn't a discussion about who did a better job on the Pandemic , it's about his complete inability to see or address mistakes.

No one , EVER does everything perfectly , that simply doesn't exist - There will always be opportunity to improve something somewhere, however small that change might be.

He is a narcissist and is psychologically incapable of seeing anything wrong with what he does. It's why so many of his business crash and burn so spectacularly , he isn't capable of "cutting his losses" as it were as to do so would be to admit a mistake , so he drags the arse out of it until someone else has to shut him down.

A lack of reflective analysis is incredibly dangerous in a leader.

True but where would you rather be during the pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd argue that's a lie.

We cant trust the figures coming out of the US such is the level of pressure on individual states for pretty much anything.

If you think you can trust those figures then.... Well I can't help you

I suppose when you actually report deaths it is.
    Also, what this got to do with Trump?

Why do you keep trying to distract?

True but where would you rather be during the pandemic?

What’s the actual comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What’s the actual comparison?

It’s close enough They are early 300s we’re mid 300s per million but we’ve slowed deaths right down I’d say they’ll be higher by the end our farcical handling of old people in care really made a mess of our numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He's really stirring up this Twitter stuff. The Trump supporters must really hate Twitter? If he's kind of making it a thing to focus on. I wonder will he get the POTUS account moved over to gab :)

Hilarious. The innovation which contributed to Trump being elected, they hate. And Trump hates it so much he continues to spew out crap on it daily while threatening to close it down.....while posting on it. 1984 has become reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

fr336 wrote: »
    Hilarious. The innovation which contributed to Trump being elected, they hate. And Trump hates it so much he continues to spew out crap on it daily while threatening to close it down.....while posting on it. 1984 has become reality.

He doesn't really hate it, he is just constantly searching for ways to shout that he is the true victim.

I'll never understand how his supporters can build him up to be a strong fighter when all he does is whine. He is no better than a woman screaming for a manager in a shop due to her missing the return date clearly printed on the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

One of the best press conference moments so far. Obviously not as popular as the Trump bad usual story

385,049 views - pretty popular I'd say. I watched that press conference I'm pretty sure.

I've watched her press conferences and even commented positively on how she delivers them here weeks ago:
    Kayleigh McEnany is damn good at delivering a briefing. Just caught up with todays one.

I need to know her notes organising secret, everything they ask she moves to a place in her notes and has some nice dig, in relation to what they asked, aimed at a democrat or Washington post or something.

Why don't you like criticism of Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah yes, the good old ‘look over there’ defence. So the idiot president made a complete shambles of the Covid response but that’s grand because the newspaper said stuff. Infantile nonsense.

Midlife wrote: »
    Oh, so has he retracted anything?

HE WAS BEING SARCASTIC.

Wait...maybe the newspapers were being sarcastic to see if trump would realise.

We count them all ;)

But you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He's really stirring up this Twitter stuff. The Trump supporters must really hate Twitter? If he's kind of making it a thing to focus on. I wonder will he get the POTUS account moved over to gab :)

I hope he does this "big action" soon.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265649545410744321

This is a good one considering his Secretory of State tweeted this just an hour before:
    https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1265634986197221377

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Best moment? She couldn't even answer the question except to do the usual whataboutism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

This thread is about the Trump Presidency. ..not about Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Foxtrol wrote: »
    After all her talk against voting by mail, it turns out Kayleigh has been doing the same as Trump (and his family) and consistently voted that way for years.

Going down the same lines as the UK, 'one rule for thee, another for me'.

https://twitter.com/IsaacDovere/status/1265681785905610752?s=20

Fact-checking is such a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Quin_Dub wrote: »

It's all about the 100,000. The US will hit that milestone today. Trump is distracting, same play all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement