Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Water John wrote: »
    It's all about the 100,000. The US will hit that milestone today. Trump is distracting, same play all the time.

Pretty sure they cleared 100k yesterday?

These guys have them currently just short of 102

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Executive order incoming pertaining to social media.

****ing LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1265776258538860544

At least he is keeping it real. Not sure this is enough of a distraction and how well this "executive order" will actually work. Social media companies have a lot of clever lawyers working for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Pretty sure they cleared 100k yesterday?

These guys have them currently just short of 102

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The US has 28% of covid world deaths, and 30% of the world's cases.
    And trump is pissing around with twitter because they've just checked him when he wasn't being truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Cody montana

fullstop wrote: »
    Executive order incoming pertaining to social media.

****ing LOL.

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Call me Al wrote: »
    The US has 28% of covid world deaths, and 30% of the world's cases.
    And trump is pissing around with twitter because they've just checked him when he wasn't being truthful.

This is the key part of the current conversation that Trump is trying to deflect from!

Over 100,000 dead people, and he's whinging about ****ing Twitter!

Don't let him and his cult members distract from that. Here's two key numbers:

Over 100,000 dead... Over 17,000 lies....End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/eliza_relman/status/1265780068586045447?s=19

Job interview: "Can you tell us why you'd be a perfect fit for this administration?"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WH says Trump plans to sign an executive order tomorrow “pertaining to social media”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/white-house-says-trump-plans-to-sign-executive-order-pertaining-to-social-media/

I’m not sure what he could do. Nothing comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even though his usual deflection tactics hurt him at times, in this situation they are incredibly bad for him.

'America breaks 100,000 deaths for a virus the president said would go away months ago, meanwhile the president is getting in a fight with twitter due to his posting of a continuous stream of conspiracy theories'.

It is fine distracting from something many find boring, like the Russia probe, but Americans are dying here at an enormous rate and the media isn't going to stop covering it.

And while Trump moans and whinges about how unfair Twitter is to him, on the day the number of deaths passes 100,000, Biden tweets this:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1265757168504049664?s=20

In case you can't get tweets in your device, here's the main part of his address:

"There are moments in our history so grim, so heart-rending, that they’re forever fixed in each of our hearts as shared grief. Today is one of those moments. 100,000 lives have now been lost to this virus here in the United States alone. Each one leaving behind a family that will never again be whole.

I think I know what you’re feeling. You feel like you’re being sucked into a black hole in the middle of your chest. It’s suffocating. Your heart is broken. There’s nothing but a feeling of emptiness right now. For most of you, you weren’t able to be there when you lost your beloved family member or best friend. For most of you, you weren’t able to be there when they died alone. With the pain, the anger, and the frustration, you’ll wonder whether or not you’ll be able to get anywhere from here.

It’s made all the worse by knowing that this is a fateful milestone that we should have never reached that could have been avoided. According to a study done by Columbia University, if the administration had acted just one week earlier to implement social distancing, and do what it had to do, just one week sooner as many as 36,000 of these deaths might have been averted.

To all of you who are hurting so badly, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know there is nothing I or anyone else can say or do to dull the sharpness of the pain that you feel right now, but I can promise you from experience, the day will come when the memory of your loved one will bring a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eyes.

My prayer for all of you is that day will come sooner rather than later, but I promise you it will come, and when it does, you know you can make it. God bless each and every one of you, and the blessed memory of the one you lost.

The nation grieves with you. Take some solace from the fact we all grieve with you. "

What a contrast!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yoel Roth who is one of the head honchos involved with Twitters fact checking program has previously tweeted that "There are actual Nazis in the white house now" and called trump a "racist tangerine"

More biased interference. I would say Roth's goose is cooked

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yoel Roth who is one of the head honchos involved with Twitters fact checking program has previously tweeted that "There are actual Nazis in the white house now" and called trump a "racist tangerine"

Over 100,000 dead... Over 17,000 lies... And you reckon Roth's goose is cooked, because he spoke the truth in each of the tweets you quote???

Over 100,000 dead... Over 17,000 lies... And you reckon Roth's goose is cooked, because he spoke the truth in each of the tweets you quote???

EDIT: I see Forbes is reporting that it's over 18,000 lies now... and the daily average is actually rising.... so hard to keep up...

Trump is racist, and exceptionally orange For a human. That’s true.

When he wrote that there were actual nazis in the White House. Steve Bannon.

Trump trolls have tried to go after Roth for this? No wonder Twitter is standing behind their guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's not biased when it's true.

Overheal wrote: »
    Trump is racist, and exceptionally orange For a human. That’s true.

When he wrote that there were actual nazis in the White House. Steve Bannon.

Trump trolls have tried to go after Roth for this? No wonder Twitter is standing behind their guy.

I doubt that, when the concept of Nazis in the White House was being considersd, the soft and cuddly Stephen Miller was far from anyone's mind...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I doubt that, when the concept of Nazis in the White House was being considersd, the soft and cuddly Stephen Miller was far from anyone's mind...

My initial draft mentioned him but I think Bannon shines on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you know I'd almost almost forgive Trump everything if he killed Twitter.

It's such a cesspit of a communication tool and is ruining the way major events and happenings get reported. I hate reading a news article interspersed with pointless tweets or trying to read a tweet stream from a journalist whose only concern seemingly is to get news out fast rather than in a well written, detailed and useful piece. Brexit news is the same, from the outside it at times looks like negotiation by twitter the way we see things.

Dumbing down news to fit into a 140 (or whatever it is now) character blip has done a disservice to humanity as a whole.

you know I'd almost almost forgive Trump everything if he killed Twitter.

It's such a cesspit of a communication tool and is ruining the way major events and happenings get reported. I hate reading a news article interspersed with pointless tweets or trying to read a tweet stream from a journalist whose only concern seemingly is to get news out fast rather than in a well written, detailed and useful piece. Brexit news is the same, from the outside it at times looks like negotiation by twitter the way we see things.

Dumbing down news to fit into a 140 (or whatever it is now) character blip has done a disservice to humanity as a whole.

So, you have a big issue with Twitter. . Fair enough.. why not start a thread on why Twitter is so bad outside of here? Like, your views on Twitter are valid but are actually irrelevant here and posting this stuff here deflects from consideration of the real poison to US Democracy that is Trump.

And I'm sure you wouldn't support that.

Overheal wrote: »
    My initial draft mentioned him but I think Bannon shines on his own

Personally, I would hold a barbecue and drink beers /eat steaks with 10 Steve Bannons, because, while I would find most of his policies execrable, I wouldn't feel that I was up against the essential hatred and innate evil that seems to characterise Miller.

With Miller, I wouldn't invite him to.be the firelighter at the same barbecue. . But, if he offered? ?? Mmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

And while Trump moans and whinges about how unfair Twitter is to him, on the day the number of deaths passes 100,000, Biden tweets this:

In case you can't get tweets in your device, here's the main part of his address:

"There are moments in our history so grim, so heart-rending, that they’re forever fixed in each of our hearts as shared grief. Today is one of those moments. 100,000 lives have now been lost to this virus here in the United States alone. Each one leaving behind a family that will never again be whole.

I think I know what you’re feeling. You feel like you’re being sucked into a black hole in the middle of your chest. It’s suffocating. Your heart is broken. There’s nothing but a feeling of emptiness right now. For most of you, you weren’t able to be there when you lost your beloved family member or best friend. For most of you, you weren’t able to be there when they died alone. With the pain, the anger, and the frustration, you’ll wonder whether or not you’ll be able to get anywhere from here.

It’s made all the worse by knowing that this is a fateful milestone that we should have never reached that could have been avoided. According to a study done by Columbia University, if the administration had acted just one week earlier to implement social distancing, and do what it had to do, just one week sooner as many as 36,000 of these deaths might have been averted.

To all of you who are hurting so badly, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know there is nothing I or anyone else can say or do to dull the sharpness of the pain that you feel right now, but I can promise you from experience, the day will come when the memory of your loved one will bring a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eyes.

My prayer for all of you is that day will come sooner rather than later, but I promise you it will come, and when it does, you know you can make it. God bless each and every one of you, and the blessed memory of the one you lost.

The nation grieves with you. Take some solace from the fact we all grieve with you. "

What a contrast!!!

Yes one is a PR exercise written to make an old guy with dementia look good and the other is a fight for free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So, you have a big issue with Twitter. . Fair enough.. why not start a thread on why Twitter is so bad outside of here? Like, your views on Twitter are valid but are actually irrelevant here and posting this stuff here deflects from consideration of the real poison to US Democracy that is Trump.

And I'm sure you wouldn't support that.

Trump and Twitter very much go hand in hand. It's one of, if not, the main way he chooses to communicate with the world. I think it's pretty relevant to the the thread.
    He chooses twitter because it suits his style, shouty short bursts without any filter, where he can spew whatever he likes without any formal comeback. As much of a joke as the press conferences have become at least they give a live back and forth reaction platform for a delivered speech to be questioned and this as a whole adds to accountability and better information for the public.
    Twitter bypasses all of this entirely to the detriment of the US people in holding Trump (or any other spokesperson for that matter) to account on what they are saying in a timely and face to face manner.

I'll concede it was a bit ranty against twitter but I really do believe this style of communication from politicians (and major business leaders) is not a good platform for accountability of the government(s) / business.

If a bit of a spat like this is what it might take for this to change and for the actual press to comeback somewhat to the fore of political announcements I'm all for it and believe it'll make for a better level of discourse than what we tend to see in the last couple of years via the twitterati.

You may argue twitter and the like have been a positive for engagement amongst the public to what politicians are saying and I can see the point. but if you are trying to distill important message down to such a tight space to delver them is it really useful on the whole to simply messages and discussion so much to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

What a contrast!!!

Exactly how a real leader should behave ..whatever you think of his policies there as we all know a certain way a leader should behave that befits the office..Trump has completely demeaned the position of POTUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Can of worms will be opened with that twitter situation, they should have left it alone.

Don't like Trump then vote him out in November, selectively policing speech or statements on social media platforms will have much broader implications in the long run.

You can see the confirmation bias already in some of the replies here defending the guy who implemented it and his tweets. His twitter is full of hostility towards Republicans, it's not exactly a good look for a supposed neutral platform.

I was reading earlier there's some statute that protects social media companies from being sued for censorship or libel and that Republicans are planning to repeal it. Like feck sake, how many false statements were made about Russia from Blue check marks on twitter, probably millions. You cannot enforce something like that equally across the board.

peddlelies wrote: »
    Can of worms will be opened with that twitter situation, they should have left it alone.

Don't like Trump then vote him out in November, selectively policing speech or statements on social media platforms will have much broader implications in the long run.

You can see the confirmation bias already in some of the replies here defending the guy who implemented it and his tweets. His twitter is full of hostility towards Republicans, it's not exactly a good look for a supposed neutral platform.

I was reading earlier there's some statute that protects social media companies from being sued for censorship or libel and that Republicans are planning to repeal it. Like feck sake, how many false statements were made about Russia from Blue check marks on twitter, probably millions. You cannot enforce something like that equally across the board.

I was reading on Worldmeter there: 102,107 deaths..

Sry...I kinda got distracted... You were saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Yes one is a PR exercise written to make an old guy with dementia look good and the other is a fight for free speech.

If it's free speech he is worried about, then why is he trying to shut down Twitters right to comment on his tweets?

Also, do you have proof that he has dementia, I mean like medical reports and the like. Since, as we all know, it is not right that medical professionals should comment on a persons mental health without personally examining them, so I assume you have examined him yourself or tht you have access to his medical records?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Since we're all love to hump the constitution and deplore anything beyond exact wording being taken as judicial activism please highlight what part of the below quote from the constitution you think twitter falls foul on in terms of freedom of speech.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Field east

True but where would you rather be during the pandemic?

We cannot compare one country’s figures against another because of the way the figs are compiled. The U.K. , for example were not including deaths in nursing homes in their earlier figs. Until we know how each country compiles their figs we cannot compare them. If POTUS has any influence on keeping the figs in the US down below the true value, I think that he will do so - at least delay their announcement until after the election.
    There is little or no analysis on the no or % of deaths in nursing/care homes. For example, what is the normal death rate in such homes.? Also, when a health threat as Covis comes, what would be the expected level of death in such homes compared to that amongst the general public.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Field east wrote: »
    We cannot compare one country’s figures against another because of the way the figs are compiled. The U.K. , for example were not including deaths in nursing homes in their earlier figs. Until we know how each country compiles their figs we cannot compare them. If POTUS has any influence on keeping the figs in the US down below the true value, I think that he will do so - at least delay their announcement until after the election.
    There is little or no analysis on the no or % of deaths in nursing/care homes. For example, what is the normal death rate in such homes.? Also, when a health threat as Covis comes, what would be the expected level of death in such homes compared to that amongst the general public.?

That is all very true, but (taking Ireland as an example) in one case you have a government that has a message, is clear in its objectives and the public understand (there are many issues with Ireland but this thread is not the place).

In the US you have the leader speaking out of both sides of him mouth. Its a terrible disease and only for him it won't have been much worse and that it is nothing to worry about and lets get everything open and your freedoms are being taken away from democrats to hate Trump!

In Ireland, largely, we have a population doing their best to work together to help everyone. In the US you have many people, even politicians, actively working to make things worse (they don't think there is a problem).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Field east wrote: »

We can compare.

We have Irish apples with all their faults and marks and bruises and we can compare them to the American orange clusterfúck with all their omissions and lies and inevitable second wave.

It's pretty easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement