Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't you a vegan!?

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

Processed pork significantly increases your risk of cancer so consuming protein from pork will give you complete protein but at a cost. Also, it is high in salt as well which will also cause significant health issues with your heart. Eating red meat for your protein will cause your heart a lot of stress too.

Did you even read what you wrote here?

Processed pork bad so pork is bad?
    Pork contains too much salt?

I'm not sure how "significantly" eating Bacon increases your chances of cancer but it's fairly well known we should limit our intake of it but not all pork is bacon.

Eating too much red meat may be linked to heart issues in some people but that doesn't mean it should or has to be avoided, in the right portions red meat is a healthy food. Too much of anything is bad.

A recent study linked higher rates of strokes amongst vegans although it hardly accounts for every possible vegan diet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gozunda wrote: »
    Right away boss!

Sigh but kinda getting off topic no? You need to read through the thread to see what's under discussion. And yes I already did back that up btw.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/animal-vs-plant-protein#section2

And no I'm not using that wrong either. The term includes that fact and is detailed in the link. If you dont like how its worded - dont shoot the messenger.

I wouldn't just go trusting websites wholly, the above is wrong. So I'll shoot them, not the messenger ;) But I'd be careful trusting things like that as now it's your opinion and this is how misinformation gets spread. Guess you can say that of everything and everybody!

I'd be waiting until the end of time for an example of a bean or nut that is missing one of the essential amino acids, because they have them all.

I actually can't think of a single wholefood that contains protein that is missing any essential amino acid, I don't even know if there is one.

But anyway, yes, I guess that isn't the topic! I just get irked about nutrition information being wrong as I've studied it for so many years, and I was rather pissed off yesterday. :D
    My apologies for the wording of my post before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Saw a fairly good article on that stuff a while back. As a processed food though it seems to come with the following advisory...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/seitan

But it's so tasty!

emaherx wrote: »
    Did you even read what you wrote here?

Processed pork bad so pork is bad?
    Pork contains too much salt?

I'm not sure how "significantly" eating Bacon increases your chances of cancer but it's fairly well known we should limit our intake of it but not all pork is bacon.

Eating too much red meat may be linked to heart issues in some people but that doesn't mean it should or has to be avoided, in the right portions red meat is a healthy food. Too much of anything is bad.

A recent study linked higher rates of strokes amongst vegans although it hardly accounts for every possible vegan diet.

"eating too much of anything is bad"; I don't think eating too much spinach, lentils, beans, carrots, potatoes is a bad thing unless you prepared them in a manner which made them unhealthy.

The fact it's recommended to limit the consumption of bacon, sausages etc. Is an indication of the health problems they cause. It is even more alarming at how little sausages and rashers, by way of examples, we are recommended to consume.

https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/recommendations/limit-red-processed-meat

Recommends a total of 350g - 500g cooked weight of red meat per week and consuming very little, if any, more processed meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Xcellor wrote: »
    The study is mentioned in the image but no matter.

Some analysis on here
    https://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegan-protein-status/

So vegans are not protein deficient.

For a bit of context

This study was conducted by University of Hong Kong a place with among the highest levels of lactose intolerance (Asia in general) in the world so higher calcium intake (presumably milk based products) will have a major effect on inflammation so straight off the bat there are glare shortfalls and bias within this study without even examining sample sizes or other variables in diets.

Many of these studies will favour vegans simply because vegan fast food is a niche market still so is absent in diets so unless this is controlled it will always skew studies

• Advertisement

I actually can't think of a single wholefood that contains protein that is missing any essential amino acid, I don't even know if there is one.

The problem is not the profile of the amino acids but the effect of anti nutrients on the absorption of said nutrients in particular protease inhibitors which are a concern within legumes

Where do you buy it? I must try it

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422

You will need this; https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/engevita-yeast-flakes-b12-60009142?skuid=009142

Then different seasonings depending on recipes.

Here is a good recipe to start; https://www.sixvegansisters.com/2018/08/24/seitan-fried-chicken/

For great resources, check out the Vegan Seitan Appreciation Society on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But it's so tasty!

Surely you mean 'bland' no? :p

https://www.verywellfit.com/what-is-seitan-4684069

"eating too much of anything is bad"; I don't think eating too much spinach, lentils, beans, carrots, potatoes is a bad thing unless you prepared them in a manner which made them unhealthy.

The fact it's recommended to limit the consumption of bacon, sausages etc. Is an indication of the health problems they cause. It is even more alarming at how little sausages and rashers, by way of examples, we are recommended to consume.

https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/recommendations/limit-red-processed-meat

Recommends a total of 350g - 500g cooked weight of red meat per week and consuming very little, if any, more processed meat.

Of course you can have too much of anything even water.
    Should I give up red meat?
    Red meat is a good source of protein, iron and other micronutrients. For those who consume it, lean rather than fatty cuts are preferred. Poultry and fish are valuable substitutes for red meat. Eggs and dairy are also valuable sources of protein and micronutrients.

This Recommendation is not to completely avoid eating meat. Meat can be a valuable source of nutrients, in particular protein, iron, zinc and vitamin B12. However, eating meat is not an essential part of a healthy diet. People who choose to eat meat-free diets can obtain adequate amounts of these nutrients through careful food selection.

Your own link says the recommendation is not to completely avoid meat which is in line with what I said.

500G is a fair whack of meat, don't know many who would eat much more.

But the bit I was really questioning was saying processed pork is bad so you should avoid pork as it's high in salt. My point was processed pork that's high in salt is bacon, why rule out pork because bacon and sausages are bad for you? It's like saying avoid spuds because chips are bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Probably tastes like most meat then. Chicken is bland and most pork is salted. Even steak needs salt and pepper

• Advertisement

Probably tastes like most meat then. Chicken is bland and most pork is salted. Even steak needs salt and pepper

Ah I see you never have had good extensively reared free range bacon or a fine roast of beef or roast chicken lol. All absolutely delicious wholefoods and very very tasty. Salt and pepper solely optional...

Seitan - Highly processed ****e made from refined white flour. But hey there we go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I nearly chocked on my vegan wrap ( in flight snack so no choice) when it said it was lacto- ovo tolerant.

Such stupidity. Be vegan and be happy I'm not eating your puppy which was dragged away from its mother to give you a pet :)

Ah I see you never have had good extensively reared free range bacon or a fine roast of beef or roast chicken lol. All absolutely delicious wholefoods and very very tasty. Salt and pepper solely optional...

Seitan - Highly processed ****e made from refined white flour. But hey there we go :D

Meat tastes bland. That's why we cook and season it.

Seitan isn't a new food, it's been around for ~ 1000 years. It's only starting to get popular in the west but eastern cultures have eaten it for generations. I've never eaten it but as with all things as part of a balanced vegan diet I will have to try it.

Sure it won't taste like a bloody red steak but my taste pleasures aren't more important than the life of an animal so if an alternative exists (which there are countless now) I'll give it a bash.

I nearly chocked on my vegan wrap ( in flight snack so no choice) when it said it was lacto- ovo tolerant.

Such stupidity. Be vegan and be happy I'm not eating your puppy which was dragged away from its mother to give you a pet :)

Allergies and dietary choice aren't the same. I can understand why airlines seek to make food with the least amounts of allergens because it makes it cheaper/safer all round. Just because this ticks the box for about 2 people on the flight who are "vegan" isn't the main concern.

Take a rescue dog/puppy. I'm certainly going that direction if I get another dog.

In most cases though the puppy is weaned or else it will die so its a bit differnt from calves that get maybe 24 hours is they are lucky with their mother before being carted off so humans can enjoy creamy tit goop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Seitan isn't a new food, it's been around for ~ 1000 years. It's only starting to get popular in the west but eastern cultures have eaten it for generations. I've never eaten it but as with all things as part of a balanced vegan diet I will have to try it.

Sure it won't taste like a bloody red steak but my taste pleasures aren't more important than the life of an animal so if an alternative exists (which there are countless now) I'll give it a bash.

Actually, one reason I was overeating when I went vegetarian is it is very difficult to get that pop of flavour and texture that meat gives you.

Now show one with the mouse and insect carcasses decomposing around your sweet potato as we douse with pesticides and animal waste matter.

Amazing how you can frame food any which way you want.

Seitan isn't a new food, it's been around for ~ 1000 years. It's only starting to get popular in the west but eastern cultures have eaten it for generations. I've never eaten it but as with all things as part of a balanced vegan diet I will have to try it. Sure it won't taste like a bloody red steak but my taste pleasures aren't more important than the life of an animal so if an alternative exists (which there are countless now) I'll give it a bash.

Logic doesnt follow - I think you forgot we cook and season vegetables also! Cooking simply makes all food easier to digest and even tastier

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230980-600-what-was-the-first-cooked-meal/

I'm not surprised some are vegan if the old taste buds dont function lol! . But seriously not just me saying that many types meat are extremly tasty. The old adage that the smell and taste is probably responsible for many peoples love of bacon may indeed be true :pac: That said - it remains meat is a healthy part of a balanced diet. Regardless of how old 'seitan' is - it is a highly processed product make from white flour. Not something I personally would advocate tbh.

Btw as to the preaching bit - no problem with anyones personal choices but the truth is that all forms of food involve the death other animals and no I'm not just talking insects either. Cultivation and harvesting are known causes of the death of billons of animals and organisms every year. We eat to live and we should always provide the best welfare for farm animals. Thats simply how it is. If there are exceptions to that then we need to fix that- not use it as a stick to best everyone or push a lifestyle choice. But hey there we go eh.

KSU wrote: »
    Now show one with the mouse and insect carcasses decomposing around your sweet potato as we douse with pesticides and animal waste matter.

Amazing how you can frame food any which way you want.

True. I presume that American in the video was never breast fed and didnt benefit from "creamy tit goop" You have to laugh at the pure ****e some of these eejits on YouTube come out with :D

And before we have some other American or otherwise telling us how that is so - milk is very much a recommended part of a healthy balanced diet. And that's not me or a dairy interest - this from the NHS ...

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/milk-and-dairy-nutrition/
    Milk and dairy products, such as cheese and yoghurt, are great sources of protein and calcium. They can form part of a healthy, balanced diet.

Heres another of Roger Hortons videos : D

'vaginal blood absorbancy sticks' ...

:D

What?

Advertisement