Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

you only have to look at how tv portray men in tv shows.

The simpsons, malcomn in the middle and other shows portray the woman as the sensible one, and the man the lovable idiot.
    god forbid they show a man that is not only equally as smart , let alone a man who might be smarter.

The only men who are not treated like simpletons are the gay and black ones, out of fear someone might complain about homophobia or racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Marcos

What's a rape culture?

TLDR: RAINN (the US Rape Abuse and Incest National Network) doesn't believe it is a term that has any value.

IMO It's just a stick used by campus feminists and their fellow travellers to beat men with, and to get them to falsely believe that they are at fault for something they don't do or condone. I think the popular term used is gaslighting.

For more info see posts #227 and #785. I've quoted #785 below.

Even RAINN (the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network in the United States) has repudiated the existence of "rape culture," writing to a White House task force on campus sexual violence that:
    In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important not to lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

The notion of "rape culture" was invented by fringe campus feminists in the US so that they could implicate all men in the crimes of a few.
    Even though American feminists have successfully exported their well-funded ideology all over the world by this stage, that still doesn't give it any objective basis in actual reality.

Quote:
    RAINN is especially critical of the idea that we need to focus on teaching men not to rape — the hallmark of rape-culture activism. Since rape exists because our culture condones and normalizes it, activists say, we can end the epidemic of sexual violence only by teaching boys not to rape.

No one would deny that we should teach boys to respect women. But by and large, this is already happening. By the time men reach college, RAINN explains, “most students have been exposed to 18 years of prevention messages, in one form or another.” The vast majority of men absorb these messages and view rape as the horrific crime that it is. So efforts to address rape need to focus on the very small portion of the population that “has proven itself immune to years of prevention messages.” They should not vilify the average guy.

By blaming so-called rape culture, we implicate all men in a social atrocity, trivialize the experiences of survivors, and deflect blame from the rapists truly responsible for sexual violence. RAINN explains that the trend of focusing on rape culture “has the paradoxical effect of making it harder to stop sexual violence, since it removes the focus from the individual at fault, and seemingly mitigates personal responsibility for his or her own actions.”
    That should be the end of the argument there IMO. Unless there are further agendas at play here and this is just being used as a stick to beat men with.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

you only have to look at how tv portray men in tv shows.

The simpsons, malcomn in the middle and other shows portray the woman as the sensible one, and the man the lovable idiot.
    god forbid they show a man that is not only equally as smart , let alone a man who might be smarter.

The only men who are not treated like simpletons are the gay and black ones, out of fear someone might complain about homophobia or racism.

You’re missing a lot if you only see men on tv as simpletons. I see loads of complex Male characters on tv. Similar to Reviews.... is there any chance that you have some kind of hangup that means you only see male characters as simpletons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Marcos wrote: »
    TLDR: RAINN (the US Rape Abuse and Incest National Network) doesn't believe it is a term that has any value.

IMO It's just a stick used by campus feminists and their fellow travellers to beat men with, and to get them to falsely believe that they are at fault for something they don't do or condone. I think the popular term used is gaslighting.

For more info see posts #227 and #785. I've quoted #785 below.

Even RAINN (the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network in the United States) has repudiated the existence of "rape culture," writing to a White House task force on campus sexual violence that:

Also, if you want people to take rape extra seriously, you shouldn't go around making up things about it, e.g. every man has a rapist inside him.

People aren't stupid, so they just stop listening when they hear **** like that. Only the extremists and immature fall for it.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    People aren't stupid, so they just stop listening when they hear **** like that. Only the extremists and immature fall for it.

Oddly enough I can remember when people said the same thing about sexual harassment in the 'professional' workplace 15-20 years ago. We had a load of new laws to make the workplace safer (which it was), and the feminist supporters continued seeking changes. Now we have workplaces where men are afraid of being near a woman for fear that a comment will be misunderstood, or someone from HR will decide their private conversation with another male is somehow degrading to women. And the changes keep coming...

The same can be said about the area of sexual assault and abuse. Sure, common sense will prevail and people will know that not all men are rapists or assault women. It's only a tiny minority involved in such activities and surely, nobody will believe the need for more draconian measures...... Now, we have a society and media that emphases male aggression, constant talks about consent classes and other measures to alter male behavior. That's only a beginning because they'll realize that such measures won't work, and they'll seek increased preventative measures to protect females.

The thing is that individuals aren't stupid. "People" are stupid.... because most people just want to live their lives and aren't interested until such things directly affect them. That leaves the minority who are active within these causes to implement change practically unopposed.

The idea of rape culture is being used more often and, if left unopposed, will be accepted into mainstream society as a definite possibility, leading to more discourse that most people aren't involved in. It's the way western society has changed so much over the last twenty years. It's all madness, we should ignore it, and then we wake up with our lives being moderated by these ideas..

We already have it happening with victim shaming, virtue signalling, gender quotas and a host of other feminist induced nightmares that came out of US academia and have managed to insert themselves into international popular culture. In many cases, denial is seen as being anti-female, and shut down quickly. The mainstream media is a perfect example of this. It's no longer remaining among the radicals and internet users. It's quickly becoming a series of accepted notions that people dismiss until they're no longer allowed to dismiss it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

You’re missing a lot if you only see men on tv as simpletons. I see loads of complex Male characters on tv. Similar to Reviews.... is there any chance that you have some kind of hangup that means you only see male characters as simpletons?

Another common argument. If you disagree with me you are weak.

Yes.

Question: a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information.

The question I asked relating to your juvenile and inflammatory statement which I know you are aware of. The question you seem to be so incapable of answering.

I have no idea. I thought you were el dude's re-reg tbh?

I could pussyfoot around all evening. Your point is nonsense. There are loads of men on tv. Good, bad and, much more interesting, nuanced. Some of the regular posters will tell you’re you’re right and you’re definitely a massive victim because of your gender. But I’ll do you the favour of telling you the truth that you’re talking guff.

If you say can only see bad men on tv then you’re talking nonsense. If you can genuinely only see bad men on tv then you might have some odd views about men.

notice how he stated as if it were some sort of fact how I had hang ups, for daring to have a different opinion ?

The very notion that his opinion and that is all it is could be in any way wrong has him belittle other posters

notice how he stated as if it were some sort of fact how I had hang ups, for daring to have a different opinion ?

The very notion that his opinion and that is all it is could be in any way wrong has him belittle other posters

I dare you to say you honestly agree with the poster you’re defending right now. They said they only see evil men on tv. I disagreed (because it’s objectively untrue). I dare you to defend the point they made and I dare you to say you disagree with the fact I pointed out -there are loads of good, bad and nuanced Male characters on tv.

• Advertisement

I dare you to say you honestly agree with the poster you’re defending right now. They said they only see evil men on tv. I disagreed (because it’s objectively untrue). I dare you to defend the point they made and I dare you to say you disagree with the fact I pointed out -there are loads of good, bad and nuanced Male characters on tv.

You're overdramatising.

I have no idea what I said, but I am actually more talking about the phenomenon about female voices being given a platform (which is good) but it has led to female views that are misandrist/mysognist.

You're overdramatising.

I have no idea what I said, but I am actually more talking about the phenomenon about female voices being given a platform (which is good) but it has led to female views that are misandrist/mysognist.

Lol. I believe you don’t know what you said.

Here’s a recap:
    I said I see plenty of Male characters of different types on tv. You replied
    Oh yes, the evil white men. :rolleyes:

It was a pretty stupid thing to say whether you remember it or not.

Lol. I believe you don’t know what you said.

Here’s a recap:
    I said I see plenty of Male characters of different types on tv. You replied

It was a pretty stupid thing to say whether you remember it or not.

You should qoute yourself in fairness as you were talking about white men in particular.

Also, stupid? Hardly the most hughbriw insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Never heard the rapist defence that she went back to his flat so therefore was willing? Her skirt was short and she was drunk, so therefore consent was implied? Never?

In cases were the law says it was rape we've seen leniency based on attitude. The kind of underwear, the rapists background etc.
    The point is we treat rape differently to other crimes, that IMO, is what people are referring to when they say 'rape culture'.

Can you give any example of this leniency. It's often argued as a defence but I can't think of one case where it was used as a mitigant in sentencing where a person was found guilty of rape.

You should qoute yourself in fairness as you were talking about white men in particular.

Also, stupid? Hardly the most hughbriw insult.

Look. You made a nonsense comment pretending you only see white men as evil on tv. It must be a bit embarrassing to have said it mostly because it encapsulates your attitude towards men on tv. It has absolutely no bearing on the reality of white men on tv who are numerous and portray lots of characteristics.

You said you only see them as evil characters. Do you stand by that comment, as a matter of interest?

Look. You made a nonsense comment pretending you only see white men as evil on tv. It must be a bit embarrassing to have said it mostly because it encapsulates your attitude towards men on tv. It has absolutely no bearing on the reality of white men on tv who are numerous and portray lots of characteristics.

You said you only see them as evil characters. Do you stand by that comment, as a matter of interest?

'Embarrassing', another bullying term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It is fashionable to write husbands or dads as wimpy or buffoons if the focus is on the female character as has been happening in TV adverts for decades. There seems to be some kind of overcompensating inversion in the writing, like in order to have a so called strong empowered female character she has to be surrounded by incompetent males that need to be saved or just simply dominated. Im not even sure audiences want it?, seems to say more about physiological make up of writers these days?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    It is fashionable to write husbands or dads as wimpy or buffoons if the focus is on the female character as has been happening in TV adverts for decades. There seems to be some kind of overcompensating inversion in the writing, like in order to have a so called strong empowered female character she has to be surrounded by incompetent males that need to be saved or just simply dominated. Im not even sure audiences want it?, seems to say more about physiological make up of writers these days?

Imo, it's a form of gaslighting/insecurity. As in, women make better caregivers, so men should be shown as bad caregivers. You can kind of see it in writing where men are heavily criticised for writing female characters vs women writing male characters.

Ironically, I know a lot of people who say men make better stay at home fathers/teachers becuase they are calmer, more relaxed and less detail orientated.

'Embarrassing', another bullying term.

Yeah I imagine your comment is too embarrassing to stand over. Was it just something you said to disagree with me or did you actually think it was true? I suppose we’ll never know.

You really do seem to feel bullied. Bullied by me, bullied by tv shows only portraying men as evil. It’s all in your head, of course. If you’re trying to demonstrate a hyper-sensitive, persecution complex person, then you’re doing it pretty well.

If you’re serious about this stuff then you might need assistance.

I do cringe when I see the "diverse" profile on comedy panel shows ever since the BBC decided that they should never have an all male panel.

The edge has been taken off comedy on most television programmes and unless the jokes are at the expense of the "acceptable" target, everything has become sanitised and bland.

Thankfully, most people I meet in real life are against gender quotas, accept differences between men and women, are against toxic misandry, and most importantly do not believe Ireland has a rape culture.

There are of course the usual blue haired, self identifying pansexual, progressive types who shout about the patriarchy which the media seem to be bending over backwards to embrace.

Crazy times we live in.

• Advertisement

Yeah I imagine your comment is too embarrassing to stand over. Was it just something you said to disagree with me or did you actually think it was true? I suppose we’ll never know.

You really do seem to feel bullied. Bullied by me, bullied by tv shows only portraying men as evil. It’s all in your head, of course. If you’re trying to demonstrate a hyper-sensitive, persecution complex person, then you’re doing it pretty well.

If you’re serious about this stuff then you might need assistance.

Hmmmm, I think that's called 'projection'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Imo, it's a form of gaslighting/insecurity. As in, women make better caregivers, so men should be shown as bad caregivers. You can kind of see it in writing where men are heavily criticised for writing female characters vs women writing male characters.

Ironically, I know a lot of people who say men make better stay at home fathers/teachers becuase they are calmer, more relaxed and less detail orientated.

The odd thing is that a lot of these writers are men, well male anyway, it’s a shame that they are getting paid to foist their daddy issues on the rest of us :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Hmmmm, I think that's called 'projection'.

Ok. This has become a bit sad to watch you say things and defend them while admitting you don't even remember what you said. It has left an impression of how you discuss things - say any old thing whether or not it has any basis in reality and defend it while not even remembering it.

Its cringe to watch. So have the last word and leave it at that.

spin things however they like but this notion of Ireland having a rape culture is complete bullsh1t, spewed by a women who is obviously damaged and now sees all men as evil. Does she see her hudband or males kids, brothers etc as rapists too ?

I can understand why she might be bitter, hurt etc, maybe she needs help or seeks attention, but what sickens me is the simpletons who buy into that notion, and the media for promoting such rubbish.

to generalize that all men are somehow rapists is an attack on men, if some man said we had a whore culture amongst women, there would be uproar. for him labeling a whole gender, but the same pc do-gooders have no problem when all men are cast in a negative light.

Does she see her hudband or males kids, brothers etc as rapists too ?

See what you did right there?

You thought through the issue for 5 seconds and could immediately see it doesn't make sense.

The people who think we live in a rape culture don't have those skills, so can't come to the correct conclusion.

We need to solve this using our education system. Focus more on critical thinking skills, identifying ideologies, identifying when you're being lied to, etc.

The odd thing is that a lot of these writers are men, well male anyway, it’s a shame that they are getting paid to foist their daddy issues on the rest of us :pac:

It's simple economics. They discovered early that strong male characters didn't match what the studios wanted. They're simply seeking a pay check rather than any true belief in their characters. It's one of the reasons that so few modern TV shows with such plots or characters go beyond one season... unless they catch the attention of a particular type of female.

Writers don't determine what shows are put on TV for viewing.

Ok. This has become a bit sad to watch you say things and defend them while admitting you don't even remember what you said. It has left an impression of how you discuss things - say any old thing whether or not it has any basis in reality and defend it while not even remembering it.

Its cringe to watch. So have the last word and leave it at that.

'Sad' 'Cringe'

I'm a little bit suprised at how on the attack you are to be honest. Just take a step back and chillax or something.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    See what you did right there?

You thought through the issue for 5 seconds and could immediately see it doesn't make sense.

The people who think we live in a rape culture don't have those skills, so can't come to the correct conclusion.

We need to solve this using our education system. Focus more on critical thinking skills, identifying ideologies, identifying when you're being lied to, etc.

I honestly think they don't believe we actually live in a rape culture. It's just a way to regulate male behaviour imo.

I honestly think they don't believe we actually live in a rape culture. It's just a way to regulate male behaviour imo.

What do you think is their end goal?

Is there one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately many feminists today aren't pro-women, they are anti-men.

Advertisement