Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Ireland has a rape culture”

Options

Comments

How often in such cases would you have people arguing that the burglar just did what burglars do and shouldn't be charged with anything?

Literally never. Same as I have never heard anyone excusing a rapist in that manner either. :confused::confused::confused:

What a bizarre example that in no way validates your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The signs I see telling people not to put bags or feet on seats are not gendered as far as I can see. They tend to use the amorphous silhouettes. And I don't think I've ever seen a sign on public transport telling anyone not to spread their legs.

But to directly answer your question, no, obviously. I don't really know where you got the question from but the answer is no. I don't see any need for gender in the signs. Do you?

some cities have introduced them, not really a thing in ireland maybe we are less woke? Spain seem to be woke though

https://www.thejournal.ie/manspreading-spain-madrid-ban-3449994-Jun2017/
    Manspreading is now banned on buses in Madrid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just turn on the radio in the morning (Newstalk is a good place to start) and see how long it takes for them to have a go at men/male behaviour or the mythical gender pay gap etc etc
    There's your problem H, twirling that dial to Newstalk is something any rational human being should avoid like pubic lice. A station whose main demographic for many of its programmes seems to be bored menopausal office worker types who are pissed off that men don't notice them any more, if they ever did. With added cats. About its only value is if you like being wound up, or need to temporarily raise your blood pressure for medical reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

'entitled'.

It is not in anyway 'entitled' to have your legs be open in a comfortable position.

Public transport is not particularly comfortable if it's full. If you think Other people should just endure it if you want to spread your legs into the space in from tog their seat. Then yes, I'd call that and unreasonable sense of entitlement.

And if you've managed to tie your self esteem into that unreasonable entitlement, then I think you've been foolish.

It's actually pretty funny that were discussing it as reasonable to expect other people to be happy about you spreading your legs on busy public transport. And if someone isn't happy about it they're being unreasonable and damaging your sense of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Literally never. Same as I have never heard anyone excusing a rapist in that manner either. :confused::confused::confused:

What a bizarre example that in no way validates your argument.

Never heard the rapist defence that she went back to his flat so therefore was willing? Her skirt was short and she was drunk, so therefore consent was implied? Never?
    Audiovideo wrote: »
    I don't recall any instances of people arguing that a rapist should not be punished by the law.

In cases were the law says it was rape we've seen leniency based on attitude. The kind of underwear, the rapists background etc.
    The point is we treat rape differently to other crimes, that IMO, is what people are referring to when they say 'rape culture'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's your problem H, twirling that dial to Newstalk is something any rational human being should avoid like pubic lice. A station whose main demographic for many of its programmes seems to be bored menopausal office worker types who are pissed off that men don't notice them any more, if they ever did. With added cats. About its only value is if you like being wound up, or need to temporarily raise your blood pressure for medical reasons.

Haha in fairness I have turned the dial, I don't listen to the media much at all by and large.

If they're not pushing some agenda, they're doing their best to depress you with horror stories. Best avoided!

silverharp wrote: »
    some cities have introduced them, not really a thing in ireland maybe we are less woke? Spain seem to be woke though

Yeah, taking up an unreasonable amount of space on public transport is... unreasonable. So I'm happy with it being banned along with bags and feet taking up seats. I would disagree if it's only considered possible for men to take up too much space. If it's a ban on anyone taking up an unreasonable amount of space by spreading their legs, then fine.

Wouldn't you agree?

Never heard the rapist defence that she went back to his flat so therefore was willing? Her skirt was short and she was drunk, so therefore consent was implied? Never?

In what way is that defence the same as
    the burglar just did what burglars do and shouldn't be charged with anything?

They are completely different examples and unbelievably unrelated in any way whatsoever.

Rape is treated differently to a lot of crimes because a lot of the time it isn't cut and dry with regards to evidence. It is very hard to prove and equally hard to disprove.

This doesn't mean that we tolerate it, or encourage it which is what a "culture" implies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

silverharp wrote: »

That article is gas- one interviewer tells us how when her neighbor manspread on the bus she kicked him- not a bit of irony to her either.

We have someone committing an assault on another passenger but manspreading is the problem in this article

Yeah, right

I think misandry culture is more an issue than rape culture based on that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

tritium wrote: »
    I think misandry culture is more an issue than rape culture based on that article.

The most sickening thing about the current misandry culture is how it's more than tolerated - it's virtually applauded.

Imagine an advert with a young girl. She looks at the camera and says "No man is going to tell me what to do". We then see her doing a 100 M sprint and after the race she says "I'm the future, I'm number 1".

People would be saying how it's such a powerful advert, women are amazing, etc.

Now let's replay the advert, but with a boy.

He looks at the camera and says "No woman is going to tell me what to do". We then see him doing a 100 M sprint and after the race he says "I'm the future, I'm number 1".

It would probably be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,120 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its accurate to label it a culture. But doing so directly isn't really the answer. If you want to change culture you do so subversively and without the opposition realizing what you are doing.

Firstly, how are you defining the word "culture"? Generally speaking?

Secondly, do you have the right to change a culture you disagree with? Again, generally speaking?

If you find yourself going back to this specific use of the word "culture" then it is most certainly NOT accurate to label it "culture".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    The most sickening thing about the current misandry culture is how it's more than tolerated - it's virtually applauded.

Imagine an advert with a young girl. She looks at the camera and says "No man is going to tell me what to do". We then see her doing a 100 M sprint and after the race she says "I'm the future, I'm number 1".

He looks at the camera and says "No woman is going to tell me what to do". We then see him doing a 100 M sprint and after the race he says "I'm the future, I'm number 1".

these kind of "if they did that the other way round" arguments arent the deal, its complete whataboutery, its the fact they don't do them that way is the real point. its not whether things would be banned/condemned etc... its that the corporate world, media etc... are so afraid that they wont promote men, say positive things about men, use white men in advertising, make films with white male characters, back white male politicians etc.... that should scare us.

these kind of "if they did that the other way round" arguments arent the deal, its complete whataboutery, its the fact they don't do them that way is the real point. its not whether things would be banned/condemned etc... its that the corporate world, media etc... are so afraid that they wont promote men, say positive things about men, use white men in advertising, make films with white male characters, back white male politicians etc.... that should scare us.

LOL. Are you saying you don't see men promoted, or see media say positive things about men, use white men in advertising, make films with white male characters, back white male politicians? Are you living in Zimbabwe or something? Cos I'm watching tv and I see all these things in a single ad break (except there was no politics in the ad break)

Do you not see these things or what? What's the story that you haven't seen films with white male characters (white male heros) for example?

Be honest, you’re making things up when you say you don’t see films with white men. Kinda exemplifies the kind of persecution fantasy the usual posters will like, but it’s detached from reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

OMM 0000 wrote: »

in much the same way its the same with race.

A black man can openly say he is black and proud, and he is commended for his pride in his culture.

You say you are white and proud and you will be thought of as a nazi or racist,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

You asked me a question?

Yes.

Question: a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information.

The question I asked relating to your juvenile and inflammatory statement which I know you are aware of. The question you seem to be so incapable of answering.

If anybody actually thinks that Ireland has a rape culture, they are ****ing idiots and it would be best to ignore the stupid c*nts.

While I agree that they're idiots, I don't agree that they should be ignored. That's how these idiots gained so much influence for their ideas, and eventually they're accepted by official organisations because too few people are opposing them.

Retarded feminism needs to be stopped in it's tracks, and the double standards highlighted so that we move away from this biased society that's developing.

While I agree that they're idiots, I don't agree that they should be ignored. That's how these idiots gained so much influence for their ideas, and eventually they're accepted by official organisations because too few people are opposing them.

Retarded feminism needs to be stopped in it's tracks, and the double standards highlighted so that we move away from this biased society that's developing.

Watch all this talk of doing something go out the window when there's an opportunity to do so. In a couple of weeks it will be International Men's Day (November 19th, spread the word) and you'll see the same people who pretend to care about men and boys and all these issues, not giving a single solitary shyte about actually doing anything.

You'll see loads of the outspoken feminists on boards will highlight the day, mention some of the inspirational men in their lives and highlight the issues that IMD is aiming to highlight. And the posters who bang on about feminism all year round will be noticeably by their total lack of fcuks given.

The simple fact is that activism works. If you care about mens issues then focus on those issues. Opposing feminism is your prerogative but it will do nothing except make the fight about feminism louder.

I was going to start a thread on IMD anyway so I'll do it today and you can see the reaction for yourselves. I guarantee you the prominent feminists will support it. I can't say the same for the posters who go on and on and on and on and on about feminism. They usually don't give a shyte about men's issue. They just like the row about feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Public transport is not particularly comfortable if it's full. If you think Other people should just endure it if you want to spread your legs into the space in from tog their seat. Then yes, I'd call that and unreasonable sense of entitlement.

And if you've managed to tie your self esteem into that unreasonable entitlement, then I think you've been foolish.

It's actually pretty funny that were discussing it as reasonable to expect other people to be happy about you spreading your legs on busy public transport. And if someone isn't happy about it they're being unreasonable and damaging your sense of yourself.

\Endure\, Entitled' You should really give the coolade a rest. men aren't these creatures that women have to endure and try and regulate their entitlement.

LOL. Are you saying you don't see men promoted, or see media say positive things about men, use white men in advertising, make films with white male characters, back white male politicians? Are you living in Zimbabwe or something? Cos I'm watching tv and I see all these things in a single ad break (except there was no politics in the ad break)

Do you not see these things or what? What's the story that you haven't seen films with white male characters (white male heros) for example?

Be honest, you’re making things up when you say you don’t see films with white men. Kinda exemplifies the kind of persecution fantasy the usual posters will like, but it’s detached from reality.

Oh yes, the evil white men. :rolleyes:

\Endure\, Entitled' You should really give the coolade a rest. men aren't these creatures that women have to endure and try and regulate their entitlement.

Yeah OK, fair enough. If your sense of self is upset by people asking you to keep yourself to yourself on busy public transport, then there's no need for me to add to your problem.

• Advertisement

Oh yes, the evil white men. :rolleyes:

I see loads of white men on tv. Good, bad and nuanced, heroes and villains and sometimes both at once.

I really don’t know what your watching if you don’t see men on tv. The sense of victimhood is getting a bit mad if you can seriously say you only see white hen as villains on tv. Maybe it says more about you than the tv.

I watched Dublin Murders on bbc last night with the mrs and most of the main characters were men. The good guys, the bad guys, one of the 2 heroes, the paternalistic boss and all were white. I see loads of men in the tv shows I watch.

I see loads of white men on tv. Good, bad and nuanced, heroes and villains and sometimes both at once.

I really don’t know what your watching if you don’t see men on tv. The sense of victimhood is getting a bit mad if you can seriously say you only see white hen as villains on tv. Maybe it says more about you than the tv.

I watched Dublin Murders on bbc last night with the mrs and most of the main characters were men. The good guys, the bad guys, one of the 2 heroes, the paternalistic boss and all were white. I see loads of men in the tv shows I watch.

Loads of men. Should be shot or replaced with evil rapists imo.

I watch/read alot of novels/tv shows by female writers and, imo, there is a predisposition to see men in actually quite a negative light. Kind of like a house dog or a wild dog.

Yeah OK, fair enough. If your sense of self is upset by people asking you to keep yourself to yourself on busy public transport, then there's no need for me to add to your problem.

Maybe the people who are talking about manspreading keep themselves to themselves? It seems strange to make a big deal out of a man having the audacity to sit in a certain way.

As a sidenote, do you know that manspreading is seen as 87% more attractive by women than non-manspreading? Interesting correlation

Loads of men. Should be shot or replaced with evil rapists imo.

I watch/read alot of novels/tv shows by female writers and, imo, there is a predisposition to see men in actually quite a negative light. Kind of like a house dog or a wild dog.

Yeah that seems to be how you see men. I don't see men that way and I don't think that's how most people see men.

Maybe the people who are talking about manspreading keep themselves to themselves? It seems strange to make a big deal out of a man having the audacity to sit in a certain way.

As a sidenote, do you know that manspreading is seen as 87% more attractive by women than non-manspreading? Interesting correlation

Fascinating. Sounds like a totally legit stat too. I'll just swallow that one whole, no questions needed. Lol.

Yeah that seems to be how you see men. I don't see men that way and I don't think that's how most people see men.

Did you just make the argument of 'I'm rubber, your glue' ?

Fascinating. Sounds like a totally legit stat too. I'll just swallow that one whole, no questions needed. Lol.

Search it on google. Why in the world would I make up a study like that?

Did you just make the argument of 'I'm rubber, your glue' ?

No. You've said you see men on TV as bad guys. I said I see all kinds of men on TV and you said they should be replaced with rapists.

You seem determined to only see men as bad and dismiss positive portrayals of men.

Have you watched the new female Batman tv show? It's horrendous. The stereotypes are everywhere as is the very feminist mandate. The new Terminator movie is another good example. Or the next line of Marvel heroes. American TV and Hollywood has embraced the feminist ideology filling director/producer roles with females or men with "woke" attitudes. Every line and casting is a message that men are dangerous, foolish, or seeking to maintain a patriarchy. Twenty years ago, the scripts would never have passed a reading because they were so biased and sexist. Now? Go right ahead.

The media have latched on firmly to the idea that men are either dangerous, or incredibly stupid. It's one or the other. It's worth listing articles from media outlets over a two month period to see the disparity of articles released. There's a definite agenda to portray men as being inept as husbands or fathers.... and to show men as being threats to women either physically or to hold them back in society/workplace.

We live in a world that is deeply biased against men already.

We live in a world that is deeply biased against men already.

***grabs popcorn and waits for privilege to be checked***

• Advertisement

***grabs popcorn and waits for privilege to be checked***

I'm fine with being hit for this. :D

I can list plenty of examples where females receive preferential treatment due to their gender in situations where there is no need for it.

Advertisement