Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

I think we all got stonewalled or just told to piss off by VW, doesn't look like Irish customers will be getting the same offer :(

I might give it another go tomorrow, if I can summon the patience to deal with VW customer service

My case is still open with VW. Latest update is that it’s been considered a level 3 case (whatever they means) with VW Germany in contact with VW Ireland asking them why the rates advertised are different. They are waiting for VW Ireland to reply as at Monday.

I’m sure they are fed up of me pushing for a decent answer on this, but I’ll keep going until somebody tells me what has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

forumdedum wrote: »
    In the family version with heat-reflecting and acoustic glass what are the pros and cons of this? Thanks

Basically it's double glazed glass in the front windows, so will reduce road noise and heat losses

There's also a heat reflective layer which should reduce the amount the car heats up in hot weather, so you don't need to use the AC as much

Main disadvantage is the cost

Personally I wish car manufacturers would put some more effort into insulation. With EVs in particular if you reduced the heat losses in winter you wouldn't lose a big chunk of your range

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Basically it's double glazed glass in the front windows, so will reduce road noise and heat losses

There's also a heat reflective layer which should reduce the amount the car heats up in hot weather, so you don't need to use the AC as much

Main disadvantage is the cost

Personally I wish car manufacturers would put some more effort into insulation. With EVs in particular if you reduced the heat losses in winter you wouldn't lose a big chunk of your range

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it would stop some sunlight heat coming into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

Funnily enough I tend to see more Burger kings when I'm doing long journeys. I think that might be because Applegreen seem to be along most of the motorways I've used in the past few years and they tend to have burger king

I agree the food isn't great, it's what you'd call functional food. Easy to eat but not going to leave a lasting impression. Okay for the odd time but I think my soul would be crushed if I was eating it regularly

Some of the motorway services have delis that serve carvery style dinner, they're a lot better than fast food IMO

I think if I was regularly doing long journeys I'd get into the habit of bringing a packed lunch. Might even see if I can put an inverter in the car so I can heat something up in a microwave :)

I told myself the same thing, but hasn't happened yet..:)
    Must say though, I enjoyed my Wrap-of-the-day and coffee at Kilcullen yesterday. And only stopped there for a convenient P break..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Id4. Does anybody think that they are going to match the 0% PCP that is now on the Id3 any time soon?

• Advertisement

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Id4. Does anybody think that they are going to match the 0% PCP that is now on the Id3 any time soon?

I honestly don't think they will, the ID.4 is selling like crazy across all of Europe and production is maxed out by all account

They could offer a reduced rate on the higher spec trims since those have a higher profit margin built in anyway

Having said that, I could be wrong

Are you in a position that you can wait a while or are you under time pressure? If you can wait a few weeks then it might be worthwhile, there could be stock cars going up for sale from people who backed out of their purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭fits

If they do between now and car arriving you should be able to avail of it anyway. But I doubt they will as it’s selling very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

I honestly don't think they will, the ID.4 is selling like crazy across all of Europe and production is maxed out by all account

They could offer a reduced rate on the higher spec trims since those have a higher profit margin built in anyway

Having said that, I could be wrong

Are you in a position that you can wait a while or are you under time pressure? If you can wait a few weeks then it might be worthwhile, there could be stock cars going up for sale from people who backed out of their purchase

Yeah, that is my thought as well. Was just hoping :rolleyes:

And 1st Max owner got updates on their cars? I'm being told it'll arrive next week now

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in the ocean at this rate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Same as myself. I think tonight will be when it will decided after picking colour. Its between Blue or the Moonstone Grey.

Friend who works in VW says the Blue is the most popular and looks the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

pad199207 wrote: »
    Same as myself. I think tonight will be when it will decided after picking colour. Its between Blue or the Moonstone Grey.

Friend who works in VW says the Blue is the most popular and looks the best.

Blue is best of the launch colours I think (and I'm saying that as someone with a Manganese Grey ID4). There's a couple of new colours now with the series models. Moonstone Grey is one - it's flat paint though I think? Other is silver - looks white in brochure but may be nicer in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Anyone know how to change the setting that says winter tyres? I am assuming it should be all season or summer?

Cannot find any option to change it in the menu.

Blue is best of the launch colours I think (and I'm saying that as someone with a Manganese Grey ID4). There's a couple of new colours now with the series models. Moonstone Grey is one - it's flat paint though I think? Other is silver - looks white in brochure but may be nicer in the flesh.

How do you find the manganese grey?

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How do you find the manganese grey?

I've seen him drive by. I think it's the second best colour available behind blue dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robotfarmer

The last few times I was in Cashel, I had to wait to get my car charged.

ICEd or being used by EVs? Hopefully the latter, it'd be good to see them being used

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robotfarmer

ICEd or being used by EVs? Hopefully the latter, it'd be good to see them being used

Used by Ev's. We need more stations. If Ev's double next year which is expected, we could have to wait for 3 or 4 cars to charge before us.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Used by Ev's. We need more stations. If Ev's double next year which is expected, we could have to wait for 3 or 4 cars to charge before us.

I think in all my limited charging at Cashel, ionity has only once ever had 1 other car there when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

Were you trying to use Ionity or just the ecars?

I see VW give an 8 year guarantee on the battery. How long do EV batteries usually go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

I see VW give an 8 year guarantee on the battery. How long do EV batteries usually go for?

Nobody knows, new product and market

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Think all car companies give 8 years now. There are 2010 Nissan Leafs still going strong. Probably lost some range but still working away. So that's at least 11 years anyway.

Gosh it’s really difficult to come to a final decision. So many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

Would hope a very long time. Especially with the battery management that is being used and the heating and cooling. And with average mileage larger battery cars will need charging much less than older EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Liam2021

There is so many questions and if's. Don't know if the country is ready for electric yet and the milage does not seem to be very good at the moment. Had thought about an ID4 but I think it will be a new Allspace next time. Don't know weather to get petrol or diesel.

Liam2021 wrote: »
    There is so many questions and if's. Don't know if the country is ready for electric yet and the milage does not seem to be very good at the moment. Had thought about an ID4 but I think it will be a new Allspace next time. Don't know weather to get petrol or diesel.

I know. Second thoughts are starting to run through my mind.

8 years or 160,000km, whichever comes first

However, there's a level of degradation allowed for in that warranty. Up to 30% degredation after 8 years is allowed under the warranty. FYI, Tesla give the same warranty with the Model 3

Now, if you're worried, bear in mind a lot of 1st Gen Leafs are over 10 years old and still have over 80% of their range

And they used an older, less reliable battery design, with a 5 year warranty. Plus no battery cooling

I would not be surprised to see ID.4s in 10 years with well over 80% of their battery capacity remaining

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jonerp

The battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 160000km. I bought a blue one 6 weeks ago and absolutely no regrets. I had a lot of reservations and dwelled on a lot of “what if” issues. I have 4000 Km up already but my mileage won’t always be that high. You adapt to the whole EV way very quickly. I’m not concerned about battery degradation but I do plan to trade in 3 years. Go for it if an EV suits your driving needs and your willing to put up with some short term software issues that will be resolved….. the scheduled charging not working is a bit of a pain but it hasn’t dampened my satisfaction with the car.

Liam2021 wrote: »

When they built a dam across the Shannon there were people saying that electricity would never catch on, and yet here we are

Modern EVs can get 300-350km at motorway speeds without needing a recharge, for most of the population that's a week's driving on a single charge, so the range argument doesn't really fly anymore

Yes the infrastructure isn't brilliant, but of you're only using it once in a blue moon then you don't really care. And at some point someone is going to pull the finger out and build some decent charging infrastructure in Ireland, it's only a matter of time

I've been driving a Leaf for 4 years now. There were exactly 2 occasions where it was easier to take the petrol car, and one of those was just to avoid an argument with the missus

So trust me when I say that 90% of the population could switch to EVs tomorrow and, assuming they have access to home charging, suffer no impact to their lifestyle

• Advertisement

jonerp wrote: »
    The battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 160000km. I bought a blue one 6 weeks ago and absolutely no regrets. I had a lot of reservations and dwelled on a lot of “what if” issues. I have 4000 Km up already but my mileage won’t always be that high. You adapt to the whole EV way very quickly. I’m not concerned about battery degradation but I do plan to trade in 3 years. Go for it if an EV suits your driving needs and your willing to put up with some short term software issues that will be resolved….. the scheduled charging not working is a bit of a pain but it hasn’t dampened my satisfaction with the car.

Fantastic honest and balanced review cheers :)

Advertisement