Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

I have. When I select to use Android auto in guessing the Bluetooth gives my phone the wifi password and it connects to the wifi then.

Might see if I can connect the car to a wifi hotspot (different phone) and connect my phone to the cars WiFi for Android auto, and still get all the online bits and bobs. Not sure it's worth it though. Cubic has 90days for €19, giving 5gb. Assuming a somewhat similar pattern of usage (1gb in a bit over a month) it could be plenty. Have to figure out if when I'm hotspotting and on the cars wifi, what internet source are devices connected to my phone's hotspot getting? The car Sim or my phone Sim?

How did you use 1gb in a month? I signed up for the free trial on 25 March and still have 883mb remaining? To be fair I didn't connect any of the kids ipads/nintendo switch to the car wifi, the only time I used the car plan was messing with the internet radio which gets boring fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

forumdedum wrote: »
    Moonstone grey?

Moonstone grey for me, definitely the best colour

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »
    How did you use 1gb in a month? I signed up for the free trial on 25 March and still have 883mb remaining? To be fair I didn't connect any of the kids ipads/nintendo switch to the car wifi, the only time I used the car plan was messing with the internet radio which gets boring fairly quickly.

Pretty sure because my phone was connected to the cars wifi, my hotspot which the kids are connected to pulled from the cars wifi (through my phone)

Tried out the high power charger in Athlone. 28% SOC, but a cool battery (maybe into double digits). 75kW power. Assuming it was the car BMS determining it, not the unit load sharing with nothing else plugged in.
    20 minutes later, 58%. Happy enough with that.

That's a decent result. Did you park in the middle bay, the cable is very short on that charger.

• Advertisement

That's a decent result. Did you park in the middle bay, the cable is very short on that charger.

Yup. Middle bay. Pulled the CHAdeMO towards the left bay while I charged and no chance it'd reach if I had to park there. Would have to park arseways (if possible) to charge from that bay, or from the parking spaces behind the unit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moonstone grey for me, definitely the best colour

The Moonstone is actually really nice. Looks much better than the configurator online

7-E6-FE6-CE-CFBA-4-E9-D-A543-143-B4-FA7405-B.jpg
    2538-D849-48-EA-4-FCD-A1-B3-7-C5-AD471482-A.jpg

Yup. Middle bay. Pulled the CHAdeMO towards the left bay while I charged and no chance it'd reach if I had to park there. Would have to park arseways (if possible) to charge from that bay, or from the parking spaces behind the unit

It would be interesting to see what those chargers can actually provide and if anyone has got over 100 Kw I would love to know.

Battery temp will have an impact, can't wait to get the id3 tour 5 to plug in and see what's going on with all that stuff behind the scene. :D

It would be interesting to see what those chargers can actually provide and if anyone has got over 100 Kw I would love to know.

Battery temp will have an impact, can't wait to get the id3 tour 5 to plug in and see what's going on with all that stuff behind the scene. :D

Plugshare doesn't suggest anything too promising. Couple of model 3s pulling sub 50kW. From what I've seen the 77kWh battery pack in the id cars will give you 125kW if you're low SOC and warm, but if you're not low SOC but warm battery you won't get the fastned charging curve they show. 75kW is a bit disappointing given the charging curve fastned provides. My old ioniq was pulling 68kW up to 80% SOC and that's 4 years ago tech.

Plugshare doesn't suggest anything too promising. Couple of model 3s pulling sub 50kW. From what I've seen the 77kWh battery pack in the id cars will give you 125kW if you're low SOC and warm, but if you're not low SOC but warm battery you won't get the fastned charging curve they show. 75kW is a bit disappointing given the charging curve fastned provides. My old ioniq was pulling 68kW up to 80% SOC and that's 4 years ago tech.

Are we talking ESB chargers here or any higher power charger ?

• Advertisement

Are we talking ESB chargers here or any higher power charger ?

Just from reports here. No specific charger mentioned, but I'd assume ESB ones. With 400km range it'll be a while before I need a HPC again, so can't test. No HPC in Cork either so can't try it for the sake of it after the return leg.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No HPC in Cork either so can't try it for the sake of it after the return leg.

I know it’s more suited to the eCars thread, but the DC charging options in Cork are absolutely shocking!!!!

Even a HPC on the outskirts….. Cashel would be an ideal location but I guess eCars won’t touch/upgrade it as it’s ‘already served by Ionity’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I know it’s more suited to the eCars thread, but the DC charging options in Cork are absolutely shocking!!!!

Even a HPC on the outskirts….. Cashel would be an ideal location but I guess eCars won’t touch/upgrade it as it’s ‘already served by Ionity’

Didn't they put a HPC in Athlone which already has an Ionity hub? Different locations but it would take away any excuse for not putting a HPC on the outskirts of Cork

It'd be ideal for me as it takes a Dublin to Cork and back drive down to a single charge instead of a stop in Cashel each way

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just plugged the granny cable in there to check it was a) working and b) what the charge rate is.

So it works, which is always good and charges at 14 km/hr added.

So based on being empty, this is nearly 40 hours to fully charge. Now it is at 90% so I am unsure of it would charge faster if it was below 20% for example.

Good to know though. Not an option for many trips, but for a weekend, could definitely work.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Just plugged the granny cable in there to check it was a) working and b) what the charge rate is.

So it works, which is always good and charges at 14 km/hr added.

So based on being empty, this is nearly 40 hours to fully charge. Now it is at 90% so I am unsure of it would charge faster if it was below 20% for example.

Good to know though. Not an option for many trips, but for a weekend, could definitely work.

Probably won't go any faster, you'll only be charging at 2kW which the battery can easily handle all the way up to 100%

Another way of thinking about the granny cable is what it'll give you after an overnight charge

Say you arrived at a holiday home at 7pm with 10% SoC and left the car charging overnight. By 10am the next day, you should have gained around 34kWh of battery, giving you around 55% SoC

Say you drove 100km the next day doing some sightseeing and arrived back with 25% SoC. another overnight charge brings you to around 70% SoC

Leaving for home with 70% SoC would dramatically cut down the amount of fast charging needed, thus saving you some money and time

I've always felt the granny cable is severaly underrated. Chargers can be difficult to come by but you'll have to be pretty isolated not to find a regular 3 pin socket

Probably won't go any faster, you'll only be charging at 2kW which the battery can easily handle all the way up to 100%

Another way of thinking about the granny cable is what it'll give you after an overnight charge

Say you arrived at a holiday home at 7pm with 10% SoC and left the car charging overnight. By 10am the next day, you should have gained around 34kWh of battery, giving you around 55% SoC

Say you drove 100km the next day doing some sightseeing and arrived back with 25% SoC. another overnight charge brings you to around 70% SoC

Leaving for home with 70% SoC would dramatically cut down the amount of fast charging needed, thus saving you some money and time

I've always felt the granny cable is severaly underrated. Chargers can be difficult to come by but you'll have to be pretty isolated not to find a regular 3 pin socket

This is really accurate. With the range on the ID4, I think the only time for me that I may need the fast chargers will be if I have to go to Cork, approx. 240KMs each way for me, and back in the same day.

For anyone with the LED bar at the back, watch out for summer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuYvRS5Bf4

Warm weather seems to cause the plastic to expand and the LED bar across the boot lid starts to come out of place

VW are apparently aware of the fix and have 'better' brackets that will hold it in place

And here I thought Tesla were the panel gap experts :P

boccy23 wrote: »
    This is really accurate. With the range on the ID4, I think the only time for me that I may need the fast chargers will be if I have to go to Cork, approx. 240KMs each way for me, and back in the same day.

Yeah I had someone on the travel forum telling me how EVs are too much hassle to be bringing on holiday and they'd stick with an ICE because they didn't want to be stopping.

I demonstrated to them that you can do an entire holiday without a single charging stop by using the granny cable, so in effect the ICE car is more hassle because you'd have to make at least 1 fuel stop :)

Yeah I had someone on the travel forum telling me how EVs are too much hassle to be bringing on holiday and they'd stick with an ICE because they didn't want to be stopping.

I demonstrated to them that you can do an entire holiday without a single charging stop by using the granny cable, so in effect the ICE car is more hassle because you'd have to make at least 1 fuel stop :)

Agree with you there. The 1 day up and back is the only "real" limitation and even that is not a huge deterrent.

I haven't tried the ID.4 granny cable yet but should get round to it to check it works.

The only time I ever used one was on my Leaf, and that was through a window into a wall socket before I got a wall charger.

If you were to use an extension cable for the granny charger what would people recommend? I remember it was discussed before but can't find the posts.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried the ID.4 granny cable yet but should get round to it to check it works.

The only time I ever used one was on my Leaf, and that was through a window into a wall socket before I got a wall charger.

If you were to use an extension cable for the granny charger what would people recommend? I remember it was discussed before but can't find the posts.

A good 13a rated extension cable. Fully unraveled. Nothing else plugged into it. Nothing else plugged into the same 2 gang socket.
    Reduced the AC current if it's old wiring

Didn't they put a HPC in Athlone which already has an Ionity hub? Different locations but it would take away any excuse for not putting a HPC on the outskirts of Cork

It'd be ideal for me as it takes a Dublin to Cork and back drive down to a single charge instead of a stop in Cashel each way

Kilmartins and ionity Athlone are nicely spread apart to serve different routes. Cork to Athlone I'd go nowhere near ionity, but I literally drive past kilmartins garage. Pity both are served by McDonald's. No variety on a Dublin to Galway drive.

Kilmartins and ionity Athlone are nicely spread apart to serve different routes. Cork to Athlone I'd go nowhere near ionity, but I literally drive past kilmartins garage. Pity both are served by McDonald's. No variety on a Dublin to Galway drive.

What's wrong with Ionity ?

I really feel there should be some king of law stating that at every service station there should be real food served, I like that there is a Camile at Kilcullen on the M9 so much nicer

I really feel there should be some king of law stating that at every service station there should be real food served, I like that there is a Camile at Kilcullen on the M9 so much nicer

Probably the best excuse I've heard for not buying an EV is that all the takeaway food you eat during charging will be bad for your health

Certainly I'd be worried if I was regularly stopping at motorway services, especially since some of them have Krispy Kreme stalls now

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Robotfarmer

Any update on lower price for charging VW at Ionity stations?

Never said anything was wrong with them, just that they're not in my route, so I used kilmartins. I was backing up the placement of ionity Athlone and the 150kW Athlone "hub".

Probably the best excuse I've heard for not buying an EV is that all the takeaway food you eat during charging will be bad for your health

Certainly I'd be worried if I was regularly stopping at motorway services, especially since some of them have Krispy Kreme stalls now

Funny enough with my ioniq we'd always stop at Cashel and get just a tea and maybe a pastry, but never consider McDonald's. In the ID4 on Monday we got to Roscrea and the little ones were not having it so we pulled in at the Roscrea FCP. Not to charge, just to give them a break and some attention. Ended up getting my first McDonald's in years. It was convenient, but overall not what I'd of wanted. Didn't even have fruit for the kids meal. It's annoying the hold McDonald's have on MSPs in Ireland.

Any update on lower price for charging VW at Ionity stations?

I think we all got stonewalled or just told to piss off by VW, doesn't look like Irish customers will be getting the same offer :(

I might give it another go tomorrow, if I can summon the patience to deal with VW customer service

Funny enough with my ioniq we'd always stop at Cashel and get just a tea and maybe a pastry, but never consider McDonald's. In the ID4 on Monday we got to Roscrea and the little ones were not having it so we pulled in at the Roscrea FCP. Not to charge, just to give them a break and some attention. Ended up getting my first McDonald's in years. It was convenient, but overall not what I'd of wanted. Didn't even have fruit for the kids meal. It's annoying the hold McDonald's have on MSPs in Ireland.

Funnily enough I tend to see more Burger kings when I'm doing long journeys. I think that might be because Applegreen seem to be along most of the motorways I've used in the past few years and they tend to have burger king

I agree the food isn't great, it's what you'd call functional food. Easy to eat but not going to leave a lasting impression. Okay for the odd time but I think my soul would be crushed if I was eating it regularly

Some of the motorway services have delis that serve carvery style dinner, they're a lot better than fast food IMO

I think if I was regularly doing long journeys I'd get into the habit of bringing a packed lunch. Might even see if I can put an inverter in the car so I can heat something up in a microwave :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

In the family version with heat-reflecting and acoustic glass what are the pros and cons of this? Thanks

Advertisement