Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Maps work. Not sure about live data though. I'd assume not, since as soon as I disabled my hotspot the car gave me a notification to say internet Radio is unavailable, and to connect to a wifi.

I've used my free 1gb over the last 5 weeks it seems. Guess it's not 1gb/month for 3 months

How good is that internet radio? And would you be better off with Android Auto/Apple Carplay?

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

deravarra wrote: »
    How good is that internet radio? And would you be better off with Android Auto/Apple Carplay?

Oh I don't care about internet Radio. But without connecting to the cars wifi you can't use wireless Android auto

Oh I don't care about internet Radio. But without connecting to the cars wifi you can't use wireless Android auto

Oh damn :(

Maps work. Not sure about live data though. I'd assume not, since as soon as I disabled my hotspot the car gave me a notification to say internet Radio is unavailable, and to connect to a wifi.

I've used my free 1gb over the last 5 weeks it seems. Guess it's not 1gb/month for 3 months

Was looking at the prices and options. 25gb for 12 months seems
    a little on the small side. Am just wondering, would it be possible to get a sim from another provider and stick that in instead? Far better deals out there on data alone. One company doing 100GB for 10.99 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Was looking at the prices and options. 25gb for 12 months seems
    a little on the small side. Am just wondering, would it be possible to get a sim from another provider and stick that in instead? Far better deals out there on data alone. One company doing 100GB for 10.99 per month

I just tether the car to my mobile via the hotspot on the phone. Works like a charm. Those prices for the data only plans are extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Correct, that was a shock to me too. Its a total figure, not per month. They didnt make that clear at all!

Eating through 1GB is simple these days.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    I just tether the car to my mobile via the hotspot on the phone. Works like a charm. Those prices for the data only plans are extortionate.

Considering the fact that the majority of mobile providers will give unlimited data with their plans make this providers plans seem out of touch with reality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

How do you do that? When I tried, the phone has the VW WiFi shown.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've signed up with premium connectivity with Tesla for €9.99 per month, and there's no mention whatsoever about data limits..
    Bear in mind the Model 3 has Netflix & Youtube, as well as Spotify & TuneIn.... so I'd imagine we use a lot of data... but no mention of it!!

with the premium connectivity, you also get the satellite map view as well as live traffic..

When the free trial expired I tried for a few weeks using a hotspot from the phone, but it was a royal pain in the a$$, you have to manually re-connect the car to the hotspot every time you got back into the car..... even if you get out for 20 seconds......

Easily worth the €0.33 per day.... it costs in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Considering the fact that the majority of mobile providers will give unlimited data with their plans make this providers plans seem out of touch with reality

Captive audience I'd say is the reason there. A bit like expensive airport food, simply because you dont have a choice.

Unless you can change the SIM, but I'd have my doubts as to whether that would work without some software mods on VW's part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Wireless Android auto works over Bluetooth. Connects to the car every time I sit in and I don't have a data plan on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

How much is it costing current owners for a full charge at home overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

pad199207 wrote: »

Depends on how far you drive :D

For me, I'm expecting to pay just under €100 per year on electricity, assuming I charge at the night rate (5.23c/kWh) and average around 22.5kWh/100km and drive 12,500km in a year

So for a full charge, you'd be expecting to pay:

77kWh*110% (for losses) = ~85kWh
    85kWh * 0.0523€/kWh = €4.45

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

my father-in-law said it cost him around €1.50/€1.70 (I got the information from my wife so may not be 100% accurate)

they have the car less than 2 weeks.

Wireless Android auto works over Bluetooth. Connects to the car every time I sit in and I don't have a data plan on the car.

Does not for me. Connected by Bluetooth I get "app connect" rather than Android auto button. When I select it, Android auto is offered. Once selected it asks me to connect to Android auto. Upon selecting the phone connects up to the cars hotspot. Even turns on my phone's wireless if it's off. Only way I can use Android auto without being on cars wifi is by using the cable

my father-in-law said it cost him around €1.50/€1.70 (I got the information from my wife so may not be 100% accurate)

Thats absolutely fantastic.

They are wrong. There's no energy provider offering electricity at a rate near that. the_amazing_raisin is far more accurate in his calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I have been putting everything in at 20c (domestic day rate) and full charges are coming in at between €10 and €13 from the home charger. When my contract is up with current electricity provider, I will be changing that to night rate. but would still expect it to cost between €5 and €8 for a fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does not for me. Connected by Bluetooth I get "app connect" rather than Android auto button. When I select it, Android auto is offered. Once selected it asks me to connect to Android auto. Upon selecting the phone connects up to the cars hotspot. Even turns on my phone's wireless if it's off. Only way I can use Android auto without being on cars wifi is by using the cable

I'm guessing you're using wireless Android auto? AFAIK it needs to connect to the car via WiFi for that to work, so you won't be able to share your phones network to the car

Maybe using a wired connection for Android auto would fix it?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

That's very strange. Mine just connects over Bluetooth, both mine and my wife and we can switch between them. Have you tried setting your phone to forget the cars WiFi, maybe it uses that if it's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I have been putting everything in at 20c (domestic day rate) and full charges are coming in at between €10 and €13 from the home charger. When my contract is up with current electricity provider, I will be changing that to night rate. but would still expect it to cost between €5 and €8 for a fill.

Just be careful when looking at day/night rates. Energia looks promising with their EV rate, however when you take in the very high standing charge it's not so good.

I recently went with Bright as my electricty provider. Their standing charge is less than half of the Energia one, but their night and day rates are a bit higher. I worked out that I'm saving a bit over €60 a year with Bright, even with the higher unit cost. They have no contract, so I can switch with no notice if a better deal comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

boccy23 wrote: »

Turn on the Hotspot function on your phone. I've an android phone, so its under Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering

Press the "Mobile Hotspot" option.

The Network name is shown on this screen along with the password. Press Configure if you want to change them. Under the Advanced section in the configuration screen you can set the length of time it stays on when no devices are connected.

By default the Mobile Hotspot is off, so press the switch at the top of the "Mobile Hotspot" page to turn it on.

Then once its on, go into the Wi-Fi screen on the ID.4. Give it a minute or two and your hotspot name should appear. When it does, select it, and key in the password, and bobs the job.

I tether all the time when in the ID.4. I have the Mobile Hotspot option as a quick button in the drag down menu at the top of the phone, so I can switch it on and off as needed. Also have it configured to never time out when no devices are connected. So once I turn it on, and start the car it will auto connect back to it.

That's very strange. Mine just connects over Bluetooth, both mine and my wife and we can switch between them. Have you tried setting your phone to forget the cars WiFi, maybe it uses that if it's available.

I have. When I select to use Android auto in guessing the Bluetooth gives my phone the wifi password and it connects to the wifi then.

Might see if I can connect the car to a wifi hotspot (different phone) and connect my phone to the cars WiFi for Android auto, and still get all the online bits and bobs. Not sure it's worth it though. Cubic has 90days for €19, giving 5gb. Assuming a somewhat similar pattern of usage (1gb in a bit over a month) it could be plenty. Have to figure out if when I'm hotspotting and on the cars wifi, what internet source are devices connected to my phone's hotspot getting? The car Sim or my phone Sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

If you're using an iPhone, wireless carplay uses WiFi so I don't think you can use the hotspot while the WiFi is being used. Maybe it'll work if the phone is using wired carplay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Turn on the Hotspot function on your phone. I've an android phone, so its under Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering

Press the "Mobile Hotspot" option.

The Network name is shown on this screen along with the password. Press Configure if you want to change them. Under the Advanced section in the configuration screen you can set the length of time it stays on when no devices are connected.

By default the Mobile Hotspot is off, so press the switch at the top of the "Mobile Hotspot" page to turn it on.

Then once its on, go into the Wi-Fi screen on the ID.4. Give it a minute or two and your hotspot name should appear. When it does, select it, and key in the password, and bobs the job.

I tether all the time when in the ID.4. I have the Mobile Hotspot option as a quick button in the drag down menu at the top of the phone, so I can switch it on and off as needed. Also have it configured to never time out when no devices are connected. So once I turn it on, and start the car it will auto connect back to it.

Or, you know... you could have Macrodroid do all of that for you, without even taking the phone out of your pocket. It'll even turn the hotspot off when you leave the car.

Or, you know... you could have Macrodroid do all of that for you, without even taking the phone out of your pocket. It'll even turn the hotspot off when you leave the car.

Apple unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

Apple unfortunately.

You could always buy a low end android phone (€50 ish) and put a sim from 48mobile (€10.99 per month) or the likes in it ?

v10 wrote: »
    You could always buy a low end android phone (€50 ish) and put a sim from 48mobile (€10.99 per month) or the likes in it ?

True. Certainly worth thinking about. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭adam88

It was 47k new. If these are the numbers I’ll be getting, I certainly won’t be giving them another 20k for an ID 4

R line spec?? Colour?

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    R line spec?? Colour?

Yeah R line. Got much better offer

Advertisement