Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Spotted a German video of charging the ID.4 at Ionity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee6ESgoo3cw

Language is in german and auto translate is rubbish, but the charging screen thankfully needs no translation

Looks like it can hold 125kW up to 30%, 100kW to 50%, and is still charging at 50kW above 80%
    5% to 80% took 38 mins, looks like a pretty impressive charging speed

There's also a glimpse at the consumption at one point, 288Wh/km :eek:
    They mentioned they were speeding on the autobahn, and it is winter, so consumption would be expected to be high.

Assuming that consumption was constant, you're looking at around 270km of winter motorway range. Hopefully a more accurate range test comes out soon as there's not enough detail here to make an accurate judgement

EDIT: Pulled some details from the comments:

- "I drove a lot at top speed to empty the battery".
    - "most of the time 100 to 160 km / h"
    - "possibly 250 km range at 150 km / h in winter"

So it looks like he was hammering the car and doing a lot of accelerating, that'll really drain the battery rapidly

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Chris from youtube got an ID.4 to do an range test on

https://youtu.be/wC0AEK8B_eY

Cold weather, wet roads, traffic and high wind, pretty much the worst case scenario for an EV.

On the high speed runs he wasn't able to average 130km/h, only 110km/h, which is probably more representative of Irish motorways.

He got an average consumption of 253Wh/km, giving a range of around 300km in winter.

He did have the heat pump, but as Next Move found with the ID.3, the heat pump will only gain you about 5% of range

Not too bad all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Any time I see the yellow I really don't think it looks bad. Quite the opposite. The midnight blue or whatever it was called looks well too.

Is Ireland only getting the big battery option? 77kWh.

If the reason to never buy the xpeang is the boings and bleeps, the reason to never buy the id4 is the infotainment software. "Unusable" about sums it up. They have to be losing sleep over that.

Yeah the 1st edition only comes with the big battery, smaller battery to come later

The software definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hoping they had a development build on that car which might explain some of the issues, but certainly the ID.3 seems to have a lot of the same problems

The good news is that it's fixable via updates. And VW do seem to be trying to fix the problems, unlike some other legacy manufacturers who seem to out buggy software and then get bored and move on to the next car

Hopefully the OTA updates will be fixed soon, that'll let them roll out fixes much faster

• Advertisement

Found a price list from the Netherlands for accessories which lists the towbar

€1,295 inc VAT

I think the Dutch vat rate is lower, so it'll likely cost a bit more here. Seems pricey but I guess it's a fancy electric folding towbar so the price reflects that

Spoke with the dealer and he said the towbar won't be available until mid January 2021, so I assume it won't arrive with the car

€1,295 inc VAT

I think the Dutch vat rate is lower, so it'll likely cost a bit more here. Seems pricey but I guess it's a fancy electric folding towbar so the price reflects that

Spoke with the dealer and he said the towbar won't be available until mid January 2021, so I assume it won't arrive with the car

And it's only for a small box or bike rack. Not a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

And it's only for a small box or bike rack. Not a trailer

I thought it was rated for towing 1.2 tonnes?(not that I'm interested in towing because I can't imagine the consumption figures towing with an ev)

€1,295 inc VAT

I thought it was rated for towing 1.2 tonnes?(not that I'm interested in towing because I can't imagine the consumption figures towing with an ev)

You might be right actually. I thought bjorn said it was limited, but I couldn't see it in the video.

• Advertisement

You might be right actually. I thought bjorn said it was limited, but I couldn't see it in the video.

ID.4 can tow up to 1000kg, I think the 1200kg figure was for the US, rules might be different there

I'm not interested in towing either, but it's good to know it's there as an option

Bjorn did a few tests ages back towing stuff with his Model X, including a 1600kg caravan :eek:

The consumption figures are pretty dire as you can imagine, basically double or more what you'd normally do

However it's worth remembering that unless you're towing a horse box or caravan, you're likely only going a short distance with the trailer, so still within range of the battery

Just got a call from my dealer, due to the lockdown in Germany my ID.4 won't be ready for January and will probably be a February delivery :(

Not a disaster since I don't need the car right away, and it means I get an extra month's savings. But it is frustrating that the insurance on my Leaf ends in January and I was hoping to have it sold next month without needing to renew

Just got a call from my dealer, due to the lockdown in Germany my ID.4 won't be ready for January and will probably be a February delivery :(

Not a disaster since I don't need the car right away, and it means I get an extra month's savings. But it is frustrating that the insurance on my Leaf ends in January and I was hoping to have it sold next month without needing to renew

Anyone else hear this? Our dealer said late January, I'm not too worried either way but trying to time the sale of our own car.

Anyone else hear this? Our dealer said late January, I'm not too worried either way but trying to time the sale of our own car.

So the dealer said it came in a factory bulletin, which seems to indicate that it's a general delay rather than my specific car.

I'm assuming they're prioritising German deliveries since that's the main market and they probably want to make a big show of the first ID.4 delivery

Right hand drive cars probably got delayed since we're a smaller market

If you want my advice, I wouldn't put your car up for sale until you get a delivery date, unless you have a second car you can rely on for a few weeks

I'm currently seeing if I can persuade the missus to take my Leaf. I hadn't planned on it but if it gets rid of her dodgy Citroen then I'd almost give her the car

In a bizarre turn of events, she's offering me full price for the Leaf and I'm trying to argue her down since I know she'd prefer to hold on to her savings. So we're having a bit of reverse haggling where I'm trying to sell it to her for cheap and she's trying to argue me up in price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm currently looking at getting one (if I can persuade the highly skeptical Mrs) and my dealer is saying a small few will be in in Feb.

redlead wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at getting one (if I can persuade the highly skeptical Mrs) and my dealer is saying a small few will be in in Feb.

Yeah there's the 1st edition which will be available in Jan/Feb (February based on the news I got last week) and then the series edition will be out later

The 1st edition has limited choices and is the higher spec models, and only has the big battery (77kWh)

The series edition will have more choices and the smaller battery (52kWh) so if you're on a budget it might be worth waiting

I have a fairly good trade in so the first isn't crazy money for me. VW are offering me 5k more for my existing car than Tesla were when it was was a year younger. I'm guessing Tesla just don't like trade ins? Their offer was more crazy low than VWs being good. I think the 77kwh is what I'd prefer as it would be by first EV and I'd have regular 230ishkm journeys. I don't think I could hack the range anxiety of a lower one first time around.

redlead wrote: »
    I have a fairly good trade in so the first isn't crazy money for me. VW are offering me 5k more for my existing car than Tesla were when it was was a year younger. I'm guessing Tesla just don't like trade ins? Their offer was more crazy low than VWs being good. I think the 77kwh is what I'd prefer as it would be by first EV and I'd have regular 230ishkm journeys. I don't think I could hack the range anxiety of a lower one first time around.

I didn't even know Tesla did trade ins at all, they probably just sell them to another dealer hence the low amount

Judging from the videos, it looks like in the dead of winter at 110km/h you can probably manage 300km, so it sounds like the big battery version would work for you

I made my first venture into EV world a Gen1 Leaf as I figured if I can learn to live with that then any EV will suit me. 3 years later, and I'm a total convert, never wanna drive an ICE car again, too much hassle

Yeah you just give them the details on their site and they email you a quotation. I would have probably got a model 3 but the low ball offer just made it impossible without the hassle of a private sale. The ID4 ticks all the boxes for me though, probably even more so than the model 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭eagerv

I didn't even know Tesla did trade ins at all, they probably just sell them to another dealer hence the low amount

Judging from the videos, it looks like in the dead of winter at 110km/h you can probably manage 300km, so it sounds like the big battery version would work for you

I made my first venture into EV world a Gen1 Leaf as I figured if I can learn to live with that then any EV will suit me. 3 years later, and I'm a total convert, never wanna drive an ICE car again, too much hassle

I know the feeling, had a work car the other day and needed a bit of diesel. I didn't push the nozzle in far enough (Not used to car) and managed to fire diesel all over myself. Was stinking till I managed to get a shower..

Got the call from dealer earlier and they're expecting the car late Feb or early march. I'm guessing it'll be march at the earliest at this stage

Got the call from dealer earlier and they're expecting the car late Feb or early march. I'm guessing it'll be march at the earliest at this stage

Darn, I'm guessing I'll be the same, was hoping early February :(

Still, we probably won't be out of lockdown until March at least, so I guess there's not much point in upgrading before then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anybody have any idea what these cost now? The pricing on the configurator is all over the place currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Anybody have any idea what these cost now? The pricing on the configurator is all over the place currently.

Yea - was 65 & now 77 for the max :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The configurator is showing a price of €64,954.08 for the max (private buyer) after you make the selections.

liamog wrote: »
    The configurator is showing a price of €64,954.08 for the max after you make the selections.

Yeah it seems to have gone a bit bonkers, I've emailed the dealership to see what's up. I wonder has the VRT change screwed up their system, I noticed the grant amounts were higher than they should be

• Registered Users Posts: 65,023 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Presuming the PDF is correct, then it's about €43k on the road incl. metallic paint? Seems reasonable enough for the form factor and the 77kWh battery

How does the spec and WLTP range compare to a €40k eNiro, and I presume they are similar size? Can it actually seat 3 average size adults / teenagers in the back? The ID.3 can not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

unkel wrote: »
    Presuming the PDF is correct, then it's about €43k on the road incl. metallic paint? Seems reasonable enough for the form factor and the 77kWh battery

How does the spec and WLTP range compare to a €40k eNiro, and I presume they are similar size? Can it actually seat 3 average size adults / teenagers in the back (the ID.3 can not)

I think the ID.4 is a good bit bigger than the e-Niro. The ID.3 is roughly the same as the e-Niro.

Advertisement