Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm thinking of getting some sort of sun canopy I can rig onto the side of an ID.4 for camping. I'd be looking for something fairly budget friendly, not one of the big heavy roll away awnings that campervans have.

The car is only 1.6m tall, so there doesn't seem to be much logic in spending big money on an awning that I can't stand under, but something simple to sit under seems ideal

Looking around it seems a lot of them are designed to work with specific rail systems (c channel rails) which only seem to be fitted to cars with proper roof rails, not the integrated rails the ID.4 has

Does anyone know of any awnings that would work with the ID.4?

The alternative I can find is to put roof bars on and attach the canopy to that, but that seems like a lot of money & effort for something that won't be used a whole lot. It's also wreck the aerodynamics, which isn't ideal in an EV

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm thinking of getting some sort of sun canopy I can rig onto the side of an ID.4 for camping. I'd be looking for something fairly budget friendly, not one of the big heavy roll away awnings that campervans have.

The car is only 1.6m tall, so there doesn't seem to be much logic in spending big money on an awning that I can't stand under, but something simple to sit under seems ideal

Looking around it seems a lot of them are designed to work with specific rail systems (c channel rails) which only seem to be fitted to cars with proper roof rails, not the integrated rails the ID.4 has

Does anyone know of any awnings that would work with the ID.4?

The alternative I can find is to put roof bars on and attach the canopy to that, but that seems like a lot of money & effort for something that won't be used a whole lot. It's also wreck the aerodynamics, which isn't ideal in an EV

Light tarpaulin, 2 fibreglass tent poles, 2 guy lines and 2 suckers for the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

v10 wrote: »
    I'm currently considering the ID4 and spoke to a not so helpful salesperson in my local VW dealership today.

He wasn't really interested in talking to me and instead just handed me the brochore and told me it was all in there.

Anyway, €42,248 price for the ID.4 1st seems reasonable enough in my opinion but am I missing something or are the extras included on the €55,580 ID.4 1st Max not worth an extra €13000+ ? I'm assuming the ID.4 1st will be the more popular and the Max will likely lose its extra value very soon after new .. thoughts ?

Also considering the Skoda Enyaq, but it can be as expensive (and more) than the ID.4 1st Max after some options are added.

I think I prefer the look of the Skoda but the downside is it could be 4 - 6 months longer a wait for it.

I had the exact same questions and was treated exactly the same way in my local VW branch. Went there just before Xmas. Booked an appointment at 10am but was told everyone’s busy and we didn’t get seen until 11.15. The salesperson simply tried to rush us to buy it without trying to explain and meaningful feature of the car, and there wasn’t even a ID4 car in the branch for test drive.

We were told that the only test drive we could get is in an ID3 for 15 minutes, and they are so keen on us paying the deposit all the way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sam W wrote: »
    I had the exact same questions and was treated exactly the same way in my local VW branch. Went there just before Xmas. Booked an appointment at 10am but was told everyone’s busy and we didn’t get seen until 11.15. The salesperson simply tried to rush us to buy it without trying to explain and meaningful feature of the car, and there wasn’t even a ID4 car in the branch for test drive.

We were told that the only test drive we could get is in an ID3 for 15 minutes, and they are so keen on us paying the deposit all the way around.

Of course there was no ID4 in the showroom. They still haven't been built in RHD for the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

We are talking late March or April before we see an ID4 in Ireland. So much for late January or Early February promise and no reason for the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

You did better than me so, at least your salesperson wanted you to buy one, mine just wanted me to leave. I wasn't expecting a test drive to be fair, I knew there wasn't any, he said they were expecting demo models in February.
    Sam W wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Summer8181 wrote: »
    no reason for the delay.

Well apart from Covid and Germany going into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Summer8181 wrote: »
    We are talking late March or April before we see an ID4 in Ireland. So much for late January or Early February promise and no reason for the delay.

The reason for the delay is all production going to the US. There won't even be a showroom car in Ireland before March, according to my dealer.

The upside is that they'll probably come with the 2.1 software. :)

Light tarpaulin, 2 fibreglass tent poles, 2 guy lines and 2 suckers for the roof?

Yeah I'm thinking I might have to resort to that, or maybe just get a pop up gazebo instead, might be simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

I see online that some customers in the US got their ID4 delivery date this week. It is probably true that the US is gobbling up Europe's quota.

Holland seems to be ahead of the curve. If it comes with a more steady and reliable software, well then an extra 10-12 week will be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi guys. What way does everybody think the ID4 Series cars will measure up against the ID4 1st. If any of you are familiar with what happened with the ID3, the ID3 1st ended up being excellent value when compared to the Series options.

Will they offer the smaller battery or just do equipment variants of the 77kW one? Somebody mentioned the VAT increasing, how much is that worth to the 1st edition?

I've been looking at buying an EV for about two years now and there is always something else coming down the line that might suit better in a balance between price and suitability. For instance, I don't need anything like the range of the 77kW battery. Even the 54kW or whatever it is in the ID3 is more than enough, I could comfortably use the smallest battery (33kW, I think). However, I think the ID4 looks great and it could be another 12 months before it's available with a smaller battery, or maybe that won't ever happen! I've also read that the smaller battery option will have a smaller motor, which would make it less fun to drive.

Then the Skoda Enyaq looked very promising but they seem to have gotten their pricing wrong (very close to ID4 1st money when you add some basic enough options).

I could probably go and buy a top spec petrol for a lot less but I want to be driving an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Of course there was no ID4 in the showroom. They still haven't been built in RHD for the Irish market.

Which is one more unpleasant factor that they mentioned nothing about no cars in stock when we booked the test drive appointment, and they tried so hard to convince me that I should pay deposit right away...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sergijaws

My VW dealer said last week that VW would honor the invoice price listed when I paid the deposit in Nov even if VAT goes back up to 23% at the end of Feb. Was anyone else told the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sergijaws wrote: »
    My VW dealer said last week that VW would honor the invoice price listed when I paid the deposit in Nov even if VAT goes back up to 23% at the end of Feb. Was anyone else told the same?

Yeah that’s true for existing orders only.

I never believe 23% VAT is a good thing, if it was 10% a lot more People would buy a lot more things, the same with income tax if they abolished the USC and introduced a 3rd tax band and bring the middle band to 30% and not 50 odd People would have a lot more money to buy things and spend it in the economy that have it forcibly taken with the Government then free to squander it without any accountability, shocking really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Anyone tempted to switch to Ioniq 5? Mightn't only be 6 months difference in delivery time. Very happy with our Ioniq and curious if range might end up being similar to id4 given Hyundai efficiency

Anyone tempted to switch to Ioniq 5? Mightn't only be 6 months difference in delivery time. Very happy with our Ioniq and curious if range might end up being similar to id4 given Hyundai efficiency

I am tempted, but I've my heart set on the ID.4 so I'm going to stick with it

I also suspect that Ioniq 5's are going to be like gold dust this year and probably next year too, given how the E-Niro is looking

My current plan is to persuade the missus to get one in a couple of years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Some lu-la in work was saying he saw an ID4 charging outside Marley Park with 211 plates?
    Are there any over there yet or was it mistaken identity?

jusmeig wrote: »
    Some lu-la in work was saying he saw an ID4 charging outside Marley Park with 211 plates?

Might have been an ID.3? There's unlikely to be any ID.4s in Ireland before February/March

Definitely none around and won’t be. They aren’t even built.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    Definitely none around and won’t be. They aren’t even built.

That's what I said, but he said it had an ID4 badge and a Frank Keane sticker.
    Maybe it was a LHD display model....or he got it wrong...

That's what I said, but he said it had an ID4 badge and a Frank Keane sticker.
    Maybe it was a LHD display model....or he got it wrong...

Was it a Tiguan? :D

Maybe they had one of the press cars here, if we see Irish reviews in the next while then we'll know.

It'd be nice if they brought one of the LHD ones here to show off, although in the current situation getting a bunch of people together to see a car might not be the best plan

There definitely isn’t one around. End the speculation lol.

L-M wrote: »
    There definitely isn’t one around. End the speculation lol.

You seem very sure, are you the head of VW Ireland? Have you some insider knowledge? I have to tell the chap I work with that he did not see an ID4 badge...he might be worried the lockdown has driven him mad.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You seem very sure, are you the head of VW Ireland? Have you some insider knowledge? I have to tell the chap I work with that he did not see an ID4 badge...he might be worried the lockdown has driven him mad.

Think he works for vw alright.

Think he works for vw alright.
    That's what I thought! :D

I also had my suspicions about the reliability of my witness, who once thought a Model X was a Model 3...

Just checking around and I can't see if the Irish 1st edition had a heat pump. Anyone know?

Just checking around and I can't see if the Irish 1st edition had a heat pump. Anyone know?

I asked the dealer, not included and not available as an option I'm afraid

That's what I thought! :D

I also had my suspicions about the reliability of my witness, who once thought a Model X was a Model 3...

You should get him a specsavers voucher for an eye test :D

• Advertisement

I asked the dealer, not included and not available as an option I'm afraid

It's not too important to be honest but would be a nice extra to have. I had seen this and thought maybe it would have the heart pump:

https://www.joeduffy.ie/volkswagen/news-events/the-new-id4/

Advertisement