Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There won’t be an Id.4 in the country until the end of March unfortunately. Sorry to be blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

L-M wrote: »
    There won’t be an Id.4 in the country until the end of March unfortunately. Sorry to be blunt.

That noise you just heard was me screaming

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Sorry, it’s understandably frustrating.

Looks like some dude in Germany (I assume) got his ID.4 already

B@stard

:D

Sorry, it’s understandably frustrating.

No worries, pretty understandable given the situation in Germany

Delays for the moment suit me as it's more time to reinforce the savings. Hopefully it won't go on beyond March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭shanec1928

And the vat is back to 23% then too.

They’re standing over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Yea, just got told that too by the VW dealership in Drogheda. Wont even have a floor model until March apparently.

So, thats a right kick in the nuts, because if its March to get one here, you're probably looking at June/July to get one once its ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Yea, just got told that too by the VW dealership in Drogheda. Wont even have a floor model until March apparently.

So, thats a right kick in the nuts, because if its March to get one here, you're probably looking at June/July to get one once its ordered.

I think most dealers will have stock, from what I understand dealers have a tiny margin on the car but don't have to buy them off VW before settling. There's a dealer out in mayo who might be worth a call,. He was saying they have a good few coming in with their floor model.

Ah no there’s a big production slot on them I’d imagine an awful lot should turn up at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Why is the ID 4 delayed?

Are there technical issues?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ah no there’s a big production slot on them I’d imagine an awful lot should turn up at the same time.

Will it be similar to the ID.3 launch, boat load of orders covering dealer stock and first customers arriving very close together?

liamog wrote: »
    Will it be similar to the ID.3 launch, boat load of orders covering dealer stock and first customers arriving very close together?

I honestly don’t know for sure but I would assume so.

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Why is the ID 4 delayed?

Are there technical issues?

Covid issues, Germany is on lockdown so that's affecting production

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭sk8board

Looks like some dude in Germany (I assume) got his ID.4 already

B@stard

:D

first person with the new ID4, but then falls into the infrastructure trap with everyone else - queuing for a charger for ages and then giving apparently “5” attempts to get it working even though the car before him was using it without issue.

There’s a certain amount of patience with the infrastructure from early adopters, that the mass market will simply not entertain.

In Ireland it won’t matter as we’re a small island and a disproportionate amount of car owners can charge at home.

OT, I love the ID4 (or ID3) as a replacement for our pcp Golf in 2 years time, due to better rear seat space

Do they make all the RHD cars in a group or do them individually? I assume they group them as that's probably easier for the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭sk8board

Do they make all the RHD cars in a group or do them individually? I assume they group them as that's probably easier for the factory

They usually do a change around and then a full run of only RHD, like Tesla do I believe, or if the plant is big enough they’ll have a RHD line.
    There’s very little change for the Just in Time parts bar the dash etc, and swapping things like the headlight settings/heights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

I'm currently considering the ID4 and spoke to a not so helpful salesperson in my local VW dealership today.

He wasn't really interested in talking to me and instead just handed me the brochore and told me it was all in there.

Anyway, €42,248 price for the ID.4 1st seems reasonable enough in my opinion but am I missing something or are the extras included on the €55,580 ID.4 1st Max not worth an extra €13000+ ? I'm assuming the ID.4 1st will be the more popular and the Max will likely lose its extra value very soon after new .. thoughts ?

Also considering the Skoda Enyaq, but it can be as expensive (and more) than the ID.4 1st Max after some options are added.

I think I prefer the look of the Skoda but the downside is it could be 4 - 6 months longer a wait for it.

v10 wrote: »
    I'm currently considering the ID4 and spoke to a not so helpful salesperson in my local VW dealership today.

He wasn't really interested in talking to me and instead just handed me the brochore and told me it was all in there.

Anyway, €42,248 price for the ID.4 1st seems reasonable enough in my opinion but am I missing something or are the extras included on the €55,580 ID.4 1st Max not worth an extra €13000+ ? I'm assuming the ID.4 1st will be the more popular and the Max will likely lose its extra value very soon after new .. thoughts ?

Also considering the Skoda Enyaq, but it can be as expensive (and more) than the ID.4 1st Max after some options are added.

I think I prefer the look of the Skoda but the downside is it could be 4 - 6 months longer a wait for it.

Yeah the sales staff can be pretty woeful, the margin on EVs isn't as good so they're not incentivised to sell them

The big differences between the 1st and 1st Max would be the following

- Travel assist, basically VWs autopilot, does lane following as well as stop and start in traffic
    - Matrix headlights, look cool, and they also blank out segments of the full beams for other cars, so you don't need to switch to dips and lose visibility on dark roads
    - AR Hud, feel like a fighter pilot
    - Panoramic sunroof, it does give a great feeling of space and light
    - Massage seats in front
    - 21 inch alloys, they do look pretty cool to be fair

I went for the Max because I really want the travel assist and am planning on doing a lot of road trips (although that might be premature given the current lockdown)

Financially however, the 1st probably does represent better value for money, especially if you only occasionally go on long journeys

• Advertisement

Yeah the sales staff can be pretty woeful, the margin on EVs isn't as good so they're not incentivised to sell them

The big differences between the 1st and 1st Max would be the following

- Travel assist, basically VWs autopilot, does lane following as well as stop and start in traffic
    - Matrix headlights, look cool, and they also blank out segments of the full beams for other cars, so you don't need to switch to dips and lose visibility on dark roads
    - AR Hud, feel like a fighter pilot
    - Panoramic sunroof, it does give a great feeling of space and light
    - Massage seats in front
    - 21 inch alloys, they do look pretty cool to be fair

I went for the Max because I really want the travel assist and am planning on doing a lot of road trips (although that might be premature given the current lockdown)

Financially however, the 1st probably does represent better value for money, especially if you only occasionally go on long journeys

Thanks for your response, It's not that I wouldn't like those extra features I just think the pricing is not right, they're not worth the extra €13K being asked for them. Travel assist is a handy feature, I have the equivalent on my own car and use it all the time. The ID4 is for my wife however and given that she doesn't even use standard cruise control on her current car, can't imagine she'd benefit.

When did you order ? have you been given an estimated delivery date ?

I ordered back in September when it became available, haven't got a date yet, dealership is saying February but it's sounding like it'll be more like March

Delays are down to covid, so the lead time might be shorter if you order one now

I ordered back in September when it became available, haven't got a date yet, dealership is saying February but it's sounding like it'll be more like March

Delays are down to covid, so the lead time might be shorter if you order one now

Great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Thanks for your response, It's not that I wouldn't like those extra features I just think the pricing is not right, they're not worth the extra €13K being asked for them. Travel assist is a handy feature, I have the equivalent on my own car and use it all the time. The ID4 is for my wife however and given that she doesn't even use standard cruise control on her current car, can't imagine she'd benefit.

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Travel Assist on the ID4 1st Max VS Adaptive cruise control ACC stop/go & Lane keeping system ‘Lane Assist’ & Front Assist on the ID4 1st??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Matt406 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Travel Assist on the ID4 1st Max VS Adaptive cruise control ACC stop/go & Lane keeping system ‘Lane Assist’ & Front Assist on the ID4 1st??

Not a whole pile in the difference. It adds lane-following and blind-spot detection I think.

ACC and LKAS, which you get by default, give you the majority of what you need for motorway driving but travel assist makes the car better at staying between the lines... LKAS will bounce between the lines if you dont hold the steering.... travel assist should keep the car in the centre.

KCross wrote: »
    Not a whole pile in the difference. It adds lane-following and blind-spot detection I think.

ACC and LKAS, which you get by default, give you the majority of what you need for motorway driving but travel assist makes the car better at staying between the lines... LKAS will bounce between the lines if you dont hold the steering.... travel assist should keep the car in the centre.

Yeah LKAS is kind of a last resort to stop you crashing

As you mentioned Travel assist has lane following, so it should do a better job at staying within the lines, although I wouldn't entirely trust it on the back roads in Mayo. I'm fairly sure it was mentioned that it can do overtaking on dual carriageways as well, although I don't see that anywhere in the ID.3 manual

Front assist is basically autonomous emergency braking. If the car thinks it's about to hit something it'll brake automatically to try to avoid a crash

Side assist is the blind spot detection you mentioned, it'll light a signal on the mirrors if there's a car in your blind spot, or if there's a car approaching at speed. I think it'll sound a warning if you try to pull in front of a car in your blind spot but I'm not sure it'll intervene and stop you

There's also park assist which among other things will stop the car before it bumps into anything. So if anyone in your household likes to engage in tactile parking then this is a must have :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I wonder how the LKAS compares to the Ioniq LKAS. I've heard people say the Ioniqs is better than most others. I've only ever experience my Ioniqs LKAS (quite impressed with it to be honest) and my mother in laws Toyota C-HR LKAS which is pretty garbage (3 years younger than my car too)

I wonder how the LKAS compares to the Ioniq LKAS. I've heard people say the Ioniqs is better than most others. I've only ever experience my Ioniqs LKAS (quite impressed with it to be honest) and my mother in laws Toyota C-HR LKAS which is pretty garbage (3 years younger than my car too)

I've heard a few people say the LKAS on the ID.3 is sh!t compared to others including the Ioniq. I think the Ioniq LKAS was kind of lane following in disguise whereas the ID.3 system is very much just trying to stop you crashing

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

KCross wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback folks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I've heard a few people say the LKAS on the ID.3 is sh!t compared to others including the Ioniq. I think the Ioniq LKAS was kind of lane following in disguise whereas the ID.3 system is very much just trying to stop you crashing

Sure is lane following. It's great. I can't say I rely on it, but I notice it when i'm in a different car. Certainly the C-HR LKAS isn't to be relied on. It cuts in after you get nervous about crossing the line. Ioniq cuts in seemlessly.

Advertisement