Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

jp101 wrote: »
    A quick couple of questions if anyone can help as I am looking to order one of these.
    Are there any options or extras available to order with the 1st edition it doesn’t appear there is?
    VW offer what appear to be a fairly expensive home charger. Is there any value in getting one from them so that if there are any problems with home charging there isn’t any issues along the lines of “it’s the charger that’s the problem” “ no it’s the car”.

No options with the 1st Edition (or 1st Max). Only real choice is the colour

There's the option of a towbar, but I think that's an after sales part, so it won't come fitted. I've enquired how much it is and will post when I get more info

Any EV charger with a Type 2 plug will work, the charging protocol is standard so there shouldn't be any issues charging the car. Home chargers basically come in 2 types, tethered (cable built in) or untethered (bring your own cable)

There's different options of charging power, but yo make it simple, get a 7kW (32 Amp) one. Unlike the ID.3, the ID.4, comes with a 32Amp cable, so you'll have no problems using a 7kW untethered charger, if that's what you go for.

After that, it's largely down to price and aesthetics. If you have some heavy electricity users in your house like a power shower, then you'll need to look at one that can support a load balancer. There's lot of info on the home chargepoint purchase forum if you want to read more

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

I’m considering an ID4 in 2021 and was wondering what are people’s thoughts on the value that the 1st editions offer, against the post 1st edition range? Obviously, we don’t know exactly what the post 1st edition ID4 model line up is going to look like. However, looking at the ID3 1st edition vs the ID3 model range now available might give an idea of what to expect. It is hard to compare them – but looking at the ID3 1st edition vs the ID3 model line up available now, I’m not seeing that the ID3 1st editions were significantly better value than the model line up as it now stands!!

I’m wondering if the same will be true for the ID4 range!
    What do people think? Thanks.

Matt406 wrote: »
    I’m considering an ID4 in 2021 and was wondering what are people’s thoughts on the value that the 1st editions offer, against the post 1st edition range? Obviously, we don’t know exactly what the post 1st edition ID4 model line up is going to look like. However, looking at the ID3 1st edition vs the ID3 model range now available might give an idea of what to expect. It is hard to compare them – but looking at the ID3 1st edition vs the ID3 model line up available now, I’m not seeing that the ID3 1st editions were significantly better value than the model line up as it now stands!!

I’m wondering if the same will be true for the ID4 range!
    What do people think? Thanks.

It's hard to know for sure, I'm guessing they'll take a similar approach with the series edition as they did with the ID.3, they'll have a bunch of fixed trim options a few months after the 1st edition finishes up.

I would say the ID.4 1st seems closer to the ID.3 1st Plus in terms of spec, so there might be a more basic model coming for a lower price. They just released a basic ID.3 in Germany for example

There's also the smaller battery version with a 52kWh capacity coming at some point. Might be worth looking at if range isn't a big concern

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's hard to know for sure, I'm guessing they'll take a similar approach with the series edition as they did with the ID.3, they'll have a bunch of fixed trim options a few months after the 1st edition finishes up.

I would say the ID.4 1st seems closer to the ID.3 1st Plus in terms of spec, so there might be a more basic model coming for a lower price. They just released a basic ID.3 in Germany for example

There's also the smaller battery version with a 52kWh capacity coming at some point. Might be worth looking at if range isn't a big concern

Unless they follow how Skoda dropped the base enyaq

Unless they follow how Skoda dropped the base enyaq

Doubt it, the base Enyaq had something like 45kWh, not much for something that size, they probably realised it wouldn't sell much

I saw somewhere that there's a bigger 95kWh battery version of the ID.4 planned at some stage. Reckon it's just something off the rumour mill, I think they'd need a longer chassis to fit the extra batteries

• Advertisement

Looks like VW are ripping off the summon feature from Tesla

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34677297/2022-vw-id4-driver-free-remote-parking-app/

It's a bit of a gimmick but it can be handy if someone blocks you into a space

Coming in 2022 it looks like, I wonder will a software update add it to the 2021 version (I'm hoping it will)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

It's a bit of a gimmick but it can be handy if someone blocks you into a space

I've used it for that scenario exactly once. All the other times, I would have been quicker pushing my car out of the space single-handed than waiting for summon to stop getting it's knickers in a twist.

markpb wrote: »
    I've used it for that scenario exactly once. All the other times, I would have been quicker pushing my car out of the space single-handed than waiting for summon to stop getting it's knickers in a twist.

Yeah I can imagine everyone else's delight when I spend 5 mins summoning my ID.4 out of a space, then another 5 mins parked in the middle of the lane loading the kids and myself into the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Hey all, currently drive an Ioniq 2017 but looking to move to something a bit more spacious now we have 2 kids. Normal commute is fairly short and extremely short these days as we work from home. But we'd normally travel to Kerry once a month and do summer holidays in France (hoping we can again in the future). The ID4 looks like a nice car so might be an option.

I've a few questions if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them:
    1. Are dealers negotiating in price or is it RRP or nothing?
    2. Are there service/tyres or anything included in the PCP?
    3. Is there a mileage limit?
    4. Any specific dealers worth contacting that are good with EVs?
    5. Is there an app/preheating/timed charging, etc?
    6. Is there anything missing from the id that the Ioniq has? (adaptive cruise control, LKAS, etc)

The 1st seems like a pretty good price in terms of brand quality, equipment and range compared to a lot of what's out there.

Hey all, currently drive an Ioniq 2017 but looking to move to something a bit more spacious now we have 2 kids. Normal commute is fairly short and extremely short these days as we work from home. But we'd normally travel to Kerry once a month and do summer holidays in France (hoping we can again in the future). The ID4 looks like a nice car so might be an option.

I've a few questions if anyone has opinions I'd love to hear them:
    1. Are dealers negotiating in price or is it RRP or nothing?
    2. Are there service/tyres or anything included in the PCP?
    3. Is there a mileage limit?
    4. Any specific dealers worth contacting that are good with EVs?
    5. Is there an app/preheating/timed charging, etc?
    6. Is there anything missing from the id that the Ioniq has? (adaptive cruise control, LKAS, etc)

The 1st seems like a pretty good price in terms of brand quality, equipment and range compared to a lot of what's out there.

Here's answers based on my experience

1. Are dealers negotiating in price or is it RRP or nothing? I certainly didn't negotiate any discount, but I'm not exactly a champion haggler. It's up to you but I'm getting the feeling that demand is high so there might not be much room for negotiation

2. Are there service/tyres or anything included in the PCP? No

3. Is there a mileage limit? 20,000km per year or 60,000km over the 3 years

4. Any specific dealers worth contacting that are good with EVs? Personally I'd go with whoever is closest. I dealt with Joe Duffy Airside. There's one guy there who's an EV driver himself and is very good. Can PM you details if you want?

5. Is there an app/preheating/timed charging, etc? I believe there is, although check over on the ID.3 forum to see how well it works

6. Is there anything missing from the id that the Ioniq has? (adaptive cruise control, LKAS, etc). The base 1st has adaptive cruise control, LKAS, emergency braking and parking assistant. The 1st Max has travel assist which adds lane following and also blind spot monitoring

Judging from the reviews, space will certainly be no issue. I've two young kids myself (4 and 1) so will definitely be happier with something bigger.

It doesn't have a heat pump, which I think the Ioniq does, so you might suffer more of a range penalty in winter. However you've a bigger battery and 125kW DC charging, so if there's a HPC in your route then it's probably not too much of an impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,800 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Here's answers based on my experience

2. Are there service/tyres or anything included in the PCP? No

you have to buy the service pack i think, at least with audi and skoda you do?

Cyrus wrote: »
    you have to buy the service pack i think, at least with audi and skoda you do?

Well you don't HAVE to, but you can if you want. The ID.3 first buyers got a free service pack and change of tyres included with the car. I don't think the ID.4 has anything similar

The service packs always seemed like a waste of time to me, especially when you consider the service on the ID series should be 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,800 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well you don't HAVE to, but you can if you want. The ID.3 first buyers got a free service pack and change of tyres included with the car. I don't think the ID.4 has anything similar

The service packs always seemed like a waste of time to me, especially when you consider the service on the ID series should be 2 years

Ok it’s non optional on the other two vag evs mentioned ( etron and the enyaq )

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

3. Is there a mileage limit? 20,000km per year or 60,000km over the 3 years

Mileage limit?

Decoda wrote: »
    Mileage limit?

For a PCP, the equity in the car is based on the car being driven less than the limit above. Going over will result in less equity being available

20k km a year seems on the low end but otherwise it looks like it could be a runner. It's a pity you've to buy sight unseen, even if it's almost the same as an id3 it would be good to see it in person before deciding so I might wait.

Was considering an MG5 either but a bit worried about quality and reliability with that compared to the VW which seems pretty premium.

20k km a year seems on the low end but otherwise it looks like it could be a runner. It's a pity you've to buy sight unseen, even if it's almost the same as an id3 it would be good to see it in person before deciding so I might wait.

Was considering an MG5 either but a bit worried about quality and reliability with that compared to the VW which seems pretty premium.

First deliveries should be in January, so you won't have long to wait at least :)

First deliveries should be in January, so you won't have long to wait at least :)

Do you think it'll still be possible to order a first edition at that stage? Price seems competitive especially with the temporary vat rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭sk8board

Slightly OT - Our 201 golf pcp has a 20k pa mileage limit. we put 4,400km on the car before early March lockdown, mostly daily commute - and it turned over 7,000 yesterday - just 2,600km in almost 9 months! It doesn’t look like it’ll be commuting much next year either.

I think there’ll be plenty demand for 201 cars when they’re 3 years old - not many sold and they’ll hardly have been driven!

Back OT - we’ve only got the ID3 or ID4 in mind when we come out of the pcp in two years time. Let’s see what else comes along in the meanwhile.
    We’ll probably change to a one-car family too. I’ve a 4 series.

sk8board wrote: »
    Slightly OT - Our 201 golf pcp has a 20k pa mileage limit. we put 4,400km on the car before early March lockdown, mostly daily commute - and it turned over 7,000 yesterday - just 2,600km in almost 9 months! It doesn’t look like it’ll be commuting much next year either.

I think there’ll be plenty demand for 201 cars when they’re 3 years old - not many sold and they’ll hardly have been driven!

Back OT - we’ve only got the ID3 or ID4 in mind when we come out of the pcp in two years time. Let’s see what else comes along in the meanwhile.

We're half thinking it could be interesting to look at the buzz in a few years time so PCP timing might work out in our favour. VW seem like a safe bet in terms of having options at the end of 3 years.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »

Yeah I've probably put less than 1000km on my Leaf since March, and I asked my wife when the last time she put petrol in her Citreon was and she couldn't remember.

Certainly hitting the mileage limit might be a struggle with so many working from home, we'll see how 2021 goes if lockdowns are ended. Hopefully it means the car will hold it's value well at the end of the PCP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We're half thinking it could be interesting to look at the buzz in a few years time so PCP timing might work out in our favour. VW seem like a safe bet in terms of having options at the end of 3 years.

The private car market was the same this year as it was last year

L-M wrote: »

How do you mean?

L-M wrote: »

Overall sales might similar, and EV sales were up significantly. But usage is down considerably, so the mileage of cars bought new in 2020 won't be as high as the end of the PCP

I'm wandering OT, but I wonder how that'll affect value? Normally lower mileage vehicles retain more value, but if there's a lot of lower mileage vehicles then there is more supply for the same demand, which would lower prices

Cyrus wrote: »
    Ok it’s non optional on the other two vag evs mentioned ( etron and the enyaq )

Is it included in the price, or is it a non optional extra?

I'd hope with the amount Audi are charging they'd include the service pack

Looks like the ID.4 got rated at 250 miles (400km) on the EPA cycle, with average consumption of 216Wh/km

https://www.electrive.com/2020/11/25/epa-confirms-vws-given-range-for-the-id-4/

It's far behind the Model Y (300+ miles), but still pretty good for a chunky SUV, and I'll wager it'll cover 90% of the needs of Irish drivers

For those who've ordered from VW what sort of trade in are you getting?

We've been told 13k for a 172 Ioniq with 60k on the clock and leather seats. The car is generally in good condition so the price seems very low, anyone experienced the same?

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

We've been told 13k for a 172 Ioniq with 60k on the clock and leather seats. The car is generally in good condition so the price seems very low, anyone experienced the same?

Brutal. Sell it yourself. 17k easy.

I've a 161 Leaf24 with 12/12 battery bars. Got offered €8.5k in trade in if I'd given them the car in September, but it goes down to €7k if I waited until January. The issue with the Leaf is that a lot of people are trading them in at the moment, so the trade in value is going down. There might be a similar issue with the Ioniq

You'll always get a better deal selling privately I reckon, could get a few thousand extra for your car for a couple hours of hassle. Having said that, it'll be my first experience selling privately next January, so I might have a different viewpoint by then :)

• Advertisement

Brutal. Sell it yourself. 17k easy.

Ya, 13k seems very low. The cheapest a dealer has for a 171 is 18k and it has 90k on the clock and no leather seats.

Might see about selling privately but timing is a bit tricky!

Advertisement