Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Do you have the "charge immediately" percentage set? I think it defaults to 50%

My understanding is if you're below that level it'll charge before the allowed time

0%. My best guess is it's trying to have the car charged to 80% by the time of my first departure. I've set multiple departures throughout the night to try fool it into charging during the night. 4am is my first departure time and I've 60% of battery to add to get to 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Liam2021 wrote: »
    New life version on an Irish car site. Seats are a lot darker and comes with brown dash but looks very well.

Going by the picture online it looks really well. Gives the dash that little bit extra and breaks up the dark dash niceky. Frank Hogan's have a picture up on Carzone and it looks very nice. It's a stock photo, not one taken by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Jofspring wrote: »
    Going by the picture online it looks really well. Gives the dash that little bit extra and breaks up the dark dash niceky. Frank Hogan's have a picture up on Carzone and it looks very nice. It's a stock photo, not one taken by them.

A lot of people don't like brown and it's a colour that dates very quickly. One way or the other a lack of choice is very poor from VW for a car of that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

My 1st Max arrived with the dealer yesterday... all going well with PDI, Registration etc. should have it on Friday afternoon... finally an end in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’ve been seeing more 4s around than I ever saw 3s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

they're more noticeable, i find. The id3 is so like a golf, they can be hard to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

they're more noticeable, i find. The id3 is so like a golf, they can be hard to spot.

Agreed, the iD3 is a sneaky little fella if you don’t catch the side ‘decal’ you wouldn’t know what it was. That decal though, I wonder what it looks like
    In two years after some weathering and brush washes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I've seen a few Golfs which I thought were ID.3s at first. I'll admit I'm biased but I prefer the looks of the ID.3, the new Golf looks a bit like they threw something together in 5 mins

So far I've seen at least 4 ID.4s around, one of which is definitely a dealership car

Saw a yellow one yesterday, it actually looks great in person, kind of wishing I'd been brave enough to go for it now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

HI,

Trying to get scheduled charging working on a friends ID4 to make use of night rate.

Setup a charging profile called home.
    Set min charge to 30% and max charge to 80%
    Set preferred charge times midnight to 9am
    Car was at 21% when plugged in yesterday and charging started.

I expected it to charge to (min)30% immediately and then complete to (max)80 during night rate. This morning it was at 24%...

Is scheduled charging working ? Do my settings look correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭crassusg

Here is a vid of the family edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16CnhkiW3U nice to see the play and pause pedals made it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

crassusg wrote: »
    Here is a vid of the family edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16CnhkiW3U nice to see the play and pause pedals made it :)

And the brown dash doesn’t look too bad in the video. Thanks for sharing

kop-end wrote: »
    And the brown dash doesn’t look too bad in the video. Thanks for sharing

Another vid (its in german) looks like maybe a max with the top trim seats
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4Pln4e4I4

Always thought they were a "1st only" thing. Same with the ID logo embossed in the front seats.

Family looks like a nice spec, but other than matrix lights and the pano roof (there's other smaller differences too but those are the 2 big ones), it seems like the 1st edition... which was €8k cheaper

WattsUp wrote: »
    HI,

Trying to get scheduled charging working on a friends ID4 to make use of night rate.

Setup a charging profile called home.
    Set min charge to 30% and max charge to 80%
    Set preferred charge times midnight to 9am
    Car was at 21% when plugged in yesterday and charging started.

I expected it to charge to (min)30% immediately and then complete to (max)80 during night rate. This morning it was at 24%...

Is scheduled charging working ? Do my settings look correct ?

Scheduled charging is not working for anyone. It's a bug which the car has shamefully been released with. There's pretty much nothing you can do about it to get it to work correctly. Best advice I can give is to set a couple of departure times during the night, and plug the car in just before going to bed.
    Complain to your dealer so VW get more and more pressure to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Scheduled charging is not working for anyone. It's a bug which the car has shamefully been released with. There's pretty much nothing you can do about it to get it to work correctly. Best advice I can give is to set a couple of departure times during the night, and plug the car in just before going to bed.
    Complain to your dealer so VW get more and more pressure to fix it.

That really is shameful

Anyone bother with either Scratch Gard or Life shine with the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

It's crap, the solution I use is to set the timed charging on the Zappi and forget about the car scheduled charging altogether.

Should work with any smart charger if you have one.

Given that the ID.3 was released in September 2020 it's hard to understand why nothing has been done about it by VW 8 months later. There are some rumours that it will be updated in the first OTA release whenever that arrives, but remains to be seen.

cannco253 wrote: »
    It's crap, the solution I use is to set the timed charging on the Zappi and forget about the car scheduled charging altogether.

Should work with any smart charger if you have one.

Given that the ID.3 was released in September 2020 it's hard to understand why nothing has been done about it by VW 8 months later. There are some rumours that it will be updated in the first OTA release whenever that arrives, but remains to be seen.

Unless those rumours are from engineers in VW, i'd pay no attention to them. It should be fixed in the first OTA update, but that's not to say it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Scheduled charging is not working for anyone.

Seriously, on all ID.4? Not even with the latest software update? So how do you charge it then for the vast majority of owners who do not have a smart charge point, I guess walk out to the car after midnight and then plug it in?

Scheduled charging has been a feature of all EVs I've ever heard of. Even back in the very early days of the Leaf (over 10 years ago). It is the first thing that should work in any EV software, how did VW not get this? :confused:

unkel wrote: »
    Seriously, on all ID.4? Not even with the latest software update? So how do you charge it then for the vast majority of owners who do not have a smart charge point, I guess walk out to the car after midnight and then plug it in?

Scheduled charging has been a feature of all EVs I've ever heard of. Even back in the very early days of the Leaf (over 10 years ago). It is the first thing that should work in any EV software, how did VW not get this? :confused:

Same way every bit of software gets messed up, someone was trying to be clever and overcomplicated it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Plug it in before you go inside and turn off the charge on the app. Start the charge then when you're heading to bed with the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Unless those rumours are from engineers in VW, i'd pay no attention to them. It should be fixed in the first OTA update, but that's not to say it will.

In truth, it should have been fixed as soon as it was reported to them last year. They blamed the problem on everyone but themselves (including blaming internet chatter where owners were reporting it) and even denied that the problem existed at all. Then they said it was only certain smart charge points that were causing the problem.

Now I think they've finally accepted that there is a problem with the software.

I'm still waiting for a datalogger to capture the problem as it happens. It left Germany over a month ago. I think they attached it to the shell of a snail, which was then eaten as it traversed across France. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has anybody received their ID 4 with the 21” alloys?
    I added them as an extra and I’m just wondering how’s the ride on them?

gear_ie wrote: »
    Anyone bother with either Scratch Gard or Life shine with the new car?

I got the lifeshine when we got the tiguan originally i wouldn't be paying for that now given the choice. Its a load of autoglm products in a nice vw case. If you gonna commit to handwashing the car prob better off spending the money on a ceramic coat if you want to keep the paint primo IMO.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Has anybody received their ID 4 with the 21” alloys?
    I added them as an extra and I’m just wondering how’s the ride on them?

Well, I should hopefully have an answer later today :D

Well, I should hopefully have an answer later today :D

and me tomorrow :D

I got the lifeshine when we got the tiguan originally i wouldn't be paying for that now given the choice. Its a load of autoglm products in a nice vw case. If you gonna commit to handwashing the car prob better off spending the money on a ceramic coat if you want to keep the paint primo IMO.

I will look into a ceramic coat instead... thanks crassusg..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

I had a 2015 Golf GTE and this exact feature worked seamlessly from the car or even the app. Can't believe something that simple isn't working on ID4

All ID.4 and ID.3 afaik, regardless of software version.

It really seems like the software is trying to be too clever, alongside a bit of overengineering (like there's conflicting logic working to start/stop charging). For me to charge, I set the scheduling somewhat as it should be, but with multiple departure times during the night (It seems like charing is set to try complete on departure time rather than on preferred charing times). I combine this with plugging in late in the evening (I get the feeling that the car sleeps after a period of time and doesnt wake up to charge the car, so plugging in late gives it less time to sleep before charging is required). So far this has worked ok for me, and the car has been ready to rock at 8am in the morning as per my last departure time, but it has also resulted in the car starting to charge early (late evening) to either "test the waters" to see what power it's connected to, or to have the car ready for 3am at my first "fake" departure time.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Plug it in before you go inside and turn off the charge on the app. Start the charge then when you're heading to bed with the app.

The app does not stop/start charging for me. 100% of the time I get a communication error after about a minute of "synchronising". I've not bothered getting onto VW about this yet.

• Advertisement

WattsUp wrote: »
    I had a 2015 Golf GTE and this exact feature worked seamlessly from the car or even the app. Can't believe something that simple isn't working on ID4

If they kept it simple it would work, but they seem to have tried to make it intelligent. My best guess is the charging tries to, have the car finish charging at your departure time, and that departure time is king, preferred charging times are just a preference. This results in the car doing it's own thing by starting to charge when it feels like it and then stopping after a while because it'd finish before the departure time.
    I've seen my car charge for 20 minutes, then stop, then 30 minutes on half power, then stop. Then full power for a while, maybe ramping down to 6kW or 3kW in between, and ultimately not charging to the required %. I've also noticed the car not charging, but when I connect up to EVNotify I hear the relay flick on the charger and it starts charging (hence my theory of the car going to deep sleep)

Advertisement