Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

If they kept it simple it would work, but they seem to have tried to make it intelligent. My best guess is the charging tries to, have the car finish charging at your departure time, and that departure time is king, preferred charging times are just a preference. This results in the car doing it's own thing by starting to charge when it feels like it and then stopping after a while because it'd finish before the departure time.
    I've seen my car charge for 20 minutes, then stop, then 30 minutes on half power, then stop. Then full power for a while, maybe ramping down to 6kW or 3kW in between, and ultimately not charging to the required %. I've also noticed the car not charging, but when I connect up to EVNotify I hear the relay flick on the charger and it starts charging (hence my theory of the car going to deep sleep)

Would that damage the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

If they kept it simple it would work, but they seem to have tried to make it intelligent. My best guess is the charging tries to, have the car finish charging at your departure time, and that departure time is king, preferred charging times are just a preference. This results in the car doing it's own thing by starting to charge when it feels like it and then stopping after a while because it'd finish before the departure time.
    I've seen my car charge for 20 minutes, then stop, then 30 minutes on half power, then stop. Then full power for a while, maybe ramping down to 6kW or 3kW in between, and ultimately not charging to the required %. I've also noticed the car not charging, but when I connect up to EVNotify I hear the relay flick on the charger and it starts charging (hence my theory of the car going to deep sleep)

Here's the method, which works, for setting up scheduled charging using a Zappi. Would there be an adapted/similar method for other chargers?

Here are the steps to set up scheduling for the Zappi

From the home screen, press the down arrow until "Eco+" is selected
    Press the menu button (The three lines button on the left)
    Press the down arrow until charger settings
    Press +
    Press the down arrow until boost timer
    Press +
    Input time, durations and days
    Make sure default mode is "Eco+"
    To disable scheduling, select "fast" on the home screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

Great to know that there’s going to be basic charging issues….

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

forumdedum wrote: »
    Would that damage the battery?

Shouldn't. Driving the car puts more strain on the battery than home charging ever could.

kesey wrote: »
    Here's the method, which works, for setting up scheduled charging using a Zappi. Would there be an adapted/similar method for other chargers?

Here are the steps to set up scheduling for the Zappi

From the home screen, press the down arrow until "Eco+" is selected
    Press the down arrow until charger settings
    Press +
    Press the down arrow until boost timer
    Press +
    Input time, durations and days
    Make sure default mode is "Eco+"
    To disable scheduling, select "fast" on the home screen

I, like many others, don't have a zappi charge point. I, like many others, have a simple on/off style charge point, and I let the car sort out when to charge and when not to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Plug it in before you go inside and turn off the charge on the app. Start the charge then when you're heading to bed with the app.

Same. 100% reliable.
    In truth, it should have been fixed as soon as it was reported to them last year.

Its amazing they didnt. They've known from the very start. How they didnt prioritise that for the 2.1 update is mind boggling. Its a basic requirement.

Now that the 2.1 software is fairly reliable and very few phantom errors they better prioritise the charge timer fix for the next update.
    They blamed the problem on everyone but themselves (including blaming internet chatter where owners were reporting it) and even denied that the problem existed at all. Then they said it was only certain smart charge points that were causing the problem.

I think that was only for the Solar integration thing where it would go to sleep and the Zappi couldnt wake it up. They didnt accept that issue and just said "working as designed and conforms to the charging standard". They have improved it a good bit in 2.0 but not entirely right yet.

I think they always accepted that the charge timers were broken though. It not deniable to be honest, as it just doesnt work from the start... full stop.

All ID.4 and ID.3 afaik, regardless of software version.

Yea, all ID cars have the issue from day 1.

It really seems like the software is trying to be too clever,...

Im conflicted with this one. When I played with the menus/options first I was impressed. I think (and still think) the UI and options are very well designed and easy to navigate and understand. I like it alot.

My positivity was severly dented when I realised none of it worked though! :)

I think when they fix the bugs in the charge timers it will be an excellent system. Way better than I've seen in other EV's. When is the key question!
    The app does not stop/start charging for me. 100% of the time I get a communication error after about a minute of "synchronising". I've not bothered getting onto VW about this yet.

That works perfectly for me. Do you have basic comms working in the app... like does it show you the correct charge percentage etc?

Can you set things like the max SoC from the app and does it register in the car? If all that stuff is working the stop/start of the charge session should work too. If none of that is working maybe you have something setup wrong in the account or maybe your cars eSIM module is in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

I appreciate your point Black_Knight.
    I posted the Zappi charging method because there are no doubt others like myself who are new to EVs, not to mind the present eccentricities and peculiarities of the ID.3 and ID.4 scheduled charging "system".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

KCross wrote: »
    Same. 100% reliable.

Its amazing they didnt. They've known from the very start. How they didnt prioritise that for the 2.1 update is mind boggling. Its a basic requirement.

Now that the 2.1 software is fairly reliable and very few phantom errors they better prioritise the charge timer fix for the next update.

I think that was only for the Solar integration thing where it would go to sleep and the Zappi couldnt wake it up. They didnt accept that issue and just said "working as designed and conforms to the charging standard". They have improved it a good bit in 2.0 but not entirely right yet.

I think they always accepted that the charge timers were broken though. It not deniable to be honest, as it just doesnt work from the start... full stop.

When I first complained to my dealer in March about the timed charge issue, they made contact with their tech support in Dublin. I had pointed out that I had a Zappi but no solar. I was using the Zappi in dumb mode, that is, set to FAST, and using the car's timers to start a charge. The reply from Dublin was a bit of a rant about internet gossip. I posted it here previously. Some guff about the car's system working and that owners should be using that.

I have never been able to get the app to fully work. We charge support have been worse than useless. All they give are copy/paste instructions that don't solve the problem. When told that it didn't work, they just paste the same instructions in another e-mail. The last e-mail from them was to park my ID.4 in a safe location with good network signal....blah, blah.

I drive an ID.3'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pad199207

How many digits are in a vehicle commission number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

pad199207 wrote: »
    How many digits are in a vehicle commission number ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Collected my 1st Max today, car is absolutely fantastic to drive, much smoother than the Leaf (although after some spirited driving it might loosen out :))

Weather was garbage today so I didn't take it for a proper spin, hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to go for a proper drive and take some photos

I'll say the ride is much smoother than the Leaf24, the 21 inch wheel didn't seem to have any impact to the comfort (I had the car in comfor mode)

Regen also seems a lot stronger, not sure what people are talking about the regen being weak. String regen must be a thing in the Korean cars, I'm not sure I'd like it any stringer than it currently is

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Collected my 1st Max today

Congrats!

KCross wrote: »

That works perfectly for me. Do you have basic comms working in the app... like does it show you the correct charge percentage etc?

Can you set things like the max SoC from the app and does it register in the car? If all that stuff is working the stop/start of the charge session should work too. If none of that is working maybe you have something setup wrong in the account or maybe your cars eSIM module is in trouble.

I get correct %. Can set max charge, air conditioning, reduced AC charging etc. Just can't start or stop charge. I think perhaps once I was able to stop charge, but it's so unreliable I don't waste my time.

Collected my 1st Max today, car is absolutely fantastic to drive, much smoother than the Leaf (although after some spirited driving it might loosen out :))

Weather was garbage today so I didn't take it for a proper spin, hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to go for a proper drive and take some photos

I'll say the ride is much smoother than the Leaf24, the 21 inch wheel didn't seem to have any impact to the comfort (I had the car in comfor mode)

Regen also seems a lot stronger, not sure what people are talking about the regen being weak. String regen must be a thing in the Korean cars, I'm not sure I'd like it any stringer than it currently is

Delighted for ya. A long 4-5 month extra wait, but aside from the charging and the app it's a great car! Oh, and the lack of sunglasses holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Congrats, well wear. :). Hope this doesn't mean you will have less time to spend here and the ID.3 thread...:D

Okay, first impressions of the 1st Max

I took the car for a spin in the evenings, did a good mix of estates, back roads and motorway with and without traffic

The drive is extremely comfortable and smooth, the car just glides along and feels absolutely spot on over every type of road

No issues with the 21 inch wheels over bumps, the suspension had no issues absorbing them. Didn't encounter any potholes but the car glided over any bumps in the road surface

Speaking of the wheels, the alloys look awesome. The pictures really don't get across how great they look, I had the neighbours coming up to admire them. I'm going to be devastated when I hit my first kerb in the car

Acceleration is pretty good for such a big car and merges on the motorway are no problem. The Leaf would feel a bit shaky at 120, the ID.4 handles motorway speeds very gracefully

Over a 50km wander around I averaged about 204Wh/km, which included some fierce headwinds but also some tailwinds. So efficiency seems like no problem and I'm looking forward to some long distance driving

I did notice a fair bit of wind and road noise at 120km/h, will need to try slower speeds to see how they fare. The Leaf makes a bit of an engine whine above 100, pure silence from the ID.4, which probably contributes to hearing more noise around you. I did notice my ears felt like they wanted to pop after a while, not sure what that's about, maybe had the air con on too high a setting

The infortainment was great, only one tiny lag when I was swiping around. The voice control is very slow but didn't miss any commands. I didn't try out many of the functions so will have to wait and see, I'll be picking everyone's brains here to figure stuff out

I tried the Travel assist and found it very strange at first. I've never driven a car with anything smarter than dumb cruise control, so this was a big transition. I found it a bit overactive on the M50 with a lot of cars around, like it was constantly trying to correct the car.

It seemed a bit steadier on the M1 with less traffic. It did get a big confused at an exit and didn't seem to know where the road was going and told me to take over

However, it was pretty spot on otherwise and didn't miss a beat when there were cars in front. I think once I get used to it it'll be a lot easier

The lane assist seemed pretty passive, only bugged me once when I forgot to indicate changing lane. I actually had to go and check if it was still on. I'd say it'll be a bit more worried on narrow country roads rather than wide motorway lanes

The seats are very comfortable, even had a few neighbours comment on how good they were. I'm still getting them adjusted properly for myself, I find my right leg getting a bit cramped when sitting on the accelerator. It's just a case of playing with it until I find the right setting. The missus approves of the massage seats, I'm still a bit unconvinced but I've never really liked massage seats. I'd say they'll be good on long journeys to stop the aches and pains

The interior looks great, sun roof makes it really light and open, even on a dreary day like today

All in all, I'm delighted and can't wait to take it on a few longer drives over the coming weeks :D

eagerv wrote: »
    Congrats, well wear. :). Hope this doesn't mean you will have less time to spend here and the ID.3 thread...:D

Oh don't worry I'll be here to pick everyone's brains about all the functions

I must have read the manual cover to cover twice, but as soon as I sat in the car I forgot everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Collected my 1st Max today,.
    Congrats. Well wear

Oh don't worry I'll be here to pick everyone's brains about all the functions

I must have read the manual cover to cover twice, but as soon as I sat in the car I forgot everything

You must be one of the few..:pac:

Did you get to try the smart regen or whatever it's called?

eagerv wrote: »
    You must be one of the few..:pac:

Did you get to try the smart regen or whatever it's called?

Yeah I gave both D and B mode a try

B mode has no smart regen it seems, will just do full regen as soon as you lift off the accelerator. I found the regen quite strong, stronger than the Leaf. Not sure how it compares to other cars but I'm not sure I'd like it much more, feels like the car is braking quite hard as it is

D mode will just carry on at whatever speed when you lift off until the smart regen kicks in. I did get the prompt to lift off the accelerator a few times because of a roundabout and the car did slowly ramp up the regen as it approached the roundabout

My two criticisms would be that it only seems to know about major roundabouts, not minor ones. Or perhaps it's speed based, only kicks in above a high speed, not sure. My only way to test it would be to drive around my estate at 80, which might annoy the residents committee :)

The other issue I found was that it's a bit late on the brakes for my liking. It seems to slowly ramp up then suddenly increase as it gets close to the cars in front. I'm not sure if it'll actually bring the car to a halt without driver intervention, I'm not quite ready to test it out yet

• Advertisement

Yeah I gave both D and B mode a try

B mode has no smart regen it seems, will just do full regen as soon as you lift off the accelerator. I found the regen quite strong, stronger than the Leaf. Not sure how it compares to other cars but I'm not sure I'd like it much more, feels like the car is braking quite hard as it is

D mode will just carry on at whatever speed when you lift off until the smart regen kicks in. I did get the prompt to lift off the accelerator a few times because of a roundabout and the car did slowly ramp up the regen as it approached the roundabout

My two criticisms would be that it only seems to know about major roundabouts, not minor ones. Or perhaps it's speed based, only kicks in above a high speed, not sure. My only way to test it would be to drive around my estate at 80, which might annoy the residents committee :)

The other issue I found was that it's a bit late on the brakes for my liking. It seems to slowly ramp up then suddenly increase as it gets close to the cars in front. I'm not sure if it'll actually bring the car to a halt without driver intervention, I'm not quite ready to test it out yet

Yes only works in D and not when in Sport (Which uses B regen which I also find too strong). Seems to work on any proper roundabouts I have been on, perhaps not the tiny painted on ones. Slows you up to a perfect entry speed, not sure but perhaps 25km/h? Think you can change the sensitivity of the system, but I am happy enough with the default..

Wonder what's the first bug you'll come across!?

I remember on day 1 the poi in the sat nav were in German for me. Random weirdness

Wonder what's the first bug you'll come across!?

I remember on day 1 the poi in the sat nav were in German for me. Random weirdness

Haha, it does feel a bit like an initiation ritual, what's the first thing that'll go wrong :)

So far it's been seamless, but I didn't get much time to try out the infotainment screen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If its any consolation the Etron has the same stupid scheduled charging nonsense.

Luckily I can bypass it and schedule with the eo app but you'd wonder what genius coded the logic

Cyrus wrote: »
    If its any consolation the Etron has the same stupid scheduled charging nonsense.

Luckily I can bypass it and schedule with the eo app but you'd wonder what genius coded the logic

Probably the same clown who did the UX design :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

We asked Volkswagen Innovation and Engineering Center Portfolio Manager for the company's Connected Services Platform, Mukta Ghalsasi, to describe how her team developed some of the unorthodox controls employed in the VW ID.4 electric vehicle.

https://www.designnews.com/automotive-engineering/how-build-better-automotive-interface

cannco253 wrote: »
    We asked Volkswagen Innovation and Engineering Center Portfolio Manager for the company's Connected Services Platform, Mukta Ghalsasi, to describe how her team developed some of the unorthodox controls employed in the VW ID.4 electric vehicle.

https://www.designnews.com/automotive-engineering/how-build-better-automotive-interface

Article title
    How to Build a Better Automotive Interface

I take issues with that statement :)

Okay, first nuisance, I can't regiter for We Charge. When I tap the We Charge Free plan and hit next it just gives me the fallen ice cream and says "Something went wrong"

Did the usual tricks of restarting the app, logging out and back in and clearing app data

I'm on the latest app version, so that shouldn't be a problem

This might be my fault, a while back I set my billing address to Germany to try and get the discounted plans. I've changed it back but it's possible the backend needs time to sync up

Anyone have any ideas?

I've sent VW an email so hopefully they can fix it, was hoping to try out some Ionity charging later today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Okay, first nuisance, I can't regiter for We Charge. When I tap the We Charge Free plan and hit next it just gives me the fallen ice cream and says "Something went wrong"

Did the usual tricks of restarting the app, logging out and back in and clearing app data

This might be my fault, a while back I set my billing address to Germany to try and get the discounted plans. I've changed it back but it's possible the backend needs time to sync up

Anyone have any ideas?

I've sent VW an email so hopefully they can fix it, was hoping to try out some Ionity charging later today

I've had this problem since day 1.

We Charge support are useless and clearly haven't a clue how to sort it. The best solution I read online was to use an Apple device to set it up, if you aren't already, and then it'll work fine on any device.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any ideas?

To reset your locations etc you need to disconnect the app from your VW profile.
    Log in here, https://vwid.vwgroup.io/account, remove connected apps, then you can log back into the wecharge app from scratch and set your location etc.

I tried this extensively in an attempt to see cheaper charging rates.

Selecting the free plan and hitting next works for me (it prompts me asking if i've a we Charge card already). I've not completed the setup since i've no use for another card. Rates are the same as Ionity (€0.73) and other providers have better rates than that.

Advertisement