Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is VWs own charger problematic? Or is it just the ID4?

It’s the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

KCross wrote: »
    It’s the car.

Is it just the 1st editions or will the same issue be in the other trims?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

forumdedum wrote: »
    Is VWs own charger problematic? Or is it just the ID4?

The the software on the cars

It does make you wonder how they tested it, perhaps they only used their own charger

Or they just didn't bother testing :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

pad199207 wrote: »

Presumably it'll be the same until VW fixes the software

So I woke up at 3am last night and checked the car. Wasn't charging so I started the charge manually

Woke up at 4am to the fire alarm going off (unrelated and a false alarm, don't worry :)) and checked again. My previous command to start charging had failed so the car was charging at full speed now, 32km/h (7kW)

After sorting the fire alarm out (removed battery, threw under cushion) and getting kids back to sleep I checked again and the car was down to 20km/h (~4kW)

Checked again sometime around 8am departure and it was going slow at around 8km/h (1.7kW)

I ended up with 68% as opposed to the target of 80%. Luckily I don't need any more but it's pretty frustrating

I'll need to get my Zappi installed asap so I can do timed charging from the charger instead

Was all that with or without timers and location settings configured?

I haven’t heard anyone complain that the car doesn’t charge reliably when the in-car timers are disabled. 100% reliable for me and everyone else I’ve heard from.

• Advertisement

All of them until software update is pushed out.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Was all that with or without timers and location settings configured?

I haven’t heard anyone complain that the car doesn’t charge reliably when the in-car timers are disabled. 100% reliable for me and everyone else I’ve heard from.

Yeah. Without location settings configured it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Stopped at the Galway Plaza today. An ID.4 was just starting on the HPC and a Leaf at the 50kW.
    Checked before I headed out and there was somebody else on the HPC, but I thought it would be free by the time I got there.
    It's a busy enough spot but good so see that the spaces weren't ICEd - I guess they were in use so that helps.
    Do any of the apps show if there is a queue at the charger? I don't know any that allow you to add yourself to a queue, might be helpful when the chargers get busier as I found out today.

Arrived with 19% SOC after driving for about an hour. Not the warmest day, about 11 degrees.
    Speed ramped up very quickly and peaked at just over 89kW, the fastest I've had so far. Stayed for just under 15 minutes with 44% SOC, averaged at about 85kW for the time I was there.

Happy enough with that.

cannco253 wrote: »
    Stopped at the Galway Plaza today. An ID.4 was just starting on the HPC and a Leaf at the 50kW.
    Checked before I headed out and there was somebody else on the HPC, but I thought it would be free by the time I got there.
    It's a busy enough spot but good so see that the spaces weren't ICEd - I guess they were in use so that helps.
    Do any of the apps show if there is a queue at the charger? I don't know any that allow you to add yourself to a queue, might be helpful when the chargers get busier as I found out today.

Arrived with 19% SOC after driving for about an hour. Not the warmest day, about 11 degrees.
    Speed ramped up very quickly and peaked at just over 89kW, the fastest I've had so far. Stayed for just under 15 minutes with 44% SOC, averaged at about 85kW for the time I was there.

Happy enough with that.

Yeah. Pretty busy today. CCS particularly

IMG-20210522-152205.jpg

Good to see it's getting used but it's pretty obvious that even if ECars hits the original target for the network upgrades it's still not going to be enough for all the EVs we have on the road

Especially now that a lot more people will be taking long journeys in them

• Advertisement

Yeah. Without location settings configured it works perfectly.

When I deleted the charging location mine immediately went up to full power. It seems to throttle the charging using some weird algorithm when it has a charging location set

When I deleted the charging location mine immediately went up to full power. It seems to throttle the charging using some weird algorithm when it has a charging location set

Yup. The Goldilocks algorithm. To much, too little, just right, eaten by a bear.

So after a few days of using the AR display I can now say it's awesome. Probably my favourite feature of the car so far

The HUD is basically the same as the instrument cluster but it's in the right position where you don't need to look down without being unobtrusive

The AR features are brilliant, they don't annoy or get in the way and the orange prompt when you drift to the edge of the lane helps about the lane assist kicking in

I didn't know I needed it in my life, but now I can't live without it :D

I didn't know I needed it in my life, but now I can't live without it :D

Marketing at its best. A genuinely useful feature that now you're powerless to live without. Only slightly jealous. Nice that Android auto navigation also works on the dash binacle display (and I assume AR)

Marketing at its best. A genuinely useful feature that now you're powerless to live without. Only slightly jealous. Nice that Android auto navigation also works on the dash binacle display (and I assume AR)

I've yet to try android auto for navigation, my phone is ancient so I have to use the wired connection

Must add it to my list of things to test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Mine doesn't work on the AR

Down South wrote: »
    Mine doesn't work on the AR

Awh. Disappointing, considering it works on the binicle.

Last night I tried to charge the car using the app.

I have my home destination set up on the car, didn't use any of the scheduling on the car and didn't use any scheduling on the zappi. Wifi searching turned off on the car (helps with CarPlay in my case anyway)

Plugged the car in, started charging straight away and then stopped it using the app. Left the car plugged in.
    Before I hit the hay I started charging from the app. Woke up this morning and charged to 80% no problem.

Used an iPhone SE2020 on IOS 14.4.2. It's strange some people have problems using the app, others don't.

There is no consistency at all to the process, the sooner the OTA fix comes out the better, nevermind the complete overhaul the app desperately needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Saw one of these operating as a taxi around Carrickmines over the weekend, seeing quite a good few of them on the roads in Dublin too. Actually I also saw a model 3 taxi charging up in Sandyford industrial estate over the weekend which was a first.

Saw a white one operating as a taxi this morning in Blackrock, possibly the same one?

Can it really be cost effective to run a brand new ID.4 (even the entry level model) as a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

54and56 wrote: »
    Saw a white one operating as a taxi this morning in Blackrock, possibly the same one?

Can it really be cost effective to run a brand new ID.4 (even the entry level model) as a taxi?

Didn't the government announce some scheme that gives taxi drivers an additional grant towards the cost of an EV in addition to the VRT and SEAI grant the rest of us get?

• Advertisement

Massive grant for taxis. €20k.
    €25k if setup for disabled.

I did a bit of searching after my wait at the Galway Plaza yesterday.
    I see that if you use the ChargePoint app it has a waitlist feature, it's the only app I can see that has this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isy33yBmq6s

Maybe eCars/other providers should consider this at some point?

cannco253 wrote: »
    I did a bit of searching after my wait at the Galway Plaza yesterday.
    I see that if you use the ChargePoint app it has a waitlist feature, it's the only app I can see that has this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isy33yBmq6s

Maybe eCars/other providers should consider this at some point?

Personally I'd prefer if they considered installing more chargers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Massive grant for taxis. €20k.
    €25k if setup for disabled.

So set up as a taxi for a week, then retire as a taxi driver, re-register as a private car and pay back the grant or not? :p

So set up as a taxi for a week, then retire as a taxi driver, re-register as a private car and pay back the grant or not? :p

I imagine there'll be some checks

I don't think there's a rule that you actually have to give any taxi rides however :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't there a whole psv license involved. And I believe they are only giving out disabled licenses now which this car wouldn't suit as the vehicle is not up to spec for that application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

How long do you reckon you have if you want to change the colour that your ordered?

How long do you reckon you have if you want to change the colour that your ordered?

I think as long as the car hasn't been built you can make changes

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

OK my id4 will be ready the first week of July. Can anyone explain the we charge, when I see a charging point it says 1/4 what does this mean. Any other information with charging on the go would really be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Are you thinking of ordering the yellow?

Advertisement