Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

boombang wrote: »
    I wonder would we get stats published on what proportion of both populations have criminal records? I did a quick Google last night in an attempt to either prove it disprove the claim. All I could find was evidence of the disproportionate amount of the prison population made up by travellers, which is not the same thing as saying most have criminal records.

I strongly believe that we're in a PC age where such facts will be suppressed from publication, therefore making it harder to have an objective debate. I believe this is counter productive, as people fall back on prejudices in the absence of evidence. I try not to, but I'm sure I do.

RTE don't identify travellers when a crime story is reported

They rush to do so if a traveller achieves some academic or artistic distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bluewolf wrote: »
    Based on some documentaries i do feel sorry for the girls, it seems very difficult even if they do have the determination to learn. And seem very restricted in what they can do

Deeply grim to see that anti female and anti education culture cherished and promoted by rte liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Given that the Cash woman had dozens of convictions without serving a day, the statistics most likely under-estimate the level of criminality, but that is true of "petty crime" in general.

I'm sure she and every other traveler criminal were apprehended and convicted for every crime they have committed.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The majority of wealth created in developing countries, ends up in developed countries

You sure about that Chief?

Developing countries do quite well from overseas aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

OK, let's go with this:

- 0.6% of the population in Ireland in 2016 were travellers
    - They account for 10% of male prisoners, and 20% of female prisoners
    - In 2016, there were 4.726 million people in Ireland
    - This would mean there were 28356 travellers in Ireland in 2016
    - There were 2546 females and 10033 males in prison in 2016
    - This means 509 of 2546 women in prison were travellers
    - And 1003 males in prison were travellers

So, in 2016 3549 travellers were in prison - 28.21%
    Of the remaining 4,713,421 people in Ireland, only 0.19% were in prison.

So, nearly 30% of travellers end up in prison, and 0.2% of the rest of the population ends up in prison. I'm sure this will be blamed on profiling, etc, but I call BS. There's that many in prison because they break the law. Regardless of why they broke the law, they did, got caught and got sent to prison.

Your stats dont add up.

509 female prisones plus 1003 male prisoners does not equal 3549 prisoners!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

phutyle wrote: »
    There should be a basic comprehension test to determine that potential posters can understand and reason to the level of the average 12 year old before posting here.
    On AH? Good luck with that. More like average 2 year old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You mean The perpetually aggrieved men who are constantly complaining about Muslims travelers trans people gay people women... but it’s the left are all snowflakes somehow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

People who make up their own Gender should not be entertained or indulged under any circumstances.

People who make up their own Gender should not be entertained or indulged under any circumstances.

Do you know many of them? Or even one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You mean The perpetually aggrieved men who are constantly complaining about Muslims travelers trans people gay people women... but it’s the left are all snowflakes somehow....

I don't really see them complaining. I see them talking about problems which people like you don't want to deal with. You want to shut down any discussion as racist/bigoted, etc.

Let's go through your list:

Muslims - I'm sure you've seen the studies which shows large minorities of muslims think suicide bombs are sometimes, often or always understandable. Combine this with how (like it or not) large aspects of muslim cultures are very different to western cultures, e.g. killing gays, controlling women, sexually abusing children, etc. A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Travelers - Many social issues, crime issues, etc. A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Trans people - Many (most?) people don't believe a trans woman is a real woman. They think it's wrong we're being forced to pretend it's "normal". A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Gay people - I almost never see anyone here complaining about gay people. Are you sure you're not making this one up?

Women - I almost never see anyone here complaining about women. Are you sure you're not making this one up too? Now I do see people complaining about feminism, but feminism is an ideology and it does not equal women.

Please try to think through your ideas before wrongly claiming people are "perpetually aggrieved men".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You sure about that Chief?

Developing countries do quite well from overseas aid.

according to joe stiglitz, yup, far more wealth has been extracted by developed countries than received from developed countries

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I don't really see them complaining. I see them talking about problems which people like you don't want to deal with. You want to shut down any discussion as racist/bigoted, etc.

Let's go through your list:

Muslims - I'm sure you've seen the studies which shows large minorities of muslims think suicide bombs are sometimes, often or always understandable. Combine this with how (like it or not) large aspects of muslim cultures are very different to western cultures, e.g. killing gays, controlling women, sexually abusing children, etc. A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Travelers - Many social issues, crime issues, etc. A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Trans people - Many (most?) people don't believe a trans woman is a real woman. They think it's wrong we're being forced to pretend it's "normal". A lot of people have a problem with this and want to discuss the issues.

Gay people - I almost never see anyone here complaining about gay people. Are you sure you're not making this one up?

Women - I almost never see anyone here complaining about women. Are you sure you're not making this one up too? Now I do see people complaining about feminism, but feminism is an ideology and it does not equal women.

Please try to think through your ideas before wrongly claiming people are "perpetually aggrieved men".

Thanks to the laugh. Are you new to boards? Take a ramble through any random thread at all and you’ll find the middle aged man baby complaining about all of the above in no particular order. Stick your ‘people like you’ up your hole by the way.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    according to joe stiglitz, yup, far more wealth has been extracted by developed countries than received from developed countries

In fairness he's very against the free market and globalisation, so he's a bit biased.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know enough about this to give an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Do you know many of them? Or even one of them?

Not personally but don't try tell me that this is a figment of my imagination.

Thanks to the laugh. Are you new to boards? Take a ramble through any random thread at all and you’ll find the middle aged man baby complaining about all of the above in no particular order. Stick your ‘people like you’ up your hole by the way.

The only person I am seeing consistently moaning is you.

Is your name supposed to be ironic? Are you talking about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In fairness he's very against the free market and globalisation, so he's a bit biased.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know enough about this to give an opinion.

stiglitz isnt against free market economics, hes very much for it, but realises its limitations, hence his work on the 'inefficiencies of the market', he would be a critic of globalization, in particular the neoliberial approach to it, i do like his use of the term 'progressive capitalism' in order for us to move forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    RTE don't identify travellers when a crime story is reported

Better yet racist attacks by travellers are brushed under the carpet.

It's actually darkly comic to see this happen.

First a racist attack is reported and gets media traction, the outrage machine begins firing up, Fintan O'Toole sharpens his pencil in preparation for a scorching j'accuse against the racism inherent in our society, then it emerges that the assailants were travellers and the next day the story is dropped, never to be heard of again.

This happened this week with the those poor Muslim teenagers assaulted in Dundrum, it happened previously near that part of Dublin when recently arrived Syrian refugees were attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

If some drone was after bombing some village wedding killing most of your family, you might think a suicide bomb was justified. I find it funny that we call suicide bombers cowards and drone pilots who sit in air conditioned rooms far from any harm heroes.

Think of the movie American Sniper, a story about a trained killer of an invading army versus a Olympic sportsman driven to defend his Homeland, yet the movie portrays the invading trained killer as the hero.

The west is bombing the middle East back to the stone age, supporting Apartheid regimes etc etc

The only person I am seeing consistently moaning is you.

Is your name supposed to be ironic? Are you talking about yourself?

Where’s the Moan? It was an observation. I clearly touched a nerve. Little racist women hating man babies hiding behind keyboards are more to be pitied than laughed at is all.

Where’s the Moan? It was an observation. I clearly touched a nerve. Little racist women hating man babies hiding behind keyboards are more to be pitied than laughed at is all.

You're still moaning and you're completely wrong. Just because they don't share your far left opinions doesn't mean they're racist or hate women.

You have very poor critical thinking skills. You appear to be an emotional thinker. It's not good.

I'm adding you to my ignore list now, as you're too frustrating.

• Advertisement

If some drone was after bombing some village wedding killing most of your family, you might think a suicide bomb was justified. I find it funny that we call suicide bombers cowards and drone pilots who sit in air conditioned rooms far from any harm heroes.

Think of the movie American Sniper, a story about a trained killer of an invading army versus a Olympic sportsman driven to defend his Homeland, yet the movie portrays the invading trained killer as the hero.

The west is bombing the middle East back to the stone age, supporting Apartheid regimes etc etc

Look, I'm a very harsh critic of US foreign policy.

US foreign policy is evil. Plain and simple.

But this doesn't change the fact that large minorities of muslims are OK-ish with suicide bombings.

People should be allowed discuss and criticise this without being called a white supremacist. (I'm not saying you're doing this).

You're still moaning and you're completely wrong. Just because they don't share your far left opinions doesn't mean they're racist or hate women.

You have very poor critical thinking skills. You appear to be an emotional thinker. It's not good.

I'm adding you to my ignore list now, as you're too frustrating.

Where have I espoused a far left opinion? Running away doesn’t help constructive debate but typical of the ever so fragile little men of the far right. On you go. You’ll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Are you actually seriously justifying suicide bombers or am I having a stroke and hallucinating?? What the fuuuck

Are you actually seriously justifying suicide bombers or am I having a stroke and hallucinating?? What the fuuuck

Don’t think thats what they said or meant at all. Any people being crushed by oppression or being bombed and killed in their millions are going to react in arms. Look at Northern Ireland. Well never know the full extent of the damage US incusions into the Middle East have caused. Not just body count but the effect on the cultures involved. There weren’t any rabid Islamist ‘terrorist’ campaigns of note before the US stuck their oar in to secure oil. Now the flimsy narrative is they’re there to defeat those groups. That they actually invented in some cases. Hello US millions to the taliban in Afghanistan to fight the Russians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don’t think thats what they said or meant at all. Any people being crushed by oppression or being bombed and killed in their millions are going to react in arms. Look at Northern Ireland. Well never know the full extent of the damage US incusions into the Middle East have caused. Not just body count but the effect on the cultures involved. There weren’t any rabid Islamist ‘terrorist’ campaigns of note before the US stuck their oar in to secure oil. Now the flimsy narrative is they’re there to defeat those groups. That they actually invented in some cases. Hello US millions to the taliban in Afghanistan to fight the Russians.
    Tell that to the families of the CHILDREN murdered at an Ariana Grande gig who most likely have never oppressed anyone in their lives. Hope you extend the same sympathy for the IRA.

Tell that to the families of the CHILDREN murdered at an Ariana Grande gig who most likely have never oppressed anyone in their lives. Hope you extend the same sympathy for the IRA.

That’s taking the ball running off the pitch into a tennis court and playing an entirely different game. But if it makes you happy I guess.
    Do you know the death toll from US drone strikes since they started? It’s an obscenely Huge number. And few if any of those killed were terrorists. Their ‘crime’ was to be Muslim in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There weren’t any rabid Islamist ‘terrorist’ campaigns of note before the US stuck their oar in to secure oil.
    I think you need to read a history book or two, before you make statements like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The PC brigade don’t want to admit the taxation of carbon will not dictate the earth’s temperature.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

I think you need to read a history book or two, before you make statements like that.

I Said of note. There wasn’t any Muslim extremists bombing New York or Manchester etc and then suddenly there was. And anti Muslim sentiment born out of that. There’s a billion or two Muslims. They cant all be terrorists but they way they’re treated and viewed you’d swear they all are. Sweeping Generalizations are a bit dangerous no? It’s stupidity and ignorance though has us here. The internet. Hey ho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

The world's ****ed.

Everybody hates everyone, everyone is jealous of everybody else, everyone thinks that anybody who has anything nice is a drug dealer or a gangster or a dole cheat and it's possible they are because crime pays in this country.

if you're a person who works hard and obeys the law you just get screwed. You're better off being a gangster or a drug dealer and just pay off the local sergeant.

Or even try to make new friends, 20 years ago you would stop in the street and have a conversation with a complete stranger! if you even look at somebody now and they don't know you they get offended it's f****** ridiculous.

I get taxed over €500 a month and what do I get out of that nothing, maybe a free filling and a cheap pair of glasses but that's it!

You go to educate yourself to gain lots of qualifications only to end up in a job that is paying less than a job that requires no qualifications

Our emergency and defence forces are about to fall apart,our government doesn't give a f*** but most of all the Irish people don't give a f*** because we just sit back and take it and moan on FB and Boards all the while we post pictures of us drinking grey goose vodka and wearing designer gear every weekend but then complain that the road tax is too high and we can't afford to pay our bills!

but of course all the above is just hear say, we'll just brush it under the carpet and keep on going like we always have done.

I hope I haven't offended anybody...............is it snowing yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement