Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    This is a huge part of the problem.

Our social welfare system is too generous.

It needs to have a time limit, e.g. you can claim it for 10 years in total and then that's it.*

We also need to be really harsh on people who commit social welfare fraud. I'm talking 10+ years in prison.

We should not be tolerating people who are cheating our country.

*Excludes people who are genuinely unable to work.

Cut child benefit after the fourth child, that would disproportionately effect travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Trump supporters are genuinely stupid, racist and backward when it comes to science. It's not politically correct to say that though.

Are they racist towards science?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

nullzero wrote: »
    Are they racist towards science?

Going by today's definition, if you say something like black people are generally better at sprinting (statistically), and white people are generally better at swimming (statistically), you'll be accused of racism for saying white people are generally better at swimming. However you'll be congratulated for pointing out black people are generally better at sprinting.

How are these people still alive? It seems they can't think at all. I would have thought by now they would have climbed into a volcano to check out the lava.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A society that funds their lifestyle from the cradle to the grave.

Utopia for some if they can make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nthclare wrote: »
    Utopia for some if they can make the most of it.

That must be why travellers have such a high suicide rate.
    It must be the Utopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Democrat supporters are genuinely stupid, racist and backward when it comes to science. It's not politically correct to say that though.

Do you see how stupid this is?

"But there's no evidence they reject science!"

They think transgender women (i.e. still have a dick and balls) are equivalent to biological females.

"But there's no evidence they're racist!"

They want to make it easier for black people to go to college, because they don't believe they're smart enough to get in on their own. They think when Trump says Baltimore is a dump full of rats, they think black people are the rats.

"But there's no evidence they're backwards!"

They're so backwards they don't even understand the concept of a national border.

So, do I think Trump supporters are stupid, racist and backward? No. Do I think Democrat supporters are stupid, racist and backward? No. But before you go throwing stones you better be sure you're not in a glass house.

Yes I generally do. There's studies to support that. It was demonstrated by a research group in Harvard that Republicans are less likely to believe in facts even when presented as evidence.

It was also confirmed that they're far more likely to believe in lies.
    Many conservatives have a loose relationship with facts. The right-wing denial of what most people think of as accepted reality starts with political issues: As recently as 2016, 45 percent of Republicans still believed that the Affordable Care Act included “death panels” (it doesn’t). A 2015 poll found that 54 percent of GOP primary voters believed then-President Obama to be a Muslim (…he isn’t).

So yes and excuse if this isn't PC, but conservatives are generally a dumber class of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It must be the Utopia.

Maybe we should give them more free stuff ? Would that help

How can someone have a 191 van if they have no job? Isn't this a strange display of wealth. Why don't revenue ask questions?
    Why isn't their welfare means tested? Too many questions that nobody will dare touch.

Tus Scheme for long term unemployed. Why don't travellers have to participate ?
    Free reign to do what they want and when the time comes to give up the "nomadic lifestyle" a house magically appears for free. Sometimes next door to other houses owned by people who have worked , sacrificed and saved all of their lives to afford.

Tis some country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It must be the Utopia.

A Utopia of their own making.

They should have been integrated into the general population years ago, by force if necessary, it would have been better for everyone.

Yes I generally do. There's studies to support that. It was demonstrated by a research group in Harvard that Republicans are less likely to believe in facts even when presented as evidence.

It was also confirmed that they're far more likely to believe in lies.

So yes and excuse if this isn't PC, but conservatives are generally a dumber class of people.

Why are you lying?

That's not what the study says.

It says both sides, the left and right, are susceptible to fake news.

The right don't trust most news sources (hence susceptible to fake news if the source is "trusted" by the right) , and the left seek left-wing fake news when republicans are in power.

Did you even read the study?

Why are you lying?

The right don't trust most news sources (hence susceptible to fake news if the source is "trusted" by the right) , and the left seek left-wing fake news when republicans are in power.

There is no left or right in Ireland. Fine Gael or fianna fail are voted in every time. This is not America. Stop pretending

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    There is no left or right in Ireland. Fine Gael or fianna fail are voted in every time. This is not America. Stop pretending

I'm responding to a study someone posted from Harvard about fake news in the US. You need to try to think of the context when looking at people's responses. You shouldn't view them as independent statements unrelated to anything which was previously posted.

Of course there is left and right in Ireland.

For example:

Sinn Fein - Far left.

Identity Ireland - Far right.

Some stuff which is centre right, and lots of stuff which is centre left or left.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood your post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

It must be the Utopia.

That's not exactly a good way to look at it.

I said utopia for some, why bring in travelers and suicide ???

I'm talking about the hippie's and artist's who love spending time not working, growing their vegetables and fruits etc

Painting sculpting, surfing and fishing etc

Can you see the utopian attraction for some ?

Rent a small house on rent allowance, have a cheap low maintenance car...

A bike too to keep fit...

If you're clever with money you could have a comfortable lifestyle on the welfare.

I know a few new age hippie's living in small farm houses in Clare and they're rich in spirit and can put their hands to anything.
    More power to them if that's their lifestyle of choice...

Not for me I prefer to work for a living.

Maybe we should give them more free stuff ? Would that help

How can someone have a 191 van if they have no job? Isn't this a strange display of wealth. Why don't revenue ask questions?
    Why isn't their welfare means tested? Too many questions that nobody will dare touch.

Tus Scheme for long term unemployed. Why don't travellers have to participate ?
    Free reign to do what they want and when the time comes to give up the "nomadic lifestyle" a house magically appears for free. Sometimes next door to other houses owned by people who have worked , sacrificed and saved all of their lives to afford.

Tis some country.

Like I said, it must be the great perks that go along with being born into the traveller community that cause a disproportionate number of them to kill themselves.
    Life just too good, I reckon.

Why are you lying?

Yep I did. You're sort of proving my point by misunderstanding the study OMM. Although it does state that the left will also fail prey to fake news they concluded:
    Significant evidence suggests that fake news and misinformation impact, for the moment at least, predominantly the right side of the political spectrum (e.g., Lazer n.d., Benkler, 2017).

Like I said, it must be the great perks that go along with being born into the traveller community that cause a disproportionate number of them to kill themselves.

Is anything I wrote untrue?

Yep I did. You're sort of proving my point by misunderstanding the study OMM. Although it does state that the left will also fail prey to fake news they concluded:

Are you able to stop lying?

Holy crap you're an incredibly dishonest person.

Here's the conclusion:
    Conclusion

The conference touched on the cognitive, social and institutional constructs of misinformation from both long-standing and more recent work in a variety of disciplines. In this document, we outlined some of the relevant work on information processing, credibility assessment, corrections and their effectiveness, and the diffusion of misinformation on social networks. We described concrete steps for making the science of fake news more inclusive for researchers across the political spectrum, detailed strategies for making the truth “louder,” and introduced an interdisciplinary initiative for advancing the study of misinformation online. Finally, we recognized areas where additional research is needed to provide a better understanding of the fake news phenomenon and ways to mitigate it.

Notice they don't mention the right at all in the conclusion, yet you're pretending they do, hoping no one will read the study.

You are fake news. The irony.

Possible undiagnosed special needs children due to in breeding?

It's a big problem within aboriginal and other communities.

Are you able to stop lying?

Holy crap you're an incredibly dishonest person.

Here's the conclusion:

Notice they don't mention the right at all in the conclusion, yet you're pretending they do, hoping no one will read the study.

You are fake news. The irony.

Again O you're proving my point. People from the Conservative point of view will be immune to facts.

Again here's what they state about the predisposition of those on the right towards being less able to assimilate facts:
    Significant evidence suggests that fake news and misinformation impact, for the moment at least, predominantly the right side of the political spectrum (e.g., Lazer n.d., Benkler, 2017).

Again O you're proving my point. People from the Conservative point of view will be immune to facts.

Again here's what they state about the predisposition of those on the right towards being less able to assimilate facts:

Why were you ignoring the stuff they say about the left, and why were you pretending the above quote is the conclusion?

Can you not see the irony here? You're lying and spreading fake news.

What a joke you are. Onto my ignore list you go.

Is anything I wrote untrue?

If travellers have free reign to do as they please, how come there are so many travellers in prison?

• Advertisement

Why were you ignoring the stuff they say about the left, and why were you pretending the above quote is the conclusion?

Can you not see the irony here?

You're lying and spreading fake news.

What a joke you are. Onto my ignore list you go.

OMM if I was spreading fake news you wouldn't be disagreeing with it. I think you've already put facts on your ignore list too. Leave the emotion out of the debate, go away and have a calm down.

If travellers have free reign to do as they please, how come there are so many travellers in prison?

Probably caught red handed. Never underestimate stupidity.

But in reality you know I'm referring to free reign to flaunt the welfare system. As per everything in my post. But Kudos to you for picking out one bit an ignoring the rest.
    You've been well on boards before id imagine

Probably caught red handed. Never underestimate stupidity.

But in reality you know I'm referring to free reign to flaunt the welfare system. As per everything in my post. But Kudos to you for picking out one bit an ignoring the rest.
    You've been well on boards before id imagine
    You asked if anything you said was untrue.
    I pointed something out.
    What is your issue?

Also, nowhere have I defended any criminality, fraud or anti social behaviour.

You asked if anything you said was untrue.
    I pointed something out.
    What is your issue?

Everything I mentioned was welfare related. You know this. You know it's true.
    Rather than admit it you went down the road of criminality in the traveling community.

Ok then. Yes there are many travellers in prison. Why?
    Because they break the law and are not contributing members of society.

Your tax pays for their prison stay. Then upon release your tax pays for their houses, healthcare etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm responding to a study someone posted from Harvard about fake news in the US. You need to try to think of the context when looking at people's responses. You shouldn't view them as independent statements unrelated to anything which was previously posted.

Sinn Fein - Far left.

In what way?

Almost all of the FF, FG, SF, Labour and SD TDs could be in the same party.

The majority share same views on almost every issue. SF are rhetorically more left on economic issues in south, but spent ten years in Stormont with DUP implementing Tory policies.

There is no what would be considered in European context a "nationalist" party. And it is impossible to fit all of them into one category as while they share a conservative position on immigration, their economic polices differ radically. Some are old style left, while others are free market right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

All of the dail parties are of the left, we don't have any right wing in Ireland, not even a single right wing media outlet in print or broadcasting

All of the political parties espouse more public spending and a bigger state, some more than others.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    In what way?

How are Sinn Fein far left?

Their economic policies are your typical marxist "tax the rich, give to the poor". I remember reading their policy and I would have been taxed at over 90%. (This was a few years ago, maybe they've changed this now).

They do, or did, have a marxist private army (the IRA) who cooperated with other communist groups.

I can admit they they're getting softer as they go more mainstream and mature as a party.

Everything I mentioned was welfare related. You know this. You know it's true.
    Rather than admit it you went down the road of criminality in the traveling community.

Ok then. Yes there are many travellers in prison. Why?
    Because they break the law and are not contributing members of society.

Your tax pays for their prison stay. Then upon release your tax pays for their houses, healthcare etc etc.

But what's your point?
    I haven't defended welfare fraud.

But what's your point?
    I haven't defended welfare fraud.

Welfare fraud cheats us all. Obvious and unchecked welfare fraud even more so.

Don't forget to set your alarm clock for the morning. You need to put in those hours to keep the country afloat. Worker drones keeping the welfare payouts going.

• Advertisement

Welfare fraud cheats us all. Obvious and unchecked welfare fraud even more so.

Yes.
    I agree.
    What's your point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement