Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

How do we get this back?

That ship has sailed unfortunately. You get more numbers having box office extremists yelling across a room at each other, interrupted only by planted audience members shouting insults at the panel. Trending on Twitter is all that matters now to the executives, and a glorified version of the Jerry Springer show is what the public wants to see

Just watched that LLS clip and it made me nostalgic for old Ireland..

There was a gentleness to it.. everyone was mannerly, even in disagreement..

Yeah, if only we could get that back..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still see this out here. As someone said to me way back, the one thing you do not do on a small island is fall out with your neighbour as you have to live with them

After two years here I know what they mean ! You let things pass that elsewhere would not be allowed. No shouting matches. A quiet veneer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Yep, the right to freedom of expression exists. “Hate speech” on the other hand, is just an attempt to condemn people for expressing themselves. Take for example your earlier nonsense -

This was standard fare for the Late Late Show in Ireland in 1985 -

And Part 2:

A discussion of that nature and as frank and open as that simply wouldn’t happen today. Instead we get American style “tv debates” that are just overgrown children sniping at each other to score points :rolleyes:

Hate speech is just people expressing themselves?

Would you ever

some neck accusing anyone of nonsense. Do you read your posts before hitting submit? You really should

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The media ended up raising his profile but that sure as hell wasn't what they intended, they lit on him like vultures following his traveller comments and tore strips off him for a week prior to polling day.

If you think the media here set out to demonise travellers during the casey saga, you really misread the entire controversy and just do not understand the Irish media.

They built him up by accident

The Irish media didn’t build Casey up by accident any more than they built Cash up to be a hero. The media are quite aware of how both would be perceived as divisive figures who would rile people up and get people to turn on each other. It generates revenue for them.

If you imagine that Casey wasn’t aware of the consequences of his comments about travellers and the popularity he would gain from making those comments, then I don’t know what to tell you because that’s exactly what politics is about - it’s easier to turn people against each other and blame each other, than it is to get people to work together. Casey pointing fingers at travellers was like shooting fish in a barrel, he knew well the reaction he’d get for it and he knew how popular he’d be for his politically correct opinions.

The media reside in their own bubble and are usually completely out of touch with how the majority think, they also attempt to shape public opinion

The media adore travellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The media ended up raising his profile but that sure as hell wasn't what they intended, they lit on him like vultures following his traveller comments and tore strips off him for a week prior to polling day.

If you think the media here set out to demonise travellers during the casey saga, you really misread the entire controversy and just do not understand the Irish media.

They built him up by accident

The Irish media didn’t build Casey up by accident any more than they built Cash up to be a hero. The media are quite aware of how both would be perceived as divisive figures who would rile people up and get people to turn on each other. It generates revenue for them.

If you imagine that Casey wasn’t aware of the consequences of his comments about travellers and the popularity he would gain from making those comments, then I don’t know what to tell you because that’s exactly what politics is about - it’s easier to turn people against each other and blame each other, than it is to get people to work together. Casey pointing fingers at travellers was like shooting fish in a barrel, he knew well the reaction he’d get for it and he knew how popular he’d be for his politically correct opinions.

The media reside in their own bubble and are usually completely out of touch with how the majority think, they also attempt to shape public opinion

The media adore travellers or at least the trendy cause that is travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Reaction from you first Father; shock, horror, amazement, outrage?
    Well, none of them Gay..

Twitter has much to learn from this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hate speech is just people expressing themselves?

Would you ever

some neck accusing anyone of nonsense. Do you read your posts before hitting submit? You really should

Yes, it’s people exercising their freedom of expression or their freedom of speech and saying things or expressing opinions that someone else doesn’t want to hear or doesn’t want other people to hear, so they try to have it classed as “hate speech”. “Hate speech” is as ridiculous as the idea of blasphemy, and yet here we are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Never read it in my life.

You perhaps, on the other hand, might read Karl Popper and Solzhenitsyn and others on the confluence of totalitarianism of left and right based on their view of humans as means not ends (maybe check out Kant actually) and that unborn children and those of the wrong race, class, religion can be liquidated for the common good.

That seems to be your tradition, comrade :)

Then your reading far far worse and not thinking for yourself. I would suggest you move away from the weird websites your on if you think lefties have similar views to Nazis. Do you stop random people in the street and accuse them of reading Karl Popper and Solzhenitsyn?.. I can only imagine there reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You read the Game of Thrones books.

Apologies for thinking I was talking to someone who might understand what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

CNN and FOX are equally biased.

I think CNN is worse.

My reasoning:

Fox think Biden, etc., are morons who don't live in the real world. Their coverage is mocking these people.

Yesterday CNN were saying Trump is worse than Hitler, Mao and Stalin combined. This is way worse and way more damaging than mocking. This sort of stuff is incredibly divisive and dangerous. Just like when they were pretending he's a Russian spy. That kind of thing could cause an assisination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Apologies for thinking I was talking to someone who might understand what I was talking about.

Yes there brilliant but not as good as the tv series, and your posts continue to get more and more childish

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes there brilliant but not as good as the tv series, and your posts continue to get more and more childish

Mod

Leave this thread and never ever ever return. For 2 days.

Less of the sniping at each other, everyone. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think CNN is worse.

My reasoning:

Fox think Biden, etc., are morons who don't live in the real world. Their coverage is mocking these people.

Yesterday CNN were saying Trump is worse than Hitler, Mao and Stalin combined. This is way worse and way more damaging than mocking. This sort of stuff is incredibly divisive and dangerous. Just like when they were pretending he's a Russian spy. That kind of thing could cause an assisination.

Don't forget that fact that they've literally just hired Andre McCabe, a man who was fired from his role in FBI for lying and leaking information to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

ADHD doesn't exist, it's a list of symptoms devised in the late '80s to sell medication to well kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

vriesmays wrote: »
    ADHD doesn't exist, it's a list of symptoms devised in the late '80s to sell medication to well kids.

I almost... agree with this. Or at least agree that there could be a delicious conspiracy here. Like the crazy scams, racketeering and insane stuff Insys Therapeutics etc pulled who would be surprised.

I mean I definitely had what would now be considered ADHD as a kid but back then I was just a mad little bastard and wasn’t allowed any e-numbers ha ha

Apparently the drum kit I was bought when I was 8 or so was ‘something you could get that fecking energy out on’. I remember getting in a lot of trouble doing things like cycling 6 miles without telling anyone to go look at the snes games in the video shop the next town over. I was just gone 6 at the time. On a motor way on a 16’ raleigh burner 😂🀣
    Went missing even younger than that going on adventures and was a hyperactive little **** ha ha

I guess now a kid like I was would be slapped with some sort of disorder and medicated, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I almost feel like the issue is we're trying to put everyone into the same box now.

If you could imagine 1000 years ago in rural Ireland, people living in villages. You needed a wide range of people -

The mad bastards who could be relied on to defend your village

The leadership types

The people good with their hands

The people good at thinking through the best way to do things

The workers who kept their mouth shut and did what they were told

The creative types who would invent things

And so on.

So we now think the mad bastards have something wrong with them, and try to medicate them or put them in therapy or whatever.

I feel like our education system needs to be totally overhauled so we're able to better spot who should be doing what. For example, lots of people aren't suited to just studying all day, so maybe these people should go down the trades route. Others should probably go down the military route. Others down the engineering route, etc. Kids should still be able to choose, but I see no point in forcing someone who hates study and can't study from being put in the same box as an engineering type. Same with the mad bastards. Don't put them on ADHD medicine - use their energy / madness in whatever way would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread closed because

-not lighthearted
    -not relevant to OP anymore
    -hard to tell what it is, but its not for AH.

For any of the current affairs mentioned in this thread, go to CA.

For any of the conspiracy theories put forward in this thread, go to CT.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement