Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,527 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That report is just a series of projections (they no longer use predictions) in case the temperatures rose by 1.5C. Was there no climate before 1950? why ever did they pick that year as a starting point?

I'd imagine that A, they had to start somewhere, B the level of data available since 1950 would understandably be much greater than before it and C, manufacturing, travel etc all exploded from 1950 onwards.
    jackboy wrote: »
    The section where they discuss the effects of 1.5 deg Celsius increase from pre industrial times. Predictions are not evidence. Also, Comparing weather events over a very short time period is clearly problematic. Especially, when accurate reliable measurements are not available.

Have you a body of scientists who state that this is the case with evidence to support their argument? Because one side does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'd imagine that A, they had to start somewhere, B the level of data available since 1950 would understandably be much greater than before it and C, manufacturing, travel etc all exploded from 1950 onwards.

Can you not see the problem with that?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You quoted my post but didn't answer my questions.

Nobody has answers to your questions. How could they at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I think it’s great the youth are in some way politicized, even if I doubt the integrity of their intentions in many instances.

But Jesus the absolute state of the accents they have these days, whether it be Cork or Galway or of course Dublin, it's one homogeneous lump of cringe.

Can you not see the problem with that?

Nope. I believe when such a large, international, qualified group of people can present evidence to support their case, and in the absence of counter evidence, why would I second guess them?

I don't go to the Dr and tell him how to treat me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Nobody has answers to your questions. How could they at this point?

The thing is, there could be no other outcome I was hoping someone might have a different conclusion. We are too dependent on fossil fuels and not everyone can afford a new car never mind a new electric car. Is the government going to hand them out?

If you are stinking rich you'll be grand but anyone lower like the normal working class and lower income people they will be screwed, food , fuel, travel , etc will sky rocket and harder to afford because of the carbon taxes that will be imposed. To me, unless someone can correct me which I hope they can, the future in this sh×thole looks bleak.

I don't go to the Dr and tell him how to treat me.

Well this switching off of the brain is the reason half the country is addicted to benzos.

Always keep your mind open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I think it’s great the youth are in some way politicized, even if I doubt the integrity of their intentions in many instances.

But Jesus the absolute state of the accents they have these days, whether it be Cork or Galway or of course Dublin, it's one homogeneous lump of cringe.
    I thought I was watching CNN earlier. Can they not hear themselves? You'd think they lived in San Francisco. Maybe they need to be shown a map, we are in Ireland a small island in Europe. Not California.

Why would anyone take them seriously when they can't even speak properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

joe40 wrote: »
    NASA, Royal Society of Chemistry, United Nations, countless universities and professors worldwide,(including Irish) all part of a massive global propaganda campaign.
    Sure what would they know.

If you read their reports from these organisations (the reputable ones anyway) you will see that no where is the alarmism attributed to them supported in their work. The alarmism is not being generated by the majority of scientists, it comes from the NGOs, the media and the green slime i.e. the cabal of billionaires, billionaire families, and retirement funds who are deeply invested in wind and solar ventures to harvest tax credits for more riches. The "green slime" is symbolic of the trail of money they leave in their wake for politicians and academics to feed off, who then become subservient to more slime from the billionaires. The green slime also fuels the well organised propaganda media campaigns through the multiple layers of non-profit organisations that can receive these tax-deductible donations.

Also realise the childrens climate protests are not the work of Greta Thunberg, the planning and organisation for them goes back to 2015. Climate change also ranks at the bottom of peoples concerns globally.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I thought I was watching CNN earlier. Can they not hear themselves? You'd think they lived in San Francisco. Maybe they need to be shown a map, we are in Ireland a small island in Europe. Not California.

Why would anyone take them seriously when they can't even speak properly?
    Who cares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

whats the story with greta s schooling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Climate change is definitely an issue, warming/pumping crap into the air/plastic in the oceans, but all this protesting nonsense is just manipulating children so certain virtue signalers Can pat themselves on the back.

Why not organise an annual week in which students/younger people can actually do something positive for the climate/earth? Organised tree plantings at schools/community greens/at local football pitch (not on the pitch :p), and they can have lessons about the topic in school.

I just cannot stand people who complain and moan and go to these protests and yet wouldn't dare lift a finger to actually do anything practical to remedy the situation, no matter how small.

Who cares?
    It's cringeworthy. So self loathing they can't even speak with an Irish accent. They sound ridiculous, it detracts from their message.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

It's cringeworthy. So self loathing they can't even speak with an Irish accent. They sound ridiculous, it detracts from their message.
    Why?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Climate change is definitely an issue, warming/pumping crap into the air/plastic in the oceans, but all this protesting nonsense is just manipulating children so certain virtue signalers Can pat themselves on the back.

Why not organise an annual week in which students/younger people can actually do something positive for the climate/earth? Organised tree plantings at schools/community greens/at local football pitch (not on the pitch :p), and they can have lessons about the topic in school.

I just cannot stand people who complain and moan and go to these protests and yet wouldn't dare lift a finger to actually do anything practical to remedy the situation, no matter how small.
    If parents chose not to buy plastic toys this Christmas that would be a positive thing.

Have you a body of scientists who state that this is the case with evidence to support their argument? Because one side does.

The temperature records for Europe, the USA and Australia go back to the 19th century. There is also the central England record that goes back further. Outside of those areas there is very little data available even today most of Africa reports no data and there are almost no records for the oceans which cover the bulk of the planets surface area.

If you are referring to the IPCC report, these are projections based on opinion they are not evidence since the events have not happened yet. The track record of successful predictions from scientists over the past 50 years is very poor.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

whats the story with greta s schooling ?

A question that should be directed to Gretas parents rather than this forum. Normally 16 years in Sweden will be attending highschool. Prior to this based on her Mothers book (only available in Swedish at this time) both her and her sister were attending a special needs school. Both of them manifest Aspergers and OCD behaviours, though based on a review of the mothers book by a Danish journalist, the outcome is probably driven by her mother who is struggling to cope.

Brendan O'Neil? Him of the infamous Irish Peasant stock interview? Seriously?

I'll take the scientists thanks.

A question that should be directed to Gretas parents rather than this forum. Normally 16 years in Sweden will be attending highschool. Prior to this based on her Mothers book (only available in Swedish at this time) both her and her sister were attending a special needs school. Both of them manifest Aspergers and OCD behaviours, though based on a review of the mothers book by a Danish journalist, the outcome is probably driven by her mother who is struggling to cope.

The actual answer is that Greta is on a years sabbatical from her schooling.

Some students do transition year, this one sailed to the US is leading global protests of several million people and has spoken to members of the US congress.

Not bad things to have on her CV are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I bet your grandfather's generation probably thinks you speak like a gobsh*te too though

The actual answer is that Greta is on a years sabbatical from her schooling.

Some students do transition year, this one sailed to the US is leading global protests of several million people and has spoken to members of the US congress.

Not bad things to have on her CV are they?

Yes it's not going to look good on her CV that she missed some school, while mobilising 100s of thousands worldwide and speaking at the UN.
    The faux concern for her on this thread is laughable. And all because they're afraid they might have a little less money one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

EE6oVzgWsAMQt1b?format=jpg&name=medium

Her first strike back in Aug 2018.

What a year she has had! Fair play.

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Her first strike back in Aug 2018.

What a year she has had! Fair play.

To be fair to her I hope good comes out of it for her and she can use it as a stepping stone to better and brighter things in future.

However do realise she is just a pawn in other peoples games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Strange comment... question should directed to her parents not the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If parents chose not to buy plastic toys this Christmas that would be a positive thing.

Would be hilarious to promote this and watch all the students suddenly stop caring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

To be fair to her I hope good comes out of it for her and she can use it as a stepping stone to better and brighter things in future.

Exactly. Some kids broke some trees outside my apartment last night.

Go greta imo.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would be hilarious to promote this and watch all the students suddenly stop caring

Yep, green Santa this Christmas, only wooden toys allowed.

Christmas is an absolute disgrace, the amount of disposable crap that is sold. I wish a politician would come out and condemn this type of consumerism, but anything anti business is political suicide unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Christmas is an absolute disgrace, the amount of disposable crap that is sold. I wish a politician would come out and condemn this type of consumerism, but anything anti business is political suicide unfortunately.

Well this is something real that every parent can do. No plastic toys. Protests outside the major toy shops too to shame who dares to enter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement