Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Is it just me or does a lot of the greta criticism come across very creepy? Real peado vibes emanating from some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

All of us are contributing to climate change, it's impossible not to. I'm not lecturing to anyone.

The climate has been changing since time began.

Google ice ages, might help you understand how we have no control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lola85 wrote: »

No thanks lola, I'll listen to the UN and NASA and the vast vast majority of scientists who tell us man is contributing greatly to global warming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Is it just me or does a lot of the greta criticism come across very creepy? Real peado vibes emanating from some of it.
    Other way round

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1175008787876503554

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I'd sooner ask what sort of individual would rather bend the knee and be in such adulation of a 16 year old girl and her words rather than a seasoned professional who has spent decades at the forefront of environmental causes. That seems a lot creepier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

No thanks lola, I'll listen to the UN and NASA and the vast vast majority of scientists who tell us man is contributing greatly to global warming

The vast majority of scientists do not tell us that man is contributing greatly to global warming. That myth has been long since debunked.

You would think with all this pollution humans wouldn’t be living longer than ever????????

And that’s it?

You won’t listen to any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well done on yet more repetition of the same sad cringeworthy comment that has been dragged up nth times...

But no - criticising the greta and friends dog and pony show is not the same as paedophilia. No matter how much **** smearing some is engaged in ...

Such comments give more away about those pushing that angle than anything else. Real fuking creepy indeed ...

Without googling or looking in to it further I'm pretty sure the two 'blokes' in that video love brexit and wouldn't be fond of foreigners neither. Innit.

• Advertisement

You would think with all this pollution humans wouldn’t be living longer than ever????????

Genuine question. Are you a bit simple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The one off housing everywhere though should never have happened, it has made too many people reliant on cars. Personally I would never live anywhere where I can't walk to a pub or a shop whenever I wanted.

There were/ are plenty of people living in rural Ireland who don't live in 'one off' housing. Traditionally that's where people lived before they moved towards cities like Dublin for work. Therein lies a problem, rural areas have shrinking services - it has been state policy for many years to centralise more and oblige people to travel to access services. The state argues this is more cost efficient. Large increases in fuel taxes will doubly penalise rural dwellers.

Always keep in mind the need of academics and scientists to find sources of funding for research, to keep themselves bankrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jackboy wrote: »
    The vast majority of scientists do not tell us that man is contributing greatly to global warming. That myth has been long since debunked.

I'll take some evidence of this please.

Brendan O'Neil. Get real man.

Thousands of scientists on one side, this charlatan on the other. Equal opportunity to speak does not equate to arguments being equal.

Rate. Of. Change.

Do you understand the context of this and how it is relevant in the current argument?

I'll take some evidence of this please.

You made the claim about what the majority of scientists are saying. It’s up to you to prove it.

Genuine question. Are you a bit simple?

Simple understanding of how the earth cools and heats up over millions of years.

Common sense.

But common sense isn’t so common it would seem.

Rate. Of. Change.

Do you understand the context of this and how it is relevant in the current argument?

Nope.

We had the coldest April last year in 100 years.

Winter is coming.

When we are all wearing hats and scarfs in December, come back with your nonsense about climate change.

jackboy wrote: »
    You made the claim about what the majority of scientists are saying. It’s up to you to prove it.

From NASA
    Scientific Consensus: Earth's Climate is Warming

Now, can you give me an example that the majority of scientists disagree with this seeing as you stated it.

Nope.

We had the coldest April last year in 100 years.

Winter is coming.

When we are all wearing hats and scarfs in December, come back with your nonsense about climate change.

Ah yes, the Donald Trump scientific approach to understanding the climate.

Fairly hard to argue with that of course.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the Donald Trump scientific approach to understanding the climate.

Fairly hard to argue with that of course.

Well if he’s as stupid as you think surely you have a credible argument?

Now, can you give me an example that the majority of scientists disagree with this seeing as you stated it.

I didn’t say that majority of scientists disagreed with that. I said that there is no evidence that the majority of scientists agreed with that. Those are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

I keep seeing variants of the following argument "The climate has been changing since time began" insinuating that the human impact on climate change is negligible or irrelevant or that it's even a hoax. This is a very strange argument since nobody with any credibility would dispute that.
    An extract from the following link https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page2.php might help to illustrate that point.

"As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming."

In brief it's the rate of change that is unprecedented. This would be a more useful starting point to base your arguments against the human impact on climate change.

From NASA

https://spectator.org/fake-science-on-climate-change-threatens-economic-and-civil-freedoms/

We can all play that game.

“The problem with allowing politics to intrude in a matter of science and objective truth is that people get hurt, get diseased, and die.… 4.3 million people a year in developing countries die because they can’t turn on an electrical cooker, so they have smoke-filled huts because they cook on open fires, and the particular pollution kills their children and often kills them too. 4.3 million a year. That’s very nearly one Holocaust a year, just from that one cause of not having electricity, which the World Bank won’t give them”

Simple understanding of how the earth cools and heats up over millions of years.

Common sense.

But common sense isn’t so common it would seem.

That's a yes then. Fair enough.

https://spectator.org/fake-science-on-climate-change-threatens-economic-and-civil-freedoms/

We can all play that game.

“The problem with allowing politics to intrude in a matter of science and objective truth is that people get hurt, get diseased, and die.… 4.3 million people a year in developing countries die because they can’t turn on an electrical cooker, so they have smoke-filled huts because they cook on open fires, and the particular pollution kills their children and often kills them too. 4.3 million a year. That’s very nearly one Holocaust a year, just from that one cause of not having electricity, which the World Bank won’t give them”

We can yeah, I think NASA trumps a conservative mouthpiece however.

Well if he’s as stupid as you think surely you have a credible argument?

Yes, listen to the scientists.

Yes, listen to the scientists.

Scientists who claim it’s a myth.

I do listen to them also.

I listen to all sides.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    I keep seeing variants of the following argument "The climate has been changing since time began" insinuating that the human impact on climate change is negligible or irrelevant or that it's even a hoax. This is a very strange argument since nobody with any credibility would dispute that.
    An extract from the following link https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page2.php might help to illustrate that point.

"As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming."

In brief it's the rate of change that is unprecedented. This would be a more useful starting point to base your arguments against the human impact on climate change.

Seriously who the **** was around 1 million years ago holding a thermometer in the air?

• Advertisement

Scientists who claim it’s a myth.

I do listen to them also.

I listen to all sides.

So, evidence of this please?

I'm sure you'll find them, I just think they will be vastly outweighed by the numbers saying action needs to be taken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement