Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

mooreman09 wrote: »
    What have posh liberals got to do with it? Are you intimidated because some people you know that are more successful than you have these opinions?

I don't get the Posh Liberal comment? Explain?
    More successful than me? Laughable stuff. It's mostly children from wealthy backgrounds in Dublin and their parents involved here. Inherited wealth doesn't make someone more successful than someone else.

Why would I be intimidated by these people? You couldn't gather up a less intimidating bunch if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think anyone in Fox News can connect the dots here........

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1175025503855665152?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

There's no public transport because it's impossible to provide public transport to one off housing scattered all over the place
    So why push these people to give up their cars if you refuse to provide public transport then? Because you don't give a toss about people outside the cities and neither do these protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So why push these people to give up their cars if you refuse to provide public transport then? Because you don't give a toss about people outside the cities and neither do these protestors.

Who's being pushed to give up their cars? I mean what do you expect, Luas lines in Achill? We need to move away from private cars as much as possible ideally. The cities are absolutely clogged with them. I wouldn't worry about this though, car is king in Ireland and it's not changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

More successful than me? Laughable stuff. It's mostly children from wealthy backgrounds in Dublin and their parents involved here. Inherited wealth doesn't make someone more successful than someone else.

Why would I be intimidated by these people? You couldn't gather up a less intimidating bunch if you tried.

Personally, my family is based in kildare and the kids are as involved there. I'm sure many others here are from varied areas and backgrounds. You're delusional if you think its a wealthy Dublin thing.

Nothing to do with Ranelagh. Or wealth.

Just a nice ambiguous argument for your sort.

What's your issue with environmentalism? Do you have similar issues with vaccination by any chance?

If these carbon taxes were cost neutral, eg a reduction in income tax or vat. Would you still be against changes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Hold on, people were jumping up and down (rightly imo) when Trump said climate change was crap because it of the freakishly good Summer last year.

But if your side takes a freak weather event and uses it for your stance, then that's gold and good?

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yep. We 100% have to have a lower standard of living, that's if you value your life by GDP and things you can buy and eat. It is not sustainable the way we're doing things.

Drop first world living standards down a lot and raise third world standards up a little. That seems to be what utopian snake oil salesmen are trying to sell. We are at the cusp of the greatest wealth, land and power grab ever and it's being sold as being for our own good,.the greatest con job in history.

Drop first world living standards down a lot and raise third world standards up a little.

Yes, that's probably the best thing we could do for the planet, some kind of equilibrium! You're finally getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Drop first world living standards down a lot and raise third world standards up a little.

Best to stop curing diseases and spreading info on sanitation too. Think of the carbon savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Was there any protests over the summer or do they only take place during school terms?

• Advertisement

Hold on, people were jumping up and down (rightly imo) when Trump said climate change was crap because it of the freakishly good Summer last year.

But if your side takes a freak weather event and uses it for your stance, then that's gold and good?

Huh?

Gees, you really need it spelled out don't you.

It's no longer a freak weather event. Such event are becoming more and more frequent as a result of the continuous impact of climate change. That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1175025503855665152?s=19

Fox news really are a joke. We can complain about our media, but nothing comes close to the stupidity and bias you get with fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Gees, you really need it spelled out don't you.

It's no longer a freak weather event. Such event are becoming more and more frequent as a result of the continuous impact of climate change. That's the point.

Of course the climate is changing, it has done ever since earth was created 4 billion years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

The youth of today have proven how concerned they are about our planet. They put anyone 30+ to shame and are far more intelligent and engaged than any of us were at that age.

Also the youth of today:

491141.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The youth of today have proven how concerned they are about our planet. They put anyone 30+ to shame and are far more intelligent and engaged than any of us were at that age.

Also the youth of today:

491141.jpg

The youth of today are like the adults of today. A fairly mixed bunch. That is why raising awareness and changing attitudes is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'm confused (see atchment) , is this protester protesting the protestors behind her, due to their hugh waste of paper damaging the environment? :)

Are all these protestors planning on walking/cycling to school form now on? Or still going in their SUVs,

Are they reducing there meat intake, abandoning there gadgets and technologies, TV, game consoles phones?

Are they planning to avoid air travel, j1 visas etc, holidays abroad, disco ering they world after 1 year in a job after collage?

No they are not, the 9nly thing happening here is they are being prepared to gladly accept all the co2 taxes later in life without question for their masters:o

Anyway... After all this has died down, I must get back later to a few posters about potential actions that might make some tiny differences.

How come the people protesting about climate change also support mass immigration, which brings 3rd world low carbon people into our 1st world high carbon society. Shouldn’t they be protesting against immigration. Also why do they denounce nuclear power even though it’s far and away the lowest carbon most powerful power source ?

Will these students pledge not to go take up j1 visas or go traveling “to find themselves”. Will they give up their devices which require rare earth materials and have a massive carbon footprint. Will they not have children so as to save the planet ? Will they give up flying on holidays with Mammy and Daddy ? ..... of course they fcuking won’t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

lola85 wrote: »
    Of course the climate is changing, it has done ever since earth was created 4 billion years ago.

You need re-education! :mad: Extreme weather events began with the invention of the internal combustion engine. Up to that point it was all serene!

I enjoy the protest because sooner or later they are going to stick a mic under the gob of some hysterical teenage mentalist girl who will declare that the planet has only 20 years left. This is Grade A 'Reeling in the Years' closing statement material up there with Charlie H's tighten the belts and Bertie's soft landing.

• Advertisement

So some people in their 20s and 30s and 40s leave tents at a festival and this means no one cares about the environment?
    I am pro nuclear, so I don't know why people assume loony left eco warriors like myself are against nuclear power.
    Nuclear power could never happen in a million years in Ireland due to NIMBYism etc. We can't even build bus lanes without people going nuts never mind nuclear power plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's no longer a freak weather event. Such event are becoming more and more frequent as a result of the continuous impact of climate change.

No evidence for this. The climate has been really stable in recent years with few real ‘freak’ events. Massive populations of humans have moved into flood plains and built inappropriate homes. This has guaranteed many catastrophes.

jackboy wrote: »
    No evidence for this. The climate has been really stable in recent years with few real ‘freak’ events. Massive populations of humans have moved into flood plains and built inappropriate homes. This has guaranteed many catastrophes.

Is section 3.3 of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report from October 8th last not sufficient evidence for you, or do you have a preferred academic report which you prefer as opposed to this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

mooreman09 wrote: »
    For what Its worth. I think its brilliant that kids are being educated on this and being encouraged to get involved.

How do I get educated on this and how do I get involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'm curious about this climate action these kids etc want. So if they get their way does this mean our freedoms are going to be reduced?

Petrol and diesel suddenly shoot up in price to unaffordable levels, cost of everything going up ? Most people won't be able to afford a rip off electric car.

Also air travel will only be affordable for the rich? Would this country just end up being just for the rich? What's the outcome for all this anyone predict?

I can see the Greens going to get landslide elections with these up and coming kids when they can vote.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I'm curious about this climate action these kids etc want. So if they get their way does this mean our freedoms are going to be reduced?

Petrol and diesel suddenly shoot up in price to unaffordable levels, cost of everything going up ? Most people won't be able to afford a rip off electric car.

Also air travel will only be affordable for the rich? Would this country just end up being just for the rich? What's the outcome for all this anyone predict?

I can see the Greens going to get landslide elections with these up and coming kids when they can vote.

The kids don't have any idea on what an improved world would mean. How could they?

What they know is that action is required. If your car is giving you trouble, you don't wait until you know how exactly to fix it yourself before you call a mechanic.

What the kids do know is that action is required. That much is beyond doubt to most people at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The kids don't have any idea on what an improved world would mean. How could they?

What they know is that action is required. If your car is giving you trouble, you don't wait until you know how exactly to fix it yourself before you call a mechanic.

What the kids do know is that action is required. That much is beyond doubt to most people at this point.

You quoted my post but didn't answer my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Is section 3.3 of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report from October 8th last not sufficient evidence for you, or do you have a preferred academic report which you prefer as opposed to this one?

That report is just a series of projections (they no longer use predictions) in case the temperatures rose by 1.5C. Was there no climate before 1950? why ever did they pick that year as a starting point?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    How do I get educated on this and how do I get involved?

This isn't a bad place to start.

10 simple ways to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭jackboy

The section where they discuss the effects of 1.5 deg Celsius increase from pre industrial times. Predictions are not evidence. Also, Comparing weather events over a very short time period is clearly problematic. Especially, when accurate reliable measurements are not available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement