Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options
1317318319320321323»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'd be more "worried about the Mental Health of this young lady to be honest,or more correctly how that issue is effecting this "campaign" that she fronts-up.

There are far more demanding and immediate issues for Ms Thunberg than the environmental one's that her focus has been directed to...:(

What an odd way to dismiss her activism. Another person who would see someone campaigning for refugee rights and ask why they wouldn't bring them into their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do you see the hypocrisy here? You have spent the thread attacking the messenger that human action needs to change in order to protect the environment. You have used or at least agreed with several different angles trying to undermine the message which Greta is communicating.
    Positive action needs to happen.
    That is Greta's message. Maybe stop trying to shoot the messenger yourself.

See the hypocrisy? - the above comment (similar to others) is a generalised attack of anyone or anything you dont agree with...

Again greta does not equal climate change. She is not 'global warming' and no-one needs absolutely no-one needs to be a greta groupie to believe in anything.

What we have established is that she is an alarmist of the worst kind which has only further polarised the issue and frankly made even more people sceptical about the whole thing.

And lol no thats not my list. Thats simply more of usual generalised throwing ****e at anyone involved in the discussion

Greta is a typical teenager-albeit one who is telling us she is a saint and the rest of us are sinners or wtte. Putting her up on some type of pedestal where absolutely no comment or criticism is allowed is well frankly well just bizarre and embarrassing to the adults that greta seems to believe are her personal enemy. You know the ones who ruined her childhood or wtte.

Maybe stop trying to shoot everyone else and look to your own comments?

What an odd way to dismiss her activism. Another person who would see someone campaigning for refugee rights and ask why they wouldn't bring them into their own home.

What an odd way to dismiss someones comment?

With yet another great leap of logic from aligning not being a greta fan to that somehow equates to being some kind of ogre!

:D

burn-them-5b8d3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I have to say I find the obsession some of the men on here have with this teenager girl to be borderline creepy.

I have to say I find the obsession some of the men on here have with this teenager girl to be borderline creepy.

Pint man - well to be fair its a thread about gretas travels across the globe etc

If you mean the apparent worshipping of same I would certainly agree with you.

Meanwhile elsewhere on boards 'men' and not be partisan or sexist I'd presume women are 'obsessing over Peter Casey, Maria Bailey and Seamus Mallon to name just a few . Very troubling obsession stuff altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's mainly (edit, I suppose perhaps "partly" is more appropriate!) weather forum people with somewhat unorthodox opinions about climate change bucking the scientific consensus. Greta really gets their goat preaching + being paid attention to by the media (they are no doubt older & better educated than her...) and this forum probably has higher traffic and allows a greater audience for their "wisdom".

Although the thread was started by a poster who if IRC also began the "Vladimir Putin Appreciation Thread" back in the mists of time. Ironic that Russia may be a gainer from a warmer world (if they can beat back the other desperate and well armed + well populated nations that will be suffering badly & may want a piece of their largely empty territory).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

She and her subjects have entered the political arena . If she can’t stand the heat;) then the political arena is not the place for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Toxic white masculinity is something that needs to be eradicated if there is going to be climate justice. It was white men that started the industrial revolution that led us to where we are today, they caused the climate emergency. Toxic white men have also invented the vast majority of things that have caused the climate emergency, everything from the internal combustion engine to the turbines in coal burning power stations. Toxic white men perfected oil refining and white men mined the coal. I feel intense shame as a white man, now is the time for climate justice...XR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭jackboy

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I feel intense shame as a white man, now is the time for climate justice...XR

Maybe you should consider counseling to evaluate these negative thoughts that you are experiencing.

Also, I’m sure some other races would object to your opinions that all modern advancements were developed by white men.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

https://youtu.be/UWahKIG4BE4

If you fancy Greta , don't watch this video .

If you want to stop being a " sheep " , watch this video .

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider counseling to evaluate these negative thoughts that you are experiencing.

Also, I’m sure some other races would object to your opinions that all modern advancements were developed by white men.

Well the Chinese invented firearms. Firearms logically = population reduction so how did they contribute to the climate emergency? What I am trying to say is the climate emergency is a direct result of the industrial revolution that started in western Europe and was pushed almost exclusively by white men. If society remained feudal and agrarian we wouldn't be where we are today. You can't disagree with the facts.

The link between toxic masculinity and the climate emergency are well established. Sexism and climate change are inextricably linked. Eminent scholars and all right thinking people agree. The facts are the facts.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/man-made-crisis-toxic-masculinity-drives-climate-change-say-uk-artists/

Very odd thing I was reading recently about the whole school strik and it appears that the School strike movement existed well before greta et al turned up and stated skiping school. This is the gist of it.

According to her own accounts greta started skipping school back in August 2018 after attending a meeting with other activists organised by Bo Thoren of Fossil Free Dalsland who suggested people do things to help promote climate change including the general idea of a school strike . Greta is on record stating that she liked the idea and was inspired to start a school strike as shown by students in the US school strikes of shootings in the US. As it turned out - no one else was interested so she decided to go it alone.

Greta is now widely accredited as the founder of the school strike movement. However the thing is that there was already a well organised school strike movement for climate change in existence set up in 2015 some three years earlier than gretas school strike

https://web.archive.org/web/20150904001014/https://www.climatestrike.net/get-involved/
    Climate Strike
    At the Global Youth Summit in May 2015, we came up with the idea of a global school strike for climate action.

We have seen our politicians not doing their homework for years. They promised to avoid dangerous climate change, but they never delivered.

After a few meetings with participants from five continents it became clear that a global school strike would have transformative power by bringing thousands – or even millions – into an empowering global network while acting locally.

https://www.climatestrike.net/#about

The new movement asked young people to
    Organize a climate strike action in your own school or town!

Tbh - lots of it sounds very familiar tbh
    Skip school. Organize a climate event...
    The adult generations have promised to stop the climate crisis,but they have skipped their homework year after year.
    Climate strike is a wake-up call to our own generation...

All excellent stuff with the exception of asking people to skip school imo.

But it does make me wonder what do the original organisers of this movement think about being ignored for their efforts with others given the limelight especially considering it is international in its organisation and apparently very well set up.

Scroll down for the nine kids who actually started the school strike movement for climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What does Greta think about the national broadband strategy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

What does Greta think about the national broadband strategy?
    Has she heard their music ?;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Very odd thing I was reading recently about the whole school strike thing was the School strike movement existed well before greta et al turned up and stated mitching school.

According to her own accounts greta started skipping school back in August 2018 after attending a meeting with other activists organised by Bo Thoren of Fossil Free Dalsland who suggested people do things to help promote climate change including the general idea of a school strike . Greta is on record stating that she liked the idea and was inspired to start a school strike as shown by students in the US school strikes of shootings in the US. As it turned out - no one else was interested so she decided to go it alone.

Greta is now widely accredited as the founder of the school strike movement. However the thing is that there was already a well organised school strike movement for climate change in existence set up in 2015 some three years earlier than gretas school strike

https://web.archive.org/web/20150904001014/https://www.climatestrike.net/get-involved/

The new movement asked young people to

Tbh - lots of it sounds very familiar tbh

All excellent stuff with the exception of asking people to skip school imo.

But it does make me wonder what do the original organisers of this movement think about being ignored for their efforts with others given the limelight. I'm also surprised that Bo Thoren as a climate change activist himself or anyone else didnt know about the existing school strike movement which was international in its organisation and apparently very well set up.

Scroll down for the nine kids who actually started the school strike movement for climate change

Let me get this right here.. Are you trying to accuse Greta of being a part of an astroturfing campaign that didn't take off for three years until she got involved? Is that your accusation? You think the brave young woman doesn't have a mind of her own and was shoehorned into a dead campaign so it could take off and she could become its figurehead. Outrageous conspiracy theories.

The link between toxic masculinity and the climate emergency are well established. Sexism and climate change are inextricably linked. Eminent scholars and all right thinking people agree. The facts are the facts.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/04/man-made-crisis-toxic-masculinity-drives-climate-change-say-uk-artists/

Ffs. Scholars?

Giving birth and climate change are inextricably linked. This is fact, but you don't get people blaming women for it, rightly.

Let me get this right here.. Are you trying to accuse Greta of being a part of an astroturfing campaign that didn't take off for three years until she got involved? Is that your accusation? You think the brave young woman doesn't have a mind of her own and was shoehorned into a dead campaign so it could take off and she could become its figurehead. Outrageous conspiracy theories.

:D

Lol. To be concise Paddy - no.

Something I read online. Thought I'd share!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: This thread was over 10k posts (including deleted posts) so I've set up a new thread and moved the last few pages of posts there.

Please continue the discussion here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058049091

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement