Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jackboy wrote: »
    Well this is something real that every parent can do. No plastic toys. Protests outside the major toy shops too to shame who dares to enter.

Yeah but they wont if everyone else is buying them for their kids. All this plastic crap made in China that we buy here in Ireland. Then you have everyone blaming China for emissions. Who's fuelling their economy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I bet your grandfather's generation probably thinks you speak like a gobsh*te too though
    At least I sound Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Christmas is an absolute disgrace, the amount of disposable crap that is sold. I wish a politician would come out and condemn this type of consumerism, but anything anti business is political suicide unfortunately.

If only everyone could live in carbon neutral misery at Christmas like yourself. A tepid bowl of lentil soup and a copy of the communist manifesto read by candlelight, that's what Christmas should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If only everyone could live in carbon neutral misery at Christmas like yourself. A tepid bowl of lentil soup and a copy of the communist manifesto read by candlelight, that's what Christmas should be.

You wouldn't happen to think there is any room for a middle ground between the flaccid experience you describe here and the rampant display of excess and consumerism which Christmas has become for many no? No middle ground at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You wouldn't happen to think there is any room for a middle ground between the flaccid experience you describe here and the rampant display of excess and consumerism which Christmas has become for many no? No middle ground at all?

Well if the government and kids get their way the above scenario in Ireland will be the future for most people.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well if the government and kids get their way the above scenario in Ireland will be the future for most people.

Really? What evidence is there that this is what they want to happen?

Evidence now please, not a strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness buying piles of crap at Christmas doesn’t make anyone happier or add anything to the experience. Even children just play with the plastic crap a couple of times before kicking it around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

jackboy wrote: »
    Well this is something real that every parent can do. No plastic toys. Protests outside the major toy shops too to shame who dares to enter.

Kids playing when they should be wallowing in climate anxiety, enough is enough.

• Incredible turnout all over the world.

Greta is among the most influential people of the 21st century.

Fair ****s to her.

Really? What evidence is there that this is what they want to happen?

Evidence now please, not a strawman argument.

So what do you think is going to happen when fossil fuels that we are so dependent on goes through the roof when taxes are added year after year?

• Advertisement

So what do you think is going to happen when fossil fuels that we are so dependent on goes through the roof when taxes are added year after year?

People wont make unnecessary car journeys and will fly less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

btw well done on the thread title, it's really good, not just funny but captures the essence of the farce.
    Incredible turnout all over the world.

Greta is among the most influential people of the 21st century.

Fair ****s to her.

Really, so what does Greta Thunberg bring to the table that noone else does?

Fair what to her? I would be among the most influential people of the 21st century if they gave me the same spotlight.

Greta Thunberg is actually more like an experiment to show how dumb the public is - that no matter how lacking of qualifications, life experience or anyone else a person has, that all they need is media coverage and political platforms and they'll be praised by the public, without ever actually DOING anything.

btw well done on the thread title, it's really good, not just funny but captures the essence of the farce.

Really, so what does Greta Thunberg bring to the table that noone else does?

Fair what to her? I would be among the most influential people of the 21st century if they gave me the same spotlight.

Greta Thunberg is actually more like an experiment to show how dumb the public is - that no matter how lacking of qualifications, life experience or anyone else a person has, that all they need is media coverage and political platforms and they'll be praised by the public, without ever actually DOING anything.

That's the difference between you and her. You think someone 'gave' her the spotlight. She made the world pay attention to what she was doing. Massive difference.

People wont make unnecessary car journeys and will fly less?

So middle class people will gradually lose their freedom then and the rich will be all fine.

Thank god I can claim a usa passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

That's the difference between you and her. You think someone 'gave' her the spotlight. She made the world pay attention to what she was doing. Massive difference.

You know her parents are multi millionaires and climate change activists?

This agenda was pushed on her, her parents have a lot to answer for.

So middle class people will gradually lose their freedom then and the rich will be all fine.

Thank god I can claim a usa passport.

Why would you want to live in that hole?
    But no, maybe we'd design our towns and cities for people instead of for cars, and wouldn't need as much fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I assume this means the end of the school traffic now in the mornings. I mean obviously these kids are gonna be walking/cycling/organising buses etc.? No more getting dropped off at the door by parents? :pac:

I assume this means the end of the school traffic now in the mornings. I mean obviously these kids are gonna be walking/cycling/organising buses etc.? No more getting dropped off at the door by parents? :pac:

It's the parents fault that they are driven to school in SUVs, not the kids.

No she didn't. She doesn't possess any talents above that of a normal schoolgirl. Plenty of her have come and gone or are the same age of her and yet haven't been given any spotlight, people just as passionate, just as active and just as or more eloquent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

So some people in their 20s and 30s and 40s leave tents at a festival and this means no one cares about the environment?
    I am pro nuclear, so I don't know why people assume loony left eco warriors like myself are against nuclear power.
    Nuclear power could never happen in a million years in Ireland due to NIMBYism etc. We can't even build bus lanes without people going nuts never mind nuclear power plants!

Several European countries have banned the building of nuclear power stations while several others including the continents largest industrial nation, Germany are phasing out theirs so obviously public opinion is far from favourable. I would have been more against nuclear power 20 years ago than I am now but I don't think it's the silver bullet some regard it.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    You know her parents are multi millionaires and climate change activists?

This agenda was pushed on her, her parents have a lot to answer for.

I can't even begin to imagine how proud they must be of their girl

What the hell is a SUV? We use the term 4x4.

By the way, what are you using to type on boards?

I phone, tablet, laptop? That came from China the biggest polluter in the world.

Put your device down if you really care about “climate change”

You hypocrite.

Why would you want to live in that hole?
    But no, maybe we'd design our towns and cities for people instead of for cars, and wouldn't need as much fuel.

I'm over there quite a bit, I actually like it. A lot of family there. Maybe it's a hole but it won't be as big hole this place will become.

That sounds great for towns, did you forget about rural people?

By the way, what are you using to type on boards?

I phone, tablet, laptop?

Put your device down if you really care about “climate change”

I'm partaking in current society. If I wore a potato sack and lived in a cave you'd mock me for that too.

I'm over there quite a bit, I actually like it. A lot of family there. Maybe it's a hole but it won't be as big hole this place will become.

That sounds great for towns, did you forget about rural people?

What does rural people mean? Farmers? Yes they probably need to drive around and live on the land.
    The one off housing everywhere though should never have happened, it has made too many people reliant on cars. Personally I would never live anywhere where I can't walk to a pub or a shop whenever I wanted.

I'm partaking in current society. If I wore a potato sack and lived in a cave you'd mock me for that too.

So you are contributing to climate change yet lecturing others.

Weldone.

Well you just answered your own question didn't you?

So you are contributing to climate change yet lecturing others.

Weldone.

All of us are contributing to climate change, it's impossible not to. I'm not lecturing to anyone.

• Advertisement

Never heard anyone call an SUV a '4x4'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement