Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

this is it the kids are laughing.

i heard a goon of a teacher on the radio talking about tomorrow's "strike" and how the kids are using their "climate anxiety" to speak to power. Pure cult stuff.

There is nothing new about this. Back in the day when I was in secondary school we got the unoriginal idea of taking part in a 'world peace' anti-neuclear protest march. I can't even remember who organised it. It was only a half day off school but isn't half a loaf better than no bread.

(We didn't achieve our secondary objective of world peace but we certainly achieved our main objective of half a day off school and had great craic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Best of luck to all taking part today in getting your message out. Looks like Greta's influence is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

NGOs using lawfare to control government policy failed yesterday in one of their court cases, though they still have an appeal for legal aid outstanding which if granted could set a precedent to give NGOs access to tax payer funds to harass the government in their attempts to impose their agendas on Irish citizens whatever their merits. There is also a court case in the EU against the classification of biomass (trees in particular) as renewable. It is unfortunate for Gretas home country that biomass burning results in 65% more CO2 emissions than coal and 285% more CO2 emissions than natural gas

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Morning Ireland rolled out a couple of children this morning to promote the abandonment of school lessons today. They admitted to being influenced by Greta and what they have read on "social media" and used all the cliched language they've read online to promote the "cause".

Children and teenagers are so naive these days. Every aspect of their lives is controlled by "social media" and they are so easily brainwashed and led by so-called "influencers".

Best of luck to all taking part today in getting your message out. Looks like Greta's influence is working.

It might, when they have to walk to school because their parents can't afford the increased energy bills, but it looks like we are getting the boiling frog treatment.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

dubdaymo wrote: »
    Children and teenagers are so naive these days. Every aspect of their lives is controlled by "social media" and they are so easily brainwashed and led by so-called "influencers".

It's not only the children the adults are as well. The next round of cost push inflation may force their parents who pay the bills to re-evaluate their virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ahh takes me back i remember been on antii trident protests when i was at college

Didnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Has no-one done any proper research on the cycles of Earths variable climate?

Try this:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_glaciation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

theres no grant/research money or carbon taxes in that!

Natural causes of climate change are specifically excluded from the inter-governmental panel on climate change (IPCC) brief and as a result almost all climate research funding and scientific investigation is diverted to projecting catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

isnt it an individual responsibility to reduce reuse and recycle. how can the gov change things its up to consumers. Id like to see these protestors life style and purchases and aee if its in line with their protests.

It so annoys me these people lile Prince Harry telling us how to live.

Do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

These kids are part of the world put upon them by adults. So yes the grown men in here outwitting all these kids by saying they have iphones and getting brought to school in SUVs may be really clever, but its hardly the kids fault theyre part of this destructive society. If this leads to the kids living a somewhat greener lifestyle and being more conscious of their wanton consumption throughout their lives then it can only be a good thing to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

this is it the kids are laughing.

i heard a goon of a teacher on the radio talking about tomorrow's "strike" and how the kids are using their "climate anxiety" to speak to power. Pure cult stuff.
    These kids are part of the world put upon them by adults. So yes the grown men in here outwitting all these kids by saying they have iphones and getting brought to school in SUVs may be really clever, but its hardly the kids fault theyre part of this destructive society. If this leads to the kids living a somewhat greener lifestyle and being more conscious of their wanton consumption throughout their lives then it can only be a good thing to protest.

You have to wonder when government, media and state institutions (schools etc) all sing from the same hymn sheet.It is a social engineering campaign and they are using kids as a front to stifle criticism and heavily brainwashing them using religious tactics and fanatical language so they will accept a reduction in freedom and a lower standard of living when they become adults.

You have to wonder when government, media and state institutions (schools etc) all sing from the same hymn sheet.It is a social engineering campaign and they are using kids as a front to stifle criticism and heavily brainwashing them using religious tactics and fanatical language so they will accept a reduction in freedom and a lower standard of living when they become adults.

Yep. We 100% have to have a lower standard of living, that's if you value your life by GDP and things you can buy and eat. It is not sustainable the way we're doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

I passed one of the protests at lunch. Saw a (presumably) teacher handing out placards to a line of her students. Handy half day for the schools I suppose, they'll deffo beat the traffic home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder will they be so smart when they get older and have to start paying for all this guff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

I wonder will they be so smart when they get older and have to start paying for all this guff

Reminds me of the students unions in colleges who protest that the politicians in power are not doing enough.......funnily enough most of the politicians in power are ex student union members lol lol....

Great example of Sexual Profiling there Thelonious Monk,

Did you cycle to school/work today? or drive a car?, or take a bus?

Or are you just another ArmChair Critic/Keyboard Warrior?

( No insult intended )

Great example of Sexual Profiling there Thelonious Monk,

Did you cycle to school/work today? or drive a car?, or take a bus?

Or are you just another ArmChair Critic/Keyboard Warrior?

( No insult intended )

I always cycle, 10k each way. Why?

The poor craters . . . never had it so bad, what with their iphones and SUVs, burdened with the weight of these existential problems and never having to worry about where their next meal comes from. T'was different in my day.

Famine_victims_ireland_Great_Hunger.jpg

Would school attendees prefer to go back to a time and economy when the climate was perfect, their clothes were made from natural fibres (all hand washed), when the population was nearly twice what is is today and most of the population ate whole foods and lived a bucolic lifestyle and most homes were heated with biomass. That is the green dream and we left it behind. I'm damn grateful I live in 2019 Ireland and practically all of those children from the 19th & 20th century (who survived) would gladly swap places with todays children.

Even the poorest of todays children have access to possibilities now and in the future that are beyond the wildest dreams of their ancestors. Warmer weather does not even register as an issue compared to the events from our history, it is the adults that are warping their perceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

The poor craters . . . never had it so bad, what with their iphones and SUVs, burdened with the weight of these existential problems and never having to worry about where their next meal comes from. T'was different in my day.

Would school attendees prefer to go back to a time and economy when the climate was perfect, their clothes were made from natural fibres (all hand washed), when the population was nearly twice what is is today and most of the population ate whole foods and lived a bucolic lifestyle and most homes were heated with biomass. That is the green dream and we left it behind. I'm damn grateful I live in 2019 Ireland and practically all of those children from the 19th & 20th century (who survived) would gladly swap places with todays children.

Even the poorest of todays children have access to possibilities now and in the future that are beyond the wildest dreams of their ancestors. Warmer weather does not even register as an issue compared to the events from our history, it is the adults that are warping their perceptions.

Even for a thread like this, this post is just nauseating strawman wankery. This has nothing to do with anything related to Greta Thunberg or climate activism. Reads more like emotional appeal propaganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Even for a thread like this, this post is just nauseating strawman wankery. This has nothing to do with anything related to Greta Thunberg or climate activism. Reads more like emotional appeal propaganda

Supports Greta. Calls out another poster for "emotional appeal propaganda".

Thats an F- in self awareness.

So all you think we can carry on as is and the earth will be just fine or what?

Funny,

There have been Major climatic events since the planets surface cooled,
    But it is only since a poor Autistic child is being paraded as another Joan of Arc type figure, that this has become an issue?

Shame on the parents for pushing Greta into this position!!
    How do you think she will feel in 10 years time when this fad has passed?
    You did'nt, Did you??

sk8erboii wrote: »

Emotional appeal is the entire basis of Greta Thunberg. The children on todays marches are protesting about first world problems, It is just virtue signalling it involves no sacrifice on their part (apart from missing Maths and Irish). They don't care about the sacrifices made to get them on social media and why should they? Lets see them make a difference and give up their batteries until the children of the Congo get an education like they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

In Ireland what is mind boggingly hypocritical is that the majority of climate change protesters out there today own or make use of cars on a regular basis.

Which is hard to blame them since Ireland is one of the most car-reliant societies in the world, with next to no adequate public transport.

This lack of public transport is the biggest climate change issue in Ireland, but is raised by almost no one, and of course will not have any government reaction.

The ultimate wanting to care about something but unable or unwilling to address the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Jaysis - there are some clowns on here. Between right wing loonies, Hippies, Conspiracy Theorists. Rambling about the Congo and straying so far off topic in order to prevent actual conversations.

No wonder nothing gets done - people are too selfish to reflect and concentrate on group goals.

Some people are beyond hope, hence big business and Govts ignore them - hence conspiracy theories as they feel marginalized and so on.

Cesspool

For what Its worth. I think its brilliant that kids are being educated on this and being encouraged to get involved.

Ha - such waffly nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Report in US yesterday that 30% of bird numbers in the states have disappeared in last 50 years. This thread is populated by many who think that's not a problem.

Think its fantastic to see reporters of millions of people at thousands of marches in a hundred countries demand action.

And for those who have claimed Greta was doing this for attention or is being manipulated, I hope he saw her at the select committee in the US this week. Her evidence was the IPCC report and when oil lobby supported politicians questioned her, she was able to give her view without looking lost or needing someone to tell her what to say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement