Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Busterie wrote: »
    I have just watched reports about the Fastnet race disaster which happened at this time of year when 19 experienced sailors died followiing a freak storm in the Atlantic.
    Now they are sending this child out in to the same potential diasaster area all for the sake of a bit of publicity.
    It is also clear that journalists are afraid to question her about her ideas for fear they be accused of bullyiing.
    These peole are masters at manipulating the press.

Hey if you want to see what masters at manipulation think of Greta.......

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/1161747086616010752?s=19

Then again, there seems to be a correlation between the whole Brexiteering/Trump supporting/Greta bashing frame of mind of some people.

Also, how is it clear journalists are afraid to question her?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Busterie wrote: »
    I have just watched reports about the Fastnet race disaster which happened at this time of year when 19 experienced sailors died followiing a freak storm in the Atlantic.

I think that this enterprise is a ridiculous stunt.

And of course, accidents and unforeseen happen. But they can happen anywhere, on planes, on trains etc.
    But a modern sailing yacht in the Atlantic should be safe (or rather is not taking egregious risks), especially given the advances in weather forecasting. In 1979 the forecasting could not detect the 'weather bomb' that wreaked such havoc on the race.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She symbolises the green movement. Well meaning but completely impractical.
    This is unfortunately true. I do think it's great that she's stirred the imagination of people, particularly the very young, but it's not where solutions come from.

Then again, there seems to be a correlation between the whole Brexiteering/Trump supporting/Greta bashing frame of mind of some people.

Also, how is it clear journalists are afraid to question her?
    I think you'll find that large chunks of this "correlation" are completely wrong. There's PR at work here. You embrace it as a positive, others are questioning it.

Its like that single British Green MP who seriously suggested all the women MPs get together to stop Brexit... Aside from the sexism, many of the orchestrators of brexit were women... How could someone be so blind?

Also the staunch anti nuclear power stance of these people when it is currently the only viable solution we have.

One of my good friends is heavily involved with the Greens here... Her heart is in the right place and I agree with the principles however the methods are madness... Unless you are poor and miserable it's no good. Of course she isn't poor and miserable herself...

Having grown up poor I can tell you it's overrated

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

And of course, accidents and unforeseen happen. But they can happen anywhere, on planes, on trains etc.
    But a modern sailing yacht in the Atlantic should be safe (or rather is not taking egregious risks), especially given the advances in weather forecasting. In 1979 the forecasting could not detect the 'weather bomb' that wreaked such havoc on the race.

I would suspect that if you are mid Atlantic and a big storm comes you have no way of avoiding it in a sailboat. I really hope she gets there OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Nermal wrote: »
    Because it's obvious she's being deliberately built up by the media.

The attention she gets is not 'organic', it's orchestrated. It helps the media in getting clicks from supporters and from detractors, and it helps manufacture consensus for an environmental agenda. It's transparent manipulation. Of course that will make people mad!

It's a bizarre phenomenon. Since when did we value the opinions of children?

We should be listening to their opinions, especially on climate change. They're the ones that will be feeling the full effects of it, not the boomers who will long be in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why One World Government conspiracy theories always pop up in environmental stunts?

A combination of shills, trolls and those who bought into it? Gotta hide that power level somehow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Wow, this post is perfect because it's exactly what I think a particular group type would think except I wouldn't have thought they'd post it.

You probably think this is going easy on her because if her autism.

Aspergers does not equal autism. Such an uneducated approach disgusts me

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is unfortunately true. I do think it's great that she's stirred the imagination of people, particularly the very young, but it's not where solutions come from.

She literally has said she cannot provide solutions.
    She has been categorically clear that all she can do is draw attention to the need for solutions, which have to be developed.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1112954917826842624?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have not read the whole thread here but i just thought it was nuts having this girl doing a zero carbon atlantic crossing but with the worlds media covering the launch live.
    I laughed. As she was preparing for off, you had sky news live from a boat and within shot was another power boat with camera crew on board. Imagine all the vans and crews for doing the live coverage.
    I didnt see a camera helicopter but it was likely there too. The whole thing is a laugh. I get that she is trying to raise awareness but when that awareness has a worse environmental effect than her flying around the world, it needs to be called out for the bull**** it is.

She literally has said she cannot provide solutions.
    She has been categorically clear that all she can do is draw attention to the need for solutions, which have to be developed.
    Yeah but many an activist has spent their life achieving very little. I prefer to be informed by those who can do things. At no point would I ever refer to what this young lady has to say to understand what needs to be done and what is being done. There is a large cult of personality being built around her. That IMO is not good for her and certainly not terribly helpful for what she wants to see happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In a modern ocean going yacht with a decent crew she'll be grand. Very uncomfortable and probably quite scary at times, so she's no shrinking violet.

Unless the keel goes the boat should stay upright. My biggest fear would be keel loss from striking a floating container. They fall off ships on the regular and can maintain neutral bouyancy, floating at or just below the surface. Actually a form of pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Agreed about the stunt tbh. With regards sailing the Atlantic in a sailing boat - it's definitely no picnic. The problem is there are no safe harbour to retreat to once you properly leave Europe. The journey will probably take a minimum of two weeks - and even the best forecasting today can still only give up to five days accuracy

Generally sail boats leaving Europe would avoid sailing the Atlantic from late June to November (aka the hurricane season) due to the prevailing winds being against anyone sailing in that direction and risk of rough seas and storm conditions.

Oddly many think luxury when they hear the word yacht - however even normal sized yachts are fairly tiny with limited facilities. Racing yachts are bare bones with no provision for privacy or comfort. Not a place for a child diagnosed with aspergers imo. Her father is going with her. I do hope he has done at least some sailing previously and knows what to expect.

This is a fairly typical conditions with regards to sailing the Atlantic

my autistic godson would beg to differ. They no longer diagnose Aspergers, now everyone is just 'on the autistic spectrum'

uneducated:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's no surprise that Greta is from Sweden.

Sweden is the most sustainable country in the world.

She's a product of her environmentparents scaremongering.
    Go on ya good thing!!!

FYP

I think those who are discrediting her would change their view if they did their research on the future we will have if we don't act soon. The window is rapidly closing. I, for one, would hate to be a child today. Genuinely.

Ok Chicken Little :rolleyes:

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Any civilization who beat both acid rain and the Milennium Bug will no doubt manage to come through “Climate Change”.

Don't forget the hole in the Ozone Layer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Ok Chicken Little :rolleyes:

All this 10 years to save the planet nonsense. I predict we will be producing more Co2 in 10 years time not less. Excepting a change in how Co2 is calculated or a massively disruptive event such as a global depression or pandemic.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

It's no surprise that Greta is from Sweden.

Sweden is the most sustainable country in the world.

She's a product of her environmentparents scaremongering.
    Go on ya good thing!!!

FYP

I honestly didn't know the climate change was just scaremongering by her parents.

I could have sworn thousands upon thousands of scientists doing hours upon hours of research brought climate change to the mainstream.

Great to have the likes of yourself cutting through all the confusion for humanities sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Thargor wrote: »
    I get a very disturbing vibe from people like the OP and loons that show up ranting about her in any climate change threads, not suggesting paedophilia, but it's just bizarre that a young girl with an interest in environmentalism or politics triggers such intense negative feelings in so many adult males, this isn't just 'oh Leonardo DiCaprio or Al Gore are at it again', they're literally foaming at the mouth over it and flinging slurs at her and her family. Why? Something definitely not right about it.

I think it's a bit much for you to describe the OP as disturbing, ranting, lunacy, that is bizarre, foaming at the mouth, but not quite paedophilic (?) in nature.

It is no more than your post. :P

People are pissed off with her because it smells of attention seeking, egotism, and self-publicity.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say that that isn't the case.

People are also pissed off with the stunt because it smacks of virtue signalling. This is far more to the point I think.

I THINK THINGS SHOULD BE DONE BY PEOPLE

What things?

THINGS! MAKE IT SO!

Climate change is a big deal, and is likely to become a bigger deal. On one hand it feels hypocritical to say 'what can one person do?' and then attack someone when they attempt to make a change. But what we're seeing is a bit high and mighty, and also missing the point somewhat.

I think the UAE should lay more taxes on its citizens because per capita it is one of the highest polluters in the world; not that these taxes will affect me, I live in Wicklow. :D

Add to this the fact that the Swedes are known for being a tiny bit self-satisfied with their domestic policies, and the fact that the girl in question apparently comes from landed gentry, and you wonder why there is some ire?

Ironically, the most important global change would be to make China reduce its emissions, and while it would be preferable to do this by encouraging China to pursue renewable energy, the only world leader than has actually made a stab at making China reduce its emissions is Trump. Not because he gives a rats ass about the environment, but because of protectionist policies reducing Chinese production. The fact that he merely wants to replace Chinese production with American is the catch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I honestly didn't know the climate change was just scaremongering by her parents.

I could have sworn thousands upon thousands of scientists doing hours upon hours of research brought climate change to the mainstream.

Great to have the likes of yourself cutting through all the confusion for humanities sake.

Oh yes, more consensus than cats on Whiskas. What is the claim now, 99.9999% of scientists believe in climate change?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Nermal wrote: »

It's a bizarre phenomenon. Since when did we value the opinions of children?

Since they were right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Oh yes, more consensus than cats on Whiskas. What is the claim now, 99.9999% of scientists believe in climate change?

You néed to explain your new world order theory. I want some comedy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

There is no doubt that climate change is real. I have never heard any sane person say that climate change is not real. The debate is on the part of climate change that can be attributed to human activities. A lot of research has been done but there are still large gaps in our knowledge and understanding.

Also, there are not thousands upon thousands of scientists researching man made climate change in a significant way. This belief may be mainstream but it is not true.

Didn't scientists think the world was flat until Copernicus? It's not unknown for scientist to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think this is the thing though ,

AoC : “the worlds going to end in 12 years”
    Greta : “theres no coming back from this point”
    Anti extinction ireland : “vegan and cycle or die”
    Ordinary people : “this seems alarmist”
    Eco warriors : “ask a scientist”
    Scientists “well yes climate change is real, we can see a 0.001% change in the last 20 ye” Eco warriors “SEEEE WE ARE RIGHT THERES NO GOING BACK”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Didn't scientists think the world was flat until Copernicus? It's not unknown for scientist to be proven wrong.

Copernicus was a Scientist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

mickdw wrote: »
    Have not read the whole thread here but i just thought it was nuts having this girl doing a zero carbon atlantic crossing but with the worlds media covering the launch live.
    I laughed. As she was preparing for off, you had sky news live from a boat and within shot was another power boat with camera crew on board. Imagine all the vans and crews for doing the live coverage.
    I didnt see a camera helicopter but it was likely there too. The whole thing is a laugh. I get that she is trying to raise awareness but when that awareness has a worse environmental effect than her flying around the world, it needs to be called out for the bull**** it is.

And the wealthy sit back gorging on sturgeon roe with a glass of Chablis..... oblivious and indifferent as it doesn’t affect their life style one iota. I see what they did there.. brilliant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement