Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

beauf wrote: »
    Lots of potential there....

How is she getting back from NY ...?

I dunno.

I saw on twitter that sack of ****e Aaron Banks wants her boat to sink in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Isn't there a rake of atlantic storms due?
    Imagine launching an array of Seakings risking emergency services would cancel out any carbon savings.

An absail off the Shard and a few printed t-shirts would've done the job.
    Or some actual solution-based ideas, such as forcing airlines to do away with 1st class altogether to squeeze more on.

Bad time of year to be heading into the Atlantic tbh. The Fastnet Yacht race of the 11 August 1979 claimed many lives. I remember it well ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/calm-seas-at-start-of-1979-fastnet-race-belied-impending-tragedy-1.3984289

Tbh Skype would have been more than sufficient. Daft PR stunt imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There is a helicopter ferry service from nice airport to monaco too...

I wonder does it take the oul Free Pass...?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Can-I-use-it-on-any-air-services.aspx
    If you hold a Free Travel Card and you live permanently on any of the Aran Islands, you may travel for free on Aer Arann services between the islands and Galway city. Aer Arann operates an airline service between the Aran Islands and Aerphort Chonamara at Indreabhan, Co. Galway and also provides a shuttle bus service between Aerphort Chonamara and Galway city.

If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting and hold the correct type of Free Travel Card, your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may join you for free. If you hold a Free Travel Companion Card, any one person, aged 16 or over, may join you, free of charge.

You can use the Free Travel Card for up to 12 single journeys (or up to 6 return journeys) between the Aran Islands and Galway city each year. You may make unlimited extra journeys at a special reduced rate.

If you hold a Free Travel Card and you live on the mainland, you may travel on Aer Arann’s airline and bus services between Galway city and the Aran Islands at a special reduced rate. Your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or a companion may join you and also avail of the special reduced rate.
    Journeys to and from Tory Island

If you hold a Free Travel Card and you live permanently on Tory Island, Co. Donegal, you can travel free of charge on the helicopter service between the island and Falcarragh on the mainland.

You can use the Free Travel Card for 8 single journeys (or up to 4 return journeys) each year. Your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant or a companion may join you, free of charge.

Life is funny at times,perhaps Greta will find some humour in the bigger picture ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

moonage wrote: »
    Greta's boat trip just further demonises CO2.

CO2 is the gas of life and the current levels are fine and would still be even if they doubled or trebled. Higher CO2 levels lead to a wonderful greening effect on the planet.

All this "climate crisis" nonsense is just an excuse to bring about more centralised world governance.

I'd be all for a centralised world government.

• Advertisement

Climate saint Greta Trunburg is settling sail for UN climate talks in New York to demand that governments socially engineer and tax the little people into oblivion to save the planet. Accompanied by her film maker father who lives vicariously through her, a filthy rich aristocrat from Monaco and some German bloke the trip will no doubt vastly increase the wattage of her halo before she lectures us all about impending climate Armageddon in New York. Hopefully snaps from the trip will make it into Hello! Magazine.

Do you oppose her or are you in favour of her? I can't quite put my finger on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Greta's boat trip just further demonises CO2.

CO2 is the gas of life and the current levels are fine and would still be even if they doubled or trebled. Higher CO2 levels lead to a wonderful greening effect on the planet.

All this "climate crisis" nonsense is just an excuse to bring about more centralised world governance.

Somewhat agree, the easiest thing the countries of the world have to do is plant lots more trees, Ireland missed it's own tree planting target by 40,000 hectares just before calling the green 'mergency.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Can someone explain to me why One World Government conspiracy theories always pop up in environmental stunts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

I would feel rather ridiculous telling say, the inhabitants of the slums of Lagos to reduce their carbon footprint.

I guess this is why His Serene Highness, Duke of Valentinois, Estouteville, Mazarin and Mayenne, Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre Grimaldi of Monaco, has decided that he would rather deliver the same message to us via a child, rather than personally.

So as not to appear ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why One World Government conspiracy theories always pop up in environmental stunts?

The (slightly globalist) billionaire Gates has already begun 'sky-clouding' months ago, according to the article:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7350713/Bill-Gates-wants-spray-millions-tonnes-dust-stratosphere-stop-global-warming.html

The folks in remote desert islands were likely not consulted about the experimentation/stunt of calcium carbonate dust being lashed up into the high atmosphere.

The same folks admit the potential for disaster from even this early test phase remains.

News this week is that many folks up in Donegal have vit D (the sunshine vitamin) levels so low, that the Dr's thought their machines were faulty, cases of rickets in the US are also on the rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Climate saint Greta Trunburg is settling sail for UN climate talks in New York to demand that governments socially engineer and tax the little people into oblivion to save the planet. Accompanied by her film maker father who lives vicariously through her, a filthy rich aristocrat from Monaco and some German bloke the trip will no doubt vastly increase the wattage of her halo before she lectures us all about impending climate Armageddon in New York. Hopefully snaps from the trip will make it into Hello! Magazine.

Did you even put on socks today?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Her mode of travel is fantastic compared to air travel. Well done Greta

A yacht, with poky accommodation and a plastic bucket labelled for "poos", facing the full force of the fricking Atlantic Ocean, no thanks.
    I'd question anyone's sanity for choosing that over an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Apart from man-made environmental disasters such as oil spills, plastic filled oceans and the likes, which are all terrible; I think it's a slim-nil chance humans have anything to do with climate change (the so called "science" the tree-huggers drone on about is scant at best). This Greta is no exception, she comes out with the most stereotypical, catchphrasey crap I've ever heard. I feel sorry for her for the traction she has gained.

Aside from this, I have huge respect for her for getting a yacht across the atlantic! But could I be forgiven for smelling an element of bullsh!ttery about the whole thing? How do we know she won't just pull a 180 around the harbor and just jet over there next month?

I hope she proves me wrong...

The vast majority of scientists in the world disagree with you.

Is that enough to prove you wrong oh wise one?

Because a venn diagram of those who believe in there being a One World Governance movement and those who disbelieve evidence of climate change is pretty much a single circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When this all dies down they'll have a new poster child.

Honestly, and I'm not saying this as a joke or for shock value, but I would not be one bit surprised if they rolled out some child with Down Syndrome or a very noticible ailment. How can you disagree with disabled child?

The Thunbergs knew Greta couldn't follow the family dynasty into the entertainment industry. The younger daughter already has acting profile. So Greta was pushed into this.

I'm not going to pretend that I give a **** about her wellbeing, I don't, but it will be interesting to see how she gets on being enclosed on a small boat for a few weeks. Not very recommendible for somebody with Asbergers. What happens when she has a meltdown? You can't just turn around and be home in 20 minutes.

When this all dies down they'll have a new poster child.

Honestly, and I'm not saying this as a joke or for shock value, but I would not be one bit surprised if they rolled out some child with Down Syndrome or a very noticible ailment. How can you disagree with disabled child?

The Thunbergs knew Greta couldn't follow the family dynasty into the entertainment industry. The younger daughter already has acting profile. So Greta was pushed into this.

I'm not going to pretend that I give a **** about her wellbeing, I don't, but it will be interesting to see how she gets on being enclosed on a small boat for a few weeks. Not very recommendible for somebody with Asbergers. What happens when she has a meltdown? You can't just turn around and be home in 20 minutes.

Wow, this post is perfect because it's exactly what I think a particular group type would think except I wouldn't have thought they'd post it.

You probably think this is going easy on her because if her autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought when I seen her on TV that she was being interviewed due to some acting performance cause she had a look about her. The Exorcist remake perhaps or some new Stephen King movie.

One thing that bugged me today about the reports is the constant mentioning that there was no toilet on the yacht. It was like they were making a point that Greta was making such a sacrifice by having to slop out into the atlantic ocean and it's not particularly an image I care to dwell on. I hope that's one photo opportunity they skip but the way this is going you wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Because of the Club of Rome and the invention of the climate crisis as a vehicle for NWO control.
    😉

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Because of the Club of Rome and the invention of the climate crisis as a vehicle for NWO control.
    😉

Can you walk me through this logical conclusion? Step by step

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i neither agree nor disagree with her.
    i just feel its another pr stunt that will soon be forgotten and yield nothing

i didnt realise she was autistic and even if o had it wouldn't have coloured my opinion in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

😉

What’s the point. The planet is doomed in 10 years according to the hysteria. Let’s face it nothing significant is going to happen in those 10 years to reverse so called climate change so let’s enjoy our last decade to the utmost :)

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

What’s the point. The planet is doomed in 10 years according to the hysteria. Let’s face it nothing significant is going to happen in those 10 years to reverse so called climate change so let’s enjoy our last decade to the utmost :)

Oh alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

😉

I'm looking forward to this.

Edit:ahh he couldn't. Was looking for a laugh this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Amazing from the girl who claims she can see co2. Dog and pony show.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

I have just watched reports about the Fastnet race disaster which happened at this time of year when 19 experienced sailors died followiing a freak storm in the Atlantic.
    Now they are sending this child out in to the same potential diasaster area all for the sake of a bit of publicity.
    It is also clear that journalists are afraid to question her about her ideas for fear they be accused of bullyiing.
    These peole are masters at manipulating the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you oppose her or are you in favour of her? I can't quite put my finger on it
    It all sounds like a description of how someone crafted a PR campaign with lots of symbolism attached. They probably could have done without the rich yacht owner I guess but it apparently proves some point or other.

Busterie wrote: »
    I have just watched reports about the Fastnet race disaster which happened at this time of year when 19 experienced sailors died followiing a freak storm in the Atlantic.
    Now they are sending this child out in to the same potential diasaster area all for the sake of a bit of publicity.
    It is also clear that journalists are afraid to question her about her ideas for fear they be accused of bullyiing.
    These peole are masters at manipulating the press.

Whats the endgame here?

Advance their own agendas....

Greta - Talking about Climate change affecting the whole planet.
    Malala - Was shot in the head by Taliban for wanting to attend school.

GTFO of here
    You're confusing what they believe and the unintentional but inevitable entourage that has gravitated to them, some of whom can see a golden opportunity to be self-appointed proxies.

Whats the endgame here?
    Not flying - ergo showing she is not adding to her carbon footprint. That it is completely impractical doesn't matter.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not flying - ergo showing she is not adding to her carbon footprint. That it is completely impractical doesn't matter.

She symbolises the green movement. Well meaning but completely impractical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement