Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

gozunda wrote: »
    Wow. You got all that from a 140/ 280 character tweet? I'm seriously impressed. The 'negativity' as you refer to it as far as I can see - is a reaction to being set up as a figurehead who 'cant' be criticised apparently.

Yes 'awareness heightening' can indeed be a good thing - If that's what is important. However it also very much depends how the message is delivered and to what ends.

Afaik most no one 'hates' or has 'contempt' the child. There are a few loudmouths looking for a reaction - Whats new? As detailed in this thread the discussion has been mainly criticism of the her role as a figurehead and how she is pushed / presented as a savant.

And just because you dont agree with another person's opinion - does not make them an 'asshole' (sic). I'd say if anything that comments backfires on you and totally destroys any credability of your argument. .

Did she write a book on spherical earth too?

Yet she consistently points people towards Scientists.

People don't need a child to point them towards scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Obviously not. They are both living vicariously through her and obviously using her as a means to make money. Very unwise for someone with zero sailing experience to attempt to cross the Atlantic in a small vessel. You can't just go home if you are violently sick and/or get cabin fever.

I hope she is ok. :(:(:(

The people who hate her don't realize she is just a naive kid.

The people who idolize her don't realize she is just a naive kid who needs to be protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

bubblypop wrote: »

Judging by the idiocy in this thread your statement is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yet she consistently points people towards Scientists.
    So why not go to the scientists and just ignore her? She is a godsend to all manner of eco-warriors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

bubblypop wrote: »

Some clearly do.

is_that_so wrote: »
    So why not go to the scientists and just ignore her? She is a godsend to all manner of eco-warriors.

Well why don't you do that then. It really is that simple.

So why not go to the scientists and just ignore her?.

LOL

If people listened to scientists she wouldn’t exist

Where is a story or interview with a climate scientist that is HEADLINING today?

Totally eclipsed. Scientists are not rock stars they are usually overtired middle ages people who are poorly paid and with a mortgage and kids to pay for.

They have PHDs out the wazoo and they have to take a six week course to even understand what each other say its so specialized.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

sk8erboii wrote: »
    LOL

Care to go ahead and post a link to put some substance on your post.

If you're going to hint at something, own it.

• Advertisement

Where is a story or interview with a climate scientist that is HEADLINING today?

Totally eclipsed. Scientists are not rock stars they are usually overtired middle ages people who are poorly paid and with a mortgage and kids to pay for.

They have PHDs out the wazoo and they have to take a six week course to even understand what each other say its so specialized.

Who should we listen to? Phone psychics?

If you're going to hint at that, own it.

Scientists have been telling governments we need drastic reductions in GHG emissions since the 80's. They aren't listening.

Who's to say we don't?

If you're going to hint at something, own it.

What do you want me to say? Its done to death at this point. Every major study has said the exact same thing.

Scientists have been telling governments we need drastic reductions in GHG emissions since the 80's. They aren't listening.

So what? Just stop?

The governments will listen when the electorate demands it.

Who should we listen to? Phone psychics?
    Better than a 16 yr old with zero experience of yachting who thinks she can sail across the Atlantic.

Not exactly savvy or bright is she?

What do you want me to say? Its done to death at this point. Every major study has said the exact same thing.

Please link one of these major studies.

So what? Just stop?

The governments will listen when the electorate demands it.
    They can't. Its not even that simple.

Please link one of these major studies.

Nah. Google it for yourself. I assume you know how to use JSTOR and search for academic studies?

LOL

No, there'd be another person who could do something similar.

• Advertisement

Who's to say we don't?

You.

Nah. Google it for yourself. I assume you know how to use JSTOR and search for academic studies?

Typical, even on an anonymous internet forum you only want to stir the pot and hint at stuff but have nothing to back it up.

Not surprising.

No, there'd be another person who could do something similar.

....who wouldnt exist if people listened to scientists.

My god what a low IQ post

Mod: He was banned a day ago. Please stop reporting this post.

You.
    Me what?

Better than a 16 yr old with zero experience of yachting who thinks she can sail across the Atlantic.

She's sailing across the atlantic with a professional racing team and family members in a state of the art boat. It's not like she pushed off in a dingy.

It's almost like you can't rebut her message so you try to attack her and ger family's character and image.

That seems to be your modus operandi when you enter debates on the wrong side on these boards...

You don't even understand what is happening do you?

Maybe you didn't understand when you signed up to Boards, you don't have to join in to every thread you know.

Typical, even on an anonymous internet forum you only want to stir the pot and hint at stuff but have nothing to back it up.

Not surprising.
    LOL

Nothing backs up climate change. okay got it.

Use JSTOR and google scholar to search for studies. Its standard research practice for university. I assume you went there to form your rational stance?

You don't even understand what is happening do you?

Maybe you didn't understand when you signed up to Boards, you don't have to join in to every thread you know.

Unless... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Judging by the idiocy in this thread your statement is false.
    Some clearly do.

People are aware of the science, they don’t agree on the politics. It shouldn’t be that difficult to figure out for a pair of geniuses such as yourselves.

LOL

To be fair, that whole having one less child would have the greatest impact individuals could make on climate change, was only touted in 2017. Greta was born long before then so while she would have existed, the impetus would be on children now to have no children when they become adults themselves. How many children do you imagine are listening to that message?

• Advertisement

She's sailing across the atlantic with a professional racing team and family members in a state of the art boat. It's not like she pushed off in a dingy.

It's almost like you can't rebut her message so you try to attack her and ger family's character and image.

That seems to be your modus operandi when you enter debates on the wrong side on these boards...
    I haven't at all. I have said plainly I attack the people using a child for their own gains.

August is hurricane season on the Atlantic by the way.

Its not a real racing team its an 'ECO RACING TEAM'. They've never won anything.

Its a bunch of aristocrats.

Anyway racing teams OFTEN have to be rescued even expert ones. I am surprised they took someone under 18.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement