Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

mickdw wrote: »
    Have not read the whole thread here but i just thought it was nuts having this girl doing a zero carbon atlantic crossing but with the worlds media covering the launch live.
    I laughed. As she was preparing for off, you had sky news live from a boat and within shot was another power boat with camera crew on board. Imagine all the vans and crews for doing the live coverage.
    I didnt see a camera helicopter but it was likely there too. The whole thing is a laugh. I get that she is trying to raise awareness but when that awareness has a worse environmental effect than her flying around the world, it needs to be called out for the bull**** it is.
    Don't forget the hole in the Ozone Layer!!

And the end of peak oil

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Didn't scientists think the world was flat until Copernicus? It's not unknown for scientist to be proven wrong.

No. 300 bc. Greek astronomists had established the spherical earth theory at that point.

Copernicus has nothing to do with spherical earth. Absolute state of education here in boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

circadian wrote: »
    We should be listening to their opinions, especially on climate change. They're the ones that will be feeling the full effects of it, not the boomers who will long be in the ground.

We should be listening to children’s opinions on climate change, and where do you imagine they’re getting their information from? Other adults who give their opinions on the subject of climate change - catastrophists and scaremongerers. This is the sort of thing that happens when we entertain children’s perspectives on climate change -

In a statement she originally posted on her Facebook page, Thunberg acknowledges that she is not a climate scientist: she is merely a messenger who is repeating what scientists have been communicating to the public for decades, so far without much success. She says if everyone listened to the scientists and acknowledged the facts, "then we could all go back to school".

At a TEDx talk in November 2018, Thunberg said she first heard about climate change at the age of eight and could not understand why so little was being done about it. At age 11, she became depressed and stopped talking. Later on she was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD), and selective mutism. She added that selective mutism meant she was speaking only when she needed to and that "now is one of those moments"; and that being on the "spectrum" was an advantage "as almost everything is black or white". Thunberg has said: "I feel like I am dying inside if I don't protest".

Her father does not like her missing school, but said: "[We] respect that she wants to make a stand. She can either sit at home and be really unhappy, or protest, and be happy". To lower her family's carbon footprint, she insisted they become vegan and give up flying. She said she persuaded her parents to give up eating meat by making them feel guilty. "I kept telling them that they were stealing our future." Her mother also gave up her international career as an opera singer. Despite invitations to speak at international events, Greta also doesn't fly anywhere.

Later in the week, she warned the global leaders that "I don't want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house was on fire—because it is".[52] She wrote in an article for The Guardian in January 2019: "According to the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), we are less than 12 years away from not being able to undo our mistakes. In that time, unprecedented changes in all aspects of society need to have taken place, including a reduction of our CO
    2 emissions by at least 50%".

All I see there is adults being manipulated by a child, entertaining that child and allowing the child to believe that guilt-tripping people into acquiescence is an effective strategy in getting her own way. The adults encouraging her are using her passion and enthusiasm for environmental and political issues and her childish fears in a manipulative way for their own gain. Is there something wrong with the adults promoting her that they have to use a child to represent their views instead of representing the views of the child themselves? I have no doubt it’s because they’re aware they wouldn’t get anything close to the media attention they have done if they were to do so. They haven’t so far, and using a child with special needs and punting her around the world on a boat like she’s a travelling freak show says more about the adults lack of responsibility and the message that sends out to people, than any “vital message” the child is “carrying”. It shouldn’t be the child’s responsibility to carry that burden placed upon her by adults who are manipulating her and have taught her that manipulating people and generating and perpetuating fear is an effective way to control people.

That’s not just listening to the science, it’s emotional blackmail, not something I would ever want any child to imagine is acceptable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I honestly didn't know the climate change was just scaremongering by her parents.

I could have sworn thousands upon thousands of scientists doing hours upon hours of research brought climate change to the mainstream.

Great to have the likes of yourself cutting through all the confusion for humanities sake.

Oh yes, more consensus than cats on Whiskas. What is the claim now, 99.9999% of scientists believe in climate change?

I think this is the thing though ,

AoC : “the worlds going to end in 12 years”
    Greta : “theres no coming back from this point”
    Anti extinction ireland : “vegan and cycle or die”
    Ordinary people : “this seems alarmist”
    Eco warriors : “ask a scientist”
    Scientists “well yes climate change is real, we can see a 0.001% change in the last 20 ye” Eco warriors “SEEEE WE ARE RIGHT THERES NO GOING BACK”
    You missed out the bit where you whinge about tax :).

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Didn't scientists think the world was flat until Copernicus? It's not unknown for scientist to be proven wrong.

No. 300 bc. Greek astronomists had established the spherical earth theory at that point.

Copernicus has nothing to do with spherical earth. Absolute state of education here in boards.ie

Welly has form for being wrong to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lux23 wrote: »
    Copernicus was a Scientist.

Ok, i'll rephrase it for your pedantic ass. Wasn't it accepted as scientific fact that the earth was flat centre of the universe until Copernicus?

Edit: Realised my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Climate change is the priority around the world for politicians and in the collective consciousness in the west at any rate.

How did this happen? In a world where 9 million people die of hunger each year, where global wealth has never been more unevenly divided or concentrated, where private corporations have never been so powerful or so beyond the control of people or states how has a vague, wishy washy concept such as “climate change” risen to the top of not only the political agenda but of society’s most pressing issues?

What a fantastic sleight of hand to distract from all that inequality, concentration of wealth and power and erosion of personal freedoms. And what is the solution to this problem? A further concentration of power and increased erosion of personal freedom.

When the solution to any crisis is more personal freedom, less taxes and a more even distribution of oversight and accountability from corporations as opposed to individuals I will start to take the crisis more seriously.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Bravo. I didn't think you'd go that far but you did.

Anyway where did you copy and paste that from?

Fantastic reply. You addressed all the points comprehensively and intelligently. Bravo indeed.

Fantastic reply. You addressed all the points comprehensively and intelligently. Bravo indeed.

I asked for comedy and I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Taxation is literally the most oppressive force in our modern world.

Taxation is literally the most oppressive force in our modern world.

When you make enough money to pay back your usage of our roads. Get back to me.

Libertarians.. The most selfish people on planet earth.

The funny thing is the acceptance of climate change as a priority given the tiny influence humans can have on it in the long term while relegating massive inequality and the starving to death of millions of people to an also ran.

Hope it gives you a good belly laugh.

Now who is being manipulated?

The funny thing is the acceptance of climate change as a priority given the tiny influence humans can have on it in the long term while relegating massive inequality and the starving to death of millions of people to an also ran.

Hope it gives you a good belly laugh.

Now who is being manipulated?

You. Yourself have been manipulated. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't stand environmentalist child protesters, being children and provided for by parent/guardians without responsibility they're about as removed from reality as possible.

Interesting. What school of debate do you ascribe to? Big Brother or Love Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

This is one of the main players behind the Greta propaganda machine...Anders Wijkman. The Club Of Rome had a large hand in starting the emotional blackmail propaganda campaign using Greta. There is nothing random or grassroots about Gretas puppeteered campaign. Her sick money and fame hungry parents agreed to let their daughter be used as a pawn.

https://www.clubofrome.org/member/anders-wijkman/

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

seamus wrote: »
    This kind of comment always reminds me of this:
    https://thenib.imgix.net/usq/8688038d-f99b-4224-872b-b8dd626f868c/mister-gotcha-4-9faefa.png

There's a reason she's doing it in an odd, possibly even grandiose way. It's making a statement.

A single ship sailing to New York does not matter to climate change in the grand scheme. It's not hypocrisy to do this when the purpose is to try and instigate larger-scale change.

If she was just some girl making video calls to world leaders, nobody would hear about it. Her message would go unheard by the public, and therefore ignored by politicians.

Instead she's making a grand statement, accompanied by a media circus. In order to make the public listen. Because if the public isn't listening, the politicians don't care. The more pictures in Hello magazine, the better.

You can call her an attention seeker all you like, because that's the whole damn point.

Yes, we all as individuals need to make an effort to do our part, but we also need change to be insitigated and enforced from the top down.

Everyone and everything has to change if we're to save our species. It's not "someone else's problem", and whinging about taxation and pointing at corporations makes you part of the problem.

Don't you have 4 kids and drive around in an SUV ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sk8erboii wrote: »

Ah will you give the lad some credit!. He wrote a book about it ffs.
    Copernicus finished the first manuscript of his book, "De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium" ("On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres") in 1532. In it, Copernicus established that the planets orbited the sun rather than the Earth. He laid out his model of the solar system and the path of the planets.

Jeez the state of some young ones education these days ..

:rolleyes:

Ps - how did the leavng cert exams go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

• Advertisement

Interesting. What school of debate do you ascribe to? Big Brother or Love Island?

What on earth have you written that's worth debating.

Where did you copy and paste that post from by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thanks for that - excellent article.

It all goes back and back," Tyrion thought, "to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads.

George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)

Climate change is the priority around the world for politicians and in the collective consciousness in the west at any rate.

How did this happen? In a world where 9 million people die of hunger each year, where global wealth has never been more unevenly divided or concentrated, where private corporations have never been so powerful or so beyond the control of people or states how has a vague, wishy washy concept such as “climate change” risen to the top of not only the political agenda but of society’s most pressing issues?

What a fantastic sleight of hand to distract from all that inequality, concentration of wealth and power and erosion of personal freedoms. And what is the solution to this problem? A further concentration of power and increased erosion of personal freedom.

When the solution to any crisis is more personal freedom, less taxes and a more even distribution of oversight and accountability from corporations as opposed to individuals I will start to take the crisis more seriously.

The world has never been more free and fed such a large percentage of it's population. Climate change isn't wishy washy, it's proven science. Proven as conclusively as smoking causes lung cancer. The manipulation of climate change for political ends, e.g. the oil and coal industries promoting renewables over nuclear, as they know renewables can't do it on their own, is a problem.

I do think the encroachment on personal freedoms is an issue, but this is nothing to do with climate change. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

For the record, I don't think we should have to go back to a pre industrial society to solve climate change, but that's where we're headed if nuclear isn't brought into the mix. Meanwhile China and India will dominate the world economically and militarily as we in the west are too busy tilting at windmills.

The world has never been more free and fed such a large percentage of it's population. Climate change isn't wishy washy, it's proven science. Proven as conclusively as smoking causes lung cancer. The manipulation of climate change for political ends, e.g. the oil and coal industries promoting renewables over nuclear, as they know renewables can't do it on their own, is a problem.

I do think the encroachment on personal freedoms is an issue, but this is nothing to do with climate change. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

For the record, I don't think we should have to go back to a pre industrial society to solve climate change, but that's where we're headed if nuclear isn't brought into the mix. Meanwhile China and India will dominate the world economically and militarily as we in the west are too busy tilting at windmills.

Your assertion that the world has never been more free is one that I would disagree with, in fact one could argue it has never been less free with checks, controls, digital monitoring, surveillance cameras, etc. However it is highly subjective. Your assertion that the world has never fed such a large percentage of its population is contrary to the research of organizations such as the World Health Organisation which state that global hunger is increasing https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/11-09-2018-global-hunger-continues-to-rise---new-un-report-says

Furthermore more, equating human caused climate change with smoking caused lung cancer is a fantastic exaggeration.

What percentage of lung cancer is directly attributable to smoking and what percentage of global warming is estimated to be as a result of human activity?

An emotive but hardly convincing comparison.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

For fairness https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/standpoint-magazine/
    These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Overall, we rate Standpoint Magazine Right Biased due to word and story choices that favor the Right and mixed factually due to poor sourcing.

I wonder if the author wrote the equivalent article about himself and who is behind his Magazine what they would find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

For fairness https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/standpoint-magazine/

I wonder if the author wrote the equivalent article about himself and who is behind his Magazine what they would find.

When all else fails blame the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The only reason I know who this person is, is because of people on boards.ie giving out about her.

If you get so upset about a child, then dare I say it you either living in your mother's basement or there is something depraved going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

markodaly wrote: »
    The only reason I know who this person is, is because of people on boards.ie giving out about her.

If you get so upset about a child, then dare I say it you either living in your mother's basement or there is something depraved going on.
    Who’s getting upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I had no idea who Greta Thunberg was until a few months ago. I became familiar with her when Fidelma Healy Eames likes a tweet comparing her to a Nazi.
    Greta Thunbergs rise to fame has done two positive things as far as I'm concerned, which are as follows..

1. It has heightened awareness and action across all age groups about the limited nature of the earth’s resources. This IMHO can only be a good thing.

2. It has heightened awareness of the various forms of "disability" on the autistic spectrum. This IMHO can only be a good thing.

3. It has heightened my ability to identify arseholes more easily and quickly. Specifically people who feel hate and contempt to her, and voice it on social media. By and large, these people tend to be IMHO arseholes that I normally don't like anyway for unrelated reasons. Again, this can only be a good thing

basically I just don't get all the negativity.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Who’s getting upset?

The OP and his fellow cohorts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement