Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

markodaly wrote: »
    The only reason I know who this person is, is because of people on boards.ie giving out about her.
    If you get so upset about a child, then dare I say it you either living in your mother's basement or there is something depraved going on.

You see thats the type of throw away comment which gives a thread like this a bad rap.

It's not a 'child' which posters are discussing- it's the figurehead and the promotion of same.

But sure go ahead - liken all discussion to paedophilia or weirdo or whatever you are implying and by doing so you've just lost the argument.

Of interest she is all over the media. Hard to believe youve never came across any of this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

For fairness https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/standpoint-magazine/

I wonder if the author wrote the equivalent article about himself and who is behind his Magazine what they would find.
    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    When all else fails blame the messenger.

Ahh I don’t think riffmongous was blaming the messenger. He’s making the fair point that Standpoint magazine have their own biases in play too, which is good for people to be aware of in the same way as the Standpoint are making people aware of the politics and the money behind the “Climate Emergency”.

It makes for an interesting article at least, but one of the things that does frustrate me reading it is that it doesn’t cite any sources for it’s information (I know it’s also a printed magazine but they could have added links in the footnotes of the article), and so I couldn’t easily verify some of the stuff that genuinely seemed to be far-fetched in the article.

Some of it is true as I was aware of some stuff already (like the connections between the family and the photographer, can’t find the Swedish article now where Greta’s father threatened to sue the photographer for using Greta’s image to promote his own company), but some of the political stuff is much more like reaching and hoping the reader joins the dots. I was able to verify after the links between them when I looked them up, but I don’t think it’s unfair to point out the article shouldn’t be taken at face value in the same way it’s not unfair to point out people shouldn’t take “Greta’s message” at face value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

gozunda wrote: »
    You see thats the type of throw away comment which gives a thread like this a bad rap.

It's not a 'child' which posters are discussing- it's the figurehead and the promotion of same.

But sure go ahead - liken all discussion to paedophilia or weirdosor whatever you are implying and by doing so you've just lost the argument.

Of interest she is all over the media. Hard to believe youve never came across any of this ...

There are lots of other figureheads out there but this child is the one that perks interest for some reason.

I wonder if the author wrote the equivalent article about himself and who is behind his Magazine what they would find.

To be fair - I've read that article and independently fact checked a good bit of what was written and it appears to stand on it's own merit.

Take any publication tbh and if you look hard enough - you could find it will attract certain labels.

The Guardisn Newspaper for example - claims editorial independence and yet takes money from the Open Philanthropy Project to publish stories with a particular slant.

One of its regular environment writers is George Monbiot who In January 2004 helped co found the "Respect – The Unity Coalition" (later formally the Respect Party). The Respect Party was a left-wing to far-left political party active in the United Kingdom between 2004 and 2016.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to look at what is being said and whether that stands up to scrutiny as much as to who is saying it

There are lots of other figureheads out there but this child is the one that perks interest for some reason.

This is the figurehead being discussed in this thread and is in the news at this moment. We will just have to stick to that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You don't do irony eh Dan?

To be fair - I've read that article and independently fact checked a good bit of what was written and it appears to stand on it's own merit.

Take any publication tbh and if you look hard enough - you could find it will attract certain labels.

The Guardisn Newspaper for example - claims editorial independence and yet takes money from the Open Philanthropy Project to publish stories with a particular slant.

One of its regular environment writers is George Monbiot who In January 2004 helped co found the "Respect – The Unity Coalition" (later formally the Respect Party). The Respect Party was a left-wing to far-left political party active in the United Kingdom between 2004 and 2016.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to look at what is being said and whether that stands up to scrutiny as much as to who is saying it

Indeed Goz, but there's a lot in that article that is unsourced as Jack says above, a lot of someone told me in an email, which sets off the alarm bells when the writer has their own biases

The reason being that she is being promoted as the most prominent figurehead by her parents and the multitude of adults who are pimping her out on the world stage like an exhibit in a travelling circus. They know full well that people will sympathise with what they see as a suffering child who claims to represent children whose future she claims has been stolen by adults, and so they must capitulate to her demands to change their ways or humanity and the environment is doomed...

That’s the general gist of it anyway, and that might fly with her parents and those who have chosen to promote her as a figurehead of the “climate emergency” movement, but it’s also a good demonstration of why adults shouldn’t entertain children’s demands and have every right to simply say ‘no’.

Indeed Goz, but there's a lot in that article that is unsourced as Jack says above, a lot of someone told me in an email, which sets off the alarm bells when the writer has their own biases

Fair enough. As do most writers imo. It goes with the territory. Most media articles are unsourced tbh hence need to check if an article stands up to scrutiny. Tbh I would agree with Jack. Imo that one doesn't do too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

another day another boards "IMHO" thread with right wing troll/web brigade talking point # 108

The Sins of Greta Thunberg: her part as a pawn in promulgation of the Chinese Global Warming Hoax on Behalf of the Corrupt Globalist Elite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That website lists RTE as an unbiased source of factual information. It also lists Dinny O Bribes Independent as just slightly right of center in terms of bias but a good source of factual information. I'll take it with a grain of salt if you don't mind.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    another day another boards "IMHO" thread with right wing troll/web brigade talking point # 108

Disagreement with someone’s opinions doesn’t mean a person is either a right wing/left wing anything. The vast majority of people appreciate and understand nuance.

The Sins of Greta Thunberg: her part as a pawn in promulgation of the Chinese Global Warming Hoax on Behalf of the Corrupt Globalist Elite!

Now that’s just silly. People don’t have any issue with the child themselves, it’s the adults using her as a mouthpiece for their opinions and a shield against criticism of those opinions that people are going to take issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

As I alway say, when you need advice on a deeply complex global issue, you should ask a child. Why just the other day I stopped a 12 year boy and asked him for advice on Iran’s hostility in Persian gulf , he said “what the hell would I know I’m a child” then he went and kicked a football.......such wisdom #clownworld

Now that’s just silly. People don’t have any issue with the child themselves, it’s the adults using her as a mouthpiece for their opinions and a shield against criticism of those opinions that people are going to take issue with.

Its a bit more that that. OP was fairly snide wouldn't you say, "climate saint", "wattage of her halo".

Also I think I commented above because was reading the Brexit thread in politics forum and was a link posted there to a tweet by one of the "Bad Boys of Brexit" referring to "yachting accidents"!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/15/arron-banks-jokes-about-greta-thunberg-and-freak-yachting-accidents

She (personally) does seem to touch a raw nerve.
    Disagreement with someone’s opinions doesn’t mean a person is either a right wing/left wing anything. The vast majority of people appreciate and understand nuance.

True but there are some patterns in what gets posted + generates long "discussions".
    Same as almost any place on the internet that is open to public comments I suppose.
    Sorry but I've become very cynical about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

vladmydad wrote: »
    As I alway say, when you need advice on a deeply complex global issue, you should ask a child. Why just the other day I stopped a 12 year boy and asked him for advice on Iran’s hostility in Persian gulf , he said “what the hell would I know I’m a child” then he went and kicked a football.......such wisdom #clownworld

There might be something in that if nobody is listening to the 99% of scientists who have written about climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd finagle her mother:

a68262062ffc00a4f0818ff17da4696a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Any truth to the rumour the ship has rerouted and Greta, sporting a Bomber Liston shirt, has been on the loudhailer screaming "Ciarrai for Sam" to any passing ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Apparently the vessel in question is a real hardarse racing yacht with bugger-all on board, including toilets. They'd better have the power-hoses ready on the other side. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'd finagle her mother:

a68262062ffc00a4f0818ff17da4696a.jpg

Can you explain further? I don't know what this post means

vladmydad wrote: »

A child will know as much as 99.9% of the adults out there on this topic, and yet somehow I doubt you're going to be in favour of a technocratic solution.

• Advertisement

Its a bit more that that. OP was fairly snide wouldn't you say, "climate saint", "wattage of her halo".

Also I think I commented above because was reading the Brexit thread in politics forum and was a link posted there to a tweet by one of the "Bad Boys of Brexit" referring to "yachting accidents"!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/15/arron-banks-jokes-about-greta-thunberg-and-freak-yachting-accidents

She (personally) does seem to touch a raw nerve.

The OP was cynical more than snide to be fair, the child really does come off like those cute evangelical preacher kids, you know the ones -

That Aaron Banks chap though is just a scumbag. I wasn’t familiar with him before this thread but he was linked to earlier by another poster. I think it’s unfair to associate posters who disagree here with that sort of a wind-up merchant.

True but there are some patterns in what gets posted + generates long "discussions".
    Same as almost any place on the internet that is open to public comments I suppose.
    Sorry but I've become very cynical about it.

Fair enough to be cynical, then surely you must be able to see why people are cynical of what is being portrayed and the way in which it is being portrayed and perpetuated by adults. I don’t see the child as being responsible for their actions, I see the adults who are using the child to promote their own cause, as responsible for their actions.

Take the child out of the equation and let the adults do the fighting for themselves - they can’t, because they know they literally do not have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to convince the people they need to convince, to take them seriously. As I said earlier though - who can say no to a cute kid?

Unless she’s Veruca Salt :D

Fair enough to be cynical, then surely you must be able to see why people are cynical of what is being portrayed and the way in which it is being portrayed and perpetuated by adults.

I can understand that.
    I don’t see the child as being responsible for their actions

Well she is past the age of reason, she does have (some) agency.
    Take the child out of the equation and let the adults do the fighting for themselves - they can’t, because they know they literally do not have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to convince the people they need to convince, to take them seriously. As I said earlier though - who can say no to a cute kid? - Unless she’s Veruca Salt

I suppose that could be the attraction for the right/climate deniers of really heaping the vitriol onto her (and why she gets their goat so to speak).
    You thought you'd disarm us somehow with a child activist so we'll double down on our invective. To be honest stuff like that Banks tweet is just stomach churning to most people.

As regards convincing people in power I'd think most (as generally intelligent and well educated people) are convinced whatever they might say in public.
    They have decided problem is "insoluble" in the sense that any big solutions are currently incompatible with the economic model on which the world is run. They'll all be dead or at least safe in their bunkers by the time worst predictions of the scientists' models come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are you f**kin serious?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Ah will you give the lad some credit!. He wrote a book about it ffs.

Jeez the state of some young ones education these days ..

:rolleyes:

Ps - how did the leavng cert exams go?

Copernicus has nothing to do with spherical earth theory. He never wrote a book about it. He wrote on gravity and celestial bodies.

Absolute state of education here on boards.ie. Ive already earned my masters in engineering and By god. I honestly do think most people in this forum are low IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A child will know as much as 99.9% of the adults out there on this topic, and yet somehow I doubt you're going to be in favour of a technocratic solution.
    Knowing is not the same as having the life experience to understand how it can be addressed. As others have said she is not a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Climate saint Greta Trunburg is settling sail for UN climate talks in New York to demand that governments socially engineer and tax the little people into oblivion to save the planet. Accompanied by her film maker father who lives vicariously through her, a filthy rich aristocrat from Monaco and some German bloke the trip will no doubt vastly increase the wattage of her halo before she lectures us all about impending climate Armageddon in New York. Hopefully snaps from the trip will make it into Hello! Magazine.

Hopefully she has someone experience with her so she makes it ok and in one piece.

Yes we know she is rich.
    Her parents obviously don't give a rats arse about her though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

is_that_so wrote: »
    Knowing is not the same as having the life experience to understand how it can be addressed. As others have said she is not a scientist.

Yet she consistently points people towards Scientists.

I had no idea who Greta Thunberg was until a few months ago. I became familiar with her when Fidelma Healy Eames likes a tweet comparing her to a Nazi. Greta Thunbergs rise to fame has done two positive things as far as I'm concerned, which are as follows..
    1. It has heightened awareness and action across all age groups about the limited nature of the earth’s resources. This IMHO can only be a good thing.2. It has heightened awareness of the various forms of "disability" on the autistic spectrum. This IMHO can only be a good thing.
    3. It has heightened my ability to identify arseholes more easily and quickly. Specifically people who feel hate and contempt to her, and voice it on social media.By and large, these people tend to be IMHO arseholes that I normally don't like anyway for unrelated reasons. Again, this can only be a good thing
    basically I just don't get all the negativity ...

Wow. You got all that from a 140/ 280 character tweet? I'm seriously impressed. The 'negativity' as you refer to it as far as I can see - is a reaction to being set up as a figurehead who 'cant' be criticised apparently.

Yes 'awareness heightening' can indeed be a good thing - If that's what is important. However it also very much depends how the message is delivered and to what ends.

Afaik most no one 'hates' or has 'contempt' the child. There are a few loudmouths looking for a reaction - Whats new? As detailed in this thread the discussion has been mainly criticism of the her role as a figurehead and how she is pushed / presented as a savant.

And just because you dont agree with another person's opinion - does not make them an 'asshole' (sic). I'd say if anything that comments backfires on you and totally destroys any credability of your argument. .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yet she consistently points people towards Scientists.

Well that is all the world needs a middle man.

She diverts attention away from scientists with her hoopla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yes we know she is rich.
    Her parents obviously don't give a rats arse about her though.

Obviously not. They are both living vicariously through her and obviously using her as a means to make money. Very unwise for someone with zero sailing experience to attempt to cross the Atlantic in a small vessel. You can't just go home if you are violently sick and/or get cabin fever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement