Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

is_that_so wrote: »
    The problem of her being the image of it all and the added opportunity for others to exploit this.
    Chill on all of that. Keep plugging away by all means but we'll get there. Between science and politics a lot can be achieved quickly when it needs to be. You seem to imagine that nobody outside of this young girl and some more informed people more care. Mostly we do, but as mentioned earlier we're waiting to see how and how much. People are adaptable but continually telling the world is screwed in a little under a century is really not a good sell.

I did not suggest at all that only Greta and a few more know about the dangers.

Ok, imagine that the world was going to be screwed in little under a century, do you think we should sit on that information or try to do something about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Okay, so what does that mean.

How does that negate her message?

(I'm not getting in to whether or not a eurovision contender and film maker constitutes a dynasty)

Read previous posts

tbh ive samples a few of gretas speeches and theyre precisely what i would have expected from a teenager with a huge platform.

platform didnt happen by accident

teenager is being fed the lines

any aspect of it coming from herself swings from reasonable to fairly typical the-world-doesnt-suit-me-change-it egotism to on-brand environmental doomerism

ive no interest in paying any more attention to her, i don't understand why she has become the poster girl for doomerism, i would certainly question the parenting and i think stating any of the above puts me square in the sights of the type of ppl you already see in the thread outraged that anyone could attack greta, the poor doomed aspergers kid just tryin to get us all to see sense.

teenagers dont get to run countries. if and when that changes id rather it was through a democratic merit basis and not because some posh one was pushed into surfing a meme wave by her posh parents

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I did not suggest at all that only Greta and a few more know about the dangers.

Ok, imagine that the world was going to be screwed in little under a century, do you think we should sit on that information or try to do something about it?
    What is it you want to see happening? I think something is happening, you clearly don't. We seem to have a plan of sorts here, granted with some obvious flaws, but I always prefer a plan with achievable milestones as a basis to we're doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fascinating. Look at this fellas hate for her. As I said earlier in the thread it is fascinating to see the emotive ire directed at her. Ignore what she is pointing at and point at her(or her parents in this case). The hate thrown thrown at her by the likes of 'gozunda' is all emotive. In this case, quite disgusting, not that I'd put that past you gozunda given your continual ability to out shame yourself on climate related threads.

Eh do you go by extreme exaggeration or something?

"This fells hate"??? Lol. That comment is about and links to the details of an article on the book written by Greta's mother. Plus this is my only comment in this thread. So can it sunshine.

Tbh I have no idea what you are on about except it seems to be a personalised rant against myself. You do know that attacking the poster is not on yes?

For your information - the only idea I have ever put forward about some of the climate change discussion is the fact there is a complete mob mentality to a lot of the hysteria. And that's a fact.

Your comment goes to prove that point tbh.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »

"This fells hate"??? Lol. That comnent is about and links to the details of an article about the book written by Gretas mother. Plus this is my only comment in this thread. So can it sunshine.

Tbh I have no idea what you are on about except it seems to be a personalised rant against myself. You do know that attacking the poster is not on yes?

For your information - the only idea I have ever put forward about some of the climate change discussion is the fact there is a complete mob mentality to a lot of the hysteria. And that's a fact.

:D:D:D

Okay then.

:D:D:D
    Okay then.

Yes I know some dont really like that pointed out but hey there you go. ...

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Put the money where the mouth is and show me where I've said otherwise

I'd suggest you read that article - it's very relevant imo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,079 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nobel Prize Next?

is_that_so wrote: »
    What is it you want to see happening? I think something is happening, you clearly don't. We seem to have a plan of sorts here, granted with some obvious flaws, but I always prefer a plan with achievable milestones as a basis to we're doomed.

What I want to see happening is a plan with achievable milestones.
    I don't see that happening since a certain someone backed out of the Paris agreement and tried to kick-start the coal industry in the US.

We are using vastly more single use plastics in recent years and the amount of time we are holding on to products is reducing yearly. I would like to see initiatives to reverse these behaviours for a start.

Yes I know some dont really like that pointed out but hey there you go. ...

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Put the money where the mouth is and show me where I've said otherwise

I'd suggest you read that article - it's very relevant imo ...

Will it make more sense if I read it a second time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Is she though? I don’t imagine Greta herself is actually ruffling all that many feathers tbh. It’s ironic that you claim people who have issues with the way adults are using a child to promote their message to politicians are the people with inflated egos. I’m all for taking action and taking responsibility and that’s why I absolutely disagree with the idea of promoting a child as an authority on anything, let alone giving them the authority to act on their beliefs. If we did, then of course you’re absolutely correct - society would become dysfunctional.

I also agree with you that the next generation do need role models and do need someone to look up to. That role is the responsibility of the adults in their lives. Adults should not be looking up to children and placing any burden of responsibility on children. Adults are supposed to protect children and create a society in which their children can thrive, as opposed to a society where adults are expected to defer authority to children. I’m not trying to take away from you the fact that you look up to a child, but surely you must be able to understand why most people in society would suggest that’s placing an unfair burden of responsibility on a child when it’s supposed to be the other way around?

I don't see Greta as an authority. Maybe looking up to her isn't the right term of phrase, I admire her, I find what she's doing highly inspiring. I also don't think she's trying to be an authority figure she's just saying what she thinks with complete conviction and trying to make a difference. This is not something we are used to seeing from children, particularly if you were raised in Ireland and I think that's why peoples feathers are ruffled.
    The reason I find what she's doing inspiring is because we don't live in a world where adults protect their children and create a society where their children can thrive. To admire what Greta is doing isn't putting unfair responsibility on her shoulders it's supporting one girl, who in my opinion, IS thriving despite the odds.

tbh ive samples a few of gretas speeches and theyre precisely what i would have expected from a teenager with a huge platform.

platform didnt happen by accident

teenager is being fed the lines

any aspect of it coming from herself swings from reasonable to fairly typical the-world-doesnt-suit-me-change-it egotism to on-brand environmental doomerism

ive no interest in paying any more attention to her, i don't understand why she has become the poster girl for doomerism, i would certainly question the parenting and i think stating any of the above puts me square in the sights of the type of ppl you already see in the thread outraged that anyone could attack greta, the poor doomed aspergers kid just tryin to get us all to see sense.

teenagers dont get to run countries. if and when that changes id rather it was through a democratic merit basis and not because some posh one was pushed into surfing a meme wave by her posh parents

Do you have any idea what is being discussed here or do you really think that Greta sees herself as running anything?

These are her own words.
    "Some people have chosen not to come here today, some have chosen not to listen to us and that is fine, we are after all just children, you don't have to listen to us. But you do have to listen to the scientists, that is all we ask,"

Do you have any idea what is being discussed here

every time you are this unnecessarily rude i throw a wrapper out the window fyi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Fascinating. Look at this fellas hate for her. As I said earlier in the thread it is fascinating to see the emotive ire directed at her. Ignore what she is pointing at and point at her(or her parents in this case). The hate thrown thrown at her by the likes of 'gozunda' is all emotive. In this case, quite disgusting, not that I'd put that past you gozunda given your continual ability to out shame yourself on climate related threads.

"This fells hate"??? Lol. That comment is about and links to the details of an article on the book written by Greta's mother. Plus this is my only comment in this thread. So can it sunshine.

Of course the post was directed at you. That's why I quoted you. That article is fowl. Why would you post such faeces here?

every time you are this unnecessarily rude i throw a wrapper out the window fyi

Hey, if you think pointing out facts is rude I can understand why you have a problem with Greta.

(Throw Dj Khaled out the window and you'll have my thanks though.)

Will it make more sense if I read it a second time?

No it makes no sense that the parents encouraged the child from what led her to self starvation and eventual hospilisation tbh. I hope they dont live to regret it tbh.

Of course the post was directed at you. That's why I quoted you. That article is fowl. Why would you post such faeces here?

The article is 'fowl'? You mean it's like a chicken or something? :confused: I think you may mean 'foul' as in distasteful. The article certainly spells it out - but no I do not see it as distasteful tbh. It's relevant because this thread is a discussion of the person detailed in that article.

The article deals with the details and subject of the mothers book about Greta - would you prefer that people shouldn't comment on what the mother has herself written about the child and the fact the child self declares she is a "16 year old climate activist with Asperger" on her own twitter profile. If you just personally dont like well I guess that's tough tbh.

Of note you did not direct the comment "at" me. You attacked a poster and tried to throw ****e. Afaik that is against boards ToU. Perhaps you really dont know that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but exactly long have you been around not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Bet after 3 days, she’ll have to be air lifted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

It doesn't.

If, for example, Dail Eireann decided to have a cross party environmental change bill developed and Greta was invited to by the Dail to attend it being signed in to law. Say, one TD had opposed the bill privately but on the day, when the media cameras were present, they posed with Greta for a picture and said they were in favour of it.

Now, that TD would have used her but it would not have meant the Dail did so as a body.

They’d be falling over themselves to give her the freedom of the city.

The mind boggles at the shítty worldview of anybody who, of all the problems on our planet, chooses to pick on this one to get upset. Always the low-hanging fruit. Never once getting upset about the staggering destruction of our world that is designed to feed the unquenchable appetite of our all-consuming capitalist society supplying so múch shít that the vast majority of us don't need. Consumerism is the drug, and our world is being destroyed because people are choosing to buy stuff they don't need - and, as anybody who was awake in Economics lectures would tell you, all this extra consumerism is not actually making people much happier: MU1>MU2>MU3......>MUn. Yet the buying, and therefore destruction, contines relentlessly.

For instance, the environmental destruction in Brazil at the moment under its crypto-fascist/authoritarian leader Jair Bolsonaro is unforgivable and the fact that he's sacking senior Brazilian science figures who criticise him is a statement of his intention. No threads by these people about that, curiously:

Brazil: huge rise in Amazon destruction under Bolsonaro, figures show (3 July 2019)

Bolsonaro rejects 'Captain Chainsaw' label as data shows deforestation 'exploded' (7 August 2019)

Brazil's research chief sacked after deforestation row with Bolsonaro

Some people just like being ignorant cúnts who get their kicks out of picking on the weaker targets in every aspect of life. Back in the 1920s/30s they would have been in fascist street gangs or joining the British Army to civilise savages in some benighted nether region of the Empire. Now, they're online warriors who are strictly dedicated to picking on softer targets.

• Advertisement

Do you have any idea what is being discussed here or do you really think that Greta sees herself as running anything?

These are her own words.
    "Some people have chosen not to come here today, some have chosen not to listen to us and that is fine, we are after all just children, you don't have to listen to us. But you do have to listen to the scientists, that is all we ask,"

These are also her words ...

From a speech Greta Thunberg gave to MPs at the Houses of Parliament in April
    Did you hear what I just said? Is my English OK? Is the microphone on? Because I’m beginning to wonder.

In an interview about her visit to the US and President Trump ...
    Why should I waste time talking to him when he, of course, is not going to listen to me?”

She certainly seems to believe she is running the show in these comments tbh ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

The article is 'fowl'? You mean it's like a chicken or something? :confused: I think you may mean 'foul' as in distasteful. The article certainly spells it out - but no I do not see it as distasteful tbh

The article deals with the details and subject of the mothers book about Greta - would you prefer that people shouldn't comment on what the mother has herself written about the child and the fact the child self declares she is a "16 year old climate activist with Asperger" on her own twitter profile. If you just personally dont like well I guess that's tough tbh.

Of note you did not direct the comment "at" me. You attacked a poster and tried to throw ****e. Afaik that is against boards ToU. Perhaps you really dont know that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but exactly long have you been posting here btw?

Grammar correcting is also against the charter. If your going to lecture someone on the charter perhaps don't break it twice in one post.

Anyway it's fascinating to see you and others hate towards her. Digging down deeper to throw whatever you can based on emotions.

If you don't see what's wrong with that article then that's on you.

Grammar correcting is also against the charter. If your going to lecture someone on the charter perhaps don't break it twice in one post.
    Anyway it's fascinating to see you and others hate towards her. Digging down deeper to throw whatever you can based on emotions.
    If you don't see what's wrong with that article then that's on you.

That wasn't grammar - in the context of the comment you used an incorrect word "fowl" as in chicken or poultry. And no clarifying that is not "against the charter" (sic). Attacking the poster is afaik.

There is no "hate" in my comment btw. This is a discussion however you may not like that. I dont account for anyone elses comments btw
    It's simply an article about a book written by her mother. If you have a problem with anything in that article - then write to the author and explain that you dont like any criticism or whatever.
    If others cannot voice an opinion on what has been written by the mother - then what you are suggesting is possibly of more concern than anything detailed in that article ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She’s an inspiration.

I have instructed my staff that they are to go completely vegan, and that they must improve my recycling.

From now on I’m going to reduce my use of the private jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Her carbon neutral journey didn't last long,she travelled in an engine propelled rib to her yacht!Surely she could have rowed!

I wonder how she will get home,she is heading out into a large swell she will be as sick as a dog!Her Goretex will keep her dry no doubt!

Like Malala Youafzai, Gretta, is in my opinion,the face of a band of influencers who work in the background to advance their own agendas.Her Autism is a non issue and should not be brought into the equation.

The problem is there will emerge a plethora of copycat band wagon jumpers who know all the problems but not the solutions......

downwesht wrote: »
    Her carbon neutral journey didn't last long,she travelled in an engine propelled rib to her yacht!Surely she could have rowed!

I wonder how she will get home,she is heading out into a large swell she will be as sick as a dog!Her Goretex will keep her dry no doubt!

Like Malala Youafzai, Gretta, is in my opinion,the face of a band of influencers who work in the background to advance their own agendas.Her Autism is a non issue and should not be brought into the equation.

The problem is there will emerge a plethora of copycat band wagon jumpers who know all the problems but not the solutions......

Advance their own agendas....

Greta - Talking about Climate change affecting the whole planet.
    Malala - Was shot in the head by Taliban for wanting to attend school.

GTFO of here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

lolo62 wrote: »
    I don't see Greta as an authority. Maybe looking up to her isn't the right term of phrase, I admire her, I find what she's doing highly inspiring. I also don't think she's trying to be an authority figure she's just saying what she thinks with complete conviction and trying to make a difference. This is not something we are used to seeing from children, particularly if you were raised in Ireland and I think that's why peoples feathers are ruffled.
    The reason I find what she's doing inspiring is because we don't live in a world where adults protect their children and create a society where their children can thrive. To admire what Greta is doing isn't putting unfair responsibility on her shoulders it's supporting one girl, who in my opinion, IS thriving despite the odds.

We’re so far apart on this one lola I’m not sure there’s going to be any agreement. I do see where you’re coming from and I get why you would admire her for her enthusiasm and her work. I admire her for that too. I think it’s great that she has such enthusiasm and passion for something she believes in.

This is absolutely something people are used to seeing in children no matter what country or society they were raised in, no matter what time they were raised in. According to Biblical accounts, Jesus was 12 when he started his journey of social justice advocacy :D But that’s why I said earlier that the idea of using children to promote adults beliefs is nothing new. Not too many are going to shoot the messenger when they’re a child, and the adults using the child as a shield know this. That’s what makes what the adults are doing wrong. That’s what ruffles my feathers. I don’t hold the child, Greta in this case, in any way responsible for “her” message.

I absolutely disagree with you that we don’t live in a world where adults protect their children and create a society where their children can thrive. That’s exactly what most adults do, and there will always be the few that will regale their children as the new Messiah. All bets are off when the child becomes an adult and then we can fire at will on the messenger, but while they’re a child, nobody is going to do that, because they believe children need protecting from adults who would seek to put any responsibility on a child before that child has developed the mental capacity and maturity to have adult interactions with adults.

I don’t find Greta the least bit inspirational, because she’s a child. I don’t take inspiration from children because my role in society as an adult is to inspire children so that when they become adults, they can do the things that adults do and they have the capacity to fully understand what they’re doing, as opposed to placing their trust in adults who it’s clear couldn’t care less about her welfare and care more about using a child to promote their own message and shield them and their message, from criticism. The novelty will wear off Greta when she grows up, only to have her replaced with another child. It’s very rare that children who attain fame in early childhood themselves go on to become mature adults who contribute to society.

So when a group of adults are demanding that people examine their attitudes to the long term welfare of our environment while using a child to do so, it’s only appropriate for other people to suggest that those people examine the long term consequences of their own actions first and what those actions could mean for a child that they’re supposed to protect from coming to harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think those who are discrediting her would change their view if they did their research on the future we will have if we don't act soon. The window is rapidly closing. I, for one, would hate to be a child today. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

380lu9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

We’re so far apart on this one lola I’m not sure there’s going to be any agreement. I do see where you’re coming from and I get why you would admire her for her enthusiasm and her work. I admire her for that too. I think it’s great that she has such enthusiasm and passion for something she believes in.

This is absolutely something people are used to seeing in children no matter what country or society they were raised in, no matter what time they were raised in. According to Biblical accounts, Jesus was 12 when he started his journey of social justice advocacy :D But that’s why I said earlier that the idea of using children to promote adults beliefs is nothing new. Not too many are going to shoot the messenger when they’re a child, and the adults using the child as a shield know this. That’s what makes what the adults are doing wrong. That’s what ruffles my feathers. I don’t hold the child, Greta in this case, in any way responsible for “her” message.

I absolutely disagree with you that we don’t live in a world where adults protect their children and create a society where their children can thrive. That’s exactly what most adults do, and there will always be the few that will regale their children as the new Messiah. All bets are off when the child becomes an adult and then we can fire at will on the messenger, but while they’re a child, nobody is going to do that, because they believe children need protecting from adults who would seek to put any responsibility on a child before that child has developed the mental capacity and maturity to have adult interactions with adults.

I don’t find Greta the least bit inspirational, because she’s a child. I don’t take inspiration from children because my role in society as an adult is to inspire children so that when they become adults, they can do the things that adults do and they have the capacity to fully understand what they’re doing, as opposed to placing their trust in adults who it’s clear couldn’t care less about her welfare and care more about using a child to promote their own message and shield them and their message, from criticism. The novelty will wear off Greta when she grows up, only to have her replaced with another child. It’s very rare that children who attain fame in early childhood themselves go on to become mature adults who contribute to society.

So when a group of adults are demanding that people examine their attitudes to the long term welfare of our environment while using a child to do so, it’s only appropriate for other people to suggest that those people examine the long term consequences of their own actions first and what those actions could mean for a child that they’re supposed to protect from coming to harm.

I personally amn't used to seeing children speak so clearly and with such conviction. I have worked as a teacher for 20 years and when I come across a child that speaks with a power that is all their own it stops me in my tracks. (Most just regurgitate their narcissistic parents BS and are controlled/micromanaged to within an inch of their lives.) I once had a child of 7 I taught instrumental music to who used to say the most profound things to me and I felt it was my duty to give her the space to do that each week, even though the jaded teacher in me just wanted to tell her to stop talking and do what I wanted her to do.
    I think Greta is on her own journey. I really don't believe she's being coerced or pushed onto her platform, but I haven't read books written by her parents etc so maybe people who have are looking a bit deeper into things and drawing different conclusions based on that.
    What group of adults do you think are demanding that people examine their attitudes to the long term welfare of our environment while using a child (Greta) to do so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement