Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.

But didn't they play her mother's message over a loud speaker? I think they were so close to finding her alive which is what upsets me the most.

It could simply be that she was totally confused and disorientated. Perhaps a girl without her difficulties would allow themselves be found.

It's just an awful tragedy. It might have been pure bad luck that she wasn't spotted at some point, even though they were doing everything possible to find her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Strazdas wrote: »
    It could simply be that she was totally confused and disorientated. Perhaps a girl without her difficulties would allow themselves be found.

It's just an awful tragedy. It might have been pure bad luck that she wasn't spotted at some point, even though they were doing everything possible to find her.

Yeah I agree. I think a girl without the disabilities would likely have been found. The more I think about it, the more it's distressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I would prefer to see an independent investigation into this awful tragedy. I can see a scenario where the Malaysian authorities would cover up aspects of this story in order to protect their tourism industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just on the news , Nóra had a upper gastrointestinal bleed from a duodenal ulcer . The poor pet , her poor family my heart breaks for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I get very anxious when I hear about this case. Christ knows what Nóra's family are going through, it's a nightmare. I remember getting lost when I was a kid, a simple thing: I ran ahead and instead of going under a bridge I took steps and went up over it, all my family were below parents and siblings wondering where I'd disappeared to, and I was immeadiately seperated from them not knowing where they were. I wasn't gone long, it was daylight and I had the sense to move back the way I came instead of moving forward. I was about six years of age and in a suburb of county Dublin I was scared out of my wits and so were the others.

I can't even begin to imagine the terror of this. Poor girl. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The amount of Inspector Gadget's on this thread is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Pretzill wrote: »
    I get very anxious when I hear about this case. Christ knows what Nóra's family are going through, it's a nightmare. I remember getting lost when I was a kid, a simple thing: I ran ahead and instead of going under a bridge I took steps and went up over it, all my family were below parents and siblings wondering where I'd disappeared to, and I was immeadiately seperated from them not knowing where they were. I wasn't gone long, it was daylight and I had the sense to move back the way I came instead of moving forward. I was about six years of age and in a suburb of county Dublin I was scared out of my wits and so were the others.

I can't even begin to imagine the terror of this. Poor girl. RIP

Yeah I have a similar memory. I was up ahead on a trail, took the wrong fork, had to back track. Only felt 'lost' for about three minutes but was practically hyperventilating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not sure if anyone else heard the guy on with Ivan Yates this evening (between say 1715/30)?

He was some kind of expert on Malaysia and it's rainforests, and said that it was absolutely plausible that even an able bodied person could become lost/disoriented and perish in the Malaysian rainforest where Nora's life ended.

He also warned against the dangers of drinking from the streams in the area due to poo/pee (his words) contamination.

And before anyone asks, no he wasn't some govt hack or tourism industry representative, in fact I don't think he was even Malaysian, he spoke with a fairly heavy accent, although I'm unsure from where.

Anyway, puts some of the speculation in these threads into perspective, it would appear going on the initial autopsy, and from a Malay rainforest expert that this was a horrible, and tragic accident, something that Nora's poor family will be carrying with them the rest of their lives, even though it was no fault of their own.

On the face of it, they took their kids on a once in a lifetime absolutely fantastic holiday trip which turned into a living nightmare for them all in less than 24hrs.

It's as sad a tale as I've come across in probably forever, my own kids have been away with their mum for a few days now leaving me in a big empty house on my own, but you can be dam sure the TV/computer or any other distraction will be put away tomorrow evening, and the hugs, the quality time together will be savoured so much more.

Absolutely heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seamus wrote: »
    I can't really read much about this, I find it too upsetting.

But given the details of the autopsy, I would like Nora's parents to be able to avail of an independent autopsy at no cost to themselves, if they so wish.

I'm not going to go into speculation, but I wouldn't be satisfied with the outcome. I would want to repatriate her and get a second opinion.

but an autopsy has be done within days of death to be accurate doesn't it?? by the time her remains return home it'll be too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

In UK crime doc programs, I see helicopters can pick up criminals hiding in woodland at night using body heat sensing equipment. Was this deployed here in the early stages of search?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fryup wrote: »
    but an autopsy has be done within days of death to be accurate doesn't it?? by the time her remains return home it'll be too late
    Yes and no. It certainly helps, and later autopsies often rely on photographs, video and descriptions from the original coronor. But it's not uncommon for exhumations and autopsies to be carried out even years after the original death.

You will lose some of the more subtle details. But because the individual is dead, any physical damage won't have repaired itself and will still be visible and the embalming fluids (or freezer if it's a recent enough death) will have drastically slowed any decay.

In UK crime doc programs, I see helicopters can pick up criminals hiding in woodland at night using body heat sensing equipment. Was this deployed here in the early stages of search?

I believe so in fact, I heard it mentioned during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I believe so in fact, I heard it mentioned during the week

What's the background temperature in the rainforest?

GreeBo wrote: »

I'm not sure but I was reading that the very thick undergrowth was hampering their use of thermal imaging.

I would prefer to see an independent investigation into this awful tragedy. I can see a scenario where the Malaysian authorities would cover up aspects of this story in order to protect their tourism industry.
    GreeBo wrote: »

:rolleyes:

Seriously, have you nothing better to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Jesus sounds awful I know asked about the holiday in a jungle it was just a honest thought
    No one expected this outcome
    It’s making me cry and sick thinking about the poor girl and family

Looks like I have just as much to do as your good self.

Thermal Imaging doesn't work too well if the ambient temperature is close to that of a human body...perhaps if we had the technology to spot virtue signalling we'd find you more quickly.

I'm not sure but I was reading that the very thick undergrowth was hampering their use of thermal imaging.

The ambient temp would render them pretty useless I reckon, cant spot 36* if its 40* everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

seamus wrote: »
    Yes and no. It certainly helps, and later autopsies often rely on photographs, video and descriptions from the original coronor. But it's not uncommon for exhumations and autopsies to be carried out even years after the original death.

You will lose some of the more subtle details. But because the individual is dead, any physical damage won't have repaired itself and will still be visible and the embalming fluids (or freezer if it's a recent enough death) will have drastically slowed any decay.

Are you a pathologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Honestly, it's ridiculous

• Advertisement

Nóra’s parents can be very proud in that they provided their special daughter with a wonderfully enriched life. She had fragile health where just everyday living was hazardous, yet she got to experience a life most children never enjoy. Sadly a misadventure led to her death. No doubt lessons learned by the world of family tourism will make it that bit safer for families with children like Nóra to enjoy adventurous travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Says 2 saps who are commenting themselves haha
    Honestly, it's ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

It is very sad and even though I have no connection to Nóra or her family I feel like crying when I think about she died according to the autopsy results. To be on her own for so long, she must have been so confused and terrified.

I know this is not important but how much coverage did UK news channels give this story? I had myself convinced that this would end happily and occasionally turned on BBC News and Sky News since they are live and RTÉ News Now repeats the same news programme until the next lunchtime or Six One news. I expected it to be main story on both and to Sky News do nothing else except talk about even when there is no new information like they usually do. I saw nothing about Nóra at all until the BBC put up a breaking news headline the day the child was found. Did I some how just miss all the coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

I see the typical name calling and bickering doesn’t stop even for a heartbreaking story like this.

In the time it takes to type out a comment can people not process the fact that they are being a complete tool?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

God bless her family. I doubt they will ever truly know what happened that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

I see the typical name calling and bickering doesn’t stop even for a heartbreaking story like this.

In the time it takes to type out a comment can people not process the fact that they are being a complete tool?

Indeed. For the good of all this thread should now be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Indeed. For the good of all this thread should now be locked.

Why don't you just unfollow it and not visit the thread anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why don't you just unfollow it and not visit the thread anymore?

Because it provides a platform for the unhelpful and the virtue signalers and because of this

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0817/1069297-nora-body-family/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A total tragedy for everyone involved. I don't think there's anyone at fault although people will point fingers I think it's just one moment out of this young girls life that will haunt her family and sadly resulted in the worst outcome for herself.

And hopefully it's a warning to others that developing countries have extremely basic services and amenities unless it's at the high end of the scale. Places like Bangkok, Manila, Bali on a low to mid-range budget in my opinion aren't for toddlers or for people with special needs. They're hot and humid places and have people that prey on vulnerable people in the tourists zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Advertisement