Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭igotissues

I'm taking that to mean the granddad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He probably means well but yesterday he was rambling a bit to anyone who would listen about the funeral being in France or N Ireland and I think Nora’s mother in particular has probably had enough rumors and wild speculation without the grandad making it worse.

It is very sad and even though I have no connection to Nóra or her family I feel like crying when I think about she died according to the autopsy results. To be on her own for so long, she must have been so confused and terrified.

I know this is not important but how much coverage did UK news channels give this story? I had myself convinced that this would end happily and occasionally turned on BBC News and Sky News since they are live and RTÉ News Now repeats the same news programme until the next lunchtime or Six One news. I expected it to be main story on both and to Sky News do nothing else except talk about even when there is no new information like they usually do. I saw nothing about Nóra at all until the BBC put up a breaking news headline the day the child was found. Did I some how just miss all the coverage?

Uk news have been having an unusually busy time considering it is still “silly season” as they used to call it. Brexit, BJ JCs ludicrous proposal during the week, a policeman murdered.... but they did cover Nora’s disappearance and the BBC sent a reporter to stand outside the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

splinter65 wrote: »
    He probably means well but yesterday he was rambling a bit to anyone who would listen about the funeral being in France or N Ireland and I think Nora’s mother in particular has probably had enough rumors and wild speculation without the grandad making it worse.

All the indications are that poor Nora's death was a tragic accident and that is also the view of her parents.

The wild conspiracy theories from people not even in Malaysia are unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strazdas wrote: »
    All the indications are that poor Nora's death was a tragic accident and that is also the view of her parents.

The wild conspiracy theories from people not even in Malaysia are unhelpful.

The decent, respectful thing to do is to stop the speculation, conspiracy stuff until the parents themselves raise issues.

But I can't see that happening unfortunately among the perpetually suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The decent, respectful thing to do is to stop the speculation, conspiracy stuff until the parents themselves raise issues.

But I can't see that happening unfortunately among the perpetually suspicious.

You’re speculating that the speculation won’t stop?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You’re speculating that the speculation won’t stop?

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont see anything more to speculate anyway. Four forensic scientists, one of whom is internationally renowned, have said it was a tragedy due to starvation. They found nothing untoward to suggest foul play and stated there were no marks or evidence to point at an abduction. Their work will be verified by another autopsy in the UK and Id fully expect that to concur. Cries of a cover up at this stage are tin foil hat nonsense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

ILoveYourVibes I deleted your post as its speculation, anymore of this and cards will be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Look if the mod is gonna constantly delete posts then just lock the thread.

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »

It should be open for fact based news on the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The Mods are doing a sterling job here.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We are removing speculation, while doing our best to leave the thread open for genuine comment. You will notice that there are plenty of posts in the thread, the majority of which have not breached the guidelines laid down by the mods.

If you have a problem here, direct it toward the posters who cannot follow the guidelines.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

I heard on the news that the Lucie Blackman Trust said people claiming to represent the family are making “unhelpful comments”. What is that about?

Because it provides a platform for the unhelpful and the virtue signalers and because of this

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0817/1069297-nora-body-family/

That article doesn’t explain what these “unhelpful comments” are and I see nothing that indicates boards.ie as a part of it.

Even though none of us are involved many people on the thread really care and feel upset. People want/need someplace to ask questions about it just give condolences even if the family never see it. Even just my first post here allowed me to vent the upset a little.

Closing the thread is not how you deal with the jackasses - that is just giving in.

igotissues wrote: »
    I'm taking that to mean the granddad

I doubt it. They’d just tell him themselves - but extreme to do so via the media.

My first thought is are people harassing the Malaysian authorities by phone and social media?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Uk news have been having an unusually busy time considering it is still “silly season” as they used to call it. Brexit, BJ JCs ludicrous proposal during the week, a policeman murdered.... but they did cover Nora’s disappearance and the BBC sent a reporter to stand outside the hospital.

The policeman was murdered around the time of the autopsy so that doesn’t really factor in but Brexit is indeed the one that prevented the coverage.

People in the UK must be going demented listening to that non-stop garbage - it is the main think on their news for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

There should be a device around the leg or arm available to the carers of special need persons when they go to holidays to locate them in those situations. special need person could be lost in the city or in the jungle. you can't really blame the parents, nobody can stay awake 24/7 or can predict all the eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    There should be a device around the leg or arm available to the carers of special need persons when they go to holidays to locate them in those situations. special need person could be lost in the city or in the jungle. you can't really blame the parents, nobody can stay awake 24/7 or can predict all the eventualities.

I think parents should look at something like this and it's certainly not the responsibility of any resort to provide such devices.

Plenty of devices on the market aimed at those with dementia and in a more everyday use, lone worker protection.

There's an Irish company in Wicklow that has developed and supplies these to the likes of ESB, security companies, ordnance survey and many others

Maybe such a recommendation by those in the disability sector for such devices is something positive that could come from this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The devices worn by the elderly are alert buttons, not trackers! They're connected to the phone system in their homes and when pressed call a control centre who can get assistance for the individual by calling family members or an ambulance. They don't work beyond a limited radius from the phone point - basically the house and garden. And the wearer needs to have the wherewithal to press the button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The devices worn by the elderly are alert buttons, not trackers! They're connected to the phone system in their homes and when pressed call a control centre who can get assistance for the individual by calling family members or an ambulance. They don't work beyond a limited radius from the phone point - basically the house and garden. And the wearer needs to have the wherewithal to press the button.

But wouldn't it be easy enough to have a pendant or bracelet with a gps chip inserted, which could be tracked easily enough? Some people have a gps tracker attached to their dog’s collar so the technology already exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

But wouldn't it be easy enough to have a pendant or bracelet with a gps chip inserted, which could be tracked easily enough? Some people have a gps tracker attached to their dog’s collar so the technology already exists.

Why is there no fitbit style watch that has gps and maybe built in internet like the star one or whatever it is called in cars. Then, everyone could have one and if you got lost have an emergency button to activate the gps or if someone has special needs have it on at all times.

For goodness sake, my dad has a wallet that beeps if he goes away from it with his phone and you can use your phone to track it. The tech already exsists. Should be built into wearable tech.

Flying into KL last night I was flying over the jungle and couldn't help having a wee cry thinking of the poor wee thing lost there. My mate who has been writing for the Irish Times is due to arrive at my apartment any time now and I know she is shook up by it all so we will probably have a wee chat about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If only it was that easy. Due to sensory issues my daughter will not wear watches, wristbands etc & nearly throws up if she sees jewellery. Sensory issues are extremely common in such kids.

Knine wrote: »
    If only it was that easy. Due to sensory issues my daughter will not wear watches, wristbands etc & nearly throws up if she sees jewellery. Sensory issues are extremely common in such kids.

I think that we’re not very far away now from a “chip” under the skin that will in fact be a tracker for vulnerable people and probably, ultimately, criminals on early release, probation, suspended sentence etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Knine wrote: »

Ok, I don’t know how big a gps chip would be, but could little secret flaps be sewn into clothes to “hide” the chip? I know it’s a bit underhanded but could literally be a lifesaver in some situations. I realise that it would not have helped Nora as she was lightly clothed when she went missing, but could still help others, especially when in strange or high stress environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

A CIT lecturer was on The late late explaining that he has a chip already inserted into his finger. It will be common place going forward for everyone, to pay for items using the chip, entering buildings instead of id etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Witchie wrote: »
    Why is there no fitbit style watch that has gps and maybe built in internet like the star one or whatever it is called in cars. Then, everyone could have one and if you got lost have an emergency button to activate the gps or if someone has special needs have it on at all times.

For goodness sake, my dad has a wallet that beeps if he goes away from it with his phone and you can use your phone to track it. The tech already exsists. Should be built into wearable tech.

Flying into KL last night I was flying over the jungle and couldn't help having a wee cry thinking of the poor wee thing lost there. My mate who has been writing for the Irish Times is due to arrive at my apartment any time now and I know she is shook up by it all so we will probably have a wee chat about it all.

Might be easy to do where there is ubiquitous mobile phone coverage but even somewhere like Ireland you are advised not to depend on this sort of technology hillwalking in our relatively tiny mountains.

There's plenty of remote places (only a few miles from civilisation or a road) and not so remote places (even along R or N roads) in Ireland where there's no signal.

Dense foliage will block GPS, you generally need a reasonable signal from at least three (preferably four or more) GPS satellites to get a location fix. Even after that you need a working radio network to send that location to a receiver somewhere else.

In dense jungle and topographically challenging terrain neither are likely to work. Having something the size of a pendant, watch or even a phone to do this just isn't feasible.

As another poster already pointed out a thermal imaging camera isn't effective through dense vegetation where there isn't much difference between the ambient temperature and skin temperature.

Unfortunately technology doesn't have an answer for everything.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A CIT lecturer was on The late late explaining that he has a chip already inserted into his finger. It will be common place going forward for everyone, to pay for items using the chip, entering buildings instead of id etc.

I really do not fancy the idea of someone cutting my finger off to access my money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Why would you put a GPS tracker on someone who never wandered away before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Darc19 wrote: »
    I think parents should look at something like this and it's certainly not the responsibility of any resort to provide such devices.

Plenty of devices on the market aimed at those with dementia and in a more everyday use, lone worker protection.

There's an Irish company in Wicklow that has developed and supplies these to the likes of ESB, security companies, ordnance survey and many others

Maybe such a recommendation by those in the disability sector for such devices is something positive that could come from this
    Correct, I didn't say it should be given for free, It should be available to buy and carers should be informed about it, that is all.

Advertisement