Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Why would you put a GPS tracker on someone who never wandered away before?
    The question should be: What is the chance of this person would wander away ?. If the chance is negligible you don't put GPS tracker. It is like putting a seat built and airbags on someone who never had a car accident before, GPS tracker should make life better for a SNP as carers will feel more comfortable taking them to holidays, parks and shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GPS in locations like this won't give you pinpoint locations... more like 1mile radius which is pretty much what they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

GreeBo wrote: »
    GPS in locations like this won't give you pinpoint locations... more like 1mile radius which is pretty much what they had.

She was found 2 km away so a 1 mile radius would have helped somewhat. You would also know that she was in the area somewhere and not abducted etc.
    Some of those systems can be tracked better from the ground to give you a direction to move towards.
    Obviously not a perfect system but could be really helpful in situations like these

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A CIT lecturer was on The late late explaining that he has a chip already inserted into his finger. It will be common place going forward for everyone, to pay for items using the chip, entering buildings instead of id etc.

That is an absolutely bloody awful idea.

It sounds almost like biblical revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    The question should be: What is the chance of this person would wander away ?. If the chance is negligible you don't put GPS tracker. It is like putting a seat built and airbags on someone who never had a car accident before, GPS tracker should make life better for a SNP as carers will feel more comfortable taking them to holidays, parks and shopping.

In Nora's case the fact that she had never done this before suggests the chance was nil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Sardonicat wrote: »
    In Nora's case the fact that she had never done this before suggests the chance was nil.
    Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Beasty wrote: »
    I really do not fancy the idea of someone cutting my finger off to access my money

Or the tech company tracking how many times you scratched your arse.

Seriously though it's not as simple as putting a GPS tag on special need children. As for the most part it's not easy getting them to keep something on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Not the case AFAIK, it would have to be a pretty deep gorge to affect reception/ transmission. And would have worked well showing the route the person took leading into any places where reception/ transmission would be affected. Even 'cheap' phone GPS chips can give location now to circa +/- 10 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not the case AFAIK, it would have to be a pretty deep gorge to affect reception/ transmission. And would have worked well showing the route the person took leading into any places where reception/ transmission would be affected. Even 'cheap' phone GPS chips can give location now to circa +/- 10 metres.

It's not the phone it's the satellite coverage that's the problem.

It's not the phone it's the satellite coverage that's the problem.

Why do you suppose that? Malaysia is at reasonably central latitude and not that far in global terms from other developed countries.

I've never been there but I can't see any general reason why GPS satellites would not be visible to a receiver, other than if one was in a deep gorge which can apply most anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What is the latest on this topic? I hope it was just a case of the wee girl wandering off but is their any evidence to suggest otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

The family are waiting on results of tests e.g. DNA

timthumbni wrote: »
    What is the latest on this topic? I hope it was just a case of the wee girl wandering off but is their any evidence to suggest otherwise?

It was reported by RTÉ this morning that Nóra was found 600 meters from the cabin she was staying in - I think this is reported in one of the papers but not sure which one.
    So, much closer to where she went missing from than originally reported. This makes more sense given her limited physical abilities as reported by the parents.
    So tragic though that the search parties didn’t find her- just shows how challenging the environment is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

It was reported by RTÉ this morning that Nóra was found 600 meters from the cabin she was staying in - I think this is reported in one of the papers but not sure which one.
    So, much closer to where she went missing from than originally reported. This makes more sense given her limited physical abilities as reported by the parents.
    So tragic though that the search parties didn’t find her- just shows how challenging the environment is.

It sounds like she just wandered off. That would be the best outcome for all concerned as if she was taken then that would be a different story.

Hearing her mums recorded voice being used by the searchers is something that will stay with me for a long, long time. As a parent myself it’s completely heartbreaking.

If that's the case, it raises even more concerns about the efficiency with which the search was conducted. Other odd aspects too regarding her exit from the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I believe it's front page of one of the red tops, The Star maybe.

The authorities had been saying all along they reckoned she would not be far away from the house. It’s puzzling what in particular stopped her scent being apparent to the dogs beyond the point where they could detect it, but I’m sure there are answers to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If that's the case, it raises even more concerns about the efficiency with which the search was conducted. Other odd aspects too regarding her exit from the accommodation.

It's possible that Nora had changed locations ie. the area is searched, she's not there but arrives there subsequently

The huge mystery is why she ever left her bedroom. Apparently this was totally out of character for, extremely unusual. We might never get the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

But wasn't it reported that she was found beside a waterfall that was two km away, now she is 600m away.

In regards to the above comment on how difficult the terrain must be, the reality is that the more difficult the terrain = the more evidence is left by someone trying to travel through it, literally hundreds of people searching for her for 9 days and she is 600m away, shocking that they didn't find her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's possible that Nora had changed locations ie. the area is searched, she's not there but arrives there subsequently

The huge mystery is why she ever left her bedroom. Apparently this was totally out of character for, extremely unusual. We might never get the answer.

Possibly jet lag had a role to play , maybe she woke to go to the loo and was disoriented and groggy . Mistook the window for a door and somehow got lost and went deeper instead of turning back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why do you suppose that? Malaysia is at reasonably central latitude and not that far in global terms from other developed countries.

I've never been there but I can't see any general reason why GPS satellites would not be visible to a receiver, other than if one was in a deep gorge which can apply most anywhere.

I spent a week there. Never was I sitjou GPS or 4G data. Wether in a city or a small island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I live in Kuala Lumpur and coverage is fantastic but like anywhere can have black patches. For some reason Jalan Tun Razak is one area. Anyway, doesn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

JJayoo wrote: »
    But wasn't it reported that she was found beside a waterfall that was two km away, now she is 600m away.

In regards to the above comment on how difficult the terrain must be, the reality is that the more difficult the terrain = the more evidence is left by someone trying to travel through it, literally hundreds of people searching for her for 9 days and she is 600m away, shocking that they didn't find her.

Really don't get how you can know all these things.

Are you allowing for the terrain at all. She could have fallen down a gap or something.

Also, you don't know fully what happened to Nora, maybe she was running away in a confused state from people calling her name?

It's a very sad and tragic case, and all these armchair experts casting aspersions on the Malaysian police from thousands of kilometeres away without any facts or knowledge of the area are just not helping anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seems to be a lot more to this case than we the public are hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Seems to be a lot more to this case than we the public are hearing

How do you figure that?

murpho999 wrote: »

Really don't get how you can know all these things.

Are you allowing for the terrain at all. She could have fallen down a gap or something.

Also, you don't know fully what happened to Nora, maybe she was running away in a confused state from people calling her name?

It's a very sad and tragic case, and all these armchair experts casting aspersions on the Malaysian police from thousands of kilometeres away without any facts or knowledge of the area are just not helping anything really.

Did you actually read my post?

The official story was always reported that she was found beside a waterfall approx 2 km away, how reports are saying she was 600m away.

My comment about the harder the terrain = more evidence is left when someone travels through it isn't my opinion it's just a fact.

And I never once said I knew what happened, no one does. She was 600m away with hundreds of people looking for her and wasn't found for 9 days. It's terrible.

Did you actually read my post?

The official story was always reported that she was found beside a waterfall approx 2 km away, how reports are saying she was 600m away.

My comment about the harder the terrain = more evidence is left when someone travels through it isn't my opinion it's just a fact.

And I never once said I knew what happened, no one does. She was 600m away with hundreds of people looking for her and wasn't found for 9 days. It's terrible.

Yes I did read your story and I simply don't get what your post and others is trying to achieve.

600m or 2k. It doesn't matter.

It's also a circle they have to search not just one area 2k or 600m away.

It's a tragedy, there's no foul play suspected and Nora has sadly passed away.

What you're looking for or hoping to gain with these posts is beyond me.

Finding a person in terrain like that is not as easy as you're trying to make out.

murpho999 wrote: »

What you're looking for or hoping to gain with these posts is beyond me.

This is a forum where people discuss different topics, I'm sorry if this concept is "beyond you"

And if the official police story changes so much, 2km beside a waterfall --> 600 m away, and if with sniffer dogs, official report they lost the scent after 100m, and trained search and rescue you can't find someone in 9 days, not to mention the hundreds of volunteers, then it's not corruption but completely inadequate resources that's the issue.

This is a forum where people discuss different topics, I'm sorry if this concept is "beyond you"

And if the official police story changes so much, 2km beside a waterfall --> 600 m away, and if with sniffer dogs, official report they lost the scent after 100m, and trained search and rescue you can't find someone in 9 days, not to mention the hundreds of volunteers, then it's not corruption but completely inadequate resources that's the issue.

No need to be so patronising or use inverted commas.

I just don't agree with people adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 5.

Case is very simple and clear cut to me and tragic. Nothing internet posters can change.

Anyhow, not going to engage further at risk of being dragged down to lower level and derailing the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Nora's death was very tragic. It's difficult to understand why she wasn't found sonner, but it's also hard to believe that an elaborate cover up is going on.

I know that the suggested motive for a cover up is to protect tourism, but the impact on tourism of the police and the coroner's office being involved in a cover up in such circumstances would be far, far worse if they were to be found to have done this. I find it hard to believe that they would take such a risk.

I hope that her family find some solace in the knowledge that they did everything they could to save her and that they provided her with as rich and full a life as possible during her short time with them.

Advertisement