Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Funeral for Nora today in Belfast, wishing her family strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,561 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/18/nora-quoirin-parents-criminal-element-involved-in-death-malaysia

The parents of Nora Quoirin, the London teenager found dead in a Malaysian jungle, have said they believe there was a criminal element involved in her death, and called for Malaysian authorities to open an inquest.

Speaking publicly for the first time since the death of 15-year-old Nora, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin said many questions remain unanswered. “We believe it is a basic human right and democratic duty to seek truth and justice for Nora,” her father said in an interview with the Irish broadcaster RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Skyfloater

And what's that going to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wasn’t the child in the care of her parents when she went missing? Bit rich for them to sue the resort for negligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Wasn’t the child in the care of her parents when she went missing? Bit rich for them to sue the resort for negligence.
    I think it's strange that a kid like her would wander off in the middle of the night in a strange place. She had a physical disability that made it hard for her to walk, let alone navigate getting to the waterfall. I'm not saying there's foul play but I do think it's worth investigating.

wyrn wrote: »
    I think it's strange that a kid like her would wander off in the middle of the night in a strange place. She had a physical disability that made it hard for her to walk, let alone navigate getting to the waterfall. I'm not saying there's foul play but I do think it's worth investigating.

Wasn’t she found quite close to the house, with no signs of foul play?

Wasn’t she found quite close to the house, with no signs of foul play?
    I can't remember how far away it was, but if it was quite close to the house - why didn't they find her sooner? I know, I know it's a jungle. I still don't get how she navigated the stairs down, which I think were spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It was investigated by the Malaysian police. Its heart-breaking for her family but prolonging the situation it's going to achieve anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

RoryMac wrote: »
    It was investigated by the Malaysian police. Its heart-breaking for her family but prolonging the situation it's going to achieve anything

There has not been an inquest. How Nora was able to get out and move through the jungle herself despite her mobility issues has not been adequately explained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I can't remember how far away it was, but if it was quite close to the house - why didn't they find her sooner? I know, I know it's a jungle. I still don't get how she navigated the stairs down, which I think were spiral.

Nora was found 1.5 Kms away from the house .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

All the usual perfect parents here I see seizing any opportunity to give grieving parents a good old battering.
    If this child’s family think that their daughter was abducted and/or the police investigation into her death was botched/fraudulent then why shouldn’t they take further action?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There has not been an inquest. How Nora was able to get out and move through the jungle herself despite her mobility issues has not been adequately explained.

She was also found naked and in plain sight, in an area that had been previously searched a number of times.
    Coupled with her disability and mobility issues, that's all extremely suspicious and I don't blame her parents for seeking answers.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    She was also found naked and in plain sight, in an area that had been previously searched a number of times.
    Coupled with her disability and mobility issues, that's all extremely suspicious and I don't blame her parents for seeking answers.
    The naked thing could be explained logically by a fever / dehydration. But I find it hard to see how the search party missed her. She didn't have the mental / physical capabilities of being evasive and she couldn't have gone far.

Even if Nora had tragically slipped out of the house and gotten lost, there's still questions to answer for over the authorities handled the situation. It does look a bit like they didn't want the tourist spot to have negative publicity in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They have wisely allowed time to let them get over the height of their grief so they can see the situation calmly with less high emotion and more intent.

These are good people; and yes there are issues not cleared as other posters have rightly outlined . Good fortune and success to them, and peace and closure.

I certainly would have thought an inquest at least would have benefitted both the family and the local authorities to maybe answer some of the issues.

Unfortunately sometimes there are no answers.

The resort by its very remote and wild environment is probably what attracted them to holiday there so I wonder what alleged negligence the resort owner has, I see the window and lack of security/gates etc is mentioned.

splinter65 wrote: »
    All the usual perfect parents here I see seizing any opportunity to give grieving parents a good old battering.
    If this child’s family think that their daughter was abducted and/or the police investigation into her death was botched/fraudulent then why shouldn’t they take further action?

What has a suspected abduction or a police botch job got to do with suing the resort?? Do they believe the resort owners abducted her or botched the police enquiry?

I agree. But is is a case here that the parents want an investigation but do not want to be any part or subject to that investigation themselves?

I agree. But is is a case here that the parents want an investigation but do not want to be any part or subject to that investigation themselves?

Why would they be?

Why would they be?

Any proper investigation would have to involve all who were close to or potential witness to what happened. How could they not be interviewed and questioned as part of it?

• Advertisement

Any proper investigation would have to involve all who were close to or potential witness to what happened. How could they not be interviewed and questioned as part of it?

Did the Malaysian cops not interview them?

They are asking for an inquest, which is perfectly reasonable. The denial of that request has prompted them to sue the resort, presumably in an attempt to address some questions that would have been considered by an inquest.

Did the Malaysian cops not interview them?

They are asking for an inquest, which is perfectly reasonable. The denial of that request has prompted them to sue the resort, presumably in an attempt to address some questions that would have been considered by an inquest.

As I recall they became reluctant to co-operate with the Malaysian police after a few days, perhaps for very understandable reasons, and lawyer-ed up.
    I'm not casting any aspersions on them, I'm sure they are doing the right thing. But if they have a fresh inquiry they will need to be interviewed and give evidence again. From listening to recent interviews I'm not sure they are prepared to do that. I might be wrong though.

What has a suspected abduction or a police botch job got to do with suing the resort?? Do they believe the resort owners abducted her or botched the police enquiry?

Maybe they do? Maybe they think an employee of the resort has questions to answer? You have absolutely no idea of any of the details of the investigation into the child’s disappearance (neither do I ) and I suspect that you don’t really care much either.
    You are just delighted with the vague opportunity (for reasons known only to yourself) to criticize and cast suspicion and aspersions on parents that you know absolutely nothing about but who have suffered a tragedy. You have no evidence that they are deserving of critiscm or suspicion but you’re not going to let that stop you.
    Who wants to do that? Only you can answer that.

As I recall they became reluctant to co-operate with the Malaysian police after a few days, perhaps for very understandable reasons, and lawyer-ed up.
    I'm not casting any aspersions on them, I'm sure they are doing the right thing. But if they have a fresh inquiry they will need to be interviewed and give evidence again. From listening to recent interviews I'm not sure they are prepared to do that. I might be wrong though.
    “Lawyered-up”,”not casting any aspersions”, no, of course not, heaven forbid....you’re just, well....”not sure”.... of course you “might be wrong” (you just don’t think you are).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The parents are claiming that the resorts security was lax , the gate was left open and they felt it should have been locked

“Lawyered-up”,”not casting any aspersions”, no, of course not, heaven forbid....you’re just, well....”not sure”.... of course you “might be wrong” (you just don’t think you are).

If the topic is up for discussion it will be discussed. Deal with it.

Maybe they do? Maybe they think an employee of the resort has questions to answer? You have absolutely no idea of any of the details of the investigation into the child’s disappearance (neither do I ) and I suspect that you don’t really care much either.
    You are just delighted with the vague opportunity (for reasons known only to yourself) to criticize and cast suspicion and aspersions on parents that you know absolutely nothing about but who have suffered a tragedy. You have no evidence that they are deserving of critiscm or suspicion but you’re not going to let that stop you.
    Who wants to do that? Only you can answer that.

Great imagination there.

I hold no suspicions that the parents had anything to do with her disappearance. From police statements and what was reported it seems like a tragic accident. But I don’t see how the hotel can be liable for a child going missing and consequently dying when she was in the care of her parents and the police have found no suspicious circumstances.

If the topic is up for discussion it will be discussed. Deal with it.

Oh lord sorry if I’ve offended you. Of course I’m not casting any aspersions on your character. I don’t think at all that you’re pretending to defend the bereaved parents when in actuality your trying to get a few sneaky digs in. Of course, I could be wrong about that....

Great imagination there.

I hold no suspicions that the parents had anything to do with her disappearance. From police statements and what was reported it seems like a tragic accident. But I don’t see how the hotel can be liable for a child going missing and consequently dying when she was in the care of her parents and the police have found no suspicious circumstances.

But how could you “see” anything when you know absolutely nothing about it?
    Why don’t you want due process to take place? You know, an actual court case where all the evidence will be laid out?
    Why are you summarily dismissing evidence you haven’t actually seen or heard yet?
    Could it be that you’ve decided that the parents are to blame for the death of their daughter and any other conclusion will mean that you are wrong and that’s just not on?

• Advertisement

Oh lord sorry if I’ve offended you. Of course I’m not casting any aspersions on your character. I don’t think at all that you’re pretending to defend the bereaved parents when in actuality your trying to get a few sneaky digs in. Of course, I could be wrong about that....

Why do you think you have offended me? Perhaps you are projecting?

I for one am tired of trying to tip-toe around posters like you. You jump on a phrase and twist it to fulfil your own personal agenda.

Your posts are not part of discussion but only aim to shut down down discussion by attacking what you imagine are my motives.

You are wrong.

If you can't handle civilised discussion on a discussion forum, perhaps this kind of thing just isn't for you?

Advertisement