Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This is a discussion forum and I dont see what the problem is disagreeing with the findings as there are clearly some parts that dont make sense (at the moment).

I dont see the problem with questioning that opinion .We can discuss it and have an opinion but cant rule something out without the medical history

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That autopsy result is one of the saddest things I’ve ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thankfully there was no foul play involved

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

I was really hoping Nora would be found safe and well. RIP Nora and condolences to her family. Xxx

That autopsy result is one of the saddest things I’ve ever read.

Its heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Written in plain English and easy to understand. A sad lonely death for this lovely girl. R.i.P.. The poor parents and family.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Or being let lagged , disorientated , looking for the bathroom and thought the window was a door . Poor little pet might have then got lost and went deeper into the jungle

That makes so much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a 42 year old man and I'm in tears.

A cousin of mine has a little boy with severe autism, a lot younger than Nora and he is at constant risk of fleeing, whether at home or out and about and I know how vigilant they have to be 24/7 to ensure his safety. They never get to relax fully, especially in the night.

So I know that Nora's family have been switched on for 15 years, always watching out for her, always vigilant, always alert and the fact that this has occured, a freak, tragic moment in an unfamiliar setting and they will feel a guilt they utterly do not deserve for the rest of their lives. Good, loving, dedicated people destroyed by the facts of what has transpired, the sort of pain we cannot comprehend.

I wish them solace and comfort some day and I wish Nora peace and rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My heart is broken at the report. To think of her wandering lost, alone, hungry... I cannot even imagine. If only she had been able to call out to searchers. If only, if only...

Give your kids an extra hard hug at bedtime tonight, people. Let them have the damn ice-cream after dinner. Tell them you love them.

RIP sweet Nora. I'm in tears here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭vixdname

No one on Boards knows what happened to this poor girl.
    They can speculate about how she could or couldn't survive in that environment all they like.
    No two bodies are the same, none of us know what weaknesses Nora had physically therefore none of us know how susceptible she would be to hunger or exposure.
    There are of course questions to be asked such as how a child with supposed limited mobility walked 1.2 miles through a jungle, but she did have a week or so to cover that ground, so maybe that explains that.
    Family members are of course going to question what they could have done, perhaps, like her grandfather, they may suspect foul play, either way, it'll be Noras parents prerogative to determine whether they want another autopsy or not, the decision rests firmly in their hands.
    Up until that point, the bare facts are that these parents have lost the love of their lives, their special little girl, in a truly tragic way and it's something they will never ever get over, Noras out of her misery, its her parents that need everyones support now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

She was found beside a waterfall that she had wanted to see?

So I'm assuming this waterfall is a known tourist attraction, how could no tourist have visited it in the last 9 days?

Or if she had mentioned she wanted to see it why was it not one of the first places checked.

Heart breaking for the family.
    With all the media attention an autopsy revealing foul play would have destroyed the tourist industry in that location overnight. I find it very bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

JJayoo wrote: »
    She was found beside a waterfall that she had wanted to see?

So I'm assuming this waterfall is a known tourist attraction, how could no tourist have visited it in the last 9 days?

Or if she had mentioned she wanted to see it why was it not one of the first places checked.

Heart breaking for the family.
    With all the media attention an autopsy revealing foul play would have destroyed the tourist industry in that location overnight. I find it very bizarre.

Unlikely she was there the entire time, from reports it seems she survived a full week so could have been anywhere in the area. She might have been hiding, her family did say she gets anxious - who knows.

So sad that she wasn't found earlier, could have been so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,289 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Unlikely she was there the entire time, from reports it seems she survived a full week so could have been anywhere in the area. She might have been hiding, her family did say she gets anxious - who knows.

So sad that she wasn't found earlier, could have been so different.

This is probably what happened. Wandering around and finally came to this spot.

People saying you cannot die of hypothermia in a jungle are so wrong too. In a weak state it is more than possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can't really read much about this, I find it too upsetting.

But given the details of the autopsy, I would like Nora's parents to be able to avail of an independent autopsy at no cost to themselves, if they so wish.

I'm not going to go into speculation, but I wouldn't be satisfied with the outcome. I would want to repatriate her and get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Whats the story with her body being found un clothed tho ?
    Is there an explanation there ? - plus the area had been covered allready by searchers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Whats the story with her body being found un clothed tho ?
    Is there an explanation there ? - plus the area had been covered allready by searchers..

Maybe she was too hot during the day and took it off to cool down, not sure what temperature ranges are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

She went to bed in her underwear as has been reported a billion times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    My heart is broken at the report. To think of her wandering lost, alone, hungry... I cannot even imagine. If only she had been able to call out to searchers. If only, if only...

Give your kids an extra hard hug at bedtime tonight, people. Let them have the damn ice-cream after dinner. Tell them you love them.

Poor girl :( Nobody can blame themselves, within 36-48 hours there were hundreds of people searching the rain forest for her and calling out her name. Just an awful tragedy.....sometimes bad things happen and there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Why are people so rude and disrespectful to one another on boards.ie
    ? it really puts me off joining in in any conversation here.

RIP Nora...………...May she rest in peace and may her family have strength

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Were those incidents international news for 9 days? Is Ireland a country known primarily as a tourist destination to the international community?

Not comparing like with like.

I’m sure in the Philippines and Spain it was news, and Ireland is viewed as a tourist destination, yes. This story got a mention on the BBC but not as headline news and I doubt it got much coverage in other countries with no link to it.

This story has been all over the American news outlets since it begun. You have to remember that as a child with special needs this story will resonate with any family that has a child with special needs across the world, it goes much further than just the victims nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to unfollow this thread and move on now. Cuddled my boys to sleep with extra feeling last night. My heart goes out to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Christ on a bike - you lot are an utter disgrace at times. Is it really more important to be right on the Internet, than be respectful of a grieving family?

There are far too many factors at play here combined with a lack of evidence to have conclusive opinions. But yet, it’s not stopping posters.

RIP Nóra, and deepest condolences to her family.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was about to post something similar. I will add one point though - stevieluvsye, do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

She passed away roughly 7 days after going missing so she could easily have died from dehydration never mind hunger and stress. The poor wee thing. We may never know how she got there but perhaps she could cover ground more easily with trees around to hold on to. Would be so easy to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The only people who need answers are her family
    Rest in peace Nóra . Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

DoozerT6 wrote: »

That sums up my feelings. The thought of the poor kid alone and suffering is one of the most awful things you could imagine.....RIP Nora. I hope your family find some strength and comfort at this truly divesting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This story has been all over the American news outlets since it begun. You have to remember that as a child with special needs this story will resonate with any family that has a child with special needs across the world, it goes much further than just the victims nationality.

Can't quote the guy you quoted.

But why would it make news in the Philippines? I've been there 3 times and 9 times out of 10, when I mention Ireland, they have never even heard of it nevermind know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ann22 wrote: »
    She passed away roughly 7 days after going missing so she could easily have died from dehydration never mind hunger and stress. The poor wee thing. We may never know how she got there but perhaps she could cover ground more easily with trees around to hold on to. Would be so easy to get lost.

I have a horrible feeling the poor girl was hiding from the rescuers. They were calling out her name all week and you would imagine they must have been near enough to her at some point. She was probably terrified and disorientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Strazdas wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling the poor girl was hiding from the rescuers. They were calling out her name all week and you would imagine they must have been near enough to her at some point. She was probably terrified and disorientated.

I was thinking the same.

But didn't they play her mother's message over a loud speaker? I think they were so close to finding her alive which is what upsets me the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Strazdas wrote: »

Yes I wonder this too

Advertisement