Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

eviltwin wrote: »
    With all due respect unless you know Nora, her abilities, limitations, likes and dislikes you have absolutely no way of knowing that.

People with special needs are not some homogeneous lump who can only cope with a week in the Algarve. They deserve the same opportunity to travel and experience the world as a typical person.

Very well said. You are speaking from personal experience too. Randomers telling the Carers of people living with disabilities what they should and shouldn’t do is just infuriating.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

osarusan wrote: »
    If they had gone to the Algarve and she'd drowned there would still be the same kind of person talking about how anywhere near water is an unsuitable place for a child with special needs.

Absolutely. When a person has SN their world shrinks massively compared to the rest of us. Why wouldn't you go to the most interesting places you could to widen their already limited horizons.

We've someone with SN in our family whos just back from a holiday and they absolutely loved it. It cost a lot more and logistically tricky to plan, and the parents were more wrecked after the holiday with all the work involved. But they world do it again in a heartbeat to give their child the experience of travelling that others take for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

If you are ever connected with a 'story' that is being covered, you get your eyes opened pretty quickly as to how some in the media operate. Low life low morals

I've been in that situation, don't think you notice them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

If you are ever connected with a 'story' that is being covered, you get your eyes opened pretty quickly as to how some in the media operate. Low life low morals
    I had a family member who, through tragedy, was all over the media (I won't go into why as it was v traumatic for the family) and the tabloid newspapers are the worst of the worst. They are intrusive, vile in the way they'll do anything to get their story and they do not care about the family whatsoever. I'm glad to see the LB trust helping Nora's family. They seem to be doing a fine job. I found it awful seeing the paparazzi snapping in their faces as they went to the morgue yesterday, but it doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ok.
    Lets say you lose someone very close to you. In a horrible circumstance. As you go to identify the body... your world rocked. Feeling so emotional and low. Lets see if you still have that attitude if about 100 photographs are taken of you. The moment you are low.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe i'm mad with ideals like respect and all that.

Ultimately the blame for this lies with those who buy or consume the 'media' that does this. Totally unnecessary and just weird voyeurism to want to see pictures of this, the type of people who stop at accidents and whip their phones out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have just deleted 22 posts that were either very insensitive/speculative in the circumstances or were responding to insensitive posts

If you see something like that, please report it rather than respond. It alerts us to it, and avoids us having to delete your own posts

For those who insist on making very insensitive or speculative posts, this is a final warning. It's reached the stage where we will have to start issuing cards and further threadbans

Do not respond to this post in-thread - PM me if you have any questions

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

splinter65 wrote: »
    Very well said. You are speaking from personal experience too. Randomers telling the Carers of people living with disabilities what they should and shouldn’t do is just infuriating.

I think it shows that these people only think of themselves and are incapable of showing empathy to others in their most darkest of times. Shame on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Portsalon wrote: »
    Seems a real shame that the Malaysian Coppers didn't give you a bell and ask you to lead the search.

Maybe next time.

Let's wait & see what comes out in time. Perhaps things are as they seem, perhaps they are not. Keeping an open mind is all I've suggested..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭abff

Giving the tragic circumstances of this case, a bit of decorum would be far preferable to senseless bickering and point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Neyite wrote: »
    Absolutely. When a person has SN their world shrinks massively compared to the rest of us. Why wouldn't you go to the most interesting places you could to widen their already limited horizons.

We've someone with SN in our family whos just back from a holiday and they absolutely loved it. It cost a lot more and logistically tricky to plan, and the parents were more wrecked after the holiday with all the work involved. But they world do it again in a heartbeat to give their child the experience of travelling that others take for granted.

When you see your family member, who is mostly non verbal or in their own world allot of the time come alive because something they are passionate about is going on you will do what ever you can to make sure they have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think a secluded location close to nature is an ideal location for a person with special needs. The accommodation had everything they needed, they were close to help in case of emergency.

A lot of people with special needs don't cope well in traditional holiday destinations, it's noisy and crowded and they don't manage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The news said she was found near a waterfall, she had wanted to visit, could she have wondered off herself to see it and have fallen?

Was she able to walk alone, there has been talk she was not mobile alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The results of the autopsy postponed until tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The news said she was found near a waterfall, she had wanted to visit, could she have wondered off herself to see it and have fallen?

Was she able to walk alone, there has been talk she was not mobile alone

I read yesterday that the police had been working on the assumption that Nora had left the chalet voluntarily by climbing through a downstairs window.

Why she would have done this is anyone's guess. She could have been relaxed or in a state of high agitation, we just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@expectationlost - do not post in this thread again.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So sad...RIP Nora.
    Hope her family get some solace from the results of the autopsy , and not more grief.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Just had to delete some posts, Please do not post speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No matter what happened, her family finally have closure

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The results of the autopsy postponed until tommorow

Can the family if they wish stop the results being made public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Apologies, that was insensitive of me to post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can the family if they wish stop the results being made public?

The police wouldn't reveal much anyway, just very brief remarks on whether they believe Nora's death was a criminal matter or something far less suspicious (and probably the cause of death in a few short words).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From Newstalk this morning
    An autopsy has revealed that schoolgirl Nóra Quoirin died as a result of prolonged hunger and stress.

The 15-year-old schoolgirl’s body was found in a forested area near the holiday resort she travelled to with her family after a ten day search.

Malaysian police have revealed the results of an autopsy this morning.

It found that she died two or three days ago of internal bleeding from the intestine.

Police said the exam found no signs of foul play.

They said there is no evidence she was kidnapped and the post-mortem found no sign that she had been sexually abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Reporting this morning that she died of hunger, really, and that there doesn’t appear to be anything to indicate any foul play at this stage.
    I think the family will look for an independent autopsy but maybe she did just wake and wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Can you die of hunger that fast?

Poor girl and those left behind.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Reporting this morning that she died of hunger, really, and that there doesn’t appear to be anything to indicate any foul play at this stage.
    I think the family will look for an independent autopsy but maybe she did just wake and wander.

If she was my daughter I’d just bring her home and lay her to rest and stop this horrific ordeal . What peace will it bring her family to put her poor deceased body through another autopsy? Just to prove that something sinister happened when it was just likely to be down to her being lost and wandering alone for days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Some might prefer an independent autopsy, but certainly from what I can read this morning it would appear that Nora's life came to an end when she wondered off - became disoriented, then completely lost her way and succumbed to hunger /exposure.

I would like to believe that she took herself off to find her waterfall, and the rest was a tragic accident due to misadventure.

Rest in peace Nora, it appears you died in a quest of following your dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RIP sweet girl

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49355188

That post-mortem finding is so, so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tinpib

If she was my daughter I’d just bring her home and lay her to rest in Ireland and stop this horrific ordeal . What peace will it bring her family to put her poor deceased body through another autopsy? Just to prove that something sinister happened when it was just likely to be down to her being lost and wandering alone for days ?

I disagree. In these types of situations all any family wants is the truth and they don't rest until they get it. And my first though was to get an independent autopsy done as well.

It will be awful for the parents thinking she was all alone for that time and they will blame themselves, but if it does turn out that this is what actually happened to her at least they know there was no foul play.

Just one of those one in a million, or billion, things. They have closure and also so do we the general public and the media. No suspicion following them round, they will be left in peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

So desperately desperately sad. They were so unlucky they didn’t find her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The poor little thing, it’s just so tragic. RIP Nora

Advertisement