Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So you see no difference between the two cases at all ? Really ?

I can't recall writing that, but then perhaps you're one of those very clever people who can read other people's minds from miles away - or think that they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Portsalon wrote: »
    I can't recall writing that, but then perhaps you're one of those very clever people who can read other people's minds from miles away - or think that they can.

Whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Folks, I know the family are not going to be reading this but can we not do the petty squabbling?

A child is missing and a family is in bits. Put the horse**** aside for this thread, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is that photo of her at the waterfall in maylasia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Folks, I know the family are not going to be reading this but can we not do the petty squabbling?

A child is missing and a family is in bits. Put the horse**** aside for this thread, please.
    Sorry, but the ridiculous speculation as to what may have happened, from many including yourself, is more in need of taming to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don’t think the family would care if the devil himself turned up if it meant that the child was found safe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry, but the ridiculous speculation as to what may have happened, from many including yourself, is more in need of taming to be perfectly honest.

Now now. That's what the mods are here for ;)

When there is a vacuum of information of course people will speculate, it's human nature.

I have been the recipient of many a castigation on here for some of my posts. But I can take it.

That's what discussion fora are all about really. Mods will sort out the loony toons.

Everyone hopes the girl is found safe and well. It is the HOW she disappeared with no trace is what is causing the speculation. That's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭N365

is that photo of her at the waterfall in maylasia?

This one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Was about to say this myself, think about it this way would you like it if people were to speculate this was if she were your daughter. sister, etc. on a public forum

votecounts wrote: »
    Was about to say this myself, think about it this way would you like it if people were to speculate this was if she were your daughter. sister, etc. on a public forum

I am sure anyone in the family's situation would hope that word gets out on social media big time. It is often marred by trolls that is true, but sometimes the publicity is worth it. If I were in that situation I wouldn't care what was said, but it just might lead to something positive.

There cannot be many now who don't realise that cases such as this will be discussed online anymore. There is no protection. But sometimes publicity of whatever hue can help. And people really do want a good outcome to this.

• Advertisement

I must say I see no real harm in discussing the terrain and the probability of Nora being too far into the jungle . A case like this will always bring discussion and people thoughts on it
    The vast majority of posters wish Nora is found very soon and have huge sympathy for her family

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on this-Malaysia is essentially two countries separated by the South China Sea. The Sabah area where kidnappings have taken place is over 2,000km away from peninsular Malaysia where Nora and her family are located.

The latest Indo article on the case says that Nora had been sleeping upstairs but that the open window (with the unidentified fingerprint) was in the living room downstairs. It also says that she has problems with her balance and walking alone would be difficult for her.

The warning on the website is for Malaysia in general, for various different reasons. It's not as safe a country as might be portrayed- and I'm not talking just kidnapping either or in just one area.

There's also a lot of police corruption that's currently and previously under investigation. There's one thing I'm certain of- if the police believe something other than "wandering off" is the reason for this poor girls disappearance, they'll never admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

N365 wrote: »
    I wonder how long before police return to the hotel to search again?

Haven't heard this aspect reported much. You'd hope that they've thoroughly searched every part of the resort and interviewed anyone who was staying/ working there.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Haven't heard this aspect reported much. You'd hope that they've thoroughly searched every part of the resort and interviewed anyone who was staying/ working there.

I would imagine/hope that parents and siblings did that search etc. at first discovery of her disappearance. She could be hiding somewhere.

Very hopefully she is. And hopefully has a water source. Children can just go and do this, but not for 7 days admittedly.

Let us hope she is found safe and well. Live in hope.

If the family were telling the police that they believe she was abducted then they may not have focused their efforts much within the immediate vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

splinter65 wrote: »
    75% of the family in kuala lumpar are traveling on Irish passports. They have a lot of maternal connections on this island. It doesn’t matter where they live. They have found themselves entirely blamelessly in a tragic situation.If there’s anything the Irish state can do to help them then we are bound to do it.

Exactly. She is travelling as an Irish citizen with an Irish passport. She is entitled to/getting consular help from the Irish authorities. So therefore it makes perfect send a Garda out there, as they are the police force of the Irish authorities.

(Also, super anal I know but her name is Nóra not Nora. Her parents spell and refer to her as Nóra. And yes, they are different.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting snippet on RTE that two people a month get lost in the forest but are usually located within 48 hours. It's completely baffling how there is no trace of Nora with hundreds of people searching for her.

OK, before the castigators and those giving out descend on me,

If you had a child with special needs, would you really go to the edge of the jungle/rain forest with him/her. There are so many other options.

I am not judging here. But I have no doubt that others will disagree. That's fine. Just asking.

If you had a child with special needs, would you really go to the edge of the jungle/rain forest with him/her. There are so many other options.

Yes I hear Tayto Park can be a blast at halloween

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/several-injured-tayto-park-accident-9107439

Or you could head to Seville- that's in Europe - that should be OK, right?

https://news.sky.com/story/major-scenes-of-panic-after-fairground-ride-accident-injures-28-11737713

Or you could just get a bouncy castle in your own back garden

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/fairground-workers-jailed-over-entirely-preventable-bouncy-castle-death-1.3531980

Like, WTF are you on and what exactly is your point? You're obviously out to get the parents of this child - have you no shame? They brought their child on a holiday of a lifetime- to expand her experiences and add valuable memories to her troubled life- and you're pointing the blame at her disappearance on them?

Shame on you, yet again.

I am not judging here. But I have no doubt that others will disagree. That's fine. Just asking.

Every child is different and that goes for every child with special needs too
    My thoughts would be that no one knows a child as well as their own family and so I would be very much of the opinion that their decision is what is important for their child
    Basically it is none of our business

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting snippet on RTE that two people a month get lost in the forest but are usually located within 48 hours. It's completely baffling how there is no trace of Nora with hundreds of people searching for her.

If the police and soldiers are struggling to negotiate the jungle how could a child do it. It’s the reason I believe that the complex is where they will end up focusing on in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Every child is different. I do have a child with special needs and I’d have no issue with bringing him to Malaysia at all. I’ve been there. The flight would be the most difficult part for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

If the family were telling the police that they believe she was abducted then they may not have focused their efforts much within the immediate vicinity.

There has been lots of media attention here on jungle searches, loudspeakers in the forest and local trackers etc etc. You just hope that the authorities there have looked over every inch of the actual residential area...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yeah I would. Same as any other child & I do have a child with very complex care needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If the police and soldiers are struggling to negotiate the jungle how could a child do it. It’s the reason I believe that the complex is where they will end up focusing on in the end.

I would imagine Nora would be nowhere near strong enough to trek miles into the rain forest. She sounds from the family's description like a slight girl and not very fit.

There has been lots of media attention here on jungle searches, loudspeakers in the forest and local trackers etc etc. You just hope that the authorities there have looked over every inch of the actual residential area...

Not just there but the flight they arrived on, the airport, and anyplace they've been since arriving in the country - all are places were someone could have targeted the family.

I'm not a policeman or a detective but when I comes to a child I would take no chances and treat it as both a child getting lost and an abduction. Get experts in for each.

Does anyone know when they started using the loudspeakers? Could the searchers have frightened her into going further away? yes that make sense?

I also saw one news site report that villagers remember hearing a truck in the very early hours.

It is all so horrible.

Fair enough and thanks for your replies.

I have a nephew with complex needs. He is a darling but loves places where he can see his parents/siblings all the time. He needs to be within sight all the time.

Just saying. People can tailor their trips according to their kids needs.

An anonymous donor has offered to fund a reward.

Malaysian police and other advisors apparently want the family to accept it.

https://extra.ie/2019/08/11/news/irish-news/nora-quoirin-donor-reward

As I'm sure the parents of this girl did- but you obviously don't think so.

• Advertisement

Fair enough and thanks for your replies.

I have a nephew with complex needs. He is a darling but loves places where he can see his parents/siblings all the time. He needs to be within sight all the time.

All parents do (or are supposed to) tailor holidays to their kids regardless of special needs.

There is no reason to think the Quoirin's did not do so for al their kids. You cannot anticipate everything and no one expects something like this to happen.

Advertisement