Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As I'm sure the parents of this girl did- but you obviously don't think so.

Why are you being so obtuse? I merely made a comment that going to the jungle/rain forest in Malaysia may not have been the best choice for a child who has special needs.

There are many other options out there. But I am just making a point for the child as she is right now.

As I'm sure the parents of this girl did- but you obviously don't think so.

Well to be fair, it didn't really work out for them did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

I would like to think that the parents of Nora knew best what type of holiday she would like or handle as they know her best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Why are you being so obtuse? I merely made a comment that going to the jungle/rain forest in Malaysia may not have been the best choice for a child who has special needs.

There are many other options out there. But I am just making a point for the child as she is right now.

You asked the question. People responded.

PlentyohToole simply stated he believed the family did tailor the holiday to suit the child's needs.

I ask again - can the petty squabbling and narkery please just stop? This is not the thread to get pouty or try have a go at people.

Do you feel better now after making a comment like that?

• Advertisement

An anonymous donor has offered to fund a reward.

Malaysian police and other advisors apparently want the family to accept it.

https://extra.ie/2019/08/11/news/irish-news/nora-quoirin-donor-reward

Extraordinary development and one that confuses me, around the whole "advice to accept the offer"- what's that about?
    There's no way that, hypothetically, if someone did take her away, that they could reasonably send her back and receive payment for that act and no prospect of future arrest and prosecution?

And I assume there has been no official or reported request for "ransom"?

So if someone wants to offer a reward for " information leading to..." go ahead, on the basis that if someone has information, but not connected to the disappearance, they may come forward- I mean, every avenue is worth exploring and keeping open-but I don't see what "decision" the parents need to make here- every effort will help. It costs them nothing.

Surely this again is a police decision, if they're doing their job properly- not one for distraught parents to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

Unreal comment:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

When you think of how Nora and her family have had enough challenges all her life, then this happens. It's just heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Imagine needing to seek attention on a forum on the back of a grieving family . Shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Poor girl. Given that she has special needs, I'm not going to speculate, but her parents seem to believe she was abducted. But having read a few articles as of recently, it seems the place was in the middle of nowhere, so it'd be hard for some random abductor to locate it with ease. I'd be more inclined to think she was unsettled being in unfamiliar territory, wandered off, and either got eaten, had an accident, or is still wandering around randomly. Please god the family find answers.

• Advertisement

You asked the question. People responded.

PlentyohToole simply stated he believed the family did tailor the holiday to suit the child's needs.

I ask again - can the petty squabbling and narkery please just stop? This is not the thread to get pouty or try have a go at people.

No one listens to anyone but the Mods.

We can actually speak freely, hope you don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,887 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Sorry Spanish Eyes , but I think that's a horrible thing to say .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mam of 4 wrote: »

True. The 'judgmental' have appeared I see.

You're speaking on behalf of their child now?

You really are unbelievable.

Do you feel better now after making a comment like that?

Well it didn't work out for them to take a Special Needs teenager to deepest jungle in Malaysia did it?

Honestly France is beautiful, Ireland is great, but no, it had to be on the edge of the Jungle here. Hence the trouble trying to find the girl. I dunno.

Just saying it as I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Attention seeking toddlers are best ignored I find .

Extraordinary development and one that confuses me, around the whole "advice to accept the offer"- what's that about?
    There's no way that, hypothetically, if someone did take her away, that they could reasonably send her back and receive payment for that act and no prospect of future arrest and prosecution?

So if someone wants to offer a reward for " information leading to..." go ahead, on the basis that if someone has information, but not connected to the disappearance, they may come forward- I mean, every avenue is worth exploring and keeping open-but I don't see what "decision" the parents need to make here- every effort will help. It costs them nothing.

Surely this again is a police decision, if they're doing their job properly- not one for distraught parents to make?

Bear in mind that a lot of journalism these days is padding.

All the writer got was information that a reward is offered but simply stating the facts doesn't fill up a page.

What I take from it is that the local police do suspect a criminal element. The priority is the return of the child even if that means paying the abductor or someone connected. And they'd still have a chance to nab the guilty when they come for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Impossible to know what happened and hopefully all ends well but unlikely I guess as the days go by.

A serious amount of posters on this thread acting the gowl though.

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Oh well. I said what I felt.

You know and I know what special needs kids need. I reacted with a WTF and why would you go to the jungle?

Last place I would think of taking any of those lovely kids who need so much of our attention and also need routine and grounding.

I make no apologies. The kids come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Well it didn't work out for them to take a Special Needs teenager to deepest jungle in Malaysia did it?

Honestly France is beautiful, Ireland is great, but no, it had to be on the edge of the Jungle here. Hence the trouble trying to find the girl. I dunno.

Just saying it as I find it.

You might read Brendan O’Connor’s article in today’s Independent. It may enlighten you a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Dont feed the troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Par for the course for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭N365

Is there a subliminal message in their wording of asking the family to accept the offer?

Bear in mind that a lot of journalism these days is padding.

All the writer got was information that a reward is offered but simply stating the facts doesn't fill up a page.

What I take from it is that the local police do suspect a criminal element. The priority is the return of the child even if that means paying the abductor or someone connected. And they'd still have a chance to nab the guilty when they come for the money.

In my own mind, I sort of thought that myself TBH. :(

If this is the official Malaysian way of sorting this terrible event, and if the parents get their daughter back, then at least there's hope still, no matter what the route to get there.

I personally feel the "politics" of tourism, the economy and saving face and all of that stuff is playing out here- at the expense of putting resources into finding this poor girl.

But ultimately, if she's found alive- that's all that counts right now.

N365 wrote: »
    Is there a subliminal message in their wording of asking the family to accept the offer?

See my post above- maybe. I don't know. Might be over-thinking this. World media on this case is certainly causing pressure and it's obviously going to hurt $ tourism, so they want this resolved- there's no doubt in my mind on that.

Unless the mods ban me I am entitled not to be bullied by those who think they know better.

I am making my point, and will continue to do so.

Special needs kids need special destinations. I know this. The edge of the jungle is not one those places.

Calm down everyone. We each have a voice. Or maybe you would all like an echo chamber.

If you were a parent with a child missing, you'd seriously explore every opoortunity of finding them.

The poor parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,887 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Oh well. I said what I felt.

You know and I know what special needs kids need. I reacted with a WTF and why would you go to the jungle?

Last place I would think of taking any of those lovely kids who need so much of our attention and also need routine and grounding.

I make no apologies. The kids come first.

I know it's how you feel and you're entitled to feel however you choose .
    The flip side of it all is , that special needs or not , we can't keep any child wrapped up in bubble wrap , we need to let them live as normal a life as possible , whether that's going to a rainforest , jungle or wherever .
    I'm sure her parents didn't just book that holiday on a whim , they must have been informed enough to think that it was a suitable holiday destination .

Sorry for the long post folks :o

• Advertisement

Unless the mods ban me I am entitled not to be bullied by those who think they know better.

I am making my point, and will continue to do so.

Special needs kids need special destinations. I know this. The edge of the jungle is not one those places.

Calm down everyone. We each have a voice. Or maybe you would all like an echo chamber.

Its not about you or your voice or making your point thats important though.

Its about finding Nora.

Advertisement