Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are always going to be people out there that want to avoid paying tax even if it were on the cheapest rate. I remember from another thread on here there was a 4 or 5 year old Golf R for sale that had something like 10 owners on it. The tax on that was only €570 per year and tax is the hardly the most expensive ownership cost on a Golf R.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are always going to be people out there that want to avoid paying tax even if it were on the cheapest rate. I remember from another thread on here there was a 4 or 5 year old Golf R for sale that had something like 10 owners on it. The tax on that was only €570 per year and tax is the hardly the most expensive ownership cost on a Golf R.

Stick it to the gubernment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah, madness doing it on E570, double that or more, is where I get why some people do it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It would be so easy to defeat that practice - just make it that transfer of ownership is only possible if the vehicle is taxed up to date. Also, vehicle cannot be declared off the road if the tax is out, unless the vehicle is currently registered as off the road.

Either taxing vehicle with motor tax is lawfully valid or it is not - but it should not be considered OK for people to evade the tax. Collecting it from people when they insure it might be a better idea - the vehicle must be insured.

Alternatively include third party insurance with the motor tax.

More enforcement is required.

It would be so easy to defeat that practice - just make it that transfer of ownership is only possible if the vehicle is taxed up to date. Also, vehicle cannot be declared off the road if the tax is out, unless the vehicle is currently registered as off the road.

Either taxing vehicle with motor tax is lawfully valid or it is not - but it should not be considered OK for people to evade the tax. Collecting it from people when they insure it might be a better idea - the vehicle must be insured.

Doesn't happen like it use too to be honest, I got 6 months out of a UK import, then a few months here and their on 1.9 or 2.0 petrol and Diesel, never really kept cars long anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

To be fair, in a case like that people were probably moving it on due to unwanted attention and the fear of it being stolen. Just look at boardsie JoeA3 who got rid of his for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You can't declare a vehicle off road if the tax is already expired. Vehicle must be insured at the time of taxing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I remember that alright. Opened the ad with the line on why there were so many owners on the car. Irrespective of whether or not you agreed with his sentiment it struck me as a very poor way to kick off an ad, bad start and all that. He may have being better off to stick the comment in further down the ad.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-1-5d/26289977
    Laguna 1.5 diesel
    295k KM
    NCT 07/21
    Looks tidy.
    Asking €1,650.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You can't declare a vehicle off road if the tax is already expired. Vehicle must be insured at the time of taxing too.

1st part correct but 2nd part not.

Online you can add any policy or non existent one....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes but you are declaring that it is insured, plus if you use it on the road, it must be insured.

• Advertisement

I understand that, but in the eyes of the law you must present an insurance certificate (or number if taxing online) to tax a vehicle. Because the tax office couldn't be bothered to check the online number system actually works isn't the fault of the law makers (enforcement)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I understand that, but in the eyes of the law you must present an insurance certificate (or number if taxing online) to tax a vehicle. Because the tax office couldn't be bothered to check the online number system actually works isn't the fault of the law makers (enforcement)

I had this argument out with a guard one day... They can indeed recall what you write into the insurance box when you tax a car online. It's when it's 'not yours' that most people put in some gobbledegook and herein lies where I had the argument with the guard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Less discussion............more cars. :D

ZmMyYjY2OTcwZDcwMWNkZjFiNmVhYmIxYjEyYzZiZDRASGmvPqnOvGVeUjEhfozOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjAxNDQxMjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-hatchback-low-mileage-quot/26290156

2007 Honda Civic 1.4 Petrol NCT 08/21 Mileage 174K Asking €1,795

Thoughts on this one? Is there enough poke in the 1.4 engine in these?

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Less discussion............more cars. :D

ZmMyYjY2OTcwZDcwMWNkZjFiNmVhYmIxYjEyYzZiZDRASGmvPqnOvGVeUjEhfozOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjAxNDQxMjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-hatchback-low-mileage-quot/26290156

2007 Honda Civic 1.4 Petrol NCT 08/21 Mileage 174K Asking €1,795

Thoughts on this one? Is there enough poke in the 1.4 engine in these?

Dead as a dodo, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Very economical like most small engined Japanese cars. Money is far to strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get the 1.8, you’ll get a years tax with the money you’ll save.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Cheap and cheerful Suzuki might get some one out of trouble i nearly consider it a free car if it runs any way half ok.
    Fresh nct and tax to boot
    Not the most exciting car looks clean on the outside and a quick valet would do wonders

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-liana-tax-and-tested/26313510?campaign=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

crasy dash wrote: »
    Cheap and cheerful Suzuki might get some one out of trouble i nearly consider it a free car if it runs any way half ok.
    Fresh nct and tax to boot
    Not the most exciting car looks clean on the outside and a quick valet would do wonders

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-liana-tax-and-tested/26313510?campaign=14

These are one of the cheapest cars to insure, would make a great first car for somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gussieg

i like the hatchback shape lianas but these ones are just so fugly. seems like a decent car , i dont know . but just one owner , cant be bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

2005 peugeot 307 diesel

550 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21936571

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

gussieg wrote: »
    i like the hatchback shape lianas but these ones are just so fugly. seems like a decent car , i dont know . but just one owner , cant be bad at all.

Two owner and who ever buys it will be the third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Clean looking Puma with NCT until next May and tax until the end of the year, asking €750:

ODlhOTUwMDA0ZWM5NmFhYzFhM2RmZjdkMTg4YTJhMTioTYxGwyEe5Kn2-hmoOSjcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTUxOTY0MDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-ford-puma/25799371

Just need to make sure it's rust free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Yep, and unless it gave most of its life garaged it could be some mess under the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Clean looking Puma with NCT until next May and tax until the end of the year, asking €750:

ODlhOTUwMDA0ZWM5NmFhYzFhM2RmZjdkMTg4YTJhMTioTYxGwyEe5Kn2-hmoOSjcaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTUxOTY0MDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-ford-puma/25799371

Just need to make sure it's rust free.

Second this. Lovely car but rust rust rust. Herself had two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Looks like the back arches are already suffering on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

1998 toyota starlet

1000 eur

http://www.adverts.ie/21946032

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Audi A2 TDi
    NCT Jan 22 tax Jan 21

€1250 (looking for quick sale according to ad, so should have haggle room if the car checks out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2-2004-1-4-l-diesel-tdi/26296461?campaign=3

ZDkzYThkMzZmNTRkY2FhNWNkM2UwNTI4NDU5N2M2Y2ERXbEs2gPs0eKvXqsKBg6RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjAyMTgxOTN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Second this. Lovely car but rust rust rust. Herself had two.
    Similar to the Sportka/Streetka? Can’t see the serious rust until you remove plastic wheel arch liners?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Audi A2 TDi
    NCT Jan 22 tax Jan 21

€1250 (looking for quick sale according to ad, so should have haggle room if the car checks out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a2-2004-1-4-l-diesel-tdi/26296461?campaign=3

ZDkzYThkMzZmNTRkY2FhNWNkM2UwNTI4NDU5N2M2Y2ERXbEs2gPs0eKvXqsKBg6RaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjAyMTgxOTN8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

You can try haggingly if you like. I've been failing to get a bargain off her on her Unisex rollerblades for ages

https://www.donedeal.ie/othersports-for-sale/unisex-rollerblades/25893040

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yes but you are declaring that it is insured, plus if you use it on the road, it must be insured.

Genuine question... If I am road testing a car with no insurance disk but I have 'driving other cars' on a policy that doesn't require the other car to be insured by its owner...

The car is insured on my insurance policy. The car doesn't need its own insurance, nor is that even a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Akrasia wrote: »
    Genuine question... If I am road testing a car with no insurance disk but I have 'driving other cars' on a policy that doesn't require the other car to be insured by its owner...

The car is insured on my insurance policy. The car doesn't need its own insurance, nor is that even a thing

Your insurance will cover you, but 3rd party only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement