Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

crazyjim wrote: »
    You can try haggingly if you like. I've been failing to get a bargain off her on her Unisex rollerblades for ages

You're comparing apples to oranges! Try to remove one wheel on each side of the car and try the same with the skates ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Akrasia wrote: »
    Genuine question... If I am road testing a car with no insurance disk but I have 'driving other cars' on a policy that doesn't require the other car to be insured by its owner...

The car is insured on my insurance policy. The car doesn't need its own insurance, nor is that even a thing

The car needs a valid insurance disk in the window. If your one is valid, put it in the window. What it covers depends on the insurance policy you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

You can't put your own disc in the window of another car.

But ya your policy will cover you. You always run the risk of being done for non display but realistically no guard is going to do ya for that while on a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

But ya your policy will cover you. You always run the risk of being done for non display but realistically no guard is going to do ya for that while on a test drive.

I always thought that the car you are testing had to have a policy of some sort for any other (mine) policy to cover...
    Everyday a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

cadaliac wrote: »
    I always thought that the car you are testing had to have a policy of some sort for any other (mine) policy to cover...
    Everyday a school day.

That depends on your own policies wording, the important part to take from selectamatics post is not to display discs that don't belong (from another car etc.) that just looks shady as hell and will get you in a lot more trouble than just explaining the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

cadaliac wrote: »
    Everyday a school day.

Very much depends on your own policy as Cheensbo said.

Off the top of my head Aviva and Liberty definitely require the car to have an existing policy before you can drive it under your own driving of other cars extension.

Any policy underwritten by RSA does not require this. I think AXA too but I'm open to correction on that and there could also be a few others who do not have this requirement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Unless you have an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

My policy states I can drive any other car, it just needs to be taxed.
    You can tax a car using any old policy number.

So can I buy another car, and so long as it has nct and tax I am insured to drive it?

I cant see anywhere it doesnt say that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

TheW1zard wrote: »

So can I buy another car, and so long as it has nct and tax I am insured to drive it?

I don't know the answer but if that is the case I'd presume it would be 3rd party only, Your car and fire and theft probably not covered

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

I would imagine if you look at your policy document /booklet it will state any car that is not owned by you. Standard part of any driving other cars cover I've ever had.

• Advertisement

Unless you have an accident.

Being covered is being covered, regardless of accident, if you're legal, presence of a disc won't matter.

You will find in your insurance T&Cs somewhere that the vehicle being driven as an extension of your insurance must not be owned by yourself. Otherwise, should be grand!
    This is it wrote: »
    I don't know the answer but if that is the case I'd presume it would be 3rd party only, Your car and fire and theft probably not covered

Correct!

Aaand a lovely little banger for the topic:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/suzuki-alto-low-mileage-nct-amp-tax/26335932

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No, the driving of other cars extension only applies to other cars you do not own. Otherwise we would all be just insuring a banger Micra in our driveway but actually driving a Porsche.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-fiat-panda/26346604

ZDg0NjFlNjRjNWQ2MGFmY2Q0ODgxOTJjZTJkYWVjYjhkAkR1slJIDIqBB2Y2xUeLaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjA2OTY2MTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Tidy looking 1 owner Panda with Covid NCT til March and 13k miles, €1600

Needs a fresh test for the asking price IMO, but it could prove a nice buy regardless with those miles

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭crazyjim

Cheensbo wrote: »

Would you drive that today ?

I think one of the criteria is "something you'd drive yourself". Not "if you had to" or "nice car for someone" but actually you, today

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think one of the criteria is "something you'd drive yourself". Not "if you had to" or "nice car for someone" but actually you, today

I dont think i would have driven that when it was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Note the VW style Halfords letter badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

2009 Volvo S40 1.6 Diesel
    Trade sale.
    € 1,995
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-volvo-s40-1-6-diesel/26344993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Your Face wrote: »
    Seems pricy for a “trade sale”.

For what it’s worth that garage are around a long time and have a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Your Face wrote: »

Nice car, reliable, comfortable but mother of god - they have to be the slowest thing known to man, pure misery, you'd wanna absolutely loathe driving to run one as a daily. Literally the last car I'd put money towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's no NCT on the Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For what it’s worth that garage are around a long time and have a good reputation.
    Trade sale means no warranty. I can't see how the reputation of the garage matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nice car, reliable, comfortable but mother of god - they have to be the slowest thing known to man, pure misery, you'd wanna absolutely loathe driving to run one as a daily. Literally the last car I'd put money towards.

1.6 diesel and reliable?

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Trade sale means no warranty. I can't see how the reputation of the garage matters.

It matters because it’s not a pop up garage. Of course you have no comeback but the chances are that the car was traded in against a new Toyota as opposed to being bought for cash to flip.

I don’t agree with main dealers doing ‘trade sales’ above trade prices to non traders, but it was worth noting that the sellers are well established.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

CoBo55 wrote: »
    1.6 diesel and reliable?

Assuming its been properly serviced, then yes.

Plenty examples of that engine with 200k Miles up.

Absolutely would daily the hell out of it :D plus it actually looks pretty tidy.

I know what bangernomics is, I've been posting in and buying cars from these threads for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Absolutely would daily the hell out of it :D plus it actually looks pretty tidy.

I know what bangernomics is, I've been posting in and buying cars from these threads for years.

Agree, I'd drive that no problem also! It'll tick many boxes in terms of bangernomics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

bazz26 wrote: »
    No, the driving of other cars extension only applies to other cars you do not own. Otherwise we would all be just insuring a banger Micra in our driveway but actually driving a Porsche.

Actually this is how I, and many of my friends probably killed Quinn Direct back in the day.

Year 2007
    Age 17
    Insured card : Opel Corsa 1.2. Insurance was €1500.

Mothers Car : Toyota Glanza 1.3 turbo
    Drove the Glanza on third party extension for about a year. Used to wreck the local guards as they knew what I was doing and so did I. I was once given a fine for "no display of an insurance cert" on the Glanza. this was €50. I successfully fought this with them at the station when I showed them that I had in fact put in the insurance CERT in the window, and since this was from the same piece of paper it has the same value. The Square cert is just a condensed version of the bigger cert. No idea if I was right or wrong legally speaking but it worked and from then on - everyone in the town did this and to my knowledge nothing ever happened after that.

I think they called this "loading".

Now to be fair, I was a fairly moderate driver in that I wasn't out messing or causing hassle - this was just the only way to play the system.
    Was it wrong? Probably. Was it provable it was my car? Probably not within reasonable doubt so we all did it.

Oh and that beautiful thing called "being the 5th son as a named driver on farm insurance"

Man. I miss Quinn Direct. They would have insured my left testicle if I had asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

flexcon wrote: »
    Actually this is how I, and many of my friends probably killed Quinn Direct back in the day.

Year 2007
    Age 17
    Insured card : Opel Corsa 1.2. Insurance was €1500.

Mothers Car : Toyota Glanza 1.3 turbo
    Drove the Glanza on third party extension for about a year. Used to wreck the local guards as they knew what I was doing and so did I.

I think they called this "loading".

Now to be fair, I was a fairly moderate driver in that I wasn't out messing or causing hassle - this was just the only way to play the system.
    Was it wrong? Probably. Was it provable it was my car? Probably not within reasonable doubt so we all did it.

Oh and that beautiful thing called "being the 5th son as a named driver on farm insurance"

I know people who were doing this up until earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

flexcon wrote: »

Man. I miss Quinn Direct. They would have insured my left testicle if I had asked.

Been there, got the mug.... :D

yMn8NZZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement