Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Murders - BBC One & RTE One

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Happy4all wrote: »
    I missed the first few minutes and reckon it was probably important, feel a bit lost with it

The English link wasn't explained at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Meh, ill watch tomorrow to see if it develops but not impressed at all so far tbh.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Is this set in the 70,s ??

No not by the cars etc but why are Katies family all living in the 70’s ?

1985 flashbacks and 2006

As a fan of the books, it has been just In The Woods so far. Interested to see how they bring The Likeness into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

harr wrote: »
    Because that are detectives... odd back then for Irish detectives to wear hip holsters it normally would be a shoulder strap.

I didn't think any gardai carried firearms unless they were apart of the armed response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's no Darklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

1985 flashbacks and 2006

Thank you ! I am a bit lost

• Registered Users Posts: 60,474 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I didn't think any gardai carried firearms unless they were apart of the armed response.

Detectives do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Aw crap, I was waiting for Nidgie to do a murder. Just lurking around so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Thought it was a brilliant start myself. Really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Charlie19 wrote: »

They did, have a load of extended family in the garda. 1 of them I knew had a gun, he was a detective, don't think any of the others did though.
    He defo wasn't part of any response unit. He was actually quite unresponsive most of the time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Great first episode. Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I'll be watching this on the bbc iplayer, watching anything on the rte player is littered with latency random pauses and ads.

I'm not going to knock it until I was it. Most Irish tv is dire. You can tell that the bbc had most of the input

I'll be watching this on the bbc iplayer, watching anything on the rte player is littered with latency random pauses and ads.

I'm not going to knock it until I was it. Most Irish tv is dire. You can tell that the bbc had most of the input

Agreed on RTE player. It's fookin terrible.

Decent enough production. Better than Darklands anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s a bit more Rte than bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched episode 1 on the iPlayer last night. I really enjoyed it, spent a lot of time doing the "what do we know him/her from" thing though!

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Seeing Lord Varys with hair and a tie and swearing is surreal.

You should see him dressed as a smurf in Peter Kays Car Share!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I wrote a big long review which Boards somehow managed to bin without posting. Key points:-

It had a weird placelessness like a Scandi Noir that didn't feel very Dublin considering the title.

Hard to take the leads seriously as Dublin detectives based on all Dublin detectives in known memory.

The early scene where she counts down 3,2,1 to the interviewee crumbling under interrogation was cringey and cliché.

Their decision to head out the end of Dun Laoghaire pier with mugs of tea and rasher sandwiches on a grim morning was a bit baffling. Why would anyone like? Because the director of photography thinks it looks cool and moody? Right so.

I'll give it a couple more chances but not many. Heard great reviews of the books so I'd rather save them from being ruined for me by a poor adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought it was quiet boring. I do not know what some people here have against Darklands I actually thought that was quiet good and at least in Darklands something actually happened and you start to car for the characters. This did not have me caring for anyone in it. I most say do that your man in the morqe done a great post mortum of that poor girl do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was pretty cringeworthy at times. As others mentioned it touched on every cliche in the book. And what was the deal with the guy playing the police chief? It was like he was going for a cross between Father Stack and J. Jonah Jameson from the early Spider-Man movies.

At times I felt like your woman in the house: "Is this really happening? Aaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

I'll give the next episode a chance, mainly for Sarah Greene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Thought it was brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought it was pretty cringeworthy at times. As others mentioned it touched on every cliche in the book. And what was the deal with the guy playing the police chief? It was like he was going for a cross between Father Stack and J. Jonah Jameson from the early Spider-Man movies.

The character is pretty old-school cop in the book - sexist, cursing all the time, so the TV version is too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 60,474 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny was still host of the Late Late in 2006 so they got that wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A few of the cars also wrong at the airport but that's not a surprise.

Part two is much stronger though you do need to pay attention. Lots of characters and historical relationships to take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Why did they set this in 2006 and not the present day? Apart from smartphones not being around I don't see how it could change the story in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Im out. Its boring as hell and not one bit gripping. Second episode was the same for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I liked it. Like slow detective stories. However they probably need to learn to end on better cliffhangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭prunudo

One thing i didn't catch, was that Cas undercover as Lexie in the Mercedes or someone who looked liked her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Why did they set this in 2006 and not the present day? Apart from smartphones not being around I don't see how it could change the story in any way

In the books the theme of building a motorway over historical or even sacred grounds and the history of local protests against it is quite prominent and probably determined the setting.

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    One thing i didn't catch, was that Cas undercover as Lexie in the Mercedes or someone who looked liked her.

This is the plot for the 2nd book - The Likeness - so I guess we will find out more on that in the next episode.

Advertisement