Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR - THREE - VODAFONE GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is Three's 28 day prepay unlimited data plan, truly unlimited? Or is it the usual false advertising and they have some sort of a fair usage policy?

They are permanently scrapping their fair use policy so it will be truly unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Shn99 wrote: »
    They are permanently scrapping their fair use policy so it will be truly unlimited.

Thanks!

That's really great. Hopefully that sets a precedent for others and in a few years data caps will finally be a forgotten thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'm about to switch from Vodafone to Three.

Before I do can anyone confirm if the current SIM that Three uses will also work in a Router.

The reason I want to move is that I'm on Vodafone X €20 plan but the Sim does not work in a router so I can't use it for streaming Internet Tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Is anyone here on the Vodafone Red Unlimited sim only plan? Do you have wifi calling and 4G calling. I've been advised by a previous poster and a Vodafone customer care agent that wifi calling and 4G calling aren't available on sim only plans but when I asked them today how exactly I could get them, I was told that both are available on the sim only plans.

Does anyone have both wifi calling and 4G calling working on their phone? If so, what plan and contract length are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Is anyone here on the Vodafone Red Unlimited sim only plan? Do you have wifi calling and 4G calling. I've been advised by a previous poster and a Vodafone customer care agent that wifi calling and 4G calling aren't available on sim only plans but when I asked them today how exactly I could get them, I was told that both are available on the sim only plans.

Does anyone have both wifi calling and 4G calling working on their phone? If so, what plan and contract length are you on?

Im on Red Unlimited bill pay 24month contact , wifi calling works but 4g volte hasn't in a while but it did previously.

Could be down to your phone, what handset do you have?

• Advertisement

GIMP wrote: »
    Im on Red Unlimited bill pay 24month contact , wifi calling works but 4g volte hasn't in a while but it did previously.

Could be down to your phone, what handset do you have?

Thanks, a previous poster reckoned that it was a 24 month contract feature too. I'm not on bill pay with Vodafone but the phone should be fine once the contract settings allow it (iPhone 11). I'm just reluctant to switch and pay extra if I'm not going to get extra features...

I tried asking Vodafone on Facebook this morning and was told that wifi calling is 4G calling :rolleyes: but no answer to my question re what plans/contract lengths offer it. I've asked Vodafone three times and got three different answers - no-one there seems to know or understand it. Its a pity because the combination of wifi calling and VoLTE makes Vodafone unique in Ireland and you'd think that it'd be a strong selling point for them.

How safe is WiFi Calling. Can calls be intercepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

How safe is WiFi Calling. Can calls be intercepted?

WiFi calling uses a secure IPSec Tunnel end-to-end between your handset and the mobile network core. It is every bit as secure as any other mobile call. This should rule out any interception by hackers who might have access to your WiFi. (Of course, both Alphabet/Google/Android and Apple are US companies, and who knows if the US authorities might be able to intercept all Google & Apple mobiles by some mechanism)

By the way, the Vodafone WiFi calling still has some serious limitations vs the Eir version. Vodafone do not support texting over WiFi, or use while abroad, and the service is not available on basic SIM-only plans. All of these features are supported by Eir. While Vodafone is supposed to be able to support VoLTE, and handover between WiFi Calling and VoLTE, evidence of this working seems to be a bit sketchy. Personally, I would rather have use abroad, texting vs handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

Thanks, a previous poster reckoned that it was a 24 month contract feature too. I'm not on bill pay with Vodafone but the phone should be fine once the contract settings allow it (iPhone 11). I'm just reluctant to switch and pay extra if I'm not going to get extra features...

I tried asking Vodafone on Facebook this morning and was told that wifi calling is 4G calling :rolleyes: but no answer to my question re what plans/contract lengths offer it. I've asked Vodafone three times and got three different answers - no-one there seems to know or understand it. Its a pity because the combination of wifi calling and VoLTE makes Vodafone unique in Ireland and you'd think that it'd be a strong selling point for them.

That's me :)

I asked their Twitter and they said no - Twitter support seems to be the most reliable so I'm inclined to go with that.

That's Vodafone's support in a nutshell though - you can ask three different agents and get three different answer, none 100% definitive!

If you were willing to risk it you could sign up to their SIM only plan and then use the 30 day Network Satisfaction Guarantee to back out if it turns out that it is definitely not available on SIM only.

It's not available on their Enterprise plans or even their own staff affinity plan so I'd not be surprised if it is a definite no though!

WiFi calling uses a secure IPSec Tunnel end-to-end between your handset and the mobile network core. It is every bit as secure as any other mobile call. This should rule out any interception by hackers who might have access to your WiFi. (Of course, both Alphabet/Google/Android and Apple are US companies, and who knows if the US authorities might be able to intercept all Google & Apple mobiles by some mechanism)

By the way, the Vodafone WiFi calling still has some serious limitations vs the Eir version. Vodafone do not support texting over WiFi, or use while abroad, and the service is not available on basic SIM-only plans. All of these features are supported by Eir. While Vodafone is supposed to be able to support VoLTE, and handover between WiFi Calling and VoLTE, evidence of this working seems to be a bit sketchy. Personally, I would rather have use abroad, texting vs handover.

Thanks, that very helpful. I wasnt aware Eir had WiFi Calling as well.

What are the main advantages of WiFi calling? I'm currently on Vodafone X but am considering moving to Three so that I can use Three Sims data in my Router also. Would the option of WiFi calling be a deal breaker?

For example can it be used if the LTE Network is down. I presume if the Network is down completely calls or data cannot be made/used on either LTE or Wifi.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that very helpful. I wasnt aware Eir had WiFi Calling as well.

What are the main advantages of WiFi calling? I'm currently on Vodafone X but am considering moving to Three so that I can use Three Sims data in my Router also. Would the option of WiFi calling be a deal breaker?

For example can it be used if the LTE Network is down. I presume if the Network is down completely calls or data cannot be made/used on either LTE or Wifi.

Eir was the first to launch WiFi Calling - several years before Vodafone launched their half-baked service.

The main advantage is free calls when abroad and on WiFi outside of the EU. Obviously within the EU, you already have free roaming calls, so this advantage is mainly to avoid exorbitant roaming rates outside of EU. Of course, it may become more useful after Dec, if UK leaves the EU trading agreement and thus loses free roaming rights! Another advantage is the ability to create seamless coverage within buildings with poor indoor coverage. This is becoming increasingly important in recent years, as Ireland moves towards buildings with higher levels of insulation. Building insulation, and A-Rated windows incorporate metallic layers which reflect mobile signals, as well as heat. Many new buildings have almost no mobile coverage in parts, and WiFi is the best means to compensate. Since you are already likely to install good WiFi for data coverage, it makes sense to use the same network for voice.

Another advantage is that you aren't entirely dependent on the mobile network RAN. If the RAN is down, for a 5G upgrade, due to a fault, or just overloaded due to COVID-19, your traffic is carried directly on the fixed fibre network, so bypassing all the usual bottlenecks.

You might say - why not use WhatsApp, Skype etc - and for person-to-person calls these are a viable alternative. However, when it comes to making or receiving calls to/from businesses, (eg Hospitals, Banks, GP Surgeries etc), these are rarely accessible on WhatsApp. Also the increasing number of 2FA authentication services that use Text, from banks, internet services etc - you can't do with WhatsApp (but remember Vodafone don't support texts either so will have a problem with 2FA).

Eir was the first to launch WiFi Calling - several years before Vodafone launched their half-baked service.

The main advantage is free calls when abroad and on WiFi outside of the EU. Obviously within the EU, you already have free roaming calls, so this advantage is mainly to avoid exorbitant roaming rates outside of EU. Of course, it may become more useful after Dec, if UK leaves the EU trading agreement and thus loses free roaming rights! Another advantage is the ability to create seamless coverage within buildings with poor indoor coverage. This is becoming increasingly important in recent years, as Ireland moves towards buildings with higher levels of insulation. Building insulation, and A-Rated windows incorporate metallic layers which reflect mobile signals, as well as heat. Many new buildings have almost no mobile coverage in parts, and WiFi is the best means to compensate. Since you are already likely to install good WiFi for data coverage, it makes sense to use the same network for voice.

Another advantage is that you aren't entirely dependent on the mobile network RAN. If the RAN is down, for a 5G upgrade, due to a fault, or just overloaded due to COVID-19, your traffic is carried directly on the fixed fibre network, so bypassing all the usual bottlenecks.

You might say - why not use WhatsApp, Skype etc - and for person-to-person calls these are a viable alternative. However, when it comes to making or receiving calls to/from businesses, (eg Hospitals, Banks, GP Surgeries etc), these are rarely accessible on WhatsApp. Also the increasing number of 2FA authentication services that use Text, from banks, internet services etc - you can't do with WhatsApp (but remember Vodafone don't support texts either so will have a problem with 2FA).

Thanks for taking the time to type the detailed reply above.

My current setup is Vodafone X €20 payg plan for phone and a €20 unlimited plan payg Mobile Broadband sim with Three for Router/Android Tv. I don't have FTTH so I depend on Mobile Broadband for Home WiFi.

What would be the best setup so that I could also avail of WiFi Calling? Would I need to be on a Bill pay contract and have separate Phone and Home Internet plans?

Thanks for taking the time to type the detailed reply above.

My current setup is Vodafone X €20 payg plan for phone and a €20 unlimited plan payg Mobile Broadband sim with Three for Router/Android Tv. I don't have FTTH so I depend on Mobile Broadband for Home WiFi.

What would be the best setup so that I could also avail of WiFi Calling? Would I need to be on a Bill pay contract and have separate Phone and Home Internet plans?

Neither Vodafone nor Eir offer WiFi Calling on PAYG, but Eir do offer it on their most basic SIM-only bill-pay tariffs, from €14.99pm (for non Eir customers - €9.99 for existing Eir customers). You could select the €14.99 Eir plan instead of your Vodafone X €20 plan. I have no idea whether your Three mid-band service is good enough to support WiFi calling. WiFi calling requires consistent high quality broadband - particularly low jitter and latency, and is probably best on a fibre-based service such as FTTC or FTTH. If you don't have FTTC or FTTH, you might need 5G - but this will cost you more, and is only available from Eir or Vodafone. Unless you live in an A-Rated home, or have coverage issues, you may not currently need WiFi calling at home? For me the biggest advantage is the free roaming abroad.

Neither Vodafone nor Eir offer WiFi Calling on PAYG, but Eir do offer it on their most basic SIM-only bill-pay tariffs, from €14.99pm (for non Eir customers - €9.99 for existing Eir customers). You could select the €14.99 Eir plan instead of your Vodafone X €20 plan. I have no idea whether your Three mid-band service is good enough to support WiFi calling. WiFi calling requires consistent high quality broadband - particularly low jitter and latency, and is probably best on a fibre-based service such as FTTC or FTTH. If you don't have FTTC or FTTH, you might need 5G - but this will cost you more, and is only available from Eir or Vodafone. Unless you live in an A-Rated home, or have coverage issues, you may not currently need WiFi calling at home? For me the biggest advantage is the free roaming abroad.

Thanks, my Three coverage is sluggish enough during the day so it's probably not a realistic option for me.

Considering Gomo use the Eir Network have they any plans for offering WiFi Calling?

Thanks, my Three coverage is sluggish enough during the day so it's probably not a realistic option for me.

Considering Gomo use the Eir Network have they any plans for offering WiFi Calling?

Unlikely.

If they wanted to introduce it they could easily have done so from Day 1 as they've essentially just rehashed what was the Meteor network which had WiFi Calling.

Expect GoMo will be the no frills, take it or leave it, type operation and if you want the extras then you need to take out a more expensive Eir plan.

KildareP wrote: »
    Unlikely.

If they wanted to introduce it they could easily have done so from Day 1 as they've essentially just rehashed what was the Meteor network which had WiFi Calling.

Expect GoMo will be the no frills, take it or leave it, type operation and if you want the extras then you need to take out a more expensive Eir plan.

Its a pity because it would be a great addition. I'm considering using them for Midband instead of Three but the 80Gb limit is a drawback.

Thanks for your help with this. I had never considered WiFi Calling until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I know they're just using a loophole but still... how can this be allowed? This is a blatant misleading of customers.

"The data is unlimited, but after 80GB, we'll slow the speed down to unusable. But go ahead, the data is unlimited, so you can download as much as you want".

I'm glad more people are starting to pay attention to this nonsense.

z2esSaP.png

b7TLmPW.png

oUOKnzd.png

UhfX6kr.png

Does anyone know if Vodafone’s 10 Mbps cap on the Red Unlimited SIM only plan is actually enforced?

I’m getting up to 20 Mbps on a Vodafone PAYG sim so I’m curious if PAYG is offering something that the cheaper bill pay plan doesn’t

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Used to move around Eir's sim only plans every 6 months to get best deal.

Bastards have stopped it meaning I'm about to go up from promo offer of €14.99 to €29.99. Wanted to jump on the €14.99 plan again.

Now I know I could move to gomo but the negative feedback thread scares me a bit....

Used to move around Eir's sim only plans every 6 months to get best deal.

Bastards have stopped it meaning I'm about to go up from promo offer of €14.99 to €29.99. Wanted to jump on the €14.99 plan again.

Now I know I could move to gomo but the negative feedback thread scares me a bit....

To be honest it is probably better than Eir at the moment.

Eir livechat is permanently unresponsive, their phone support has hold times well in excess of an hour and they are not responding to e-mails.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

KildareP wrote: »
    To be honest it is probably better than Eir at the moment.

Eir livechat is permanently unresponsive, their phone support has hold times well in excess of an hour and they are not responding to e-mails.

True, their 1905 number can no longer connect people, I found out the above via Twitter DM with @eircare

I used to find live chat worked well.

Eir amuses me, it's always been ****e even with different owners over the years. I'd love to know how their head of customer care keeps their job as the internet is riddled with frustration and even the CEO gets grief on their personal twitter account (which in fairness they respond to) although I tried emailing her after a fibre broad band cock up and got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Anybody having trouble logging in to the My3 app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Gooser14 wrote: »

Working fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’m on a 24 month Red Connect contract with Vodafone that includes Spotify Premium.
    My contract runs until late next year.
    Today I received a text message from Vodafone saying my Spotify Premium would be no longer included after the end of July!??
    Did anyone else get this message? I’m thinking it must have been sent as an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Anj1813

Hello All. Only one question, befor Ill go to Vodafone Salon, again and again...
    Why, 12 months after I left Vodafone, I still having emails from Vodafone, every month:
    Your revised final bill is now available. To view your bill, log on to vodafone.ie/mybill or via My Vodafone app.
    This bill includes charges that have been incurred since your last bill.

Your current invoice is -€39.19.

Your outstanding balance is -€39.19 and is due for payment on 08 July 2020.

Any one with similar experience?

Good day to All :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They owe you money, contact their billing dept and get the amount refunded to your bank account etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Anj1813

Ten Pin wrote: »
    They owe you money, contact their billing dept and get the amount refunded to your bank account etc.

Thats the problem. With out vodafone ph No cant be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Anyone know where I can get the Network unlock code for a Doro Phoneasy 622 which is currently locked to Vodafone. This is an old phone which hasn't been in use for a couple of years so I don't think I can request the unlock code from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I've never tried the phone app, but have you heard about the Three website 'revamp' (not my word!)?
    If not, it could be the first sign of being one of the latest batch of people to be 'upgraded' to their new website, meaning having to re-register at my3. The new system needs a separate email address for each device registered, and it's been taking people anything from a few minutes to weeks to get into my3 again. If you do need to do this I'd advise reading this thread before starting on it (it's just the one I know - there may be others).
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058070168

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I am trying to sync my EIR mobile account with my online account so I can view and access bills. My account info I was given in the shop will not work I am getting 'an error occurred' notification.

their online service is quite an experience. I called into a shop and was given the same account number that I already tried (my existing account number), then the advice to contact eir online or via phone.

Any advice or direction would be massively appreciated.

Advertisement