Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR - THREE - VODAFONE GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It wasn't a wonder 3 in particular closed the talk to facility, they were rightly slaughtered on it. Their twitter care feed is Hillarious and hasn't sorted their care issues but best of all is the Facebook page, look for post from others, absolutely shocking that they actually allow some of the stuff be seen by the general public.

The harsh Reality of Communication companies is they infact don't want to communicate with their customers and indeed actively put barriers in the way. Their greatest Tool is abuse of GDPR rules, never in the history of Business has a single piece of EU legislation been abused as much as GDPR and not just communications companies, Utilities too becoming adept at not wishing to communicate with their customers. Its becoming the new norm I fear.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Got a text from Three. It seems 5g is now active on their Network.

Text from Three
    From Three. 5G from Three is here with quicker download speeds! Plus we have more 5G sites than any other Irish network. 5G for all means 5G for all - just grab a booster on our new prepay plans and go. Explore 5G for you 3.ie/5G

Edit:
    Article on it https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/three-ireland-switches-on-5g-network-around-the-country-1.4366332?
    mode=amp

There are a number of benefits to the new generation of mobile technology, with data speeds of up to 1Gbit per second possible. That makes it an average of five to 10 times faster than the typical 4G connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Heard them talking about it on the radio.
    It will be a long time until it gets to me. Only got 4G last year but in fairness very few problems.
    What's the cost as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Heard them talking about it on the radio.
    It will be a long time until it gets to me. Only got 4G last year but in fairness very few problems.
    What's the cost as a matter of interest?

Starting at €20 (€15 + €5 5G add on) a month with Three for unlimited calls, text and data (5G).

Not bad at all in my opinion.

We do seem to be in the middle of a price war between the networks (and other utilities as far as I can see), people have more time to shop around when WFH I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Starting at €20 (€15 + €5 5G add on) a month with Three for unlimited calls, text and data (5G).

The 15e 3 PAYG plan has only 1GB data. The 5G add on is "5G Access", it just lets you use 1GB faster.

Unlimited data is on the 20 and 30 plans, 5e extra for 5G.

25e per 4 weeks for unlimited 5G, seems reasonable if signal is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Apologies, I was referring to the Bill Pay Sim only plan

https://www.three.ie/plans/sim-only/bill-pay/

But on second look, it is only until the end of the year.
    3 Bill Pay Unlimited SIMO
    €14.76 Per month until 2021.
    €29.51/month thereafter.

5G
    + €4.92/month

Lads does anyone know where on the Eir website I can order a replacement SIM. I've been looking but can't find it

In getting no response by phone or Twitter.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Lads does anyone know where on the Eir website I can order a replacement SIM. I've been looking but can't find it

In getting no response by phone or Twitter.

Thanks

I think you have to go into a store to get a replacement SIM, ie one that is no longer working or lost. That's the case with Vodafone anyway and is to do with security and identity issues.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I think you have to go into a store to get a replacement SIM, ie one that is no longer working or lost. That's the case with Vodafone anyway and is to do with security and identity issues.

I calling one if their stores and they said they have no way of verifying identity and to use the website instead but they couldn't give me a specific link to it

They might have meant they just couldn't do it over the phone though so I call them back just to be sure.

Eirs customer care is non existent at this stage.

Edit:
    Just got a reply on Twitter. They no longer provide replacement Sims online. You must go in store

So in a Pandemic they force you to travel. Unreal

Btw if people need numbers to contact them on try these that were recommended to me by one if the stores:
    01 430 7066
    1800 500 300

While I know it's a PITA, especially with Covid, I do understand the reasoning for this, given the issue of sim-swap fraud

When you go to the Eir shop, be sure to have the identity proof required as it'll be even more of a PITA to have to go back empty handed. I hear that a passport is sometimes necessary, though if I remember correctly, a driving licence was enough with Vodafone (at the time).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Anybody noticed or know that Vodafone throttles traffic? I tried tethering and using AnyDesk but the connection drops out all the time. In the evening everything seems to be working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

anyone using wifi calling on the few networks that actually support it. whats it like reliability wise? my poor vodafone signal has all but disappeared in the last while. In a poor network area for all providers despite what the comreg map says vodafone had been the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cork981

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone using wifi calling on the few networks that actually support it. whats it like reliability wise? my poor vodafone signal has all but disappeared in the last while. In a poor network area for all providers despite what the comreg map says vodafone had been the best of the bunch.

I’m using WiFi calling with Eir. Pretty flawless, fast call setup and very good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I have found Eir's WiFi Calling service to be rock solid. It is available on all Eir's bill-pay plans, including their €9.99 Sim-only in-bundle plan. It works while roaming abroad, saving a fortune on roaming fees outside of EU (when we get to travel again!). It supports HD Voice and text messaging.

By comparison, the Vodafone service is still quite limited. Unlike Eir, Vodafone do not yet support Text Messaging, and do not allow use while roaming. Text messaging, while dying out as a means of P2P communication, is still vital for receiving 2 factor-authentication messages from banks etc.

With any WiFi calling service, you need to have good seamless WiFi across your home. If you have a large home, you should consider a mesh WiFi system, as it guarantees clean handovers when you move from one zone to the next. Avoid standalone WiFi homeplug extenders if you are using WiFi calling.

Cork981 wrote: »
    I’m using WiFi calling with Eir. Pretty flawless, fast call setup and very good quality.
    I have found Eir's WiFi Calling service to be rock solid. It is available on all Eir's bill-pay plans, including their €9.99 Sim-only in-bundle plan. It works while roaming abroad, saving a fortune on roaming fees outside of EU (when we get to travel again!). It supports HD Voice and text messaging.

By comparison, the Vodafone service is still quite limited. Unlike Eir, Vodafone do not yet support Text Messaging, and do not allow use while roaming. Text messaging, while dying out as a means of P2P communication, is still vital for receiving 2 factor-authentication messages from banks etc.

With any WiFi calling service, you need to have good seamless WiFi across your home. If you have a large home, you should consider a mesh WiFi system, as it guarantees clean handovers when you move from one zone to the next. Avoid standalone WiFi homeplug extenders if you are using WiFi calling.

thanks for the info.. guess its eir then.:eek:

home wifi is more than well taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

thanks for the info.. guess its eir then.:eek:

home wifi is more than well taken care of.

If you are bringing your existing handsets with you from a different provider, remember that WiFi calling handsets need to have the carrier-specific server settings in order for the service to work. If you buy your handsets from Eir, they will come with the Eir settings. If not, Android handsets (eg Samsung) may need to be flashed with the Eir firmware. iPhone handsets are able to download the settings from Apple.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I would love the option of buying data that lasted a bit longer than 28 days. This would suit me a lot better than more data for the short period. No provider offers that, unfortunately.
    With Postmobile, all add-ons, including data, last for 60 days.

Is that still the case....
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111326772&postcount=11

Vodafone's 5GB for 5e is OK value if 48 / 3 signal is poor.

Quackster wrote: »

That's interesting, thanks - I didn't know that. I'll check it out, but have recently signed up for 48 to see how it will work out.

I wouldn't use their100GBs of data in a month of Sundays, especially with Covid restrictions and good home Wifi, but at 7.99 a calendar month for everything, it seems like a good solution

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is that still the case....
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111326772&postcount=11

Vodafone's 5GB for 5e is OK value if 48 / 3 signal is poor.
    I can confirm it was the case until early this year as I had a relative on Postmobile using the €5 for 75 mins add-on every two months. But you can't see add-on details without logging into a Postmobile account so can't check the current situation as they've since moved to another provider.

I've been playing around with a 48 SIM the past few weeks but Vodafone upping their €5 data add-on to 5GB is a game-changer for me. My monthly usage would be comfortably under 5GB and speed & coverage is vastly superior on Vodafone based on my recent experience.

But you can't see add-on details without logging into a Postmobile account so can't check the current situation as they've since moved to another provider.

They're hiding that page well for whatever reason.

Archive of add-on page from 3 years ago...
    http://web.archive.org/web/20171214215302/https://postmobile.ie/add-on/

6.5GB €20

3GB €10

1GB €5

500MB €3

If they're still the same price then only very low usage on the 5e and 3e add ons are worth it as the 10e and 20e add ons are way behind the current euro per GB per month level of the options available from other providers.

Vodafone seems to have issues with some sites. For example,

mega.nz does not load at all
    broadbandspeedtest.ie does not work (powered by speedtest.net)
    speedtest.net does not work

Those of you that are on Vodafone, could you please check if the above sites work for you on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Vodafone seems to have issues with some sites. For example,

mega.nz does not load at all
    broadbandspeedtest.ie does not work (powered by speedtest.net)
    speedtest.net does not work

Those of you that are on Vodafone, could you please check if the above sites work for you on your phone?

I use the speedtest app, no issues

TheDriver wrote: »
    I use the speedtest app, no issues

The app works for me too...

fnAmmDW.png

However, on the website I get this...

OE9ow1s.png

And the other website...

cmiVhPG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm currently on the 9.99 gomo deal, and just got a 48 sim. I'd like to switch, when's the best time to switch, so I don't pay double for a month. I get a gomo bill on the first of every month.

EECC notice from Three

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/1

Couple of the main points...
    4. Removal of prohibition on tethering
    Effective from 21 December 2020, we will remove any term from our plans that does not allow tethering, the use of your handset as a modem or the use of your SIM in conjunction with a modem.

There is no change from the way that customers can use data with their plans. Any old term that did not allow tethering was not enforced.

Worst kept secret ever.
    5. Prepay credit refunds
    From 21 December 2020, when a customer switches from Three to another operator, the customer can request a refund of their remaining prepay credit balance.

To process the refund request, an administration fee of €10.45 (inclusive of VAT) will be applied and deducted from the credit balance. The remaining credit balance minus the administrative fee will be the refund a customer is eligible for. Only prepay credit purchased after 21 December 2020 will be eligible for refund. Bonus or promotional credit will not be included. The request for a credit refund must be made within three months from the date of switching.

Eir have a similar fee for credit refund. If ya think €10.45 is high...Eir's fee is €20.

Anyone have issues activating WiFi calling on iPhone with eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TheYardStick

I got an Eir sim in August and it's behaving very strangely. I've only topped it up once but had my Simply Unlimited plan run for two months (I didn't even realise until they sent a text to say it was due to expire the next day) and now every couple of days they're sending me €3 free credit to use within a week.

Usually wouldn't argue with something for free but the lack of any indication why I'm getting all this free credit is odd. Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2020/

Comreg report. Am I reading it right that when GOMO launched in Q4 2019, eir increased market share by 2-3% only and barely affected vodafone and to a small extent, three group (which I assume includes 48). And virgin/postmobile/lyca don't feature much at all.

So with all the chat and bargain alerts on there, it makes up quite a small subscriber base for these cheap deals?

Advertisement