Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR - THREE - VODAFONE GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'm on Pay as You Go (Vodafone X plan with unlimited data) and Vodafone just swallowed all 30 euro of my credit i had ón my account.

I questioned it and live chat told me that it was because I tethered my phone someday in December, 200mb = 30 euro?

I was never aware they charged for tethering. How can they do this? Asked the live chat agent for detailed charges and they couldn't provide any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

They do. Three does the same for o2 customers(old accounts that was switched to three when they bought o2).

It was challenged in Italy but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I questioned it and live chat told me that it was because I tethered my phone someday in December, 200mb = 30 euro?

I was never aware they charged for tethering. How can they do this? Asked the live chat agent for detailed charges and they couldn't provide any info.

Last I checked it's 19 cent per MB so 30e is about 160MB.

Can you delete the HS APN? Android >8 and Iphones are the main culprits for this charging for background APN switching which of itself is questionable since they aren't allowed specify how you use data.

IMO, never allow spare credit to build up, use it in play store if possible and/or for add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'm on Pay as You Go (Vodafone X plan with unlimited data) and Vodafone just swallowed all 30 euro of my credit i had ón my account.

It's one of the reasons I left Vodafone. Data should be charged at the same amount whether it's used in your phone or via a hotspot. On iPhone they locked the apn settings so you can't delete the HS hotspot to prevent the charges and more recent versions of android have also made it more difficult in some cases to remove it. It's a mistake you only make once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thanks lads. Would love to know how to delete the HS apn. Only time I've been charged is now, when I had available credit for them to take. Hotspot works fine otherwise. They are dreadful for this stuff.

Edit: found the HS.vodafone.com is my apn. Changed it to live.vodafone.com instead. Might that do the trick for future?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

loki7777 wrote: »
    They do. Three does the same for o2 customers(old accounts that was switched to three when they bought o2).

It was challenged in Italy but not here.
    Three has scrapped tethering charges on old O2 accounts to comply with the new EU EECC directive.

DopeTech wrote: »
    It's one of the reasons I left Vodafone. Data should be charged at the same amount whether it's used in your phone or via a hotspot. On iPhone they locked the apn settings so you can't delete the HS hotspot to prevent the charges and more recent versions of android have also made it more difficult in some cases to remove it. It's a mistake you only make once.
    Background switching to, or locking of, the HS APN for tethering would be a clear breach of the EECC IMO. Unfortunately, its coming into force in this country, which was supposed to be on December 21st last year, has been postponed by a few months.

Quackster wrote: »
    Three has scrapped tethering charges on old O2 accounts to comply with the new EU EECC directive.
    Correction, just noticed that Three has sneakily pushed out this contract change, despite having previously notified customers that this would happen on December 21st last.

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/billpay/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Background switching to, or locking of, the HS APN for tethering would be a clear breach of the EECC IMO. Unfortunately, its coming into force in this country, which was supposed to be on December 21st last year, has been postponed by a few months.

I don't know enough about the legal or regulatory technicalities of it but AIUI this was actually part of a 2015 EU directive which included clauses about net neutrality. The EECC directive is being used as a cover by Three to remove the tethering/modem ban that should have been removed after 2015.

At least Three weren't enforcing tethering charges (except on O2) but Vodafone have been ripping customers off for a long time with this charge and by the looks of it are continuing to do so.

Three and VF in UK were under investigation in 2018 about issues including tethering and the investigation was closed when they agreed to comply with concerns about net neutrality on their networks.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/ofcom-uk-drops-net-neutrality-probe-of-three-uk-and-vodafone.html

I'm sure Vodafone will say that it's the phone that's doing it and blame Google and Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Contract with three is up in a 3 months time (€44.26 per month), what's the best way of haggling with them to lower the price

Im interested in upgrading my phone to the new S21 and more than likely that will affected my monthly price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm thinking of switching from Vodafone to Three ( via Tesco Mobile) and I'm hoping somebody could let me know what the Three coverage is like in West Cork around Clonakilty area., especially indoor 4G ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Three have just added €3.71 plus VAT monthly to my bill pay as I don't pay by DD, anyone else seen this. BTW just tried to set up a DD on the Three site and the link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

galtee boy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of switching from Vodafone to Three ( via Tesco Mobile) and I'm hoping somebody could let me know what the Three coverage is like in West Cork around Clonakilty area., especially indoor 4G ?

https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker/

Clonakilty and the surrounding areas look to be well covered for indoor 4G.

No 5G coverage yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thinking of switching to sim only pay as you go cus my maths show it saving a fair bit and your not locked into a contract.

Currently im on three billpay 300 and gonna switch to 3 prepay 20 with 5g extra is there anything i am missing that should make be think twice about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I reached out to eir today to ask about esim as I'm thinking of getting an apple watch and was considering a cellular one. They seem to be launching this in the coming weeks. Just an FYI incase any of you were interested. They would be the first network in Ireland to offer this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Upgrading handsets on billpay seems to be expensive now. I'm on three, it's actually more expensive for me to "upgrade" today the the same phone I upgraded to 2 years ago! I got a P30 Pro 2 years ago for something like €250 with a sonos speaker, it's €230 for me to upgrade to the same phone today without the speaker!

All other handsets seem to be a lot more expensive than usual too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cienciano wrote: »
    All other handsets seem to be a lot more expensive than usual too.

Ive found the same too, for me its cheaper to switch to a pay as you go plan that's virtually identical to my billpay one but 15 quid cheaper and buy an S21 256gb out of contract with a trade in on my p20.

Also Three have no option to buy the 256gb model and when I contacted them said they dont plan to offer it which just baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ive found the same too, for me its cheaper to switch to a pay as you go plan that's virtually identical to my billpay one but 15 quid cheaper and buy an S21 256gb out of contract with a trade in on my p20.

Also Three have no option to buy the 256gb model and when I contacted them said they dont plan to offer it which just baffles me.

I noticed the same, I can switch to a deal that's about a tenner cheaper as there's nothing worth upgrading to. Weird. I'll wait till the contract is fully up and see what's available on other email, normally the incentive is there to upgrade and stay for another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Anyone have any experience with Eir 5G ? I was with Three 5Gg for a few months and speed were generally impressive getting over 500mb regularly.

I moved to Eir 5G this this weeks as it’s half the price bundled with my home broadband and speeds are absolutely horrendous - I get about 150mb if close to a few masts but in most areas I’m getting less than 5mb on 5G when I was getting >400mb on Three 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stuck2007

Craigels wrote: »
    I reached out to eir today to ask about esim as I'm thinking of getting an apple watch and was considering a cellular one. They seem to be launching this in the coming weeks. Just an FYI incase any of you were interested. They would be the first network in Ireland to offer this.

It does look like Eir are making changes to their network, I noticed over the past few weeks in certain areas that I am now able to make calls over 4G, and the IMS status on the iPhone reports the same.

Good to see some advancements on the network either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can't seem to check my existing prepay offer or balance on eir using 50104 anyone else experience the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Cork981 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with Eir 5G ? I was with Three 5Gg for a few months and speed were generally impressive getting over 500mb regularly.

I moved to Eir 5G this this weeks as it’s half the price bundled with my home broadband and speeds are absolutely horrendous - I get about 150mb if close to a few masts but in most areas I’m getting less than 5mb on 5G when I was getting >400mb on Three 5G.

Interested also in Eir if anyone wants to share

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

LFC Murphy wrote: »

Am trying to stay away from anything above 4G. Anything above that is microwave levels as far as I am aware.
    Dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

LFC Murphy wrote: »

It’s ok around the City (Cork) and suburbs, nothing amazing but more than enough for a mobile connection. They definitely don’t have as many 5G sites as Three and not as consistent.

VoLTE and WiFi calling is a good plus for Eir especially for indoor coverage.

If you drop back to Eir 4G it’s definitely not as good as Three 4G due to the fact that Three have considerably more spectrum since the 02 merger.

Advertisement