Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR - THREE - VODAFONE GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭bronkobilly

TheDriver wrote: »
    https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2020/

Comreg report. Am I reading it right that when GOMO launched in Q4 2019, eir increased market share by 2-3% only and barely affected vodafone and to a small extent, three group (which I assume includes 48). And virgin/postmobile/lyca don't feature much at all.

So with all the chat and bargain alerts on there, it makes up quite a small subscriber base for these cheap deals?
    postmobile uses the vodafone network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

TheDriver wrote: »
    https://www.comreg.ie/publication/quarterly-key-data-report-q2-2020/

Comreg report. Am I reading it right that when GOMO launched in Q4 2019, eir increased market share by 2-3% only and barely affected vodafone and to a small extent, three group (which I assume includes 48). And virgin/postmobile/lyca don't feature much at all.

So with all the chat and bargain alerts on there, it makes up quite a small subscriber base for these cheap deals?

Ireland has around 5million mobile subscribers, a 3% increase works out around 150,000. Thats not bad surely in a market that is quite mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

postmobile uses the vodafone network

I assume they still appear under the "others" grouping as they are a separate entity unlike GoMo which is owned by eir and 48 which is owned by three?

I appreciate 2% is a lot of people but it hadn't dawned on me that GoMo didn't pull in a massive amount of people. It also shows why VF don't bother cutting prices, they don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I assume they still appear under the "others" grouping as they are a separate entity unlike GoMo which is owned by eir and 48 which is owned by three?

I appreciate 2% is a lot of people but it hadn't dawned on me that GoMo didn't pull in a massive amount of people. It also shows why VF don't bother cutting prices, they don't need to.

AFAIK Post mobile is in the "others" category with VM and Lyca.

For VM, mobile is a small add on to their fixed broadband business. Lyca have services in many other countries so it's not much effort to set up in Ireland.

Post mobile might make inroads into VF share with their 15e deal but they'd really want to be heading for 10e to make any significant impact. OTOH they might not want too many customers as their customer service team seems to be relatively small.

With around a third of the market and little change since Gomo launch and no apparent change (yet) since 48s 7.99 deal, Vodafone don't have to do anything with prices (yet).

Ten Pin wrote: »
    AFAIK Post mobile is in the "others" category with VM and Lyca.

For VM, mobile is a small add on to their fixed broadband business. Lyca have services in many other countries so it's not much effort to set up in Ireland.

Post mobile might make inroads into VF share with their 15e deal but they'd really want to be heading for 10e to make any significant impact. OTOH they might not want too many customers as their customer service team seems to be relatively small.

With around a third of the market and little change since Gomo launch and no apparent change (yet) since 48s 7.99 deal, Vodafone don't have to do anything with prices (yet).
    That report very much opens your eyes to why VF don't have to do anything for now. GoMo seems to have largely affected Eir and/or three with little effect on VF. I would suspect the 48 effect will only change around the three/eir dynamic with some movement in the Others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So my content is still blocked and Vodafone's "support" is doing nothing. Can I contact Comreg about this? Would this be a valid case?

CyberGhost wrote: »
    So my content is still blocked and Vodafone's "support" is doing nothing. Can I contact Comreg about this? Would this be a valid case?

Comreg will only listen to you once you have exhausted VF complaints procedure and you've waiting 10 days I think.
    You must contact VF and ask to lodge a complaint, it's on their website somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eiritated

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone have issues activating WiFi calling on iPhone with eir?

Yes. Just ported over and they simply cannot get it working. Spent 3-4 hours now on phone with them over past couple of weeks and visited store. Was told they were rebooting the system over the weekend before last so it should work by Monday but didn't help. In the store they said they'd heard of a general problem too but no specifics.

I am lucky as I was still in cooling off period for 24 month contract so am returning the lot as this is an essential for us. We had eir WiFi calling back in 2017/2018 and it was pretty good then. Something seems broken with activating right now.

Take this as a warning. Calling eir support - well they seem like nice enough people (a little rude at times but how would I feel sitting home taking calls all day!) - but they don't really know enough to solve these issues and don't seem very well supported by the back-end teams. It just goes round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

eiritated wrote: »
    Yes. Just ported over and they simply cannot get it working. Spent 3-4 hours now on phone with them over past couple of weeks and visited store. Was told they were rebooting the system over the weekend before last so it should work by Monday but didn't help. In the store they said they'd heard of a general problem too but no specifics.

I am lucky as I was still in cooling off period for 24 month contract so am returning the lot as this is an essential for us. We had eir WiFi calling back in 2017/2018 and it was pretty good then. Something seems broken with activating right now.

Take this as a warning. Calling eir support - well they seem like nice enough people (a little rude at times but how would I feel sitting home taking calls all day!) - but they don't really know enough to solve these issues and don't seem very well supported by the back-end teams. It just goes round in circles.

ya i had the same issues ported out in less than 24 hours but had a bit of a saga to port, port went through then eir blocked it, several emails and an escalation i actually got ported out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eiritated

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ya i had the same issues ported out in less than 24 hours but had a bit of a saga to port, port went through then eir blocked it, several emails and an escalation i actually got ported out.

I had been told a couple of times my case was 'escalated' but when you call back nobody knows anything about this escalation! One person told me this really means they've sent an email to someone else to take a look but to me there's no process to make sure the loop gets closed. All a bit of hit-and-hope.

Can you share the email address they actually respond on as no use on that either! I still want to try and get my 30-day SIMs working with WiFi Calling if possible.

Or maybe I should take the hint and just get Virgin as they seem to have a cheap plan with WiFi Calling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I was on a 30 day sim. There’s no issue with android. Went to Vodafone and WiFi calling works great

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gooduse

Did Three actually has no EUroamingcap?

Or is only Vodafone the operator where I can get real unlimited in the EU as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, I was wondering how they could get away with charging me 35pm (10e discount dropped recently), while there are ads everywhere for GoMo at 12.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Question regarding the eir network for everyone. What is the standard and coverage of the network in your experience. I've only ever been on the Three or Vodafone networks for the past 12 years and I've always had excellent coverage no matter where I am on both of those. I never seemed to affected by issues so many others complain about. At the moment I have BB and TV with eir and they've offered me a good deal on for mobile which I'm considering. I've never used eir for mobile though.

I'm not in Dublin so what is the coverage and speed like outside of the capital?

gmacww wrote: »
    Question regarding the eir network for everyone. What is the standard and coverage of the network in your experience. I've only ever been on the Three or Vodafone networks for the past 12 years and I've always had excellent coverage no matter where I am on both of those. I never seemed to affected by issues so many others complain about. At the moment I have BB and TV with eir and they've offered me a good deal on for mobile which I'm considering. I've never used eir for mobile though.

I'm not in Dublin so what is the coverage and speed like outside of the capital?

Don't. You could be ok and get great reception but I find it can go to no service in rural settings and also data speeds will be poor (again you could be lucky). The speeds vary a lot throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

Like all things its depends, where I am Eir have no coverage and I am not in the back end of nowhere.

Where I am VF is best followed by Three and then Eir (again though its no coverage really).

There are vodafone and three masts a mile from me. The nearest Eir one is 5 miles away. Different networks suit different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Does your phone show available mobile networks? If so, if eir appears (and consistently), I'd then ask neighbours about the quality (as nearby as possible, as small obstructions can make big differences). And/or do you know anyone who's on eir mobile data, passes your place, and could stop and check the signal? (I don't think any provider has the resources to know about their coverage in enough detail).

I'm trying out Three PAYG SIM currently and speeds are abysmal 3-5mbps. What's odd is that I'm also on 48.ie and it runs on Three's network and I'm getting 20mbps there.

Do three limit speeds for their PAYG SIMs?

I'm trying out Three PAYG SIM currently and speeds are abysmal 3-5mbps. What's odd is that I'm also on 48.ie and it runs on Three's network and I'm getting 20mbps there.

Do three limit speeds for their PAYG SIMs?

Same or different device for each speed test?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AlanPG

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Does your phone show available mobile networks? If so, if eir appears (and consistently), I'd then ask neighbours about the quality (as nearby as possible, as small obstructions can make big differences). And/or do you know anyone who's on eir mobile data, passes your place, and could stop and check the signal? (I don't think any provider has the resources to know about their coverage in enough detail).

Yeah I actually have a separate Eir phone for work..... no reception, even for calls - you might pick up a very weak signal occasionally. I know all the neighbours dont use it either. Just seems to be a bit of a blackspot. When I'm on the road for work its ok. In Dublin quite a bit for work and is fine as you would imagine.

• Advertisement

Same or different device for each speed test?

Same.

Same.

It might be throttling and/or congestion due to three's unlimited data. 48 data is routed through a different server and the 100GB limit means they probably don't care how fast the limit is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I removed my TV and broadband from Eir keeping my two mobiles on account as rolling contracts...I log on to My eir and it's saying I'm on a bundle with them for 2 years!!! 24 month contract, wtf!

Is this common?

want to move to go mo or an post

I wonder do Three limit the connection speed when the SIM is inserted into a non-phone?

I have a USB 4G Huawei router and whenever I put the 3 SIM in it, the max speed I can get is around 10mbps. Usually it hovers around 5-7mbps.

Whenever I put the same SIM in my phone, the speed goes up to 25-30mbps. My phone does say 4G+. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I wonder do Three limit the connection speed when the SIM is inserted into a non-phone?

I have a USB 4G Huawei router and whenever I put the 3 SIM in it, the max speed I can get is around 10mbps. Usually it hovers around 5-7mbps.

Whenever I put the same SIM in my phone, the speed goes up to 25-30mbps. My phone does say 4G+. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Have you selected 4g in the router settings? What model is the router?

I use a PP SIM in a Huawei router, 5G CPE pro and speeds are faster than my Phone on 4G+.

Have you selected 4g in the router settings? What model is the router?

I use a PP SIM in a Huawei router, 5G CPE pro and speeds are faster than my Phone on 4G+.

I have selected the 4G in it, yes, the model is: 8372h-320.

I know it's not the router because I was getting 40-50mpbs with Vodafone before they limited it to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Cork981

I have selected the 4G in it, yes, the model is: 8372h-320.

That modem doesn’t support carrier aggregation which your phone likely does. It’s a LTE cat4 modem with a max speed of 150mb under lab conditions.

Newer phone can support 3CA which is the aggregation of either 700mhz, 800mhz, 1800mhz and 2100mhz.

That modem will only use one of those at a time.

40-50mpbs on the Vodafone network using a single carrier is quite achievable as the network wouldn’t be as utilised as the 3 network which tends to have lots of heavy data users.

Cork981 wrote: »
    That modem doesn’t support carrier aggregation which your phone likely does. It’s a LTE cat4 modem with a max speed of 150mb under lab conditions.

Newer phone can support 3CA which is the aggregation of either 700mhz, 800mhz, 1800mhz and 2100mhz.

That modem will only use one of those at a time.

40-50mpbs on the Vodafone network using a single carrier is quite achievable as the network wouldn’t be as utilised as the 3 network which tends to have lots of heavy data users.

Very interesting. Thank you for the explanation!

EDIT: I just checked the phone's (Xperia XZ1 Compact) specifications and it does support aggregation.

XZ1 Compact: Network - HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat15 800/75 Mbps

I really like the form factor of 8372h-320, so I hope they'll release an upgraded model that supports aggregation some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭GIMP

Does anyone know if Vodafone detail their 5g coverage anywhere. Their website just links to the Comreg coverage site for 4/3/2g?

Advertisement