Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

kk.man wrote: »
    Wrapping today.

It is better quality feed imo

Theres no comparison between haylage that hasnt gotten rain than hay that was wrapped up due to getting rain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We haven’t made hay here in a shocking long time, maybe 1978/9 so I’m not up to speed on making it.

Anyway, lads say once hay gets wet it’s never as good
    Since making hay is only a drying process, and providing it gets sufficient drying after, what has it lost exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

_blaaz wrote: »
    It is better quality feed imo

Theres no comparison between haylage that hasnt gotten rain than hay that was wrapped up due to getting rain

Couldn't have put it better.

Hay and any rain don't mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    We haven’t made hay here in a shocking long time, maybe 1978/9 so I’m not up to speed on making it.

Anyway, lads say once hay gets wet it’s never as good
    Since making hay is only a drying process, and providing it gets sufficient drying after, what has it lost exactly?

Probably ammonium/nitrogen, some carbon, washed off bacteria, and maybe some other nutrients too.

Poor (rained out) hay is ammonium treated in various parts of the world to increase it's feeding value.

Probably ammonium/nitrogen, some carbon, washed off bacteria, and maybe some other nutrients too.

Poor (rained out) hay is ammonium treated in various parts of the world to increase it's feeding value.

Indeed.
    Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just bought 30 bales of hay, just going to make all silage out of the field I was thinking of making hay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Price?

Price?

€27 delivered from a neighbour.

€27 delivered from a neighbour.

Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

be more about €20 off the field here with the volume of hay made around the place !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

2smiggy wrote: »
    be more about €20 off the field here with the volume of hay made around the place !!

Anyone sellin hay for €20 are barely breaking even...better of storin it ..

_Brian wrote: »
    Super.

Yeah and it's good hay, saved without rain. The field is about 6 miles away so he needed a bit with the going rate so happy out with it.

It should do me for a good few years, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Taking it in on loads of about 40. Christ it’s a tough job fir two but 1 would be a rotten mission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Father told me in olden times,they used add salt to the cocks/reeks (idk difference) to sweeten hay that had got rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Curious, what happens to hay that can't be sold, given away or stored. Or is it the case that there is always someone who will take it.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Anyone sellin hay for €20 are barely breaking even...better of storin it ..

Yes if you can store and sell some other time all very well. Other than that the Market is the market. just like in late March of a bad winter you will get 50/bale
    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Curious, what happens to hay that can't be sold, given away or stored. Or is it the case that there is always someone who will take it.

I have seen it dumped into the side of hedges and ditches. Large square bales can be reeked in a field or yard quite sucessfully. Round are trickier to reek. It can be done but you must fill the holes or if reeked standing on end build some sort of cap and cover with plastic

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes if you can store and sell some other time all very well. Other than that the Market is the market. just like in late March of a bad winter you will get 50/bale

I have seen it dumped into the side of hedges and ditches. Large square bales can be reeked in a field or yard quite sucessfully. Round are trickier to reek. It can be done but you must fill the holes or if reeked standing on end build some sort of cap and cover with plastic

More fodder is made this year than usual too, crops 25%heavier etc, seems to be less cattle out on the land too and more fields in hay.
    There's plenty out there too that hadn't the slightest intention of storing it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Finished all of it, agreed a price to see all of it off the field. They started drawing today, and have 150 bales gone already. We have room to store the volume we made. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush and all that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

"Large square bales can be reeked in a field or yard quite sucessfully. Round are trickier to reek. "

What does reeking mean?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

80sDiesel wrote: »
    "Large square bales can be reeked in a field or yard quite sucessfully. Round are trickier to reek. "

What does reeking mean?

Stacking outside with a plastic cover over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Reeking round bales if you stack the rounds 3 on the ground 2 in the second row and 1 on top then trow a bit of plastic over like this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/farmproduce-for-sale/tarpaulin-covers-for-bales-straw-turf-wood/19284039

• Registered Users Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cute geoge wrote: »
    Reeking round bales if you stack the rounds 3 on the ground 2 in the second row and 1 on top then trow a bit of plastic over like this
    https://www.donedeal.ie/farmproduce-for-sale/tarpaulin-covers-for-bales-straw-turf-wood/19284039

They take up a large area. 100 round bales reeked like that would be an area 13'X70'. What would really catch you is trying to keep them off the ground. With the majority of the bales sitting on the ground you would loose a bit of hay unless you keep them off the ground. Pallets would be the best option at one pallet/bale you would need 50 of them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hay and hayledge all done!
    Baled hay in usual meadow fields and hayledge in fresher ground. Hay is like corn really it comes in quicker on older ground despite the same down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

cute geoge wrote: »

Would they not sweat/heat like mad under the plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I made a reek with the bales sitting on their end stacked 3 high and 3 wide one year .I put small sheets of ply over the spaces between the bales and a sheet of plastic on top weighed down with sand bags and strapped down as well.This was done in late October before the 1st storm carried the plastic down the field.I spent another hard day pulling the plastic up on it again and of course it was the winter we had a storm every week ,i ended up feeding all hay to the cattle for the months of November and December,nice bit of waste as well as the wet would soak down trough the bales.In matter of fact my neighbour who left his hay bales stacked along the ditch had less waste with only about 3/4 inches of the outside layer being damaged in his bales!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kk.man wrote: »
    Hay and hayledge all done!
    Baled hay in usual meadow fields and hayledge in fresher ground. Hay is like corn really it comes in quicker on older ground despite the same down time.

Same here. Last bit done today. Couple of old paddocks, made beautiful hay - even better than last years I reckon ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

gozunda wrote: »
    Same here. Last bit done today. Couple of old paddocks, made beautiful hay - even better than last years I reckon ..

All baked up and wrapped as well. It was very close to being in hay but away with work next week and couldn’t be arsed looking at it over next few days and threat of rain so said id wrap. At least I can sell over winter rather than looking at grass growing up around it. All stacked now in field beside gate. Do you need to put paint x on bales to keep crows away?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Whats the going rate to bale small bales?

Asked a lad lately what he is charging. 70cent. I think that the lower end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Muckit wrote:
    Asked a lad lately what he is charging. 70cent. I think that the lower end of things.

50 cent going rate near me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Sami23

Box09 wrote: »
    50 cent going rate near me

Same here

Advertisement