Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Has anyone ever left round hay bales outside and seen how they turn out in Jan / Feb?

Remember being in France years ago, and they were feeding bales of hay. The hay was out in the field all winter, snow on top of it. The top few inches looked bad, but after that was perfect.
    Now, different climate and not as much rain so it could be very different here, but just wondering if anyone had any experience of it...

Wouldn't it be cheaper wrap them than having the bit around the outside going bad which is the biggest part of the bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye they'd be so particular about baling it without rain and then just leave it there

What I can’t follow is some lads would spend 2 weeks turning hay in a spell of broken weather yet in a good dry year like last year or the recent spell lads would bale hay with big green patches for want of turning it.
    Seems the attitude is make ****e even when the sun shines...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Wouldn't it be cheaper wrap them than having the bit around the outside going bad which is the biggest part of the bale.

It would be more efficient / less waste to wrap, but cheaper - I suppose it depends on how you view it...

- If you know you only need, say 80% of the bales you have, and you aren't interested in selling - then by not wrapping you might have 20% waste, but you will still have the money from not wrapping in your pocket?
    - By wrapping, you will have spent money on wrap, but at the end of the winter, you will have 20% of your bales left over...

It would be more efficient / less waste to wrap, but cheaper - I suppose it depends on how you view it...

- If you know you only need, say 80% of the bales you have, and you aren't interested in selling - then by not wrapping you might have 20% waste, but you will still have the money from not wrapping in your pocket?
    - By wrapping, you will have spent money on wrap, but at the end of the winter, you will have 20% of your bales left over...

I'd rather have a few bales in the bank than a pile of dung anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd rather have a few bales in the bank than a pile of dung anyway.

Will it be alright though, I've seen very high DM silage preserve poorly in bales

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Will it be alright though, I've seen very high DM silage preserve poorly in bales

I have done it here. 24 wraps and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Very dry stuff needs to be fed fairly quickly once opened, otherwise goes mouldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye they'd be so particular about baling it without rain and then just leave it there

Has anyone ever left round hay bales outside and seen how they turn out in Jan / Feb?

Remember being in France years ago, and they were feeding bales of hay. The hay was out in the field all winter, snow on top of it. The top few inches looked bad, but after that was perfect.
    Now, different climate and not as much rain so it could be very different here, but just wondering if anyone had any experience of it...

Yea done it hear when ran out of space in shed. Comes to damn all harm, with the netting on it, water just ran off.
    Few dry or frosty days outside layer would be crispy, and would be ate, no waste at all ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Storing outside is not an option if you're selling, there'll be plenty in sheds available during tha winter and customers won't buy poorly stored

Oh I'm not saying otherwise. Just saying it's not actually better to leave them together in a heap compared to leaving out singly on the field (in terms of effect on the bales). I wouldn't do either, although as another poster mentioned above, the net wrap does help the water run off them. I think it might also be due to the fact that it keeps the outside of the bale kinda flat and smooth compared to twine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The other point though is if they are just left in the field you are not going to be able to use that field. Would you not want to be getting the grass back growing asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

It would....enough wraps

Thats what we tend to aim for,more or less hay,maybe a day or half day off saved,wrap it up then

We wrap here,what alot of other lads would take chance as hay ....

its serious stuff....its tends to be as good condition as day went into the bale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone here ever worry if your Hay heats a bit when put into the shed. Personally I wouldn't like any heat when it's put it but was talking to a lad over the wend who said the best Hay he ever had was stuff that heated a good bit in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Round bales of hay I made heating in shed and turning black. Will it all rot or is there anything I can do I save them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Sami23

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Round bales of hay I made heating in shed and turning black. Will it all rot or is there anything I can do I save them

Oh F*#k

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Might be worth getting them out of the shed - they could be a fire hazard

RobinBanks wrote: »

Black or brown?

Had hay before that heated and kinda fermenting in the bales in the shed. Not sure of the feed value of it, but the sheep were mad for it...

The only concern I'd have would be of fire all right. is there a load of bales in tight together?

https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/holt-boyd/testing-and-feeding-tobacco-brown-hay-and-silage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Sami23 wrote: »
    Anyone here ever worry if your Hay heats a bit when put into the shed. Personally I wouldn't like any heat when it's put it but was talking to a lad over the wend who said the best Hay he ever had was stuff that heated a good bit in the shed

Id stick my hand/crowbar as far into em as possible and see how hot its getting

Wouldnt be unheard of sheds to burn down over heating hay.....but we had stuff heat small bit here before and was grand after it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I seen my father putting salt on heating hay, both in the days when we used to have it loose in the shed and also in small bales. The cattle used to go mad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davidk1394

These weather apps don’t know what’s going on. I’ve 14ac left to make hay of. Grass is gone too strong for silage. If I mowed it last Saturday I’d be baling today. Didn’t get a drop of rain here.

With regards the salt. Do you put it on the bales when it’s heating or when your about to feed it ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    These weather apps don’t know what’s going on. I’ve 14ac left to make hay of. Grass is gone too strong for silage. If I mowed it last Saturday I’d be baling today. Didn’t get a drop of rain here.

With regards the salt. Do you put it on the bales when it’s heating or when your about to feed it ?

When I seen it done with the salt (a long time ago) - it was spread on the top of the bales in the shed. They were packed in tight...

It was like the salt was drawing the moisture out of the bales...
    In hindsight, it seems a risky proposition, packing in bales you suspect would heat - but I think it worked out ok...

Katymac will prob have a better explanation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Omallep2

Thinking of mowing 8 acres of light crop today in west. Would folks think I'm mad or is it worth the gamble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Thinking of mowing 8 acres of light crop today in west. Would folks think I'm mad or is it worth the gamble?
    Going doing the same myself. Apart from Tuesday the rest of the week is dry so it should be ok. Worse case you can always wrap it as well wilted haylage which is just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 releasevalve

Omallep2 wrote: »

Rang contractor to mow said it’s was race week worth the gamble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rang contractor to mow said it’s was race week worth the gamble!!

What’s race week??

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    What’s race week??

Galway races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Will this be a week for hay. No sign of rain in the next 7 days. First cut looking light enough.
    Temptation is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

20silkcut wrote: »
    Will this be a week for hay. No sign of rain in the next 7 days. First cut looking light enough.
    Temptation is there.

Bit early I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Tileman

Bit early I'd say.

Everything thing too light around here but weather looks good I’d you had something fit. Once there wasn’t too much nitrogen in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Tileman wrote: »
    Everything thing too light around here but weather looks good I’d you had something fit. Once there wasn’t too much nitrogen in it

Nitrogen doesn’t matter a damn with hay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Temptation got the better of me. Just finishing knocking 12 acres

Advertisement